do you realize how complicated it will be for cruising to restart

ontheweb

Just now, mbardsley said:

Hey, we are keeping our Aug 2020 booking on royal. We are diamond, so kick back and enjoy the extra attention from the staff, plus more prime rib and lobster for us, lol.

Good on you

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Because cruise lines are in business to make money, not to  charitably contribute to millennials.

Like it or not, the folks who can afford to travel enough to support cruise lines happen to be older, wealthier, and with more time off than young parents.

And who was referring to parents?

2 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Of course they will but they.might not have a job to enjoy the finer things in life. Especially if these lockdowns and fear continue for much longer.

Hey the government payed for my next Cruise with the stimulus check anyway.  What's this crap about 30's/40's cruise, he'll keep that flow Ryder going this almost 60 old man will surf it. What anyone 50+, dead it foot in grave.

This is for baseball, but cruises with thousands of people, passengers and crew, would be even more complicated.

Try to think of all the protocols that would have to be put in place. It is mind boggling.

This is why cruises will not be starting anytime soon, regardless of what the cruise line websites say or some hopeful (delusional?) cruisers believe. It will be a long, slow process to get the first ships sailing again and months or more to get full fleets sailing again. They cannot afford to rush back and have more outbreaks and be shut down again. That would be the end for many of the lines, regardless of how much liquidity they have built up in the past 6 weeks.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Of course they will but they.might not have a job to enjoy the finer things in life. Especially if these lockdowns and fear continue for much longer.

That right there could be the most important post in this thread.... 

26 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

I believe many people in my parents generation thought they (and their children) would never enjoy the "finer things in life".  But the human race survives.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mbardsley said:

Growing up, drank water from the hose, played in the mud, eating without washing hands, ECT. ECT.  We survived. 

Sounds like the Woody Allen movie in which he wakes up in the future and discovers that everything he was led to believe was bad for him was actually good for him.

There are things that can overdo "good for you". An example would be anti-bacterial soap. It kills good as well as bad bacteria. And it also does not allow you to build up resistance to bad bacteria.

• Like 1

For international cruises it will be doubly complicated since they will have to take into account whatever restrictions and rules the destination ports impose. That is going to require a lot of negotiations, discussions and adaptations which will all inevitably take time🙄

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gerryuk said:

Not whilst being locked up in Rikers Island, they wont.😷

I must lack imagination. I simply don't understand what you mean by that. The likelihood of any cruiseline CEO being found criminally guilty of anything over this mess is pretty much zero. Please explain.

• Like 1

Hey, we are keeping our Aug 2020 booking on royal. We are diamond, so kick back and enjoy the extra attention from the staff, plus more prime rib and lobster for us, lol.

Of course, if Texas’ “return to normal” does not pan out as hoped,everyone from there might have to quarantine 14 days as soon as they get anywhere else — diamond or not.

Edited by navybankerteacher

1 hour ago, DarrenM said:

And who was referring to parents?

You were referring to people under 40 - a very large percentage of whom are either parents or traveling with ther parents —- so if you exclude everyone over 40 as well as everyone up to age 40 who have children and might see cruising as a family vacation, you have a demographic too small to support any significant rebirth of the industry.

• Thanks 1

Did you feel the same way about about Hurricane Harvey before the rain came and devastated Houston ?

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

For international cruises it will be doubly complicated since they will have to take into account whatever restrictions and rules the destination ports impose. That is going to require a lot of negotiations, discussions and adaptations which will all inevitably take time🙄

Since we've only done intl. cruises I'm sure that's my focus. And aren't the majority of cruises intl.? Or let me rephrase. Don't all the major line cruise internationally so would have to have formal/legal agreements for the whole line and not individual ships? Who knows, maybe they'll agree to limited ships in limited areas? And incredible amount to deal with. I'm still thinking 2022.

25 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

You were referring to people under 40 - a very large percentage of whom are either parents or traveling with ther parents —- so if you exclude everyone over 40 as well as everyone up to age 40 who have children and might see cruising as a family vacation, you have a demographic too small to support any significant rebirth of the industry.

NBT, you really must stop trying to confuse people with the facts. Not really. Don't stop 🙂

45 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course, if Texas’ “return to normal” does not pan out as hoped,everyone from there might have to quarantine 14 days as soon as they get anywhere else — diamond or not.

Ya know, there are those non-lethal things that smart people think about. I know someone whose parents were on that ship that eventually docked in Oakland and then sent to a military facility for quarantine. No thanks.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Since we've only done intl. cruises I'm sure that's my focus. And aren't the majority of cruises intl.? Or let me rephrase. Don't all the major line cruise internationally so would have to have formal/legal agreements for the whole line and not individual ships? Who knows, maybe they'll agree to limited ships in limited areas? And incredible amount to deal with. I'm still thinking 2022.

Some cruises don't cross international boundaries or stick to a small region. In Australia we have cruises that only go around the country, NZ cruises can start in Sydney but only travel around one country, plenty of French Polynesian cruises that don't leave the territories, you have Greek and Croatian Island cruises, Alaskan cruises from what I understand at might make only one or two stops in Canada. I am sure there are more cruises out there that don't cross lots of borders, maybe it will become a more common place itinerary if border regulations become more complicated. 

2 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Some cruises don't cross international boundaries or stick to a small region. In Australia we have cruises that only go around the country, NZ cruises can start in Sydney but only travel around one country, plenty of French Polynesian cruises that don't leave the territories, you have Greek and Croatian Island cruises, Alaskan cruises from what I understand at might make only one or two stops in Canada. I am sure there are more cruises out there that don't cross lots of borders, maybe it will become a more common place itinerary if border regulations become more complicated. 

Thanks. Do you know if these are cruise lines that, say, are based in Australian and only cruise there or NZ? It's going to be complicated for sure.

7 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Did you feel the same way about about Hurricane Harvey before the rain came and devastated Houston ?

Wow, that is not a very nice way to put things. Dealing with hurricanes in Houston is a fact of life. Most devastation is not from the storm, but poor design of flood control, being allowed to build in a flood zone, ECT. Preventable items.  Me, would I build / live in a home in Houston that is downstream from a flood control dam, or a low spot in the area, NO. God gave me some common sense.  We stayed in our ground floor galleria townhome, flooded streets and cars around us, safe and secure. Even making a statement like that is kind of like "poking the bear", you wanted a reaction. 

I will not stop my life because I am scared, but enjoy it. You have a "blessed" day as my wife says.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Sounds like the Woody Allen movie in which he wakes up in the future and discovers that everything he was led to believe was bad for him was actually good for him.

There are things that can overdo "good for you". An example would be anti-bacterial soap. It kills good as well as bad bacteria. And it also does not allow you to build up resistance to bad bacteria.

Hey, we did, and that was a good movie. House was pretty cool. It still sits up on I70 as you go west out of Denver.  

We wash our hands more, sneeze or cough in pit, do all the stuff Mom taught us.

12 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

There are plenty of that age group without kids and plenty that would leave them with their grandparents. 

And of course there are plenty between 40 and 60 who would enjoy a cruise designed more for the 30-40 somethings.

And let's face it,  if it was that or shutting the firm down because older people have decided lifes too dangerous to enjoy, then why wouldnt they try and adapt?

It wasnt that long ago that cruises were only for the posh and extremely rich who love dressing up.

Thankfully that changed. I wonder why they happened?

Edited by DarrenM
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Alaskan cruises from what I understand at might make only one or two stops in Canada. 

Some great ideas, but might not work out in Alaska.

Alaska cruises can be R/T, normally from Seattle or San Francisco, but require a stop in a foreign port (Canada)to comply with PVSA. The PVSA does not provide for any other reasonable options other than a Canadian port. To negate the PVSA the cruise must start/end in a Canadian Port. Unfortunately neither of these options are available for the foreseeable future.

At present all Canadian ports are closed to cruise ships and the US/Canada border is closed to all non-essential travel. Due to virus numbers in the US, our Provincial Govt is requesting the border remains closed. However, even if the Federal Govt opened the border, British Columbia Quarantine Act requires a 14-day quarantine and our Provincial Doctor has stated this will remain in force. Anyone unable to self-isolate is quarantined by the Govt.

Therefore, even if cruise ships could dock in Victoria nobody could go ashore. For Vancouver cruises, pax would have to complete Govt mandated 14-day quarantine before boarding or disembarking. Another BC measure also applies, as we cannot have any gatherings of > 50 people, which will remain in effect until they find a vaccine or cure.

Unlikely any ships are sailing in Alaska this year. Next season? as it will depend on whether they have a vaccine/cure and how other countries have managed the virus. 

• Thanks 2

There are plenty of that age group without kids and plenty that would leave them with their grandparents. 

And of course there are plenty between 40 and 60 who would enjoy a cruise designed more for the 30-40 somethings.

Well, including those 40 to 60 does increase your 30-40 cruising  population by 200% -- making your earlier supposition more realistic.

And let's face it,  if it was that or shutting the firm down because older people have decided lifes too dangerous to enjoy, then why wouldnt they try and adapt?

Not just the older people  -  there are a lot of younger people who are smart enough to see the necessity of major adjustments to  cruise protocols absent development, manufacture and administration of an effective vaccine.

It wasnt that long ago that cruises were only for the posh and extremely rich who love dressing up.

Thankfully that changed. I wonder why they happened?

Even the "posh and extremely rich" have cut down on formal dress -- while an awful lot of the middle (and many lower income) folk still dress for special events - weddings, school dances, etc.  The whole world has gotten less formal day to day.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Not just the older people  -  there are a lot of younger people who are smart enough to see the necessity of major adjustments to  cruise protocols absent development, manufacture and administration of an effective vaccine.

I saw that French schools reopened and within a few days there were 70 cases in children. So their parents are mostly those "younger people" you quite correctly referred to.