do you realize how complicated it will be for cruising to restart

ontheweb

18 minutes ago, JimnKaren said:

I'm curious (and don't call me Shirley)...are any of you discussing this at home at the dinner table or over drinks? Or are you just stating stuff here and no where else? Not trying to challenge, but our discussions at home have been involved as to what to do and when to do and why do it.

Jim

The discussion comes up my mum but that is because she to is an avid traveller so she cares about the topic. If you are not keen on travel you would not care as much so there is no point bringing up the topic with someone who has no stakes in the game

• Like 1

Just now, ilikeanswers said:

The discussion comes up my mum but that is because she to is an avid traveller so she cares about the topic. If you are not keen on travel you would not care as much so there is no point bringing up the topic with someone who has no stakes in the game

Oh, I thought it was being asked about COVID in general. Specific to cruising? No. Bob's allowed to play golf these days with lots of restrictions. His buds all think that going on a cruise any time soon is nuts. So does our daughter. But it's not "discussed."

1 hour ago, JimnKaren said:

I'm curious (and don't call me Shirley)...are any of you discussing this at home at the dinner table or over drinks? Or are you just stating stuff here and no where else? Not trying to challenge, but our discussions at home have been involved as to what to do and when to do and why do it.

Jim

At home is only my wife and I.We discuss this every day with family members by phone.

At home is only my wife and I.We discuss this every day with family members by phone.

I have almost one Zoom or FaceTime get together every day and none want to go near a cruise ship. Travel yes. Cruise no. Only on Cruise Critic and cruise FB groups are there many people who want to cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I have almost one Zoom or FaceTime get together every day and none want to go near a cruise ship. Travel yes. Cruise no. Only on Cruise Critic and cruise FB groups are there many people who want to cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Both of my children are married and normally cruise at least once a year .They also do other traveling .One daughter and her husband were supposed to be in Greece last month and cancelled those plans.Neither of them have any desire to cruise any longer.

One son-in- law travels both internationally and domestically for his job .He is supposed to fly to California in July ,postponed from March.I hope that it will be rescheduled.

13 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

He is supposed to fly to California in July ,postponed from March.I hope that it will be rescheduled.

I MIGHT fly domestically with a good mask. Maybe.

2 hours ago, clo said:

Oh, I thought it was being asked about COVID in general. Specific to cruising? No. Bob's allowed to play golf these days with lots of restrictions. His buds all think that going on a cruise any time soon is nuts. So does our daughter. But it's not "discussed."

Well I could be wrong! I just assumed since they said "on this site" they must be talking about travel but who knows? Hopefully the poster can clarify😋

15 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Well I could be wrong! I just assumed since they said "on this site" they must be talking about travel but who knows? Hopefully the poster can clarify😋

Either interpretation is good.

On 5/18/2020 at 1:48 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Looking at your question from another angle:  how many deaths among the over-40’s would make you think there is a problem which needs to be addressed?

I assume you are not proposing that we live in lock-down until the virus disappears.   Why don't you tell us.  How many are acceptable?   

Want to save over half a million lives per year in America?  Remove alcohol & smoking.  Address poor diet/obesity and make that a cool million lives saved.   Let's outlaw everything unless, that is, you think one million dead is OK.      

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JimnKaren said:

Jim

Heck yeah.  Every day.  Just as you say, what, when, where, how.   Also trying to weed out what is fact vs garbage.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, clo said:

I read an excellent definition of the end of a pandemic: everyone is either dead or immune. It was not written in jest. That's how a pandemic ends whether there's a vaccine or not. And a cruise is as far as I can think of is the most extreme example of unsafe travel as it stands now. Even without air travel, there's tons of things to do and places to go

Here is another way, the virus mutates to a less virulent form. It's Darwinian. If as a virus, you keep killing your host, you also die out. If you mutate to say being as deadly as the common cold you become a nuisance, but really no big deal. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

I followed a few links this morning and found https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/05/15/good-news-on-the-human-immune-response-to-the-coronavirus

So, it appears possible that there will shortly be an effective vaccine.

As a baseline as to what is possible, the 1957 "Hong Kong" flu vaccine went from start of project to 40 million doses distributed in about 4 months [likely because there were not as many lawyers back then]

I'm not sure how relevant the 4 months for a Hong Kong flu vaccine was. That was a strain of an influenza which we already have a vaccine for an have a process to formulate, procedure, and distribute strain specific vaccines annually. I don't believe that we have ever developed an effective vaccine to any coroanvirus. And we have tried before with MERS and SARS. I've been reading alot of articles coming out about the vaccines that are in trial and it seems the biggest hurdle is testing efficacy. Typically for vaccines, once you find a "safe" medication that illicits the antibody response you expect to create immunity, you give doses to many thousands of people and then wait 6-12 months to compare how many of those caught the virus in community spread vs how many of people not given the vaccine caught the virus. That seems to be the time consuming part. And it's not just about lawyers, it's also about ethics. I did read that they have tossed around the idea of doing this much faster by giving the vaccine to many volunteers and then intentionally exposing them to coronavirus to determine if it's effective. That's an ethical issue; intentionally exposing volunteers to a potentially dangerous and deadly virus. And I suspect that it would have limited benefits to determining efficacy. Usually you want a randomized experiment where the sample you give the vaccine to represents the population you want tested; so would include young to old and healthy to unhealthy. In the intentional exposure method they said they would only use it on young and healthy people. So the fact that it works on young and healthy people with robust immune system who were the most likely to fight it off anyway, doesn't necessarily mean that it will work on the elderly or unhealthy people. I think it's a challenge and I'm sure they will overcome it,  but it won't be measured in a few months.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

You think this is so terrible compared with generations past where young men had to go out and fight in a war? Having his social life stolen from him? 

Assuming one survived combat, there would likely be a lot more mental anguish to get through than not being able to see one's mates or get blind drunk for half a year or so....

And before you say I don't know what I'm talking about, I am currently "sheltering in place" with my own 28-year-old son. So far we are both weathering it just fine. In this era, he is able to keep up with his group almost as completely as he does under normal circumstances. Granted he's not much of a drinker, but they all get online and chat, game, blow off steam, whatever....  

Ah the old world war comparison. Theres always one.

What people went through 80-100 years ago is irrelevant to today's youths and 20 somethings. And people of my age for that matter.

I mean what people went through in the 2nd world war is nothing compared to what those that lived through the first world war went through. 

And what about those that went through life in the 18th century. Wars are nothing compared to that.

History is not the fault of today's young people. 

Lets go back even further when life span was 30.

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

I assume you are not proposing that we live in lock-down until the virus disappears.   Why don't you tell us.  How many are acceptable?   

Want to save over half a million lives per year in America?  Remove alcohol & smoking.  Address poor diet/obesity and make that a cool million lives saved.   Let's outlaw everything unless, that is, you think one million dead is OK.      

Of course not - you “live in lock-down” no longer than is  necessary to break the uptrend in deaths. You return to normal return as soon as possible - prioritizing what is more important:  obviously schools and jobs and necessary day-to-day activities are important — cruising ???? - I’m sorry... not so much.

If stupid people want to smoke and drink themselves to death - that is too bad —— but if stupid people also want to risk the lives of others by refusing to comply with steps to contain contagion - that is more than too bad.

Again - try looking for relevant comparisons.

• Like 2

Just playing devil's advocate here a bit.

Buy why is it deemed ok to go to work or send kids to schools, witha lot using public transport like the tube in london yet its dangerous to sit in a pub?

Or is it simply we can take risks going to work on public transport but not something sociable?

40 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Just playing devil's advocate here a bit.

Buy why is it deemed ok to go to work or send kids to schools, witha lot using public transport like the tube in london yet its dangerous to sit in a pub?

Or is it simply we can take risks going to work on public transport but not something sociable?

There is a difference between activities which are fairly essential to normal life and recreational activities which can be postponed - or simply modified.

It seems that there are a number of CC’ers who have difficulty recognizing that difference.

• Like 2

We have been on about 20 cruises and four this past year. At this time, I hope to travel sometime after spring 2021 but will let the cruise industry work out the details and sail without us.  We will consider cruising after the industry has at least a year under its belt with the inevitable changes. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

There is a difference between activities which are fairly essential to normal life and recreational activities which can be postponed - or simply modified.

It seems that there are a number of CC’ers who have difficulty recognizing that difference.

So it's ok to put yourself at risk for work but not a beer? The world is either safe or it isnt.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

I am not sure but I dont think covid 19 knows the difference between work and leisure. 

Isn't there a work from home order in the UK? Most countries if it is non essential you either work from home or don't work.

43 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Isn't there a work from home order in the UK? Most countries if it is non essential you either work from home or don't work.

I'm not from the UK, but how do grocery store workers work from home. How do drug store workers work from home. How do school bus drivers delivering meals work from home? And there are a lot more examples.

15 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I'm not from the UK, but how do grocery store workers work from home. How do drug store workers work from home. How do school bus drivers delivering meals work from home? And there are a lot more examples.

Please re read my post, I did at specify non essential workers. From what I have read the poster seems to suggest that the UK is encouraging people to go to work despite the lock down which is different to what other countries are doing which is discouraging people from going to work if they can do so from home or are classed as non essential. That is what sparked my curiosity.