Cruising from Miami 23rd Sept 2020

McHaggis69

18 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Indeed, because of WDW restrictions the biggest UK tour operator has today announced cancellations to Florida through December.

Rumor mill has some of the other mainstream players cancelling everything through December 1st also.

IF (a big if) there are fall cruises, it's going to be a very few test runs IMO.

I place our South America January cruise at a 5% chance of sailing. 

The question now is which lines have the resources to stay in cold lay up the longest 😞

Edited by BermudaBound2014

On 5/29/2020 at 7:51 PM, gmbhardy said:

Hey Bird, just realized this comment was posted on the MSC forum. Just wondering how many cruises you’ve taken on MSC?

Fo you need info on MSC?

We have cruised MSC since 2006, 4 different ships for a total of 8 MSC cruises.

Stay Safe! 

On 5/16/2020 at 11:32 AM, McHaggis69 said:

Just a straw poll.

Its my wife's 50th and we booked upper class flights to Miami, Cruise round the Caribbean for 7 days then a short stop in Toronto before returning to Scotland...

Question is -

What do you think the chance of us getting to cruise on 23rd September with MSC?

We are both totally willing to go if there are no actual/legal barriers, so not looking for advice, just gut feelings will MSC be cruising by then?

No flights from USA to Canada till November .for now. I am sure it will be extended.really hope so.we cancelled our December Cruise. I don't know what should happen to make us to go to America any time soon.

5 minutes ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

No flights from USA to Canada till November .for now. 

Can you send me a link to that if its the official position - this will help me with any switches of flights or insurance claims.

7 minutes ago, McHaggis69 said:

Can you send me a link to that if its the official position - this will help me with any switches of flights or insurance claims.

No Link . Official Canada start regular flights on July 23 . My daughter wanted to cancel her December flight they told her to wait. Now they cancel till end of October with USA but they sure it will be extended. It will be last minute announced so we keep buying tickets and air line keep our money.lol. my advice cancel this trip . November is election in USA it will be much more "protests"and riots . And don't forget over 40000 Covid cases per day. 

On 6/26/2020 at 9:26 AM, hamrag said:

Indeed, because of WDW restrictions the biggest UK tour operator has today announced cancellations to Florida through December.

When this thing subsides, we locals will be getting some great deals

5 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

This does not fly.  This went on in NY until May 10th.  It was only stopped when the media, which was fawning over Cuomo at the time, began pointing out all the deaths it was causing.  By April 1st, everybody knew this was deadly to the elderly.  So they just blindly followed a bureaucratic recommendation that they knew was wrong, just to CYA?  NY also had field hospital beds that were never used.  Just to be clear.

We can agree the recommendation was stupid.  But it was the CDC's recommendation.   

10 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Everyone agrees on this point, which begs the question...... what other recommendations from the CDC are 'stupid'?? 

Also agreeing here.  What the hell happened to this organization who literally the pinnacle of where to go when crap hits the fan for virus and disease related issues.  I mean its baked into their name.

Edited by cscurlock
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cscurlock said:

Also agreeing here.  What the hell happened to this organization who literally the pinnacle of where to go when crap hits the fan for virus and disease related issues.  I mean its baked into their name.

It will be nice when this is over and we can argue over the best cruise ship.

• Like 1

Little bit disappointed in MSC...

We booked through a third party (Viva Voyage) and we have tried to take advantage of MSC's option to shift our cruise to May 2021. Seems fine, until MSC confirmed to our agent they would not honour our 'drinks inclusive' deal we had when we booked for September 2020.

i.e. when we booked for September they had a promotion whereby Fantastica or above included free full drinks package for free.

They are now only willing to shift our cruise. If we want the drinks package, we have to pay for it this time.

Leaves a little bit of a sour taste to be honest.

Washington Post article yesterday, under the heading “Florida Invited the Nation to its Reopening — Then it Became a new Coronavirus Epicenter”.

To summarise

• As the coronavirus savaged other parts of the country Florida, buoyed by low infection rates, seemed an ideal location for a nation looking to emerge from isolation. The NBA eyed a season finale at a Disney sports complex near Orlando and millions packed onto once-empty beaches. Weeks later, the Sunshine State has emerged as a coronavirus epicenter.
  • Nearly 1 out of every 100 residents is infected with the virus, hospital intensive care units are full or filling up, and big-name visitors who chose Florida for their first post-isolation events are now mired in questions and controversies about safety. 
  • Amid escalating infections, Florida is faring poorly.
  • Residents worry the situation will get much worse. Florida is now one of a handful of states whose spiking numbers are driving a major resurgence of the virus in the United States. On Tuesday there were 213,794 cases of the coronavirus in Florida, according to Washington Post data. The state has tallied a record number of cases over the past week, averaging 8,766 a day, according to data.  
  • In a sign of intensifying trouble 52 intensive care units across more than a third of the state’s counties had reached capacity by Tuesday, according to data released by the state’s Agency for Health Care Administration. Another 17 hospitals had also run out of regular beds.

You do begin to wonder when, perhaps even if, cruising can resume in the next year or two!

In Florida, we are averaging over 9000 cases per day, but that's been over 11,000 several times. Very dangerous place. Cities and counties have put rules in place to combat the spread, but the state has done nothing but make excuses.

On 7/9/2020 at 4:25 PM, hamrag said:

Washington Post article yesterday, under the heading “Florida Invited the Nation to its Reopening — Then it Became a new Coronavirus Epicenter”.

To summarise

• As the coronavirus savaged other parts of the country Florida, buoyed by low infection rates, seemed an ideal location for a nation looking to emerge from isolation. The NBA eyed a season finale at a Disney sports complex near Orlando and millions packed onto once-empty beaches. Weeks later, the Sunshine State has emerged as a coronavirus epicenter.
  • Nearly 1 out of every 100 residents is infected with the virus, hospital intensive care units are full or filling up, and big-name visitors who chose Florida for their first post-isolation events are now mired in questions and controversies about safety. 
  • Amid escalating infections, Florida is faring poorly.
  • Residents worry the situation will get much worse. Florida is now one of a handful of states whose spiking numbers are driving a major resurgence of the virus in the United States. On Tuesday there were 213,794 cases of the coronavirus in Florida, according to Washington Post data. The state has tallied a record number of cases over the past week, averaging 8,766 a day, according to data.  
  • In a sign of intensifying trouble 52 intensive care units across more than a third of the state’s counties had reached capacity by Tuesday, according to data released by the state’s Agency for Health Care Administration. Another 17 hospitals had also run out of regular beds.

You do begin to wonder when, perhaps even if, cruising can resume in the next year or two!

Over 15,000 cases recorded in the last 24 hours in Florida. I can't see how the CDC aren't extending the no sail date to the end of the year if these figures continue. Although given there are only limited restrictions in place, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't. 

• Like 1

Not all of Florida is seeing the huge increase in cases. I live in Volusia county and we are at around 3200 cases since the virus started. So please don't group all of Florida in the same catagory.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rwdtgb said:

Not all of Florida is seeing the huge increase in cases. I live in Volusia county and we are at around 3200 cases since the virus started. So please don't group all of Florida in the same catagory.

Fair comment, if true, so not too bad for Cape C....however, the vast majority of cruises from Florida are from Port Everglades or Miami and I guess that is what CruisingFoxs' comment was based on! Personally, I agree with her assessment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rwdtgb said:

Glad to hear the cases are too significant in your area but when the figures are reported internationally they are only listed per state, so all of Florida is grouped into the same category. I'm sure other countries have towns with higher numbers than others but the overarching figures aren't broken down by town in the global figure. And its the overall figure which determines those figures.