Juneau Harbor Webcam

7 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

9/13/2020 This is the third sunny day in a row for Juneau (after a very damp and rainy 2020 season).  Thinking about booking a HAL ship for September 2021 round trip out of Seattle. 🌞🌞

That sounds like a plan!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Himself said:

Not so nice on September 18th.  This was to be the Volendam's final visit to Juneau. FRI the Volendam is now anchored off the Netherlands.

Ok, Juneau had 7 days of good weather in a row from the 11th to the 17th!  September is still looking good for a 2021 cruise.  Cool weather, shorter days, fewer people cruising in 2021.  It looks like the vaccine may be available by then!

2 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

Juneau had 7 days of good weather in a row from the 11th to the 17th!

The weather in Juneau has been better later in what would be the cruising season than what it has been for much of the earlier weeks.  

I wonder how the restaurants and the shop owners have fared this season.  

The seasonal shops  that follow the cruise trade would not have opened.  The local shops will have to adjust just like everybody else.  Alaskans are pretty resilient!  

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

The seasonal shops  that follow the cruise trade would not have opened.  The local shops will have to adjust just like everybody else.  Alaskans are pretty resilient!  

Someof the locals depend on Cruise business to keep going.  I suspect this has been most difficult for them.

On 9/18/2020 at 4:32 PM, rkacruiser said:

The weather in Juneau has been better later in what would be the cruising season than what it has been for much of the earlier weeks.  

On 9/19/2020 at 8:16 AM, oaktreerb said:

I've traveled to Juneau 3 times during this pandemic for work.  The shops near the pier were a ghost town, but most aren't locally owned anyways.  Otherwise, hotels were full, the restaurants that were open were busy, and other than the seaplanes and glacier visitors center, most of the town seemed to be business as usual.  In fact, during one of my visits, the Dallas Cowboys were in town.  Jerry Jones' yacht was catching a lot of attention in Auke Bay.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Otherwise, hotels were full, the restaurants that were open were busy, and other than the seaplanes and glacier visitors center, most of the town seemed to be business as usual.  In fact, during one of my visits, the Dallas Cowboys were in town.  Jerry Jones' yacht was catching a lot of attention in Auke Bay.

I am pleased to learn that the local establishments were busy.  The Diamonds International, etc.--I could care less.  I noticed Mr. Jones yacht was in town.  I thought the Port of Juneau was closed to cruise ships and their guests.  Is Mr. Jones, and whatever guests aboard there may have been, citizens of Alaska?  

I have seen other yachts with flags flying from their stern from other countries docked in Juneau.  Why are they able to visit Juneau when cruisers are not able to do so?  

Isn't the CDC rule that ships under 250 passengers are allowed to sail/port in U.S. water?  That would explain the several yachts that have tied up in Juneau this summer and that ill fated ship (Wilderness Adventurer., I think) that attempted a cruise out of Juneau and returned after a few days when one cruiser tested positive for COVID.

I had thought it might be nice to fly up to Juneau and spend a few weeks in a hotel, this summer and enjoy the area without the ships. But I didn't do it because of Alaska's quarantine and restrictions.

20 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Isn't the CDC rule that ships under 250 passengers are allowed to sail/port in U.S. water?  That would explain the several yachts that have tied up in Juneau this summer and that ill fated ship (Wilderness Adventurer., I think) that attempted a cruise out of Juneau and returned after a few days when one cruiser tested positive for COVID.

I had thought it might be nice to fly up to Juneau and spend a few weeks in a hotel, this summer and enjoy the area without the ships. But I didn't do it because of Alaska's quarantine and restrictions.

Thanks for your post.  I think you are correct in your thinking.  I had not thought of that under 250 passengers number.

I like your idea about visiting Juneau.  Having relatives who live near Anchorage, I would consider doing the same.  Except:  do I want to fly at this time?  Do I want to spend a week or more in quarantine in a hotel?  (That would become expensive very quickly!)

I'm "happy" to remain in my "bubble" for the time being.  Trying to stay well.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those watching the Katmai bear cams, now in October, you have to note that there are either "Live" cams or "Highlight cams". I believe since many of the bears seem to have left and the salmon are no longer going upstream or jumping, that those cams marked as "Highlight" are showing video from earlier this summer.

And it was 40* in Juneau this morning - 101* in Tucson this afternoon. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

For those watching the Katmai bear cams, now in October, you have to note that there are either "Live" cams or "Highlight cams". I believe since many of the bears seem to have left and the salmon are no longer going upstream or jumping, that those cams marked as "Highlight" are showing video from earlier this summer.

And it was 40* in Juneau this morning - 101* in Tucson this afternoon. 

I just accessed this web cam after reading your post.  It is currently "live", but no bears, only birds are visible.  The bears are preparing to hibernate?  Really enjoy the soothing sounds of the water:  bears, fish, or not!

Need to edit!  The camera just showed a bear near the falls "fishing".  Looks like he/she is not in the water, but on the land.  Water too cold, maybe?

Edited by rkacruiser

Currently, an interesting view of a bear that appears to be "trolling" in the water with the birds flocking around him.  It's difficult to determine if his/her "fishing" is fruitful. Sometimes, it appears that he got a mouthful of "something", but, if it is a fish, it is unlike anything that we saw when the salmon were jumping.  

My husband and I sailed to Alaska many times over the years and planned to go again in the future.

Unfortunately, he collapsed while walking the dog on Tuesday and never regained consciousness.  He was 64 years old.

I will always cherish our time together in Alaska.

B

1 hour ago, bellebaby said:

My husband and I sailed to Alaska many times over the years and planned to go again in the future.

Unfortunately, he collapsed while walking the dog on Tuesday and never regained consciousness.  He was 64 years old.

I will always cherish our time together in Alaska.

B

I am so sorry for your loss. To be taken so suddenly is such a shock. 
Hold on to those happy memories, as they will sustain you. 

• Like 2