Rumor has it, more cancellations may be announced soon

CineGraphic

43 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Yes, once your epidemic is under control. That's under 1% growth in cases and a lot more testing.

No, the border with WA remains closed because weird people from other states can enter BC through WA. I hope that ON and QC will keep their borders closed. No rational reason why covid will suddenly go away when it is doing so well in the states.

Should the snowbirds migrate this fall? Will they have insurance valid for covid??

My response is anecdotal, not based on any personal knowledge or research.

Having said that, we have friends in Ontario that own a condo in Ft. Lauderdale.  They told us that if they left the country their health insurance coverage would not extend to their time in Florida during the Covid-19 pandemic. This was several weeks ago, so I'm not sure what their current status is.

Edited by msmoger

16 hours ago, gardenbunny said:

From articles I have read by CEOs of Carnival and RCI, expect cruise lines to reduce their fleet much like airlines are doing.  And use their smaller ships (no way to keep people safe on a 9,000 passenger and crew size ship). 

Royal Caribbean Corp. says they can break even on their newer (and thus larger) ships with 30% occupancy and on their older ships at 50% occupancy.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Supposedly RCI is making a big announcement of more postponed cruises later this week.  I've been hearing it from a lot of different angles - BDMs, reps, workers at headquarters, etc.  They still have the sail date of June 12th as a starting point. I think a lot of these companies like to drop the bomb right before a big holiday weekend so people don't dwell on bad news.

This afternoon they will announce a pause until July 31. China may have a different pause.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, msmoger said:

Having said that, we have friends in Ontario that own a condo in Ft. Lauderdale.  They told us that if they left the country their health insurance coverage would not extend to their time in Florida during the Covid-19 pandemic. This was several weeks ago, so I'm not sure what their current status is.

Everything depends on the status of your destination.

While the WHO has a pandemic alert in place, the Canada government has a travel advisory to avoid all non-essential travel. No covid insurance anywhere, even to the places where there are few current infections.  

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/travel-health-notices

Once the pandemic alert is rescinded, and the destination allows non-essential travel from your country, what is the government advisory? Insurance may be possible if the status is just Level 1 'practise special precautions'. Maybe not.

I'm not making any plans until the pandemic alert is rescinded. I'm not travelling to the states while the disease is circulating in some states. Simple as that. I'm not willing to take the risk of bringing the disease back home.

On 5/19/2020 at 12:53 PM, ceilidh1 said:

. . . Our border closures with the US have just been extended at least another month. 

Closed to all US traffic, including semis transporting goods?  I live in the Detroit area and had not heard about total closure.  Many Windsor residents commute to Detroit to work, including medical personnel like nurses. That would certainly be a blow to area hospitals.

4 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

Closed to all US traffic, including semis transporting goods?  I live in the Detroit area and had not heard about total closure.  Many Windsor residents commute to Detroit to work, including medical personnel like nurses. That would certainly be a blow to area hospitals.

No changes to the existing lockdown, just an extension of the existing conditions through to June 21. Commercial cross-border hauling, essential travel, etc are still OK as they were before the extension. Just no day-tripping, shopping trips, vacation travel etc.

Some vapid alarmist starts a rumor without providing ANY sourcing despite multiple attempts to obtain whatever authentication he/she may have then said individual disappears into the ether. Then based on the flimsiest of speculation, over 60 handwringing responses follow.   

🙄

Edited by Bgwest
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Some knucklehead starts a rumor without providing ANY sourcing despite multiple attempts to obtain whatever authentication he/she may have then said individual disappears into the ether. Then based on the flimsiest of speculation, over 60 handwringing responses follow.   

🙄

What do you think the news media does?  They state matters as facts based on 'confidential' sources.  They never release who the source of the information is, but it is your responsibility to just believe the company whose major focus is on selling advertising.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

What do you think the news media does?  They state matters as facts based on 'confidential' sources.  They never release who the source of the information is, but it is your responsibility to just believe the company whose major focus is on selling advertising.

Well said and precisely the reason I steadfastly avoid devoting a single minute of my day to the lunacy conjured up by the lamestream media. 

Edited by Bgwest
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

Some vapid alarmist starts a rumor without providing ANY sourcing despite multiple attempts to obtain whatever authentication he/she may have then said individual disappears into the ether. Then based on the flimsiest of speculation, over 60 handwringing responses follow.   

🙄

For heavens sake. 🙄

This is Cruise CRITIC! 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 12:00 PM, CineGraphic said:

Some folks in the industry feel that another announcement will be made soon with even more cancellations.

Why do people post junk like this with no info as to wehre or who they got the info from.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, weedpindle said:

Why do people post junk like this with no info as to wehre or who they got the info from.

Because I want to protect my source.

I'm sorry if that's somehow a problem for you.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

Well said and precisely the reason I steadfastly avoid devoting a single minute of my day to the lunacy conjured up by the lamestream media. 

I try to follow media that has different viewpoints and then make up my mind based on who I want to believe.

• Like 1

It is logical for cruise lines to be cancelling cruises in blocks of dates based on the information governments are publishing.  The cruise lines must also have a reasonable idea of how rapidly they could get the staff/crew back and up and ready to restart sailings should this be required.  They have also got to try and get passengers with cancelled cruises to rebook instead of refunding them for cashflow reasons.  These cruises might in turn be cancelled and another cycle be required. nobody actually knows how, when and to what extent normality will be restored.

Regards John

8 hours ago, caribill said:

This afternoon they will announce a pause until July 31. China may have a different pause.

And both (RCI) and NCL did announce cancellations through July 31 (though RCI has China exception through end of June):

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22978-royal-caribbean-cancels-cruises-through-july-targeting-august-1-return.html

and NCL also through July 31:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22974-norwegian-cancels-all-july-sailings.html