Hand Dryers in Public Restrooms on the Ships

9 hours ago, samiam0403 said:

There's always a 3rd option - cloth hand towels. On our Costa cruise last year, we loved the rolled up washcloths in every bathroom for hand drying. They did an excellent job of keeping them stocked. 

Celebrity and HAL also have rolled drying clothes in their restrooms.

I actually started this thread on the Carnival board because Carnival uses the hand dryers in their public restrooms.  It looks like it was moved here.  I can see how it may look confusing for those who sail on lines that use paper or cloth towels in their public restrooms.  I wish Carnival would switch.

5 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I actually started this thread on the Carnival board because Carnival uses the hand dryers in their public restrooms.  It looks like it was moved here.  I can see how it may look confusing for those who sail on lines that use paper or cloth towels in their public restrooms.  I wish Carnival would switch.

Thank you for clarifying that TNcruising02.  Someone in one of the posts said that they hope they never put them on cruise ships.  I made the statement that they are already on cruise ships.  (Carnival, which is where this started).  I didn't specify Carnival in my post because it was on the Carnival board.  After it got moved, that's when all the confusion started.

• Like 2

I don't use blower hand dryers anywhere, and haven't for years.......I'd rather dry my hands on my own clothes than use one of them.  On my last Crystal cruise I was realized how much I appreciated the small washcloths they offer for drying our hands, as well as the tissue dispenser next to the door (to use when handling the door knob).   I am glad to see several other lines using them as well. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 11:53 AM, Saint Greg said:

How often do you actually see someone wash their hands for the 30 seconds you're supposed to? I say never. I do it myself because I'm a gemophobe but I've had times where in that 30 seconds someone else comes in, uses the bathroom, washes their hands and leaves before I'm finished washing my hands.

I thought it was 20 seconds (2 Happy Birthdays), but I agree many people do not wash even that long. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I thought it was 20 seconds (2 Happy Birthdays), but I agree many people do not wash even that long. 

Years ago I saw a demonstration that had people washing their hands and then showing the bacteria still on the hands. On that they said 30. So I've been counting to 30 mississippi in my head for years. Now it's probably impossible to find that video because there are a million of them that have come out in the last couple months but the CDC now says at least 20 seconds.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I use the second hand on my watch except for the middle of the night when I really want to go back to sleep and it is really about 16.

I am not a fan of the air dryers as well. But I also hate when they stick a towel roll on the sink counter and you have to rip off a section.

My wish - when things get moving again, that the 'non washers' would start. I'm amazed there is no age or social status that fits a 'non washer'.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

I am not a fan of the air dryers as well. But I also hate when they stick a towel roll on the sink counter and you have to rip off a section.

My wish - when things get moving again, that the 'non washers' would start. I'm amazed there is no age or social status that fits a 'non washer'.

I agree with you.  It's so disgusting to see someone walk out of a restroom without washing their hands.  Too bad it doesn't set off an alarm.  LOL.

34 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Years ago I saw a demonstration that had people washing their hands and then showing the bacteria still on the hands. On that they said 30. So I've been counting to 30 mississippi in my head for years

It's as much about HOW you wash your hands as how long you wash your hands.  Many people don't actually wash parts of their hands/fingers. 

2 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

It's as much about HOW you wash your hands as how long you wash your hands.  Many people don't actually wash parts of their hands/fingers. 

Yep that was also in the demonstration I’m referring to.

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

I also wondered when the "hand washing police" had made the process 50% longer.

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

Too bad it doesn't set off an alarm.  LOL.

I don't know if it is still there, but there was a bar in Milwaukee, WI that had some type of sensor if someone didn't turn on the water in the bathroom to wash their hands. When they excited the bathroom, an alarm with a red light would go off.

• Haha 1

After reading an article years ago that hand blowers spread something like 800% more germs than drying with towels, I try not to use them.  

I'm not sure I have ever seen the blow dryers on cruise ships, usually either paper towels or cloth towels.  Haven't sailed Carnival in a long time though.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 3:59 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I use the second hand on my watch except for the middle of the night when I really want to go back to sleep and it is really about 16.

16 seconds to thoroughly wash or 16 seconds to sing Happy Birthday 2X.  I agree that if singing fast even 2X isn't enough for the song - just what I always remember in the guidelines.  I find doing the alphabet song is a little longer 😄 

On 5/22/2020 at 7:54 PM, rkacruiser said:

The basic issue for the gentlemen's restroom is not how one's hands are dried.  The problem is those gentlemen who do not wash their hands at all after one uses the facilities!

Sadly, there are women who don't appear to wash their hands at all either (or so minimally as to basically not have) 😞