Cruise Critic Community

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

Regarding shore excursions, the charter bus companies that I’m working with on fall events are currently saying 1/3 capacity for the busses.  I’m not sure exactly how they arrived at that yet, I’ll learn more in the next couple of months how that spaces out on the busses, AND I’m sure that formula varies wildly from company to company (a handful of companies service most of my industry), but that gives a real world number that shows what the actual bus operators are thinking at the moment.

Vince

Will run out of tourist buses in many locations.  Then there may be a surplus of school buses not being used.

Covid-19 exposure during excursions needs to be considered - both from port resident to cruisers and from cruisers to the port residents.  Does this mean that only Crystal organized excursions are permitted to control  potential exposure?   Are excursions configured to only allow a single tour group in a site at the same time?  The excursion group's freedom to independently explore will not be allowed?

It would be ashame after all the measures being mentioned to control the status of passengers getting onto a cruise to allow a passenger to get exposed during the cruise.  If you can be assured that all the embarked passengers are not infected, all the steps being mentioned to establish social distancing while onboard are of less importance.

Alan

How interesting. Are you possibly able to provide any links to these articles ? i wonder if they would be made available to all passengers, irrespective of nationality/residence ? clearly, they would need to cover locations off as well as on board.

This was one article regarding a proposal to build “icu pods” at central locations in the Caribbean. The cost would be covered by a mandatory travel insurance policy. This proposal was just for the Caribbean, but the concept could be expanded to other areas. It may never be implemented, but at least they are thinking of options.

This is an excerpt specifically about the insurance and the link to the full article is below the excerpt:

“Mandatory travel insurance

A new class of mandatory travel insurance would be needed to support the system.

According to Darley, up to 2m US citizens alone are in the Caribbean region on any given day. On many islands, hospital facilities can be limited and triage challenging. The Mi Island medical plan for the umbrella coverage of the region would allow partner cruise lines, airlines and resort operators to ensure their customers have access to US/internationally approved facilities and treatments as soon as possible.”

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/icu-pods-backed-hospital-ships-proposed-caribbean-cruise-ports

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting comments on this thread. For what it is worth, We will cruise Again when the following conditions are met:

1.  A highly reliable test is available that returns results within a couple of hours or less and passengers and crew are required to wear masks and social distance until results are negative before being allowed to board.

2. The on board experience on Crystal is as it was before the pandemic. Otherwise the expense and effort is just not worth it.

3. Although it would be nice to be able to disembark and tour new places, not necessary short term due to the risk, unless again testing is conducted before allowing Passengers and crew to re-board.

4. A reasonable medical insurance policy is available that would cover the Covid-19 while cruising.

Although it would be nice to have a vaccine, not convinced how fool proof it would be and I would cruise without it if the above conditions were met. Unfortunately we will probably have to cancel our November cruise since I doubt our requirements will be met IMHO.

Totally agree with Jimmycruiser. Will be canceling our October cruise.

1 hour ago, Jimmycruiser said:

3. Although it would be nice to be able to disembark and tour new places, not necessary short term due to the risk, unless again testing is conducted before allowing Passengers and crew to re-board.

Testing before reboarding would not help, because if someone is exposed to the virus while off the ship, it would be too soon for the test to be positive before reboarding.  The same applies to initial boarding if someone is exposed on the flight to the port.  What might be helpful instead is to test everyone upon boarding and then again every 2 or 3 days.

On 5/17/2020 at 12:50 PM, BWIVince said:

I’m also curious about another flavor of this one...  How would people feel if specialty dining was ONLY available by room service, to make access more balanced?  With reduced capacity in each venue, more crew are available for delivery and galley capacity can be rebalanced between the alternative galleys, the main galley, and the room service section of the main galley.

Vince

Interesting Vince...a no no for us for sure, as we never dine in our cabin.

22 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

It's really interesting to see the different approaches around the world

For us in Australia Masks have never been mandatory, unlike in many US States, and for a good while weren't available anyway! You can now buy them (from basic ones to N95's) pretty easily (along with Toilet paper and cleaning products 🙂)

So my experience of wearing a mask has been for 30 minutes when I went to an Apple Store last week - they handed them out and it was compulsory to wear them while in their store. I have to say I did not enjoy the experience and found it very uncomfortable - so if it becomes necessary to wear a mask in public I'll simply retreat back to self isolation at home and not have to worry about them. Based on my limited experience I would not holiday if I was required to wear a mask while doing so

Interestingly while out and about at Supermarkets and Malls I'd say it would be less than 20% of people wearing masks now. There's plenty of hand sanitser and wipes available at stores to clean hands and wipe trolleys etc. We're down to a very low incidence of cases and few deaths now - but the restrictions and limits are only being removed slowly so it is going to be several months before we reach a "new normal"

I'm absolutely with you on this one Terry. Interestingly, our experience in the UK is very similar to yours, although we were, perhaps, too late going into lockdown and our planning for testing, care homes and PPE...the least said the better. We are, however, now being advised (but not compelled) to wear masks on public transport and shops where social distancing is difficult. On a personal note, we are very lucky to live in the UK region with the lowest incidence of covid 19 and where compliance with government advisories and regulations is quite straightforward. We are also blessed with a generally very sensible, courteous and compliant local population.

have yet to wear a mask and hopefully will not need to anytime soon. Having to wear one on board would be an absolute deal-breaker.

22 hours ago, BWIVince said:

🙂  Most of these things we’re talking about should fall away sometime during 2021, hopefully, but are interesting to discuss regarding 2020 and the US market.

Vince

I always respect your sage views, especially as you are also a travel professional. I can only but hope your suggested time-frame comes to fruition !!

12 hours ago, JT1962 said:

This was one article regarding a proposal to build “icu pods” at central locations in the Caribbean. The cost would be covered by a mandatory travel insurance policy. This proposal was just for the Caribbean, but the concept could be expanded to other areas. It may never be implemented, but at least they are thinking of options.

This is an excerpt specifically about the insurance and the link to the full article is below the excerpt:

“Mandatory travel insurance

A new class of mandatory travel insurance would be needed to support the system.

According to Darley, up to 2m US citizens alone are in the Caribbean region on any given day. On many islands, hospital facilities can be limited and triage challenging. The Mi Island medical plan for the umbrella coverage of the region would allow partner cruise lines, airlines and resort operators to ensure their customers have access to US/internationally approved facilities and treatments as soon as possible.”

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/icu-pods-backed-hospital-ships-proposed-caribbean-cruise-ports

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In all honesty, this seems to be just one person's individual idea, very much in the embryonic stage. 

10 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Testing before reboarding would not help, because if someone is exposed to the virus while off the ship, it would be too soon for the test to be positive before reboarding.  The same applies to initial boarding if someone is exposed on the flight to the port.  What might be helpful instead is to test everyone upon boarding and then again every 2 or 3 days.

Agreed. I would go further and support daily testing. Having experienced regular testing on a recent 'eventful' cruise, it really was no great hardship or imposition.

The other big issue to me is travel back and forth. I don’t want to get stuck anywhere. 
personally I think it might be a couple of years before I cruise again.  Even if in a year things appear to be ok someone gets a cold on a ship panic will ensue and we’ll be caught up frozen and stuck until issue resolved