Cruising from Miami 23rd Sept 2020

McHaggis69

Just a straw poll.

Its my wife's 50th and we booked upper class flights to Miami, Cruise round the Caribbean for 7 days then a short stop in Toronto before returning to Scotland...

Question is -

What do you think the chance of us getting to cruise on 23rd September with MSC?

We are both totally willing to go if there are no actual/legal barriers, so not looking for advice, just gut feelings will MSC be cruising by then?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McHaggis69 said:

Just a straw poll.

Its my wife's 50th and we booked upper class flights to Miami, Cruise round the Caribbean for 7 days then a short stop in Toronto before returning to Scotland...

Question is -

What do you think the chance of us getting to cruise on 23rd September with MSC?

We are both totally willing to go if there are no actual/legal barriers, so not looking for advice, just gut feelings will MSC be cruising by then?

I would say it's unlikely but, if there is one area in the world where it just might start up by mid-septemberish that is Florida!

Good luck to fellow Scots.

• Like 1

We've got a booking a month later than yours and while we're still hoping it will go, there's no way to know that yet.  Things are just much to fluid now to predict out 4-5 months.  Even if Florida is "open," we don't know what restrictions will still be imposed on the cruise industry or which countries/islands will allow cruise ship port calls.  

We've been on many Caribbean cruises so the ports are that important to us but this will be our first MSC cruise (in Yacht Club to boot) so the on-board experience is what we are interested in discovering.  If we just sail for seven days in hopefully warm & sunny weather will be OK by us (perhaps with a day in Ocean Cay?).

Anyway - Hope it works out for you.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hamrag said:

I would say it's unlikely but, if there is one area in the world where it just might start up by mid-septemberish that is Florida!

Good luck to fellow Scots.

I am in two minds about whether European cruising will open up before US cruising. I had thought the CDC were being particularly hard-ball with their criteria before allowing sailings again, whereas countries such as Greece are opening up for tourism (in limited form, so probably does not include cruising) soon.

I am considering an October MSC cruise, Northern Europe out of Hamburg so close to home should anything go wrong/I need an exit.

Had also planned the Greek Isles on NCL's Spirit in August but will admit that one looks a bit less likely!!

Sadly...I do not think MSC or any other line will be ready by the Fall.  There are just too many obstacles to overcome.  Just restructuring the buffet will take time.  Testing each passenger before boarding will have to be worked out.  Even if they do resume sailing, where do you think you would be sailing to??  Most ports will be closed to cruise traffic.  Cruising in the near future might be limited to the ship and a visit to the private island.  

My GF and I have a Northern Europe cruise out of London (Southampton) booked for mid-October.  Flights are in place and we were going to stay 4 or 5 nights in London pre-cruise.  I had asked my GF not to book non-refundable and unfortunately she did, so not sure how that will play out.

I'm still guessing it's about 50/50 as to whether we can go or not.  I guess time will tell in the coming months.

27 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Based on what facts?

Rather than glibly question someones opinion why don't you state your facts for yours, that has yet to be expressed.

Not until WHO rescinds its pandemic alert. No covid insurance for you and the cruise lines.

Won't happen as long as community transmission on-going in the Americas (USA, Brazil, Mexico), India, Middle East, Russia, UK, and starting to rise in Africa.

Then, there's the problem of the requirement for 14-day isolation in many provinces/nations which will last for months after the province/nation has its epidemic under control. 

Sorry.

I'm wishing you luck that your cruise is a GO!  Right now the CDC has cruises in the US locked out until late July OR cruise ships come up with agreeable plans.  I know lines are working on what they can do...will it suffice?  Who knows (and not WHO, although they may have better insight!)  I have my fingers crossed for you, because we have a late Sept. sailing to Canada/NE, which I fear will not go.  Back on MSC for a Nov cruise for DH's birthday.  This year I'm batting 0 on my cruises....first one cancelled from death in family, 2nd one from the virus.  Fingers crossed for 3 and/or 4 to make it!  I'm in serious withdrawal right now!

Latest information seems to point to virus not staying active on surfaces as long as once feared, so that may be helpful.  Major hurdles and lots of unknowns still out there!  I wish you good luck with your plans!  Stay safe, stay healthy!

I’m feeling positive for September cruises. As Florida resident I see how well state is doing and I am hopeful cruising we’ll resume as early as August. Universal Amusement park is opening June 5th which is an excellent sign. So fingers crossed! 🙏🏻🤞🏻🙏🏻🤞🏻

I really strongly think September is gonna happen out of Florida. Its somewhat of the best window of opportunity I think. Hurricanes notwithstanding, of course. If this thing rebounds its gonna be in November. I think September is going to be the goal post for Miami and Lauderdale sailings to open caribbean and Bahamian (private islands) ports for the cruise lines. Ive got a Sep 12 MIA, Oct 26 NY, Dec on NCL from MIA, Jan something MIA, and April MIA. Of those I think my September is the strongest, if this thing spikes again and people start coming down with it on ships in Fall again, its gonna be all stop again. 

Of course my opinion, isnt worth the electrons that this post is riding on!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the responses.

With the sailing ban extended to 15th September, we have sadly decided we are probably best to reschedule to 2021.

Even if sailings begin on 15th (doubtful given the way the pandemic is roaring back in Florida) then we don't particularly want to be the 'guinnea pigs' trialling some very new procedures and practices on board and at the various destinations. It could be total chaos.

November and December we considered, but to be honest - we're just gonna look to late Spring 2021

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

I realize that September is 3 months away, but with the virus up tick in Floeida right now, i can't even see anybody wanting to fly here, much less get on a cruise here.

Indeed, because of WDW restrictions the biggest UK tour operator has today announced cancellations to Florida through December.