Cruising will start again for RCL , what month and year?

Cruising will start again for RCL , what month and year?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Cruising will start again for RCL , what month and year?

• August 2020
    • September 2020
    • October 2020
    • November 2020
    • December 2020
    • January 2021
    • February 2021
    • March 2021
    • April 2021
    • May 2021
    • June 2021
    • Later

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/21/2021 at 06:02 PM

Jim, I voted September. I quoted Sept a few weeks ago on another thread. RCL will watch CCL try first in August, and then try themselves. The cruise lines just have to try to do something to generate revenue at some point, they have to. Else why not just go bankrupt today?

I feel one of the very biggest issues is getting staff back from around the world... that's going to be a feat, unless RCL can just round up staff from 10-15 ships all hanging around CocoCay and put them all into 3 ships for example, and then try a few sailings on those 3 specific ships. 

The other issue I personally see that a majority of the health experts are talking about is a new fall flu season, which exacerbates weak immunity in people thus a new strong 2nd wave of C19, especially with current "going back to normal". 

27 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

A year from now and Covid 19 will just be racked up as another Noro or Flu outbreak.  

So you’re saying every time a cruise gets an outbreak and 20 people die (1/126 for the Ruby Princess passengers) cruising will go on just as normal.  When there is a noro outbreak it doesn’t kill nearly 1 percent of the passengers on a cruise ship.

You’re basically saying that the cruiselines and government are totally ok with nearly 1 percent of people dying if a cruise ship gets a Covid outbreak which is even more likely with how widespread Covid is now compared to late Feb/Early March.  

Governments are just not gonna accept death rates of that magnitude for a leisure vacation.

2 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

I voted for November, but I’m not sure why......

I voted November as well.  With the election November 3rd, there's no way they want cruising to start before the election and then have to stop for some outbreaks.  So, my guess is that they'll announce that cruising can start again in November (mostly short trips out of swing state Florida) to try to get more Florida votes.

1 hour ago, ATC cruiser said:

that’s all well and good, but if they open up cruising like that and get 1 case of covid, it’s all but over for them. Just about everyplace that has opened up has seen spikes in their numbers. This may be because of increased testing, but if you get a spike like that on a cruise ship, you might as well put a spike thru the hull of the ship and sink it. 

Agree with all of this.  

We were supposed to sail in April, but of course that was canceled.  This was on MSC Seaside in their Yacht Club.  We took the 125% FCC (still haven't received 🙄), and re-booked for 10/31/20.  Crossing our fingers, but wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen again.

32 minutes ago, Keasel said:

I voted November as well.  With the election November 3rd, there's no way they want cruising to start before the election and then have to stop for some outbreaks.  So, my guess is that they'll announce that cruising can start again in November (mostly short trips out of swing state Florida) to try to get more Florida votes.

I hope you're wrong.  If our next cruise happens, we'll be sailing on election day.  

3 hours ago, voyager70 said:

I really hope people aren't jumping the gun trying to get back to normal.  

what does matter. if businesses and everything doesnt reopen within 2 months, there wont be anything left of our economy

Edited by jndsilver31
  • Like 1

I think it will later this year at 50% capacity like they said on yesterdays earnings call.  The reason i believe that is because i work for a large company and we are pretty much doing the same thing. Bringing back people slowly over the next 8 months based on certain criteria until we hit that 50% mark then holding until there is a vaccine or a proven treatment.

I didn't vote until now but I picked April 2021............they gives it about 12 solid months of no cruising. I figured the fall is not a good start date because of the second wave of the Covid-19 like they have been saying, after it settles down by hopefully the beginnning of the New Year. Then the plans of staffing the cruiseships will get underway with that taking 60- 90 days to complete that. Plus all the changes that need to take place on the ships for that to get completed.

So I'm thinking just after spring break will be the start up, end of march, beginning of April..........Gives the cruiselines a full 12 months to get things figured out.

Plus you don't want to start up to soon and have an issue, if that would happen it would be doomsday for whichever cruiseline that happens too, Royal caribbean is to good of company to have that happen, best to wait longer then start to soon. Others will fail before Royal gives it a go.

Hang in there everyone.

Only 10 months to go, won't be long that will fly by.

Edited by Jimbo

On 5/20/2020 at 3:34 PM, Fredric22 said:

Disney does NOT make you sign any kind of a waver.  There is a notice at the entrance of Disney Springs, but there is no requirement to sign anything. 

People seem to forget that just 60 days ago, our lockdowns were JUST beginning. Look how much has changed in just 60 days!  Things may feel like they are crawling, but when you look back we are actually moving quite fast.  Lots will change between now and August. 

I heard today a list of colleges opening this fall. When they go home for thanksgiving they wouldn't return but have a reading period. I guess the universities dont want to screen again.

Rice university in texas was on the list. I forget the rest. Colleges are worried some just might forgo that expensive degree and find some blue collar trades pay even better and in higher demand. 

They said colleges also dont want to reimburse kids for not staying in dorms and not getting live classes. 

On 5/21/2020 at 7:34 AM, Jimbo said:

USA Ports

Didn't see this until after I made my selection,  Since you didn't say from US ports, I chose Aug 20.  I think they'll be sailing from somewhere in Asia, or maybe Europe, by then.  We'll see.  

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like after today's notice from the CDC and CLIA we have a lot of CC members who guessed wrong on August and September.

Would anyone like to guess again when cruises might start up. I'm still sticking with April 2021

If you would like to take another crack at it, please just post the month and year.

Edited by Jimbo

For cruises to restart something at the fundamental level is going to have to change with Covid.  

Those things are likely either:

1.) Herd Immunity (Via vaccine production naturally)

2.) Magic bullet treatments

3.) It somehow mutates and becomes less virulent with death rates and hospitalization rates more on par with flu.

I have been staying since the beginning of this that just because cruise lines want to restart and cruisers want to cruise is not  enough for to cruises to just magically restart.   Cruising is at the complete mercy of the virus and where we are in SCIENCE with mitigating viral risk.  Just saying it is “over” and we are “done” with Covid is not going to get cruises going.  At some point science prevails despite everything going on in the world at this time.

So I am guessing May 2021.  Is it pessimistic, yes.  But ultimately if a vaccine comes about by Jan that gives the world 4-5 months to get those who want the vaccine a vaccine which would hopefully be enough for some degree of herd immunity.  It also starts in time to give cruiselines the lucrative summer season.  While it will just be 3-4 day cruises at the beginning, it will be past flu season to help reduce the likely panic between someone having flu and someone having Covid.  Could be earlier, could be later, but ultimately something fundamentally is going to have to change, and that something is not just our “attitude” and increased risk tolerance toward Covid.

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Looks like after today's notice from the CDC and CLIA we have a lot of CC members who guessed wrong on August and September.

Would anyone like to guess again when cruises might start up. I'm still sticking with April 2021

If you would like to take another crack at it, please just post the month and year.

I agree But only if the vaccine is available Jan 2021.