Rumor has it, more cancellations may be announced soon

CineGraphic

I moved myself from a Majestic Princess cruise from Hong Kong to Sydney that hasn't been canceled yet ..... no idea why as Australia / New Zealand only wanted cruises within their boundaries.  

This is one time when I hope folks will prove me wrong on here! Living in Vancouver, I honestly can't see any cruises here this year. Our health minister has already warned that international or non-essential travel will not be possible until a vaccine or immunity is found. She said outright that cruise ships would not be permitted to disembark any passengers for the foreseeable future. Our border closures with the US have just been extended at least another month. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I moved myself from a Majestic Princess cruise from Hong Kong to Sydney that hasn't been canceled yet ..... no idea why as Australia / New Zealand only wanted cruises within their boundaries.  

I'm wondering about our Australia/New Zealand cruises in November/December. It's unclear to me if the cruises will be cancelled or if they will stay in place with only local cruisers actually allowed. I'm guessing we won't be allowed to cruise but Princess may still have the cruises as it's likely that most of the passengers would be "local".

57 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

I also had a California Coastal out of Vancouver in October 2020.  I canceled early April because I knew it would not sail and I didn't want to wait until Princess canceled as I was not confident I would get my refund.  I still haven't received it yet and it is on CC dispute since 5/5.

I'm waiting for Princess to cancel this one, as I'll have a better chance of recouping my prepaid, (non-refundable) stay at the Pan Pacific Hotel. I booked this online through one of those, "we can't tell you the hotel's name" sites, and even with their cancellation insurance, I'm screwed as it doesn't cover pandemics. We put a deposit down yesterday for a November MSC Seaside Yacht club sailing, just in case the California Coastal is a no-go.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

I'm waiting for Princess to cancel this one, as I'll have a better chance of recouping my prepaid, (non-refundable) stay at the Pan Pacific Hotel. I booked this online through one of those, "we can't tell you the hotel's name" sites, and even with their cancellation insurance, I'm screwed as it doesn't cover pandemics. We put a deposit down yesterday for a November MSC Seaside Yacht club sailing, just in case the California Coastal is a no-go.

The Pan Pacific isn't even open right now...all the hotels near the port ceased operations in March for the most part. Today we are meant to be slowly reopening in phase 2 but I'm not sure if that includes hotels. Good luck - hope you get your money back one way or another!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chrysalis said:

not surprising....X is still selling European Cruises for this summer.

My family lives in Norway and they are saying no visitors this summer from out of country until the end of August and that will probably be extended.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

I have successfully cancelled and got my money back twice with a "we can't tell you the hotel's  name" sites. You need to speak to someone directly at the Pan Pacific, explain your situation, who you booked with and that you would like to cancel. They will likely agree to your request and after that you need to phone back the booking site and tell them that the Pan Pacific has agreed to cancel. In which case the booking site will accept the cancellation and give you your money back. As I say, I've done it twice successfully. If you Google, you will find other people done so also. Good luck!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

I'm wondering about our Australia/New Zealand cruises in November/December. It's unclear to me if the cruises will be cancelled or if they will stay in place with only local cruisers actually allowed. I'm guessing we won't be allowed to cruise but Princess may still have the cruises as it's likely that most of the passengers would be "local".

I also am wondering about our Jan. 24, Australia/New Zealand cruise.   I think you may be right that it may be only locals.  What is your plan when final payment comes and Princess has not decided?  

I recently booked an airbnb for the night before the cruise, and they wrote this back to me: ( Hard to know if travel to Australia will be OK, I reckon you might find we still have quarantine on incoming passengers of 14 days, check your cruise etc is fully refundable before you book. The hotel is fully refundable and we are happy to hold your booking).

Before I read that, I was not as worried about Jan. 24 as I had been about our Sept. 25 British Isles and indeed the British Isles was cancelled.  Rebooked for next May.  This is all just so unpredictable and that is hard for my "over planner" personality.😜

• Like 2

This is one time when I hope folks will prove me wrong on here! Living in Vancouver, I honestly can't see any cruises here this year. Our health minister has already warned that international or non-essential travel will not be possible until a vaccine or immunity is found. She said outright that cruise ships would not be permitted to disembark any passengers for the foreseeable future. Our border closures with the US have just been extended at least another month. 

We were booked on a HAL coastal leaving Vancouver on September 26. The cruise hasn’t been cancelled yet, but we cancelled last week because I just don’t see it happening, or happening in a form that we would want to be a part of. We’re (hopefully) going to Maine and New Hampshire in October instead...coast and mountains, staying at B&Bs and small inns, with lots of time out in nature. It will require plane travel, but we can’t hide forever! I really hope it happens, because it will end up being our only vacation this year.

Our next cruise is tentatively March 27 on NCL in Hawaii. That one was scheduled for April and got cancelled. I rescheduled for the end of October, but we decided to move that one out to March in the hopes of travel being less restricted. We’re also planning to go to Norway in August of 2021. Time will tell!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ROWSE said:

I also am wondering about our Jan. 24, Australia/New Zealand cruise.   I think you may be right that it may be only locals.  What is your plan when final payment comes and Princess has not decided?  

I recently booked an airbnb for the night before the cruise, and they wrote this back to me: ( Hard to know if travel to Australia will be OK, I reckon you might find we still have quarantine on incoming passengers of 14 days, check your cruise etc is fully refundable before you book. The hotel is fully refundable and we are happy to hold your booking).

Before I read that, I was not as worried about Jan. 24 as I had been about our Sept. 25 British Isles and indeed the British Isles was cancelled.  Rebooked for next May.  This is all just so unpredictable and that is hard for my "over planner" personality.😜

I'll be checking sites about Australia's and New Zealand's policies regarding foreign visitors. I have no desire to fly to Australia and then be quarantined for 14 days while the ship sails. My "feeling" is that they still won't want foreign visitors so, even if Princess doesn't cancel the cruise, it's likely we will end up cancelling. I'm mostly waiting because my wife wants to wait. Otherwise I'd likely just cancel now. I hate to miss this trip - 33 days in a Caribe balcony with included gratuities, WiFi, Beverage Package, and just over $1700 AUD OBC. I'll likely never see another deal like this.

As for your British Isles cruise that you rebooked for next May... We are booked next May for a 7 day Western Caribbean which is immediately followed by an 18 day Fire and Ice TA that goes to Iceland, Scotland, and Ireland and then ends up in Southampton. My wife seems to feel these cruises will definitely happen but, again, I am pretty skeptical. Who is to say that those countries are going to be willing to have foreign visitors.

2 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Our health minister has already warned that international or non-essential travel will not be possible until a vaccine or immunity is found.

This is "head-in-the-sand" nuts (or hiding in a cave nuts).  There is no guarantee that an effective vaccine will be developed - one never was found for SARS - although they seem to be trying very hard.  Even flu vaccines can be as low as 50% effective in a given season.  We will never get to "herd immunity" with everything locked down and fear of social interaction.  (Not advocating that nothing should have been done to mitigate, but as cases and deaths decline, time to open up things in a gradual manner).

You mentioned Canada-US border closure.  That has to get opened up before too long, although I am thinking Canada might try and keep it closed right through to Labor Day weekend.  Yikes!!! 

IMO, international travel needs to open up as various countries come down off the peak and the curves drop.  People are intelligent enough to make their own informed decisions about risk to travel once things are opened up and understand the situation in destination of desire.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 8

I don't foresee cruising and ports to reopen until PAX can embark with vaccination certificates.  In the absence of a vaccine, I wonder if there could be anything like an immunity certificate for those testing positive for antibodies.  Something needs to break, the world can't stay on lockdown forever.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

This is "head-in-the-sand" nuts (or hiding in a cave nuts).  There is no guarantee that an effective vaccine will be developed - one never was found for SARS - although they seem to be trying very hard.  Even flu vaccines can be as low as 50% effective in a given season.  We will never get to "herd immunity" with everything locked down and fear of social interaction.  (Not advocating that nothing should have been done to mitigate, but as cases and deaths decline, time to open up things in a gradual manner).

You mentioned Canada-US border closure.  That has to get opened up before too long, although I am thinking Canada might try and keep it closed right through to Labor Day weekend.  Yikes!!! 

IMO, international travel needs to open up as various countries come down off the peak and the curves drop.  People are intelligent enough to make their own informed decisions about risk to travel once things are opened up and understand the situation in destination of desire.

I agree with you! It terrifies me that there is so much pinned on finding a vaccine when there is no guarantee that this will happen, or if it would be effective. I would take my chance and cruise tomorrow if I could - of course, the problem that arises is the chance of quarantine. Even if/when travel opens up, BC is saying that anyone coming in must quarantine for 14 days. Who has enough vacation time to do that? LOL.

My next booked cruise is to Hawaii in March 2021. It seems so far off, but I'm even concerned that this won't even happen now!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I agree with you! It terrifies me that there is so much pinned on finding a vaccine when there is no guarantee that this will happen, or if it would be effective. I would take my chance and cruise tomorrow if I could - of course, the problem that arises is the chance of quarantine. Even if/when travel opens up, BC is saying that anyone coming in must quarantine for 14 days. Who has enough vacation time to do that? LOL.

My next booked cruise is to Hawaii in March 2021. It seems so far off, but I'm even concerned that this won't even happen now!

Yes, it is a federal mandate thus far for the 14-day isolation/quarantine (Australia & NZ have had the same).  That needs to end for Canada-USA in order to support day trips, but I would live with border opening and voluntary self-isolation when get back home after a vacation (would never go across for they day and then have to isolate).  For sure, we need to be able to let the snowbirds head south in late fall to end of year.  I think things WILL be clear by then for travel to Florida, even if we are not ready for the high seas.

39 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, it is a federal mandate thus far for the 14-day isolation/quarantine (Australia & NZ have had the same).  That needs to end for Canada-USA in order to support day trips, but I would live with border opening and voluntary self-isolation when get back home after a vacation (would never go across for they day and then have to isolate).  For sure, we need to be able to let the snowbirds head south in late fall to end of year.  I think things WILL be clear by then for travel to Florida, even if we are not ready for the high seas.

There could be a problem with driving to Florida in the Fall.  How many states might require a quarantine just to drive through the state?  Many jurisdictions are abusing the 14 day quarantine concept as a method of just keeping travelers out.  Who knows what the Fall might bring?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Supposedly RCI is making a big announcement of more postponed cruises later this week.  I've been hearing it from a lot of different angles - BDMs, reps, workers at headquarters, etc.  They still have the sail date of June 12th as a starting point. I think a lot of these companies like to drop the bomb right before a big holiday weekend so people don't dwell on bad news.

12 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

There could be a problem with driving to Florida in the Fall.  How many states might require a quarantine just to drive through the state?  Many jurisdictions are abusing the 14 day quarantine concept as a method of just keeping travelers out.  Who knows what the Fall might bring?

Just the start of the flu season and nobody heading to their doctor or pharmacy here to even get their flu vaccine.  Our health dept is doubling down on our shelter in place orders.  😞

BTW, my cousin and his daughter just drove across country (for a move) and were really only surprised when they hit California seeing EVERYTHING that is still shutdown.