do you realize how complicated it will be for cruising to restart

ontheweb

This is for baseball, but cruises with thousands of people, passengers and crew, would be even more complicated.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29186093/the-immensity-mlb-plan-return-daunting-health-safety-protocol

Try to think of all the protocols that would have to be put in place. It is mind boggling.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

This is for baseball, but cruises with thousands of people, passengers and crew, would be even more complicated.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29186093/the-immensity-mlb-plan-return-daunting-health-safety-protocol

Try to think of all the protocols that would have to be put in place. It is mind boggling.

I agree. Our country has choices moving forward; either relax the standards a bit and hope for the best and expect people to self regulate but be willing to shut down if an outbreak happens; or attempt to re-open while keeping social distancing mandated. It appears most places have chosen the latter and that is a very difficult environment to re-open anything that attracts large numbers of people. I keep hearing the argument " but everything is opening back up" as reasoning for why they will be cruising in June. I don't see how re-opening restaurants for 25% capacity, re-opening beaches for early mornings and late evenings only, and being able to get a haircut with a mask on is an indication that large scale events are ready to come back.

• Like 1

I agree with both of you. I guess it's that people ignore evidence that contradicts what they WANT TO DO. I think the hurdles/hoops are going to be enormous.

• Like 4

How complicated it has been made or that it really is?

I was on a cruise mid-March, and not a single case anyone knew of. Now apparently, we are living in a different world that makes it impossible. It is our own doing

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I agree. Our country has choices moving forward; either relax the standards a bit and hope for the best and expect people to self regulate but be willing to shut down if an outbreak happens; or attempt to re-open while keeping social distancing mandated. It appears most places have chosen the latter and that is a very difficult environment to re-open anything that attracts large numbers of people. I keep hearing the argument " but everything is opening back up" as reasoning for why they will be cruising in June. I don't see how re-opening restaurants for 25% capacity, re-opening beaches for early mornings and late evenings only, and being able to get a haircut with a mask on is an indication that large scale events are ready to come back.

In my opinion it makes absolutely no sense to play baseball ,basketball or football under the present conditions .There is no way that people should be cruising either as I have said numerous times.

Edited by lenquixote66

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

How complicated it has been made or that it really is?

I was on a cruise mid-March, and not a single case anyone knew of. Now apparently, we are living in a different world that makes it impossible. It is our own doing

I agree with this. We are suddenly meant to be scared of our own breath. And it seems many are.

Whilst plenty of others appear to going about their daily business as if  nothing has happened.

We are either scared witless or in complete denial.

I read figures from a statistician he other day who said in the uk there are 10million people  under 15 years of age and only 2 had died of the virus. 

There are 17 million between 15 and 30 with only 28 cases.

The odds of them dying was less than them dying of being crushed by a piano falling 40 stories. 

So I can see business restarting for the under 40s only including cruises.

They wouldnt need to socially distance would they?

And if any if you think the 20 somethings will.continue to live a hermit style lifestyle for ever then you are deluded.

The rebellion has already started by them and why not?  Let's face it it's likely to be their age range that suffers the most from this and the economic meltdown thats coming.

And for what?

To protect most of us on here that have lived our lives to the full already. 

I fear for the future of my children and their children unless things get back to normality soon.

Edited by DarrenM

21 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

I read figures from a statistician he other day who said in the uk there are 10million people  under 15 years of age and only 2 had died of the virus. 

The odds of them dying was less than them dying of being crushed by a piano falling 40 stories. 

How much of the cruising market is the "under 40s"?  

Aside from that - if only under 40s and their children cruise, certainly someone onboard will have and spread the virus.  Then they take it home to grandma & grandpa?  Same for "business as usual" thought process.   

I think some people have lost sight of the fact that everyone is "at risk" for catching the virus.  It's a new virus, and, like the Hawaiians and the measles epidemic introduced by European/American contact, we (all of us) are the Hawaiians.  So, while younger people aren't dying, percentage-wise, at the same rates as us old folks, they can get the disease and carry it back home to those people "at risk" for DYING from it.

Edited by Shmoo here
  • Like 2

I dont believe it will be all that complicated at all. The casual passengers wont even notice that there was a problem in the company. All these big companies have a "gold" reserve of funds in case of such market disturbances. Surly, the small ones may be going bankrupt right now, but the big ones feeling just alright 

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

I dont believe it will be all that complicated at all. The casual passengers wont even notice that there was a problem in the company. All these big companies have a "gold" reserve of funds in case of such market disturbances. Surly, the small ones may be going bankrupt right now, but the big ones feeling just alright 

None of the three largest cruise holding companies, Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCL had what you call a "gold" reserve.

They all had to raise a substantial amount of additional cash to get them through the extended shutdown.  A variety of ways of raising cash were employed,  including new loans secured by their ships, issuing notes at very high junk bond-like interest rates, issuing additional stock, which devalues the stock previously issued and investment by private equity firms. Had they not taken these steps their operating cash would have quickly shrunk to nothing, forcing other more drastic measures such as bankruptcy.

The big companies had to mortgage their future profitability to stay afloat in the near term. Those high-interest loans will have to be repaid down the road, so even assuming some semblance of normalcy eventually returns, the major cruise lines' profitability will be dampened for some time .

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I agree with this. We are suddenly meant to be scared of our own breath. And it seems many are.

Whilst plenty of others appear to going about their daily business as if  nothing has happened.

And if any if you think the 20 somethings will.continue to live a hermit style lifestyle for ever then you are deluded.

The rebellion has already started by them and why not?  Let's face it it's likely to be their age range that suffers the most from this and the economic meltdown thats coming.

And for what?

I fear for the future of my children and their children unless things get back to normality soon.

Do you really think there are enough under -40’s with the free time and disposable income to support a cruise industry of any significant size/quality?  There is even a limit on the number of yahoos available to keep Spring break booze cruises sailing.

Looking at your question from another angle:  how many deaths among the over-40’s would make you think there is a problem which needs to be addressed?

• Like 1

No idea. I was merely quoting the actual stats for the age groups discussed.

I am in the 50-60 group and have a dad just under 80 and a mother in law 84.

But I also have children in their early 20s and its them i feel more for.

Why  couldn't cruise lines adapt to be more exciting for the under 40s? Especially if it helps them.survive.

37 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

I was merely quoting the actual stats

No, you weren't quoting. You were stating somethings as facts. I'd love to see the actual links that support those "facts."

48 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

I am in the 50-60 group and have a dad just under 80 and a mother in law 84.

But I also have children in their early 20s and its them i feel more for.

Why  couldn't cruise lines adapt to be more exciting for the under 40s? Especially if it helps them.survive.

Because they aren’t a repeat customer.  Families with young kids might cruise once or twice, and only at certain times of the year.  What’s the point of having a part time business?  And I’m sorry but us old folk aren’t ready to be shunted aside and told we’re expendable just yet.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DarrenM said:

Because cruise lines are in business to make money, not to  charitably contribute to millennials.

Like it or not, the folks who can afford to travel enough to support cruise lines happen to be older, wealthier, and with more time off than young parents.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DarrenM said:

And for what?

Growing up, drank water from the hose, played in the mud, eating without washing hands, ECT. ECT.  We survived. 

• Like 3

Except.most on here are saying they wont be cruising for a very long time

Hence the cruise lines may adapt. Like all businesses do.

If the usual demographic wont cruise then what?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, clo said:

No, you weren't quoting. You were stating somethings as facts. I'd love to see the actual links that support those "facts."

No. I was repeating facts said by the uk governments own statistician.

But i accept I dont have the detail to hand.

But as usual the british government ignored the stats. Or to be more precise the statistician said the government didnt understand them or how to use them.

2 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Except.most on here are saying they wont be cruising for a very long time

Hence the cruise lines may adapt. Like all businesses do.

If the usual demographic wont cruise then what?

Hey, we are keeping our Aug 2020 booking on royal. We are diamond, so kick back and enjoy the extra attention from the staff, plus more prime rib and lobster for us, lol.

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

And, if all goes well, they, too, will survive this.  

Of course they will but they.might not have a job to enjoy the finer things in life. Especially if these lockdowns and fear continue for much longer.

• Like 1