Oceania Riviera Might Be Heading to Eastport Maine

SeaHunt

5 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Maybe they are concerned that they can possibly bring in back to the ship?

Yeah, I can see the ship thinking that and having a rule due to that.  But the CDC will not let them off even to fly home.  Seems crazy to me.  I read on another board that crew members of oil tankers etc. have no such rule and can come and go as they please due to their 'essential' status.  

I am thinking that since they remained near Miami for quite some time after this move to Eastport was announced, things may have changed...like the crew after deemed "quarantined" long enough, was allowed to go home, and replacements have taken over the ship, before it started this move...

3 minutes ago, bob brown said:

I am thinking that since they remained near Miami for quite some time after this move to Eastport was announced, things may have changed...like the crew after deemed "quarantined" long enough, was allowed to go home, and replacements have taken over the ship, before it started this move...

I do not think they were allowed to get off in Florida either 

Maybe that is why Marina is sailing  around  Central America & Caribbean dropping off crew  in their home Countries or  where they can fly home from another Country

Some crew were recently dropped off in Marseille  so they could fly home  to Eastern European Countries

1 hour ago, bob brown said:

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I do not think they were allowed to get off in Florida either 

Maybe that is why Marina is sailing  around  Central America & Caribbean dropping off crew  in their home Countries or  where they can fly home from another Country

Some crew were recently dropped off in Marseille  so they could fly home  to Eastern European Countries

Since the implementation of the CDC No Sail Order extension on April 15 every cruise line wishing to disembark crew in the US has been required to submit a plan that must be approved by the CDC. Here's a list of all approved plans from April 15 through June 10 and you'll see that no plans for disembarkation of Riviera crew have been approved :

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-ship/cruise-ship-member-disembarkations.html

However, a couple of weeks ago the major cruise line holding companies moved most of their US-based ships offshore to the vicinity of their private islands in the Bahamas...for NCLH Great Stirrup Cay...and transferred crew among ships in order for crew to either be placed aboard ships that were then going to take crew to countries where they could either be directly repatriated or would be permitted to board flights that would take them to their home countries. Doing this sidestepped the need to follow the rather onerous CDC requirements for US disembarkation. 

By doing this offshore crew shuffle there is likely crew originally from multiple ships and cruise lines now on board ships sailing to particular destinations in the repatriation dance. Those now on board Marina likely come from all three NCLH lines, NCL, Oceania, and Regent Seven Seas. The same is true for Norwegian Escape, which sailed from Miami to Civitavecchia  and is reportedly eventually heading to Manila.

Ships like Riviera not being used for repatriation are being laid up in various ports with only the minimum required operating crew on board.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Since the implementation of the CDC No Sail Order extension on April 15 every cruise line wishing to disembark crew in the US has been required to submit a plan that must be approved by the CDC. Here's a list of all approved plans from April 15 through June 10 and you'll see that no plans for disembarkation of Riviera crew have been approved :

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-ship/cruise-ship-member-disembarkations.html

However, a couple of weeks ago the major cruise line holding companies moved most of their US-based ships offshore to the vicinity of their private islands in the Bahamas...for NCLH Great Stirrup Cay...and transferred crew among ships in order for crew to either be placed aboard ships that were then going to take crew to countries where they could either be directly repatriated or would be permitted to board flights that would take them to their home countries. Doing this sidestepped the need to follow the rather onerous CDC requirements for US disembarkation. 

By doing this offshore crew shuffle there is likely crew originally from multiple ships and cruise lines now on board ships sailing to particular destinations in the repatriation dance. Those now on board Marina likely come from all three NCLH lines, NCL, Oceania, and Regent Seven Seas. The same is true for Norwegian Escape, which sailed from Miami to Civitavecchia  and is reportedly eventually heading to Manila.

Ships like Riviera not being used for repatriation are being laid up in various ports with only the minimum required operating crew on board.

Thanks for  this very informative comprehensive post. 

• Thanks 1

We were 'stranded' for a while aboard Hurtigruten's expedition ship, "Roald Amundsen", at the conclusion of our Antarctica cruise for an extra 9 days, which ended for the passenger's finally on 26 March.   The ship and the remainder of its crew only recently got 'home' to Bergen, Norway a couple of weeks ago...

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

By any chance did the Riviera sail around Campobello at sunrise? :classic_wink:

You know, I had a premonition  someone would ask that...🤣

Might have been, but track details doesn't seem to be included in the free Marine Traffic site, any longer...so can't tell.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WickedRed said:

Riviera has come to Eastport Maine and seems to be drawing a crowd.  After hanging out for 2 weeks, sounds like the crew will be allowed to come ashore.  I'm going to guess they are all looking forward to that.

https://www.wabi.tv/content/news/Cruise-ship-docks-in-Eastport-draws-on-lookers-to-town-571268721.html

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

That is funny

They have been on the  ship quarantined for  about  3 mths & now they have to  wait another 14 days  to see if they will be allowed off 🙄

I'm not sure they're even allowed to go ashore other than as part of a CDC-approved plan for repatriation. The CDC's guidance doesn't directly address this, but given that the only crew disembarkations they address are for repatriation I'm thinking it's the only allowable reason for disembarkation. 

On 6/14/2020 at 11:25 AM, pinotlover said:

With a predicted active hurricane season approaching, my guess most all the ships will be moving away from Miami and the Gulf region!

LOL, maybe they will leave them for the inevitable insurance collection process--too many ships and liquidity problem solved in one stroke :^)

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I'm not sure they're even allowed to go ashore other than as part of a CDC-approved plan for repatriation. The CDC's guidance doesn't directly address this, but given that the only crew disembarkations they address are for repatriation I'm thinking it's the only allowable reason for disembarkation. 

I honestly don't know, but the news report said they had to quarantine on the ship for 14 days before they are allowed off.  Wouldn't be the first time news has been wrong though.  Then again, it's Eastport Maine pop. under 1300.  There's no public transportation, no airport, not even sure there are taxis and chances are no Uber.  There's no place for them to go.  Unless they try to swim across the bay to Canada.  If you wanted to let some crew off a ship where they can't escape, I can't think of a better place to do it.

On 6/13/2020 at 10:53 AM, njhorseman said:

Not an Oceania article but relates to your statement about grouping the crews together enabling them to get home on as few ships as possible.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/news/7554-carnival-cruise-line-panama-organize-cross-country-crew-transfer.

Carnival had to get crew across Panama so that those on the Pacific side did not have to go around South America to get on a ship with others.  I  find things like this interesting in how things work behind the scenes.

• Like 1

Since a few weeks there are 3 cruise ships anchored in the North Sea, in front of Katwijk,  a small beach resort in The Netherlands. These are 2 HAL ships, the Nieuw Statendam and the Zaandam. The third one is the Seabourn Ovation. Apparently they dropped the crew of in one of the harbour towns on the Dutch coast so they could fly home from Amsterdam airport.