Ama Problem

gmaonboard4

We are booked on the AmaLucia next March/April for the Tulip Time cruise.  I found out yesterday, quite by accident, that they are not sure the ship will be completed by sail time.  They have not offered any solution.  My problem is we are on a very strict schedule (one passenger is a teacher) and we don't have any wiggle room.

I was told to wait and see, but if we do that, what happens if other cruise is sold out ?  There is one other that we could possibly take, but it is on an old ship with no elevator going to piano deck. I am handicapped and can't easily do those crazy curved stairs.  Sorry AMA, cannot afford your "upstairs" pricing right now !  Does anyone out there have any ideas ?  Will need to cancel air, hotel and tours if this cruise does not happen.

This link is to another River cruise thread.   I haven’t heard of them, but it says Scylla supplies boats to Tauck, etc. 

A piece about Scylla boat operator above, indicates Customers on their ships will not be allowed use of elevators and public restrooms, among other things. 

Perhaps a call to AMA or your travel agent - if you have to switch ships, or even if current plans for new ship hold - will you be able to use the elevator?   If not, perhaps they will Relocate your cabin to main level, at no charge?   It may be an option, as you booked in full faith including access to an elevator.   

Edited by BSocial
Changed link

I agree with BSocial that for your special case a call or e-mail to AmaWaterways is a good idea. They will hopefully be able to tell you more about the situation with the AmaLucia and the measures they will have in place that could stop you from being able to have a river cruise in Spring.

AmaWaterways' ships are not in the Scylla fleet of course, but many of Scylla's measures I expect will be put in place across the whole river cruising industry. The link BSocial has given you is a good indicator of what will be.

notamermaid

27 minutes ago, BSocial said:

This link is to another River cruise thread.   I haven’t heard of them, but it says Scylla supplies boats to Tauck, etc. 

A piece about Scylla boat operator above, indicates Customers on their ships will not be allowed use of elevators and public restrooms, among other things. 

Perhaps a call to AMA or your travel agent - if you have to switch ships, or even if current plans for new ship hold - will you be able to use the elevator?   If not, perhaps they will Relocate your cabin to main level, at no charge?   It may be an option, as you booked in full faith including access to an elevator.   

OP,

here is the 2nd link which mentions Scylla measures, AMA and the other River cruise operators may or may not incorporate them. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5336/

Edited by BSocial

Thanks for the replies.  So far, I have not been able to get answers from AMA or travel agent. I will keep trying of course, but no one seems to have a solution.  Older Ama ships have those strange curving stairs from bottom deck with very narrow steps.   You almost have to scoot on your bottom if you have any handicap involving your legs !!!   I will keep trying to get some answers.

2 minutes ago, gmaonboard4 said:

Thanks for the replies.  So far, I have not been able to get answers from AMA or travel agent. I will keep trying of course, but no one seems to have a solution.  Older Ama ships have those strange curving stairs from bottom deck with very narrow steps.   You almost have to scoot on your bottom if you have any handicap involving your legs !!!   I will keep trying to get some answers.

understood.  Perhaps if you proactively ask them if they could authorize a complimentary relocation of Your stateroom as a precaution?  Especially since you appear to be a group, power in numbers.   

• 2 weeks later...

All the ships have the stairs, but newer ones like the AmaLea, AmaMora and such also have the elevator that goes all the way down to bottom floor.  I always look in the brochure at the diagrams of the ships and it shows which ones have the elevators that go to all three decks.

You will also want to take into consideration that ships often practice rafting, whereby river cruise ships are docked side by side and the passengers need to walk through other ships to reach the shore, or when returning to their ship.  Also, the gangway to the shore can be steep at times. This can sometimes create challenges for those with mobility issues. 

terry&mike;  thank you for your feedback.  Forgot about having to walk thru the other ships in port

Walking through other ships isn’t too bad; you go lobby to lobby. However, if the lobby levels don’t line up well, you go up to the sun deck and have a gangway that’s likely slopes to cross to the next sun deck, then climb back down and exit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can navigate straight stairs with hand rails, but the "corkscrew" stairs on some Ama ships are a nightmare.  Actually took pictures and measured them.  Inside step can be only 4 inches towards the bottom.  I have been on 6 river cruises and have managed the rafting.  Elevators that go to all the decks are a godsend for a lot of us.  With all that said, Ama has been in contact with me, and I have a lovely woman managing my booking.  Also booked on another Ama cruise for southern France for late fall. So 2021 will be a busy year with two more Ama's  !!!   Just keeping my fingers crossed that the Lucia gets finished.  Already had to go through all the cancellations for a month long trip that was scheduled for this May, and don't want to do that again.  Thanks to all for the advice.