Oceania Riviera Might Be Heading to Eastport Maine

SeaHunt

And one Eastport resident doesn't sound too happy 😉

"As cruise ships remain docked in ordnance with the CDC's No Sail order, one ship may be leaving Miami and sailing to Eastport. 

The Oceania Riviera has been in Miami since March with 138 crew members still on board. All passengers since its last voyage have since departed. During the ship's last voyage passengers showed COVID-19 symptoms and later, at least one tested positive for the coronavirus". 

https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/a-cruise-ship-that-had-at-least-one-passenger-test-positive-for-covid-19-may-be-coming-to-eastport/97-0716274d-a438-4949-bda1-e896705f9f5c

Edited by SeaHunt
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

And one Eastport resident doesn't sound too happy 😉

"As cruise ships remain docked in ordnance with the CDC's No Sail order, one ship may be leaving Miami and sailing to Eastport. 

The Oceania Riviera has been in Miami since March with 138 crew members still on board. All passengers since its last voyage have since departed. During the ship's last voyage passengers showed COVID-19 symptoms and later, at least one tested positive for the coronavirus". 

https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/a-cruise-ship-that-had-at-least-one-passenger-test-positive-for-covid-19-may-be-coming-to-eastport/97-0716274d-a438-4949-bda1-e896705f9f5c

WHY ?  No places closer for them to dock? 

18 minutes ago, ICT lineman said:

Getting ready for a Trans-Atlantic.

The Facebook posting by the Port Authority explains the reasoning very well. They need the docking $$

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=3184720808225427&id=110419635655575

Posting AKA - don't come down to the pier to protest a "cruise ship" arrival.

What type of ordnance to cruise ships have?😁

ord·nance
/ˈôrdnəns/

noun
noun: ordnance
  1. 1.
    mounted guns; artillery.
Edited by ORV
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, ORV said:

What type of ordnance to cruise ships have?😁

ord·nance
/ˈôrdnəns/

noun
noun: ordnance
  1. 1.
    mounted guns; artillery.

I think the Gurkhas  have some  AK 47 type guns 

Not a gun person but did see one guy  in the morning on one of the sailing with  a big rifle 😉

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

if I was  a crew member I would  be worried about getting Covid  from the locals  bringing supplies to the ship

Agree.  

(BTW, it was one passenger  over TWO months ago on our Riviera cruise who was helicoptered off the ship to a hospital in Puerto Rico on March 9.  Testing there determined he had COVID-19.)

Interesting.   Makes one wonder about how many other small ports around the world, that never see a cruise ship, may play 'host' to layed up cruise ship's...a great photo op, if nothing else...🙂

If Eastport loses all or part of its tourist season, this will be a much needed infusion of revenue for the town.  I see it as a win-win, except for those 30+ crew who will not be allowed to disembark.

21 hours ago, ICT lineman said:

Getting ready for a Trans-Atlantic.

The Facebook posting by the Port Authority explains the reasoning very well. They need the docking $$

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=3184720808225427&id=110419635655575

Trans-Atlantic to where?  FDR is saying getting started late 2020.  Are they going to send a ship to Europe for the winter? I think not.  Still anchored off Miami.  Lets see where they go from here. 

19 hours ago, CintiPam said:

(BTW, it was one passenger  over TWO months ago on our Riviera cruise who was helicoptered off the ship to a hospital in Puerto Rico on March 9.  Testing there determined he had COVID-19.)

While the captain assured us that the passenger did NOT have covid-19. The coverup was already starting.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, retafcruiser said:

While the captain assured us that the passenger did NOT have covid-19. The coverup was already starting.

I do not see how they will be able to do this kind of cover up in the future.  With everything that has gone on since the beginning of March they could not get away with this outright lying now or in the future.  Sure hope not.

50 minutes ago, retafcruiser said:

Did  they have  the  testing facilities on the ship?

I am not willing to call it a coverup until I see definitively that the ship personnel knew what this man's problem was while he was on board.  It's entirely possible that they did NOT know more than that he was ill with something.

At the same time, maybe it was.  But we don't have proof of that.  At least not yet.

No, I'm not a cheerleader.  I want to be fair to both sides.  It's not unexpected that some (or many) will assume that the ship knew his true diagnosis.  But I echo Lyn's question.

Mura

• Like 3

I was on Riviera during this incident, and I’m convinced it was a coverup because three days after we were required to leave the ship, we got an email that the man did have COVID. This same man who was evacuated off the ship only gave his interview to CBS news more than a week later.  I think the ship personnel had an idea he was sick with COVID because of the symptoms he displayed, but decided not to tell us in order to avoid a Grand Princess scenario 

36 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

I was on Riviera during this incident, and I’m convinced it was a coverup because three days after we were required to leave the ship, we got an email that the man did have COVID. This same man who was evacuated off the ship only gave his interview to CBS news more than a week later.  I think the ship personnel had an idea he was sick with COVID because of the symptoms he displayed, but decided not to tell us in order to avoid a Grand Princess scenario 

I seem to recall he had other underlying medical issues  & was only tested once he was in hospital in PR

Maybe  the Doctor suspected Covid  but until tested  they would not know for sure

How many other cases were  onboard ?

I know the facts are less exciting that conspiracy theories 🙄

• Like 3

Facts: he was helicoptered off the ship early morning on Monday, March 9; we disembarked in Miami on Wednesday, March 11; Oceania’s email to us was sent on Thursday, March 19, at the request of the CDC.  

My understanding is that there was no COVID-19 testing available onboard.  His doctor in the Puerto Rico (Mayaguez?) facility did perform testing, which took several days to confirm his diagnosis.  He had several major pre-existing conditions, including a respiratory one, but recovered without needing a respirator.  

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gee, doesn't sound like anyone onboard was in a position to tell if he had Covid-19.  Thus endeth the conspiracy theory about a cover-up.  OK all you Oceania haters, back to work finding something else to complain about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1