Internet question from Newbie

Newbie810

Hi there,

I see the internet packages, don't need those explained.  My question is that I get a healthy amount of "data" on my cell program.  I don't feel I need the WIFI packages and can limit myself within my data limits.  My question, is on NCL Jewel, do they "jam" the signal at all, requiring you to do wifi?  Meaning: is there any chance my data will not work?

I have used it on tons of trips, all over the world, but have never been on a cruise.

While on a cruise, you are only close enough to shore to get land-based cell signals when you are pulling into a port and there for the day.  While in port, it is possible you can use your cell carriers data plan easily IF they have a roaming agreement with that country's carriers.  If they don't it could be expensive.  While you are at sea, away from shore, your only access to a cell signal is from a ship-based carrier that will also be expensive.  I don't think any US carrier has a cheap agreement with them.  

1 hour ago, Newbie810 said:

Hi there,

I see the internet packages, don't need those explained.  My question is that I get a healthy amount of "data" on my cell program.  I don't feel I need the WIFI packages and can limit myself within my data limits.  My question, is on NCL Jewel, do they "jam" the signal at all, requiring you to do wifi?  Meaning: is there any chance my data will not work?

I have used it on tons of trips, all over the world, but have never been on a cruise.

The ship does not "jam" telephone signals. The signals from cell towers on land extend out about 2 miles. After that, you won't have land-based cell service. 

Once you are off shore and out of range of land-based cell towers, the ship will turn on its cell tower. At that point, if you have data roaming on, your phone will roam to the ship's cell tower. Your cell phone company (not the ship) will charge your for calls and data while roaming to the ship's tower.

For most carriers, your data plan is not valid while on a cruise ship. Just like you need a special plan when traveling internationally. 

My carrier (AT&T) charges $4.10/MB (that's megabyte) for roaming data and $3.00/minute for phone calls on a cruise ship. 

I have never purchased any data/internetpackage for use on board a cruiseship as I find the prices to be extremely high for just a few days use. If I have no onboard data available through a free promotional offer or any loyalty program from the cruiseline, then I just "survive" when using internet only when the ship is in port or when I am ashore myself. Just be certain to have the data roaming and wifi OFF while out at see, otherwise (as others have mentioned before) you will have to pay a very high price for "data at sea" and the use will come on the bill from your cellphone provider at home. 

• Like 1

Verizon used to have packages for cellular at sea up to about three years ago.  Now pay as you go and expensive.

Note POA does not have a cell tower option on ship like other NCL ships if you are sailing her.

The general rule is that, regardless of your carrier, you will not have any cell service once you are out at sea. When in Port, if a US Port, of course you will have it, if not, then it depends on your international coverage with your cell provider.  Nothing will "jam" service if you would otherwise have it.

I have a carrier which provides coverage first through Wi-Fi, and I am curious if the ship wi-fi will enable me to use my phone like it works at home.  I purchased the upgrades streaming Wi-Fi , and will cross my fingers, but not really holding my breath either.

Long and short is that phone service and data do not work at all while at sea.

3 hours ago, brovol said:

I have a carrier which provides coverage first through Wi-Fi, and I am curious if the ship wi-fi will enable me to use my phone like it works at home.  I purchased the upgrades streaming Wi-Fi , and will cross my fingers, but not really holding my breath either.

I'm not sure what the first part of this means, most phones will use WiFi if connected and available with many carriers offering WiFi calling and texting (which needs to be set up before you leave home or at least before you board if it hasn't been done previously).  Additionally - I would NOT leave cellular on and rely on the WiFi staying connected all the time.  It would be just your luck that the WiFi would disconnect, you wouldn't see it and would then rack up one heck of a bill through the Cellular At Sea system.

Always, ALWAYS, enable airplane mode then turn on WiFi and Bluetooth (if needed for a watch or other connected device) when on the ship to ensure you don't get any odd/huge bills.  If you don't get the unlimited plan you can still be connected to the ship WiFi all the time, you just need to be sure to use the log on website to start your session and log off website to end your session so you don't run through your allotted minutes in the course of a day.

8 hours ago, brovol said:

The general rule is that, regardless of your carrier, you will not have any cell service once you are out at sea. When in Port, if a US Port, of course you will have it, if not, then it depends on your international coverage with your cell provider.  Nothing will "jam" service if you would otherwise have it.

All NCL ships (with the potential exception of the Pride of America) have cell towers and cellular phone calls work fine. Data is expensive if you don't have a cruise ship package from your carrier. 

WiFi calling, Audio Facetime, Audio Skype usually work o.k. Choppy at times. Dropped calls from time to time. It really depends on what your fellow passengers are doing and where in the world you are sailing (the further north and south you are from the equator gives you a lower look angle to the satellites and more opportunities for atmospherics to degrade the satellite signal). 

21 hours ago, brovol said:

Absolutely not true.  We've sailed many NCL ships and other lines and have used both cell phone via cellular and jetpack via cellular.

Verizon used to have fairly reasonable packages but now it is quite expensive pay as you go.  Speeds not great and some disconnects.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2020 at 2:23 AM, TrumpyNor said:

I have never purchased any data/internetpackage for use on board a cruiseship as I find the prices to be extremely high for just a few days use. If I have no onboard data available through a free promotional offer or any loyalty program from the cruiseline, then I just "survive" when using internet only when the ship is in port or when I am ashore myself. Just be certain to have the data roaming and wifi OFF while out at see, otherwise (as others have mentioned before) you will have to pay a very high price for "data at sea" and the use will come on the bill from your cellphone provider at home. 

Isn't it amazing how we survive not having our toys work 24/7?  People get so tied up in knots over something that really isn't very important.  Get out there ... enjoy your cruise ... deal with real life when you get back to the US.

• Like 1