Cruise Critic Community
Keith1010

Additional Ocean Cancellations

Thank you Keith! 

We have insurance and are hopeful.  Appreciate all your insights...

Bob and Ray

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Symphony will probably stay in Asia.

Ivi

That would be my bet as well.  Resume operations December, maybe January.

Edited by flyingshoes

2 hours ago, 360Guy said:

Hi Keith,

We are booked for our first time Crystal cruise scheduled on Serenity from New York to Quebec City.  With each passing week and now cancellations through August we are wondering if we will sail October 22.  Any thoughts?  Final payment isn’t until the end of July.  Thanks!  

Bob and Ray

According to an article in today's Toronto Star, government sources are indicating the closure of Canadian ports to cruise ships will be extended from the current July 1 well into the fall. It is an unconfirmed report at this point, but given the fact BC has closed their ports until after the Alaska season, I would not be surprised if it happens.

2 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

According to an article in today's Toronto Star, government sources are indicating the closure of Canadian ports to cruise ships will be extended from the current July 1 well into the fall. It is an unconfirmed report at this point, but given the fact BC has closed their ports until after the Alaska season, I would not be surprised if it happens.

Thanks I will check that out....

Bob and Ray

Keith -- I hope you are right

We are booked for 39 glorious days on Serenity starting January along with 3 other couples.

We really want it to be a go . . .

11 hours ago, ryndam said:

The August Symphony cruises are showing "call for availability" on the Crystal website.

Yes. That is true. But what is different this time is Symphony was switched to 'call for availability' for July and August at the same time but then only July was cancelled.

9 hours ago, travelberlin said:

I guess this makes more unlikely my September cruise. Symphony will probably stay in Asia.

Ivi

Also when July Esprit was cancelled, Crystal said in the breaking news that things were looking promising for the Adriatic in August. Symphony has similar itineraries in September.

So I think they are still thinking.

17 hours ago, nooosey said:

Hi Tracie and Vicki,

Yes lets keep fingers very tightly crossed for August 19th, hope to see you both and many others in Amsterdam.

Philip

Looking forward to seeing you Philip, if the cruise happens.

16 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Larry, 

based on this unconfirmed report and Keith’s earlier “non inside scoop” comments....my October 30th Quebec to Miami cruise isn’t looking hopeful!!😪

nancy

16 hours ago, nancygp said:

Larry, 

based on this unconfirmed report and Keith’s earlier “non inside scoop” comments....my October 30th Quebec to Miami cruise isn’t looking hopeful!!😪

nancy

I am sorry, Nancy.  I was hoping it was a go

22 hours ago, nancygp said:

Larry, 

nancy

I think your cruise will be a go.  The Alaska season closes in early September.  Your cruise departs six weeks later.  

53 minutes ago, TER777 said:

Symphony August cancelled.

Thanks

I assume you received advice from your TA?

Nothing published on the Crystal website - yet

Guess it will appear tomorrow 

3 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Thanks

I assume you received advice from your TA?

Nothing published on the Crystal website - yet

Guess it will appear tomorrow 

Received email from Crystal for 8/19  segment. (Was rather assuming 8/8 was cancelled as well.). 

5 minutes ago, TER777 said:

Received email from Crystal for 8/19  segment. (Was rather assuming 8/8 was cancelled as well.). 

You must be so frustrated - but safety first. It’s difficult to see just when they will resume cruising 

Resumption of any cruising will likely require an international coordinated effort. It's only one issue to assure health safety aboard the ships. It's another issue to assure health safety ashore, or when port authorities and governments will re-open their airports and seaports to international visitors.

Rob

1 hour ago, ryndam said:

Resumption of any cruising will likely require an international coordinated effort. It's only one issue to assure health safety aboard the ships. It's another issue to assure health safety ashore, or when port authorities and governments will re-open their airports and seaports to international visitors.

This whole situation demonstrates how "safe" is a relative term, with "safety" in the eye of the beholder.  Nothing is 100% "safe", but we used to use that term to refer to item/processes/actions that were safe to a certain statistical degree.  Now, industries, governments and individuals will have to come to grips with the new obsession with "safe".

As an example -- often new families will want to have a car that is "safe for our family".  But when almost any vehicle is hit by a semi at 80 mph, none would be called "safe" - they would be called "scrap metal".   Or if you want to have "security" for their house and possessions -- only if you live in Fort Knox (and in the Depository) could you have  that "security" (unless Auric Goldfinger is casing your place).

"Safety" is a continuum - not a singular state.  And the simplistic thinking of the populace and of government who want our society to be "safe" will have to understand and deal with that reality.

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2020 at 8:44 AM, nancygp said:

Larry, 

nancy

Hi dear Nancy,   I just got a call from crystal with the official cancelation of the August cruise, but I was offered the October 30th cruise so I think you can be hopeful. Hope it works out. 

Edited by Out2See

1 hour ago, Out2See said:

Hi dear Nancy,   I just got a call from crystal with the official cancelation of the August cruise, but I was offered the October 30th cruise so I think you can be hopeful. Hope it works out. 

Can you do that cruise?

Roy

2 hours ago, Out2See said:

great news dear jim and thanks for your text!!!  Hoping it’s a go and looking forward to being with you...fun times for sure.  Just read FOAK your texts.

xxxxx

Nancy

From the Crystal Website.

Crystal Symphony Voyages with departure dates in August have been cancelled.

CRUISE CANCELLATIONS: CRYSTAL SYMPHONY VOYAGES THROUGH AUGUST 2020
UPDATED  Wednesday, May 27, 2020 1:30pm EST
Crystal continues to closely monitor and evaluate the current COVID-19 situation. Due to temporary closures of European ports, it is with regret that we have made the decision to cancel all August departures for Crystal Symphony.
We are pleased to provide guests booked on these affected sailings with Credits* equal to 125% of their cruise fare paid, based on fully-paid fare – valid on any Crystal experience (Ocean, River, Yacht or Expedition) embarking through December 31, 2023 - along with a refund of port charges, taxes, and fees, and air and hotel packages booked through Crystal.
We encourage our guests to contact their travel advisor to assist them with rebooking their ideal future Crystal cruise. Full year voyage collections for each Crystal experience – through 2022 are available now to review and our 2023 Ocean collection will be online in early July of this year with 2023 deployments for River, Yacht and Expedition following in due course.
With more than 30 years of cruising to the far reaches of the world, Crystal has a long tradition of implementing and maintaining the highest health and safety policies at sea. While our fleet is paused, the Crystal team is developing new procedures and policies that will support all public health and regulatory requirements and ensure that our guests’ vacations continue to be not only relaxing and pleasurable but safe and healthy. Details of these new measures and initiatives will be announced soon.
Additionally, the inherent design of Crystal ships maximizes personal and public space, offering plenty of options for those who choose to keep a healthy distance during their voyage. All Crystal ships across the fleet including Ocean, River, Yacht and Expedition offer nearly double the space per person than ships of a similar size, which is among the highest space ratios in the industry and will be further augmented through the new measures we will be implementing. Further, Crystal Endeavor and Crystal’s River ships are all-suite, featuring all-balcony suites and most staterooms on our two Ocean ships feature private verandas for fresh airflow.
Please know that our guests’ and crews’ safety is our number one priority and we will resume service only when our expert team as well as global health and government authorities indicate that it is safe to do so.
We will be communicating these changes to our booked guests and their travel advisors directly. On behalf of everyone at Crystal, we thank our guests for their understanding and patience as we navigate this ever-changing situation, and we look forward to welcoming them on a future voyage.
*The 125% Credits option is comprised of two coupons: a 100% Future Cruise Payment (FCP) representing cruise fare paid, and a 25% Future Cruise Credit (FCC) bonus discount. Credit coupons may be used separately or combined on any non-fully paid, future booking. Credits may be used with Crystal’s 2-for-1 Fares and Book Now Savings.
Future Cruise Payment (FCP) may be applied to multiple future bookings and may be used towards deposit requirement on your new booking.
Future Cruise Credit (FCC) may be applied to one booking as a savings; is not available to incentive groups, or guests under charter contracts; not combinable with any other savings – including Flex Fares, Best Available Fares and Advance Purchase Savings; non-transferable, non-refundable, and cannot be used in lieu of the deposit requirement on your new booking.
Note: If an affected guest is unable to redeem their Credits by December 31, 2023, they may request a refund of the original cruise fare paid. We ask that guests please allow up to 90 days from receipt of their request for refunds to be processed.
To request a refund, please visit crystalcruises.com/requestrefund to submit the online form.

I received cancellation notice for our August 19 yesterday too. Requested full refund, we are booked for January 27  ,2021 on symphony too, and if cancelled will probably do future credit on that trip.

The very disturbing news from our TA is that 90 days is BUSINESS days, equivalent of 4.5 months. I definitely feel that is totally inappropriate/ un-necessay and reflects very poorly on Crystal

18 minutes ago, docmark said:

I received cancellation notice for our August 19 yesterday too. Requested full refund, we are booked for January 27  ,2021 on symphony too, and if cancelled will probably do future credit on that trip.

The very disturbing news from our TA is that 90 days is BUSINESS days, equivalent of 4.5 months. I definitely feel that is totally inappropriate/ un-necessay and reflects very poorly on Crystal

I’d have your agent get clarification on that one...  I haven’t seen Crystal word it as 90 business days in writing anywhere yet at all.  There are reasons it can go over 90 days, but I haven’t seen Crystal indicate anywhere that they’re actually planning for longer than 90 days by process — yet.

Vince

3 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

I’d have your agent get clarification on that one...  I haven’t seen Crystal word it as 90 business days in writing anywhere yet at all.  There are reasons it can go over 90 days, but I haven’t seen Crystal indicate anywhere that they’re actually planning for longer than 90 days by process — yet.

Vince

I e-mailed back to TA as soon as I saw the 90  business days quoted by her. My e-mail would have been "after hour' for her time zone, so I expect she would follow on that tomorrow. I emphatically expressed my displeasure and hope to get some response.

6 minutes ago, docmark said:

I e-mailed back to TA as soon as I saw the 90  business days quoted by her. My e-mail would have been "after hour' for her time zone, so I expect she would follow on that tomorrow. I emphatically expressed my displeasure and hope to get some response.

I would too!  Hopefully you’ll get a correction tomorrow, and they really aren’t changing the story (from what is posted in today’s releases even).  🤞 

Vince

20 hours ago, Out2See said:

Interesting....fingers crossed then. by the way, we had the pleasure of enjoying your terrific presentations on the Symphony last November. May I respectfully ask if you will be singing for your supper (maybe literally) this time or simply coming along for the fun ride ? !!