Please refrain from doing chargebacks

11 hours ago, oceanlovinmama said:

I get it...you want your money, but so do I AND I don't want to give it back or be on the hook for your cruise that you got refunded for.  It happens.  It happened this week to a rep with a land supplier.  Now they are coming after her for the deposit of $750.  Maybe in this case, where the cruises were actually cancelled, they wouldn't come after us for payment BUT they can..

Wow. So the customer gets a refund but you must still keep your share for a sale that didn't complete? Just wow.

Look, I know that cruiselines have guaranteed "protected" your commission for cancellations as a result of this. But that's a goodwill gesture, not something that is required. If you have to wear a few losses for people getting refunds, that's just the way things work out. Since the transaction did not happen, it's no different from them normally cancelling a cruise and getting a full refund.

Making up like it's your entitlement just isn't a good look.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This is one of the most narcissistic threads ive see in a LONG time.

You became a TA, Most people in this industry are part timers looking to earn money and have some fun while doing it.  The other, have made this there full time career.  They get into travel because they like it and they can receive nice perks in return.

Now you really have to work your butts off because of this “VIRUS” Well,  you chose this career path.  NOW ITS WORK, and for the last two month its mostly been Pro bono. 
Do we feel sorry for you, NO. We are all equally screwed.  I can post 100 different reasons  why your post is falling on deaf ears.  However, its should be obvious.  Just in case its not here is one for you.  Almost all the cruise lines have protected your commissions.  there are very few charge backs in the industry as a result  of this pandemic. 

Its like my Attorney telling me not to drop the law suit because his Mercedes payment is due. C’mon really??? 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

So true.  I've gone direct and also with a TA.  While you do get some extra perks with a TA, I found I can not always get a hold of the TA when I need to.  Once you've signed up with a TA the cruise line will simply ignore you -- not good if you have a time sensitive issue.  Depending on the issue, the extra OBC is sometimes not worth giving up your direct communication with the cruise line.  Just my experience. 

I received the same perks by booking directly as opposed to a travel agency just by taking a screen shot of the OBC offer plus Celebrity threw in two very good bottles of wine. I remember chatting with a lady at my dinner table and mentioned I had credit and she said she booked with a TA who offered nothing.  If you don't ask you don't get. 

34 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I received the same perks by booking directly as opposed to a travel agency just by taking a screen shot of the OBC offer plus Celebrity threw in two very good bottles of wine. I remember chatting with a lady at my dinner table and mentioned I had credit and she said she booked with a TA who offered nothing.  If you don't ask you don't get. 

Good to know.  Thanks for sharing!

37 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I received the same perks by booking directly as opposed to a travel agency just by taking a screen shot of the OBC offer plus Celebrity threw in two very good bottles of wine.

That is very unlikely to work on RCI.

19 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Chargebacks are for fraudulent transactions. I wonder if after the investigation and it's clear that the transaction isn't fraudulent and the bank sides with the cruise line, if the card gets charged again and the passenger has to wait again for the original refund? 

Chargebacks are also for charge errors, which includes being charged twice for the same item, returning an item and not receiving credit, for a product or service you never received, or received late, etc. 

16 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

.......As I said only a few disputed transactions but not a single one did the seller respond to the credit card company. We got the charge backs by default even when all we wanted was the sellers to make good. But they didn’t care about making good. They figure most people won’t bother to dispute the charges so they will come out ahead.

This has been my experience as well. If you take time to fill out the form, chances are good that you will prevail.

45 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That is very unlikely to work on RCI.

Agreed. I don't care for RCI but booked a March break cruise only because I was taking 14 year old with me. They offered nothing but the cabin was a great price. If we go again I'll take her on Celebrity shes not fussed about the water slides.

On 5/17/2020 at 12:23 AM, OHCruisinDad said:

Refunds are processed based on the payment purpose.  There is separate accounting for cruise fares, cruise planner purchases and taxes/port fees.  When you cancel a cruise it will remain in your cruse history until all components of the total fare are processed for refunds or FCC's.

This is not true at all. My cruise disappeared from my cruise history the day after I cancelled my cruise, which was April 5th. I am still waiting for all my money to be returned. I did a chargeback for my cruise planner items that after waiting a month never got returned to me. I also did a chargeback recently for the remaining $2000 that they still owe me. I was successful with the cruise planner items as I expect I will be successful with my reamining $2000 that they owe me. 

Edited by Hammergirl

I'm on hold with Chase right now, as tomorrow it will be 8 weeks since our May 2 cruise was cancelled and the refund was requested. I emailed my travel agency last week, and they suggested that I talk to my bank to protest the charges.

On 5/17/2020 at 4:07 PM, kastke said:

Actually, since the cruise line is protecting your commission, you are not working “for not a penny”.  You are just doing more work to earn your money. 

I was a salaried employee before I retired. My pay was the same, whether I worked 40 hours or 60 hours. Too many of those 60 hour weeks might have made it seem like I was working for nothing, but I was not. No different for sales reps/travel agents. Some commissions are easily earned, some you have to work your tail end off to earn. 

Sorry but you are wrong...when there are chargebacks, I lose money...when I’m moving cruises to next year that is work I’m doing now, but again won’t get paid for until next year IF they still take the cruise.  The hours on the phone checking on refunds and FCC’s...all the land tours that were cancelled I get nothing for...the cruises that were only deposited and wanted cancelled...work, but again, no pay.  Look...I honestly never thought this would blow up like it did...I was just sayin please to think twice...I don’t mind losing my commission, it’s the thousands of dollars they can come after me for because I used your credit card...I’m the rep for you, but when you chargeback, you get a credit and the cruiseline comes for me...we are hoping since the cruises cancelled they won’t, but they can...other suppliers are going after others in my office for the deposits etc.  

9 minutes ago, oceanlovinmama said:

Sorry but you are wrong...when there are chargebacks, I lose money...when I’m moving cruises to next year that is work I’m doing now, but again won’t get paid for until next year IF they still take the cruise.  The hours on the phone checking on refunds and FCC’s...all the land tours that were cancelled I get nothing for...the cruises that were only deposited and wanted cancelled...work, but again, no pay.  Look...I honestly never thought this would blow up like it did...I was just sayin please to think twice...I don’t mind losing my commission, it’s the thousands of dollars they can come after me for because I used your credit card...I’m the rep for you, but when you chargeback, you get a credit and the cruiseline comes for me...we are hoping since the cruises cancelled they won’t, but they can...other suppliers are going after others in my office for the deposits etc.  

If I understand correctly you are basing this over they could theoretically come after you, right?  But they haven't, right?  They have guaranteed your commissions, right? There are other TAs on this forum that are not complaining at all.  What gives?

If you've read through this whole thread, there are many politely asked questions you haven't answered.  

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, oceanlovinmama said:

Maybe you should fine tune your resume for a career change. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Maybe you should fine tune your resume for a career change. 

1 hour ago, oceanlovinmama said:

so... you want everyone to TRUST royal and push their cruises to next year. Well, I have a TA booked for November and I actually want it canceled so I can get my money back. Don’t want a fcc that may or may not be usable. 

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

If I understand correctly you are basing this over they could theoretically come after you, right?  But they haven't, right?  They have guaranteed your commissions, right? There are other TAs on this forum that are not complaining at all.  What gives?

If you've read through this whole thread, there are many politely asked questions you haven't answered.  

I was answering the questions to the poster on this, saying I really wasn’t working for free since commission was protected,  but our commission is only protected IF final payment has been made, but if there is a chargeback, it is recalled.  There are a lot of other things besides booked cruises.   I honestly didn’t want it to sound like I was complaining ....I honestly was just asking people to give the cruiselines some time and to think twice about a chargeback IF you used a TA...in case they didn’t know the downside to it.  I never thought it would blow up like this.  
as for the other questions...I may go back and read some but so many comments have been hurtful..and most were from people who didn’t use a TA...like I said, I was only asking to think twice.  I don’t know about the other TAs...I didn’t begin by complaining...I was again asking to give the cruiselines some time and think twice.  I’m a million+ seller so maybe the others don’t have as many to deal with as I do.  I’m also a single woman who depends on this as my income. I don’t want to lose my commission, who wants to lose their paycheck, but that’s not what worries me...it’s the $5000 cruise that you got your money for, but now the cruiseline is coming after me..yes, theoretically speaking because they have not come back to me yet, but they have another rep in the office.  I give my clients options...I’ve told some not to pay their final payment, even though I knew my commission could be protected, but I didn’t want them to be waiting on their return, knowing Europe wouldn’t be sailing.   I’ve never advised to do a chargeback, unless it was a case where they weren’t being offered any compensation. The cruiselines have offered refunds or FCC in these cases.  In the end, you have to do what is best for you and I totally get it.  

5 minutes ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

your safe, they can’t come after you if I do a chargeback.  Your just the agent and dispute is between me and them.  I also think the online company you are under gives you protection looking at your web page.   Also I wonder how many TA’s applied for the PPP, they are allowed.  

They have come after another rep in my office.  I act as your representative to the cruiseline, like the go between and I give them your credit card in good faith.  I applied for unemployment but did not qualify.  I also don’t qualify for PPP in my state but I have applied for the PUA once it opened last week.  

On 5/17/2020 at 12:43 PM, NameThatFunnel said:

I'm not saying that commission should not be paid to travel agents, but the customers who actual paid to go on the cruise (and put that commission in the pocket of the TA), should be refunded first. What not make a TA wait 60 or 90 days for their commissions!

That is totally fair.  Most of the time we wait 6-9 months or more since we book so far out.  But I agree with you, the clients should get their refund and then the TA.

8 minutes ago, bbinz said:

I really wish her travel agency and her clients could see her posts. It’s still amazing she still doesn’t get it and is giving TAs a really bad look!!

What am I saying wrong?? I simply asked people to please give the cruiselines some time and reconsider doing a chargeback IF they used a TA...many did not know they lose commission and can be held accountable for the full charge.  I never implied anything else..I never said not to do it...you have to do what’s best for you, and many of my clients are on here because I recommend cruise critic.  This is why I got on to ask for time and consideration, because one of my clients did this and had no idea they would recall my commission.  I also told my boss about it and the posts I’ve been getting.  I never thought in a million years I would have opened up this can of worms by simply asking to please think twice.  Jeez..

56 minutes ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

PPP rules are federal. If you are “

• Self-employed, sole proprietors, freelance and gig economy workers are also eligible to apply.”

Something is going on with your co-worker that has not really been explained, makes me wonder what the rest of the story is.

Just doing a chargeback on a cruise  they had not been on is not going to even be on the cruise company’s radar right now, unless other things were going on that have not been explained.

In her case, the client canceled and only paid the $750 deposit.  Because his trip wasn’t cancelled he was offered a FCC but didn’t want that...wanted his money, so he did a chargeback and the supplier is holding the rep liable unless she sends all correspondence plus cc authorization firm to supplier so they can contest chargeback.  That’s all I know about it.   I know I wasn’t eligible for the PPP because I asked my tax accountant for help.  I had to wait for Ohio to open the PUA...hopefully I’ll be approved.  Thank you for your service.  My son in law graduated from the Naval academy.  He’s retiring this year as a Lt Col from the Marines.  Flew the Ospreys among other things....picked a great time to retire😊

24 minutes ago, oceanlovinmama said:

In her case, the client canceled and only paid the $750 deposit.  Because his trip wasn’t cancelled he was offered a FCC but didn’t want that...wanted his money

I can’t say I blame them for the charge back. We are in the same situation. Royal is purposely delaying cancellations to insure people are inside final payment. Some want to cruise now but many of us don’t. Only option we have is to take an FCC for our deposit or make final payment.  We haven’t booked airfare or hotels for our October Allure Cruise. We should have an option to request a refund. It is my belief this cruise is not happening. If it sails, I’m sure the itinerary will not be what we hoped for. We are definitely out of the window to request a charge back. 

It would be prudent on you to push back on Royal regarding the FCC and no refund. 

My two cents. 

• Like 2

On 5/17/2020 at 1:40 PM, Baron Barracuda said:

Always thought it was dumb of cruise lines not to offer a discount or percs to those who book direct.  If they did wonder how many would continue to use a TA.

They do offer perks. It's called a sale. Sometimes it's a price drop and sometimes it's OBC. Online travel agents are a dime a dozen and most are just order takers for an online agency. They need to offer perks in order to compete with each other. The cruise lines compete by offering sales, OBC and sometimes appear to be offering extra perks like drink packages, paid gratuity, free wifi and specialty restaurant dining. However, the prices seem to jump up just before they offer the extra perks so you really have to monitor the price. Even with the upcharge it still may be a good deal overall depending on your cruising habbits.