Encouraging words on Tahiti

Petoonya

In recent years we've become friendly with the proprietor of a B&B we always stay at in Papeete. He said the govt. is talking about opening up Tahiti July 1. Wasn't sure about cruise ships or USA visitors but most likely start with land visitors and small ships. Not definitive but good news anyway.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Zukini said:

Windstar just announced that they're resuming Tahiti itineraries on September 3rd.  I'm still somewhat wary.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22973-windstar-plans-to-start-cruising-again-in-september.html

Sorry....just quoted you with the news on another post. Yes it is still a little scary if the first don't go well particularly.

A Peruvian shipping trawler with sick sailor with COVID-19 just arrived in the Marquesas Island. One of them is airlifted to Papeete. They have no cases of COVID-19.

https://www.tahiti-infos.com/Suspicion-de-Covid-19-Le-navire-peruvien-a-Nuku-Hiva-mercredi-matin_a191217.html

Also, Airlines are talking with the authority about flying back to Tahiti

"We're ready. We can restart as soon as possible. But we are waiting to see under what conditions we will have to operate ”, explains Michel Monvoisin, CEO of Air Tahiti Nui. A question shared by all French airlines, recalled yesterday during hearings for elected officials of the Senate Overseas Commission. “No one will travel with a quarantine requirement on departure or arrival. We need specific dates. ”

Damn if you do, damn if you don't. Only they, knows what's best for them.

As far as Tahiti, the country is working on a plan to accept international travel but so far there is no word about quarantine restriction on arrival. Air New Zealand is waiting for the decision saying that NZ already have a 14 day quarantine in place.

https://www.tahiti-infos.com/Air-New-Zealand-d-accord-pour-revenir-a-Tahiti-mais-sans-quatorzaine_a191341.html

CHECK THE LATEST WINDSTAR SCHEDULE

Windstar didn’t wait for Thursday this week to announce changes. “Up to” $1000 obc has been added to a number of cruises, and in my case a b2b I constructed was changed to a 18 day Twice the Tahiti Itinerary at a substantial savings. 

Intercontinental Moorea official closing. No reopening as of yet. Covid-19 related. Other Intercontinental in the chain (Bora Bora amd Tahiti) not affected. If you thought of doing a precuise or post cruise there, your choice is limited.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, bplazo said:

We booked for December 3, 2020

Congratulations!

You may want to consider a "backup" cruise just in the small possibility yours doesn't get out in Dec. We have May 2021 and put a deposit down for Nov 2021 just in cast there's s glitch with COVID by May 2021. You might want to consider one of their April cruises like 4/22/21 as a backup. A little more money to tie up, but a better chance with COVID and also the weather in Tahiti in Dec. You lose $100 administrative fee to switch, but I'd rather take my chances.

On 5/18/2020 at 1:04 AM, Petoonya said:

In recent years we've become friendly with the proprietor of a B&B we always stay at in Papeete. He said the govt. is talking about opening up Tahiti July 1. Wasn't sure about cruise ships or USA visitors but most likely start with land visitors and small ships. Not definitive but good news anyway.

We are booked for March 2021. What is the name of the B&B. We’ll be looking for a 1 night stay.

@cherdon

It's a very modest but clean and comfy- a lot of cruisers stay at Fare Suisse. You can read reviews on Tripadvisor. Close to store and walking distance to town and the food trucks. The owner will pick you up at the airport and drop you off at the ship. It's extremely reasonable. 🙂

http://fare-suisse.com/

I heard good things also about fare Suisse

Note; The Meridien Bora Bora is closing, The Moorea International is closed and the Papeete Tiare Tahiti just announce the closing of their establishment for this week-end. Tahiti hurting.

On 6/15/2020 at 8:00 AM, cherdon said:

We are booked for March 2021. What is the name of the B&B. We’ll be looking for a 1 night stay.

When in March?  I'm the 11th on the Spirit  - and have Fare Suise booked the 10th.