Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

Like many, we fear that our upcoming cruise will be cancelled. However, we wish to return to cruising with Crystal as soon as it is (in our judgement) safe to do so and the ''experience'' is to our liking. We are covered by an annual travel insurance booking but, here in the UK, all insurers have made it clear that any claims relating to Covid 19 on new bookings will not be covered.We are told that this is because insurance is meant to cover unforeseen eventualities, whereas Covid 19 is now a foreseen risk and is thus excluded from cover. Consequently, the monetary possible downside eg medical costs, repatriation expenses etc etc makes it very difficult to contemplate booking any further cruise or, indeed, any overseas trip until an effective vaccine and/or treatment becomes widely available.

Any thoughts out there ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think at some point they really will have to stop excluding all Covid-19 claims.  There are a lot of other diseases that are "foreseeable" in so much as lots of people get them and no one is exempt from getting sick.  Hopefully as travel opens up this restriction will also, but definitely it is something that one should be fully aware of when making a new booking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2020 at 7:17 AM, kool kruiser said:

Like many, we fear that our upcoming cruise will be cancelled. However, we wish to return to cruising with Crystal as soon as it is (in our judgement) safe to do so and the ''experience'' is to our liking. We are covered by an annual travel insurance booking but, here in the UK, all insurers have made it clear that any claims relating to Covid 19 on new bookings will not be covered.We are told that this is because insurance is meant to cover unforeseen eventualities, whereas Covid 19 is now a foreseen risk and is thus excluded from cover. Consequently, the monetary possible downside eg medical costs, repatriation expenses etc etc makes it very difficult to contemplate booking any further cruise or, indeed, any overseas trip until an effective vaccine and/or treatment becomes widely available.

Any thoughts out there ?

My take on this is this:  We just don't know how this outbreak will unfold in the future.  We don't know how cruises and other vacations will be taken by anybody in the future.  We certainly do not know when cruises will resume, and when/if it does, how would the resumption be like.  I am personally assuming that even the itineraries of any of the bookable cruises are essentially subject to profound modifications.  Trying to figure out how all of this materialize in the future is just a silly exercise in futility.  Only thing we can count on is that all things travel will be different, either slightly or drastically, at least in the near future.  So planning for this is essentially useless for the potential passenger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen a couple of articles mention a proposal that an insurance policy that would cover any Covid-19 illness costs would be offered and required by all cruise lines when booking. That would be the most logical and cost-efficient way to cover it, by requiring all passengers to purchase it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2020 at 6:17 AM, kool kruiser said:

 However, we wish to return to cruising with Crystal as soon as it is (in our judgement) safe to do so and the ''experience'' is to our liking.

 

I am interested as to what in the "experience" would be a deal breaker for you (and others!).  I too worry about "the experience" as I look ahead.

 

Would being required to wear a mask outside the cabin be a deal breaker?

 

Requirement for daily COVID19 testing?

 

Return to (early and later) fixed sittings for dinner in Waterside in order to ensure social distancing?

 

Much more restricted experience in Marketplace (metering of people entering, no self-service, etc.)

 

Restricting access to speciality restaurants to guests in suites?

 

Metering of people in Cove, Avenue, etc. to maintain social distancing?

 

Requiring tickets/reservations for shows?

 

Closing swimming pool and hot tubs?

 

Please understand:  I am not proposing any of these steps.  Instead, I am curious as to limits of guests' tolerance for a (perhaps only temporarily) changed "experience"

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been on 47 Crystal cruises. For 20 years we have been on the pre- Holiday and Holiday cruise on Serenity.  Your concerns are ours as well as the Waterside layout with all the 2 tops are too close together.  They would have to remove tables and stagger the dining times to perhaps 5:30, 7:00, and 8:30 fixed seatings.  We stay in a penthouse suite and like your idea of spacing out fewer people in the specialty restaurants.  
 

What concerns us the most is the inability to conform to the social distancing in the bars, theaters, hallways, and elevators. We suggest that unless you are in your cabin everyone should wear a mask until you get to the Cove, Avenue, or Waterside.  It is perplexing how they could operate the Bistro and Marketplace unless they assigned staff to serve all the food.

 

We look forward to reading Crystal’s thoughts next week regarding the steps they propose on the ships due to Covid19.

 

Stay well and all the best to the fabulous Crystal crew and our fellow cruisers.

 

Crystal  Rich

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Observer said:

 

I am interested as to what in the "experience" would be a deal breaker for you (and others!).

 

Please understand:  I am not proposing any of these steps.  Instead, I am curious as to limits of guests' tolerance for a (perhaps only temporarily) changed "experience"

 

 

 

With the possible exception of fixed dining, all of the above on Crystal would be deal breakers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Crystal Rich said:

 

What concerns us the most is the inability to conform to the social distancing in the bars, theaters, hallways, and elevators.

 

 

Thanks for your thoughts.  This sentence brings up two more possibilities:

 

Walking in hallways would be one way.  So walking on the port hallway would be aft facing, and the starboard hallway forward facing.  This might require some extra steps (not always a bad thing) as one circles around to one's room.  The same for stairs (as I recall there are two sets of stairs between most decks).

 

Elevators are more problematic.  Perhaps there could be a strong expectation that, absent disability, people would take stairs if the trip was less than three decks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, flyingshoes said:

 

With the possible exception of fixed dining, all of the above on Crystal would be deal breakers.

 

Agreed, all of these would be deal breakers for us. As I have stated previously on other threads, we have no desire to sail on a hospital ship. Much as we love cruising in general, and Crystal in particular................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Food service in general is way more problematic than just spacing (which is a HUGE problem in itself, since the big tables, as we’re now having to work through in event management, will have to go).  No one not staying in the same cabin will be able to be seated with each other, so every 2-3 people will need to be 6’ apart in every direction.

 

The bigger challenge is the food service.  No more items on the table except for single service — creamer pitchers, butter, etc. will have to be emptied and washed after being on the table.  Different people will strictly have to serve and bus food, otherwise new rubber gloves will have to be replaced every time someone switches from touching dirty and clean plates or service items.. And going through thousands of gloves every meal service isn’t very Crystal Clean.  Beverages can’t be refilled in the same glasses unless it’s from a personal pitcher.

 

Even Waterside is going to be a mess, let alone the changes needed to the Bistro (sealed items served by staff from the buffet), Marketplace (not even sure how you’d seal/portion the hot food), or Churrascaria (just fold up that tent right now, that’s a COVID horror show). 
 

Vince 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JT1962 said:

I have seen a couple of articles mention a proposal that an insurance policy that would cover any Covid-19 illness costs would be offered and required by all cruise lines when booking. That would be the most logical and cost-efficient way to cover it, by requiring all passengers to purchase it.

How interesting. Are you possibly able to provide any links to these articles ? i wonder if they would be made available to all passengers, irrespective of nationality/residence ? clearly, they would need to cover locations off as well as on board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Observer said:

 

I am interested as to what in the "experience" would be a deal breaker for you (and others!).  I too worry about "the experience" as I look ahead.

 

Would being required to wear a mask outside the cabin be a deal breaker? YES

 

Requirement for daily COVID19 testing? NO

 

Return to (early and later) fixed sittings for dinner in Waterside in order to ensure social distancing?  NO

 

Much more restricted experience in Marketplace (metering of people entering, no self-service, etc.) YES

 

Restricting access to speciality restaurants to guests in suites? YES

 

Metering of people in Cove, Avenue, etc. to maintain social distancing? YES

 

Requiring tickets/reservations for shows? YES

 

Closing swimming pool and hot tubs? YES

 

Please understand:  I am not proposing any of these steps.  Instead, I am curious as to limits of guests' tolerance for a (perhaps only temporarily) changed "experience"

 

 

Although I would naturally have to discuss with ''the boss '' 😀 my initial thoughts are above. However, we would have to assess any new protocols in their entirety in order to assess.

In all honesty, I am, with considerable regret, thinking more and more that cruising may not be a viable holiday for us until we have an effective vaccine and/or therapeutic solution. irrespective of whatever new measures are put in place. The closed community nature of a cruise, even with Crystal's great passenger/space ratios, is simply too worrying.

Edited by kool kruiser
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Observer said:

Restricting access to speciality restaurants to guests in suites?


I’m also curious about another flavor of this one...  How would people feel if specialty dining was ONLY available by room service, to make access more balanced?  With reduced capacity in each venue, more crew are available for delivery and galley capacity can be rebalanced between the alternative galleys, the main galley, and the room service section of the main galley.

 

Vince

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

 How would people feel if specialty dining was ONLY available by room service, to make access more balanced? 

 

For us peons in regular cabins, this is an unattractive option.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, BWIVince said:


I’m also curious about another flavor of this one...  How would people feel if specialty dining was ONLY available by room service

 

I don't intend to cruise to enjoy an Uber Eats style of dining! So that's a no from me

 

I also read the suggestion that any mixed tables involving people from other cabins might not be possible - that would be a show stopper for me

 

It's certainly going to be interesting to see what the "new world" brings for us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

It's certainly going to be interesting to see what the "new world" brings for us


+1 Terry...  It’ll also be interesting to see how many of our feelings change over time, as many of these things become intermediate steps in every day life.  Right now I wear a mask for an hour or two at a time, and the thought of having to wear one in public areas of a ship seems unattractive.  That said, my office reopens in 4 weeks, and we’ll have to wear masks all day (for the time being), joining the millions of people who already wear them for 8-12 hours a day.  At some point, I’m sure I’ll start thinking if I have to wear a mask anyway, I might as well be on vacation and do it.  YM-will-totally-V from person to person here though, for sure.

 

Vince

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BWIVince said:

and we’ll have to wear masks all day (for the time being), joining the millions of people who already wear them for 8-12 hours a day.  At some point, I’m sure I’ll start thinking if I have to wear a mask anyway, I might as well be on vacation and do it

 

It's really interesting to see the different approaches around the world

 

For us in Australia Masks have never been mandatory, unlike in many US States, and for a good while weren't available anyway! You can now buy them (from basic ones to N95's) pretty easily (along with Toilet paper and cleaning products 🙂)

 

So my experience of wearing a mask has been for 30 minutes when I went to an Apple Store last week - they handed them out and it was compulsory to wear them while in their store. I have to say I did not enjoy the experience and found it very uncomfortable - so if it becomes necessary to wear a mask in public I'll simply retreat back to self isolation at home and not have to worry about them. Based on my limited experience I would not holiday if I was required to wear a mask while doing so

 

Interestingly while out and about at Supermarkets and Malls I'd say it would be less than 20% of people wearing masks now. There's plenty of hand sanitser and wipes available at stores to clean hands and wipe trolleys etc. We're down to a very low incidence of cases and few deaths now - but the restrictions and limits are only being removed slowly so it is going to be several months before we reach a "new normal"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We cautiously await how events progress, both nationally and internationally. At this time, we have no interest in any discretionary travel or events (cruises, airlines, airports, trains, buses, taxi's, terminals, theme parks, museums, galleries, hotels, resorts, restaurants, concerts, et.al.) where we need to wear a modified hazmat suit (if only just a face mask, albeit for hours) and/or be served/attended to by staff also wearing modified hazmat suits. Discretionary travel should be enjoyable and a stress-reliever. We have reluctantly determined that our discretionary travel plans through the end of 2020 and likely through mid-2021 (or beyond), will be limited to locations that we can reach on a full tank of gas in the car. 

 

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

 

It's really interesting to see the different approaches around the world

 

For us in Australia Masks have never been mandatory, unlike in many US States, and for a good while weren't available anyway! You can now buy them (from basic ones to N95's) pretty easily (along with Toilet paper and cleaning products 🙂)

 

So my experience of wearing a mask has been for 30 minutes when I went to an Apple Store last week - they handed them out and it was compulsory to wear them while in their store. I have to say I did not enjoy the experience and found it very uncomfortable - so if it becomes necessary to wear a mask in public I'll simply retreat back to self isolation at home and not have to worry about them. Based on my limited experience I would not holiday if I was required to wear a mask while doing so

 

Interestingly while out and about at Supermarkets and Malls I'd say it would be less than 20% of people wearing masks now. There's plenty of hand sanitser and wipes available at stores to clean hands and wipe trolleys etc. We're down to a very low incidence of cases and few deaths now - but the restrictions and limits are only being removed slowly so it is going to be several months before we reach a "new normal"


Definitely true...  Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons that people don’t seem to appreciate when I talk about on the board, I live in a region where we still have a high percentage of people walking around and spraying infected droplets, and a limited means to figure out who they are, so the masks are a lifesaver as they catch the droplets from the people who are infected and may not even know it.  If we weren’t in this situation, as many other areas of the world aren’t, the masks wouldn’t be needed.  Prolific testing and a lower infection rate would be very nice here right now.

 

Also, I should have also mentioned my comments were mostly around questions for starting in the near term, which Crystal has decided NOT to do, assumably reasons we’re all walking through.  🙂  Most of these things we’re talking about should fall away sometime during 2021, hopefully, but are interesting to discuss regarding 2020 and the US market.

 

Vince

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BWIVince said:

 How would people feel if specialty dining was ONLY available by room service, to make access more balanced? 

 

An interesting idea.  I would resist this, because I have been very disappointed by Crystal's ability to deliver hot dishes at anything like the proper temperature.  I stay in standard cabins, not suites.  I understand that butlers for suites have warming ovens and are better able to deliver food at appropriate temperatures. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Observer said:

 

An interesting idea.  I would resist this, because I have been very disappointed by Crystal's ability to deliver hot dishes at anything like the proper temperature.  I stay in standard cabins, not suites.  I understand that butlers for suites have warming ovens and are better able to deliver food at appropriate temperatures. 

 

I won't resist this since I will be at home, eating off my lap and watching Netflix.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any one of them would be a deal breaker for me with the exception of the testing for the virus.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Oh the horror River Cruises on the Ocean board

 

Some of these changes are going to be in place before the Ocean cruises.

 

Waterside -- back to reserve seating - 2 seating's to insure social distancing and ability to manage the flow.  This way you are with your same table mates for exposure control.

Reduced number on excursions 50% of seats will only be booked on bus trips.

 

Edited by PaulMCO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another suggestion is to eliminate all tender ports as social distancing is obviously impossible in these tiny boats.  If suitable docking ports are unavailable then add an extra sea day.

 

Crystal Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding shore excursions, the charter bus companies that I’m working with on fall events are currently saying 1/3 capacity for the busses.  I’m not sure exactly how they arrived at that yet, I’ll learn more in the next couple of months how that spaces out on the busses, AND I’m sure that formula varies wildly from company to company (a handful of companies service most of my industry), but that gives a real world number that shows what the actual bus operators are thinking at the moment.

 

Vince

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...