When will you cruise again?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. When will you cruise again?

• Never. Too old or too much risk
    • Never due to the way Cunard has handled refunds
    • As soon as Cruising starts
    • Not until a vaccine or treatment is here
    • Not until late 2021
    • After I see a few cruises that stops at multiple ports go smoothly with no infections

I voted for end of 2021. However, my Queen Mary 2 cruise booked is not until January 2022. I saw it in January 2020 (before all of this started) and booked right away so that I could get the cabin that I wanted. They have my deposit and I am leaving it with them.

If this pandemic is not over by the end of 2021, we might as well go back to living our "old life".   

It would have been useful to have one of the options to be that insurance was available.  At the moment all UK insurers won't cover anything to do with C-19 so I assume the majority will cruise with no insurance cover.

• Like 1

I voted for the final option but in practical terms that might mean waiting until late 2021 anyway and we won’t be able to travel abroad until we can get suitable travel insurance, which will obviously depend on what happens to FCO advice. I haven’t checked it lately but at the start advice for people with underlying health conditions wasn’t very nuanced here in the UK: for instance, “heart conditions” encompasses a wide spectrum of issues many of which are well managed and do not particularly impact on the individual’s quality of life. I suspect we will have to wait until there are more data on the specifics before we will know whether travel insurance can be obtained affordably.

I certainly very much hope to cruise again but the itinerary, price and insurance options have to be right first - as soon as these fall into place, I hope we can book again. 

I've not voted as I won't be travelling until insurance is available to cover Covid19. My current policy does but only up until the renewal in December and I'd not consider booking for this year as there is too much uncertainty regarding travel restrictions. Even as a healthy (touch wood) 50 something, travelling without adequate cover on any overseas holiday is something I wouldn't contemplate.  There are too many unknowns at the moment with regards to the effectiveness of a potential vaccine, treatment and antibodies. Until more information is known about the virus and there's a financially viable insurance policy available, I am staying in the UK. 

Maybe late 2021 - on a TA coming home from a trip to see family in England.  Of course that will depend on conditions impacting flight over and conditions in England as well as how things are handled on QM2. At this point, there are too many variables for me to want to put money down;  so I will live with the risk of paying a bit more by booking closer to sailing date.  I see that risk of higher cost as preferable to the risk of getting a refund if conditions argue against a booked cruise.

I’m not really blaming Cunard for the sutuation - but prefer that they carry the risk.

9 hours ago, davyjones said:

It would have been useful to have one of the options to be that insurance was available.  At the moment all UK insurers won't cover anything to do with C-19 so I assume the majority will cruise with no insurance cover.

Not quite true. My insurer will not cover cancellation due to Covid, but they will cover medical costs should you contract it. My policy renewed in April with this change.

Edited by Bedruthen

Natwest Travel Insurance covers for Covid 19

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I transferred my May 2020 to May 2021, and if there is something that takes my fancy before then and I happen to be able to afford it and off work, then sooner than then if I can. 

I’m really surprised how so many are still prepared to go cruising.  Me and my husband will never cruise again. Far too much at risk on a ship re infections at the best of times but to imagine getting a deadly virus like COVID 19 is not worth risking our lives for.  

Watching the Abels and what they went through no thank you very much!
Sods law but another Cunard cruise we would have been Diamond status..hey ho.

I've got bookings for 2021 and 2022, made pre-virus, and I hope to do both. They're both Australia-only. My best guess is that Cunard won't be running its QM2 world tour so we won't see her here (so 2021 ???) but they'll hopefully bring QE here, quarantine the crew off shore for two weeks, then run cruises to Australian and NZ ports only.

As soon as I can, I'm still in my 20s and have no medical complaints to worry about. The risk to me if I were to catch this horrible virus is fortunately very low. My main concern is to be carrying the virus and pass it on to someone at far more risk than I.

We will cruise again as soon as we can so long as whats on offer resembles a crossing/cruise as we know it and costs no more than we feel it's worth.

It might be a deadly disease but I run a risk of death or injury driving to the port and I don't feel inclined to greatly restrict my activities to avoid/delay one of the few certainties we are born with. That said I am happy to take steps to ensure my hands are always being washed and I remain aware of myself & my environment to minimise potential exposure - I'd happily retreat to my cabin if I felt I was being exposed to risks that I deemed unacceptable, but ultimately I feel life is to be lived as fully as one chooses and accept that may make it shorter

• Like 5

2 hours ago, wenlyn said:

We will cruise again as soon as we can so long as whats on offer resembles a crossing/cruise as we know it and costs no more than we feel it's worth.

It might be a deadly disease but I run a risk of death or injury driving to the port and I don't feel inclined to greatly restrict my activities to avoid/delay one of the few certainties we are born with. That said I am happy to take steps to ensure my hands are always being washed and I remain aware of myself & my environment to minimise potential exposure - I'd happily retreat to my cabin if I felt I was being exposed to risks that I deemed unacceptable, but ultimately I feel life is to be lived as fully as one chooses and accept that may make it shorter

As the mythical barrister Rumpole (of the Bailey) said: "There's no pleasure on earth that's worth sacrificing for the sake of an extra five years in the geriatric ward of the Sunset Old People's Home, Weston-Super-Mare."

Late 2021 was my choice since it was the closest to our thinking.  We will wait until spring 2021 before even thinking of another cruise, to give time for the virus cases to drop in most places, and to get past any second and third waves.  

About then we'll get a better read on the state of the cruise industry.  While Cunard should be safe with only 3 ships, many of the others will end up mothballing half their fleets, in my opinion, and their sailing schedules will be a lot different from what they are proposing right now, plus there may be areas of the world they will not be allowed to cruise to or which are still unsafe.  

Finally I want to read reviews from early cruisers to see what their reaction is to distancing protocols on board - what worked, what didn't, whether the experience was indeed relaxing and enjoyable, and of course whether there are any virus cases emerging with the opening up of cruising.

Our best guess is late 2021 and more likely 2022, but it's based on these reasons above.