do you realize how complicated it will be for cruising to restart

ontheweb

12 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The "Mighty M" . Somehow I think I've been there...:classic_biggrin:

It may have been the Mighty M in its heyday, but for a long time now it probably should be called the Not So Mighty M.

Once when I was working at one of the concession stands, a lady was bemoaning the fact that she had not bet on the 80-1 longshot who had just won. I said to her that the horse was 80-1, no one basically had bet on that horse. Her reply was, "You don't understand. My husband owns that horse. And the bastard (name of driver which I remember but will not post) didn't even tell him that he was going to win."

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

It may have been the Mighty M in its heyday, but for a long time now it probably should be called the Not So Mighty M.

Once when I was working at one of the concession stands, a lady was bemoaning the fact that she had not bet on the 80-1 longshot who had just won. I said to her that the horse was 80-1, no one basically had bet on that horse. Her reply was, "You don't understand. My husband owns that horse. And the bastard (name of driver which I remember but will not post) didn't even tell him that he was going to win."

When I was working in Manhattan I would sometimes be asked by a co worker to go to OTB to bet on  a specific horse in a specific race in M and I would make a bet for myself as well .

15 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

If you haven't had an antibody test, I am not sure I would assume I have had it and are immune.

Hence the word "probably".  Always good to read a post before commenting, cuts down on the size of a thread.

Hence the word "probably".  Always good to read a post before commenting, cuts down on the size of a thread.

Three people I know were sure the had Covid and did the antibody tests. One who got very sick on a cruise in January. He was so sure. The others had been sick too. None of the three tests were positive for Covid antibodies. I do think it is worth having the test at some point though. Many will have antibodies who didn’t know they had been infected.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

17 hours ago, DarrenM said:

But not to have any social life as that's not essential.

Where on earth do you get that idea? There's tons of socializing that's being done. Again, what are you talking about?

8 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Three people I know were sure the had Covid and did the antibody tests. One who got very sick on a cruise in January. He was so sure. The others had been sick too. None of the three tests were positive for Covid antibodies. I do think it is worth having the test at some point though. Many will have antibodies who didn’t know they had been infected.

I understand that one of the tests has 30% false negatives.

I understand that one of the tests has 30% false negatives.

That’s what my friend said. He is still convinced he had it. Funny, he does not want to get it, won’t leave the house for even a walk but wants to have had it because then he thinks it would be safe to leave the house. That is why some are talking themselves into thinking they had it. They believe it would give them immunity. It might but I would not rely on the tests yet.

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Sorry...but this seems so deeply tongue in cheek. This is definitely not serious about flying/travel issues. At least how I read it.

Not how I read it but I respect your opinion. But I do believe that the airline industry is going to directly affect cruising.

On 5/23/2020 at 9:53 PM, clo said:

We need "data," lots and lots of data. 

The CDC just put out new info on how unreliable the antibody test is.  I want to get one, because I believe my husband and I were right in a hot zone two different times on cruise ships in Nov/Dec and then in early Feb. A test that is 50/50 is about the same as my thinking I have it just on my observations. 

• Like 2

The CDC just put out new info on how unreliable the antibody test is.  I want to get one, because I believe my husband and I were right in a hot zone two different times on cruise ships in Nov/Dec and then in early Feb. A test that is 50/50 is about the same as my thinking I have it just on my observations. 

That is why I am not bothering to run out and get an antibody test now. If I get one I will wait until there are more reliable tests.

• Like 3

HARMONY of the Seas

just pulled into Bridgetown Port, Barbados this morning
to facilitate repatriation of some 4,000 crew members

- sending them back home by air to Europe and the Far East

https://www.nationnews.com/nationnews/news/245786/update-harmony-seas-arrives-crew

Makes you wonder just how long this non-cruising pause will continue, if

in late May, they are sending large amounts of crew back home!

HARMONY at Bridgetown.JPG

18 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

HARMONY of the Seas

https://www.nationnews.com/nationnews/news/245786/update-harmony-seas-arrives-crew

Harmony is scheduled to sail August 2 - still more than two months out.  Perhaps they want to re-staff,  the crew now on board have to be pretty well tired of this game.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Perhaps they want to re-staff,  the crew now on board have to be pretty well tired of this game.

Hmm. Are they going to have a problem hiring enough staff considering how they've been treated?

8 minutes ago, clo said:

Hmm. Are they going to have a problem hiring enough staff considering how they've been treated?

The cruise lines have been able to staff their ships at minimal cost for years due to the lack of employment opportunities in those home countries.  I think that “economic edge” which they have enjoyed still exists - and may, in fact, have been sharpened by recent events.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

That is why I am not bothering to run out and get an antibody test now. If I get one I will wait until there are more reliable tests.

The longer you can wait the more advanced the science will be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aplmac said:

HARMONY of the Seas

I believe that the cruise lines are phasing cruising back in, 5 ships at a time.  That plan makes good sense.  So of course they're sending crew home now, it will be months before they're needed.  Cruise pax in the first six months should be ready for anything, managing it all will be a huge challenge, not to mention implementing plans on each ship.  I am always fascinated with "how things work" and expect our September cruise to be very interesting.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 7:49 AM, ontheweb said:

This is for baseball, but cruises with thousands of people, passengers and crew, would be even more complicated.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29186093/the-immensity-mlb-plan-return-daunting-health-safety-protocol

Try to think of all the protocols that would have to be put in place. It is mind boggling.

A friend of mine who is a musician was hired along with his band to entertain on a cruise ship for June 2020 leaving from Fla.The cruise line cancelled the contract and said they could not re-book at this time because they were not sure if there would be cruises in 2020.