Will you have to take off your mask to get your picture taken for your cruise card?

ontheweb

29 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Now there is evidence that young people are getting Kawasaki like disease from COVID19 that can leave lifelong damage to the body. Looking back at the death statistics countries have realised that heart attacks went up four fold during their epidemics. So now they are questioning if those deaths were not COVID19 related. We have only scratched the surface of what this disease is doing to the human body. When we learn more in the end we find the disease is just as deadly in the young😳.

We don't know everything yet -- certainly that's true. But, pardon my play on words, nothing is as 'deadly' as death, and there are large enough numbers to see that infection and death rates are much lower in children. Whether or not there are late sequelae will be interesting to follow.

Edited by cruisemom42

My next scheduled cruise is in 2022. If masks are still required, I will move the booking to 2023. (I am all for wearing masks in public now - think it is important. But the idea of wearing one on a cruise - nevermind lifting it for a photo - doesn't sound like a vacation to me.)

Edited by joytocruise27
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, joytocruise27 said:

nevermind lifting it for a photo

Maybe go on a line that doesn't do that icky and expensive thing )

I don't really get the aversion to not wearing it on a cruise but in every day life. ???

Edited by clo

On 5/14/2020 at 9:16 AM, wowzz said:

Let's face it, if the CV19 situation is still so bad that people are needing to wear masks, cruises will not be taking place. 

That is true. And even if it happens, I don't believe passengers will won't to wear masks at all time while on the ship.

On 5/14/2020 at 3:16 AM, wowzz said:

Let's face it, if the CV19 situation is still so bad that people are needing to wear masks, cruises will not be taking place. 

Or if they are taking place we will be afraid to go for fear if one person becomes ill we would be stuck on the ship for a month making circles in the ocean.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 11:19 PM, clo said:

I don't really get the aversion to not wearing it on a cruise but in every day life. ???

I wear one in everyday life because I have to do so in order to be safe and keep others safe. But I find it difficult to breathe in them for extended periods of time. I develop a headache if I have to wear one for longer than about 45 minutes to an hour. 

I cannot imagine that I'd be able to enjoy myself on a cruise or anywhere that I had to wear a mask most of the time.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sail7seas said:

If the cruise lines continue cancelling  cruise after cruise, none of us will be doing much crusing

sail.noordam@gmail.com

I would change that to none of us will be doing any cruising (if they are all cancelled).

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 4:13 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I wear one in everyday life because I have to do so in order to be safe and keep others safe. But I find it difficult to breathe in them for extended periods of time. I develop a headache if I have to wear one for longer than about 45 minutes to an hour. 

I cannot imagine that I'd be able to enjoy myself on a cruise or anywhere that I had to wear a mask most of the time.  

Right now, also, even if we could go, the UK is making people quarantine for 14 days. So I am wondering if  my cruise next summer will happen.  (my Caribbean one  for this year was  cancelled of course ) One thing for sure I don't want to quarantine for 14 days before going on my cruise. I hope we can go but unless something changes in the next  6-8 months I don't see that happening.

36 minutes ago, momofmeg said:

Right now, also, even if we could go, the UK is making people quarantine for 14 days. So I am wondering if  my cruise next summer will happen.  (my Caribbean one  for this year was  cancelled of course ) One thing for sure I don't want to quarantine for 14 days before going on my cruise. I hope we can go but unless something changes in the next  6-8 months I don't see that happening.

The whole 14 day quarantine process is a complete farce, and is being widely ridiculed here in the UK. The whole process will be stopped by July of this year.   

42 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

Current issue by WHO says asymtonstic carriers are rare to spread illness to secondary people. Only persons with Symptoms can spread the virus. Thus the vast majority of people wearing masks today are wasting their time and needless to do. So much for all the mask sales. On Cnbc and Bloomberg News and now Cnn.

The WHO  have been wrong in the past about things 😉

I do not have symptoms but I will still wear a mask when in public places  because I do not know if those with symptoms were ahead of me  

I am protecting myself from selfish people  who refuse to self isolate or stay home when sick

YMMV

29 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The whole 14 day quarantine process is a complete farce, and is being widely ridiculed here in the UK. The whole process will be stopped by July of this year.   

Why is it a farce?

Maybe people are not staying home away from others

There was a Doctor here in Canada  he travelled to the next Province that was high in cases of the virus ..when he got home  did not self isolate  but went back to work  at the local hospital

Now he  has infected  at least a dozen  people   so far

Yes I guess it is  a farce  to quarantine  people when they come from other areas

JMO

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Why is it a farce?

Maybe people are not staying home away from others

There was a Doctor here in Canada  he travelled to the next Province that was high in cases of the virus ..when he got home  did not self isolate  but went back to work  at the local hospital

Now he  has infected  at least a dozen  people   so far

Yes I guess it is  a farce  to quarantine  people when they come from other areas

JMO

It's a farce because you can fly into the UK via Ireland with no issues, it's a farce because there are 28 categories of travelers that the rules do not apply to, and no one checks if you claim to be in one of those categories, it's a farce because you no one checks if the address you give is correct, it's a farce because the police have already said they will not check up on the addresses given, it's a farce because you are allowed to travel by public transport to reach the place you are meant to stay in quarantine, and it's a farce because you are allowed to go out shopping whenever you like. It's also a farce because virtually everyone entering the UK is coming from countries that have a much, much lower CV19 incidence than the UK currently has.   

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It's a farce because you can fly into the UK via Ireland with no issues, it's a farce because there are 28 categories of travelers that the rules do not apply to, and no one checks if you claim to be in one of those categories, it's a farce because you no one checks if the address you give is correct, it's a farce because the police have already said they will not check up on the addresses given, it's a farce because you are allowed to travel by public transport to reach the place you are meant to stay in quarantine, and it's a farce because you are allowed to go out shopping whenever you like. It's also a farce because virtually everyone entering the UK is coming from countries that have a much, much lower CV19 incidence than the UK currently has.   

So, I'm guessing you think it's a farce.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, wowzz said:

For something to be a “complete farce”, there has to be absolutely no evidence for it to have meaning — have you any evidence to support this statement?

Just suppose the present trend towards loosening controls results in a major second wave of infections by July — are you certain that “the whole process will be stopped”?

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It is attitudes like this that require harsh enforcement measures to be applied.  One reason why civilized societies thrive is because a significant portion of the population behave in a cooperative fashion without compulsion.   Would you prefer having police monitoring everyone - and paying the necessary higher taxes to support such enforcement?  Or, do you really believe NO community effort is required to contain contagion?

12 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

It is attitudes like this that require harsh enforcement measures to be applied.  One reason why civilized societies thrive is because a significant portion of the population behave in a cooperative fashion without compulsion.   Would you prefer having police monitoring everyone - and paying the necessary higher taxes to support such enforcement?  Or, do you really believe NO community effort is required to contain contagion?

But the rules are pointless. If I drive from Edinburgh to London, there are no checks. But if I drive from Paris to London, I am meant to go into quarantine.  Explain the logic to me.

20 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

For something to be a “complete farce”, there has to be absolutely no evidence for it to have meaning — have you any evidence to support this statement?

Just suppose the present trend towards loosening controls results in a major second wave of infections by July — are you certain that “the whole process will be stopped”?

There is no meaning because currently there is less CV19 on the continent than in the UK. If the UK government wants to quarantine people, they need to quarantine everyone in the UK that travels anywhere, not just those coming from abroad.

38 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

Unless you are wearing a N95 mask the others don’t protect you at all. 30-35% of virus gets thru. But if it makes you feel better by all means.

...But the right types of other masks, worn correctly, do REDUCE exposures - so far better than wearing nothing.

Likewise, there's a significant difference between asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic danger of contagion. 

Gee folks, this is not rocket science. Wearing masks, social distancing, practicing good hygiene at home and in public, getting tested and seeking medical care when needed all add up to REDUCING (vs eliminating) transmission of Covid-19.

To do otherwise is incredibly selfish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dwight1 said:

Unless you are wearing a N95 mask the others don’t protect you at all. 30-35% of virus gets thru. But if it makes you feel better by all means.

You should re-read your post.  If 30-35% of virus gets through, doesn’t than mean that 65-70% would not get through?  

Regardless of how much protection a mask gives (and it is beyond absurd to claim that it offers no protection),   If it stops ANY infectious agent you cannot intelligently claim that it doesn’t protect you at all.

This sort of logic can be used to argue that ships should not be required to carry life boats —- there have been many cases where people still drowned in maritime disasters in spite of there being lifeboats.  

What percentage of certain effectiveness do you think is required for a precaution to be considered?  If more people wearing masks might have just reduced the US death toll by 10%, isn’t that 14,000 lives worth considering?

6 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

...But the right types of other masks, worn correctly, do REDUCE exposures - so far better than wearing nothing.

Likewise, there's a significant difference between asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic danger of contagion. 

Gee folks, this is not rocket science. Wearing masks, social distancing, practicing good hygiene at home and in public, getting tested and seeking medical care when needed all add up to REDUCING (vs eliminating) transmission of Covid-19.

To do otherwise is incredibly selfish.

Not just selfish - just plain stupid.