Rumor has it, more cancellations may be announced soon

CineGraphic

34 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

And both (RCI) and NCL did announce cancellations through July 31 (though RCI has China exception through end of June):

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22978-royal-caribbean-cancels-cruises-through-july-targeting-august-1-return.html

and NCL also through July 31:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22974-norwegian-cancels-all-july-sailings.html

Forgot to add Celebrity also cancelled through July 31:

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 

Given ongoing global public health circumstances, Celebrity Cruises has decided to extend the suspension of most sailings through July 31, 2020. We are working with our guests and travel partners to address this disruption to their vacations, and we are genuinely sorry for their inconvenience. We expect to return to service on August 1. 

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

Where it’s perfectly OK in your eyes to make up - stuff?

🤯

No, I leave it up to Fantasy News Network and The Boss. 

On Cruise CRITIC, I expect a lot of opinions. 

Addition: Ohhh, you owe the other members an apology for the insult. Please do come back when you have something of substance to contribute. Thanks.

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

No, I leave it up to Fantasy News Network and The Boss. 

On Cruise CRITIC, I expect a lot of opinions. 

Addition: Ohhh, you owe the other members an apology for the insult. Please do come back when you have something of substance to contribute. Thanks.

I’m really sorry about your forlorn childhood and its contribution to all those later years. 
Bet you’re fun at a party. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, lx200gps said:

No changes to the existing lockdown, just an extension of the existing conditions through to June 21. Commercial cross-border hauling, essential travel, etc are still OK as they were before the extension. Just no day-tripping, shopping trips, vacation travel etc.

Thanks for your reply.  So I assume medical personnel who travel from the Windsor area across the river to work at Detroit-area hospitals fall into the category of "essential".

On 5/20/2020 at 1:05 PM, lx200gps said:

No changes to the existing lockdown, just an extension of the existing conditions through to June 21. Commercial cross-border hauling, essential travel, etc are still OK as they were before the extension. Just no day-tripping, shopping trips, vacation travel etc.

Thanks for clarifying.

On 5/19/2020 at 12:00 PM, CineGraphic said:

Some folks in the industry feel that another announcement will be made soon with even more cancellations.

'Soon'?   Seems like a pretty pointless, content-free rumor.

2 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Thanks for that but it still leaves plenty of Nov. & Dec. cruises that could sail.  Not holding my breath but still hopeful.

If any Fall 2020 cruises operate expect them to be from ports where a majority of passengers can drive to (like Florida/California) and be no more than 7-10 day cruises at first, with additional cruises coming online a few months later.  It will not be every ship all at once - maybe 3 or 4 total to start and increasing gradually over time, taking 10-12 months to be back in full force (provided they don;t accelerate ship retirements).  I think it will be more itinerary specific than ship specific and we will not see ship swaps from published itineraries, so you may see a ship like Caribbean Princess re-enter service before a newer ship like Sky or Crown since she is scheduled for 7 night Caribbean sailings for example.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Thanks for that but it still leaves plenty of Nov. & Dec. cruises that could sail.  Not holding my breath but still hopeful.

I keep waiting for them to cancel our November/December cruises. It seems certain that they will do so but they keep putting it off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I keep waiting for them to cancel our November/December cruises. It seems certain that they will do so but they keep putting it off.

They will before final payment. Their hands are full now. Can you imagine having to wait 5 months for a refund. I think they want to get caught up first.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

They will before final payment. Their hands are full now. Can you imagine having to wait 5 months for a refund. I think they want to get caught up first.

I don't even remember when final payment is going to be due these days. I believe it has been extended but can't remember by how much. The "original" final payment dates for the cruise are:

6 Day Southern Australia: August 12, 2020

13 Day Australia - New Zealand: August 18, 2020

14 Day Queensland: August 31, 2020

Even using those original final booking dates there's still quite a while to wait. I will just be patient. If Princess decides to keep the cruises but only "local" folks can actually sail I'll have to cancel myself. Time will tell. (At this point I'm just hoping some camping areas will open up. 😁)

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

I don't even remember when final payment is going to be due these days. I believe it has been extended but can't remember by how much. The "original" final payment dates for the cruise are:

Even using those original final booking dates there's still quite a while to wait. I will just be patient. If Princess decides to keep the cruises but only "local" folks can actually sail I'll have to cancel myself. Time will tell. (At this point I'm just hoping some camping areas will open up. 😁)

But, if the cruises are restricted to a particular demographic which doesn't include you, wouldn't Princess notify you that you won't be permitted to sail? 

13 hours ago, Thrak said:

We have a Panama at end Oct.  It's a bit like playing a game of chicken similar to when we were kids.

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

But, if the cruises are restricted to a particular demographic which doesn't include you, wouldn't Princess notify you that you won't be permitted to sail? 

One would hope so but who can be certain? It wouldn't be Princess who was limiting access but rather Australia and New Zealand.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Thrak said:

One would hope so but who can be certain? It wouldn't be Princess who was limiting access but rather Australia and New Zealand.

I couldn't imagine having thousands of people flying into Australia only to be denied boarding on cruise ships.  I think that would open Princess to lawsuits if Princess knew in advance that they couldn't let you onboard and didn't notify you. With that said, who knows what crazy things can happen.  So many crazy things happening now...

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

28 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I worry about this for our Jan. 24, 2021, Majestic Australia/New Zealand.  If we make final payment and then they decide to just allow locals, will we get caught with any penalty after that final payment if they disallow U.S. travelers?  Doesn't seem fair, but I haven't seen fair happening much at all lately.  

Edited by ROWSE

39 minutes ago, Thrak said:

maybe you could go with a 14 day pre-cruise cornteen ?

3 hours ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

We have a Panama at end Oct.  It's a bit like playing a game of chicken similar to when we were kids.

We won our game of chicken with Princess on our July Norwegian fjords cruise. We cancelled with only a small refundable deposit about a month before they cancelled and we would have been waiting for the entire fare including the flights on EZ Air.

We saw the writing on the wall that they could not possibly do the cruise.

47 minutes ago, voljeep said:

maybe you could go with a 14 day pre-cruise cornteen ?

Hardly likely. I'd have to fly to Australia (not likely to be allowed) then find a hotel that would allow me to book a room where I would have to stay for 14 days - also not likely and not at all an attractive proposition. Also definitely not within my budget.

15 hours ago, Thrak said:

Can't believe international travel w/o quarantine will be allowed, even so the memory of the Grand, Diamond and Zaandaam will be fresh in every countries decision makers mind.  You really want to see a thousand people mingle for days in close quarters.

If they allow spectator sports like soccer etc. to begin then cruising should be able to go.    

We will see how the US looks in another 8 weeks, Memorial day cabin fever party, then 2-4 weeks of spreading / incubation and an bit new peak, if it ain't too bad by fall we'll be back to talking about the tragedy and over-reaction.

Cuomo really enjoyed his face time and national daily spotlight but his biggest worry never came to realization, so we did flatten the curve, now let's get back to business.

• Like 1