AUGUST 1st target to resume operations

25 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

What areas are best. Looking for a house in the $250,000 to $350,000 range. 1 to 2 acres......not super remote either. 

Don't want to go to far south either because of hot and humid weather.

I talked her out of South Carolina.. 🙂

I'd buy a house on the ocean or walking distance. Florida and texas dont have state income taxes, but too hot agree with your wife. But I'd be looking outer islands. North carolina? 

If not for my elderly parents I'd still be living where I can walk on the beach every day. I moved here from florida to stop my dad driving with macular degeneration. Beach for sure for me. Acerage is nice but lots of upkeep. I want to at least see a blue ocean. .

Have you considered one of the smaller keys? Not key west, maybe  marathon? Why pay state taxes if you dont have to. 

59 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Any idea what the rest of Virginia is like now,  thinking of heading toward Bristol , Abingdon, Virginia area, house hunting. Wife wants to relocate to that area from NJ.

Any idea what I-81 is like as far as rest stops being open and such for restroom stops. I think she is looking at a AirBnB for the stay.

I live in this area but on the TN side. There is next to no Coronavirus concerns here. Pretty much everything open. A few masks here and there but most people are not concerned. 250-350 will buy a very nice place in this area

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Any idea what the rest of Virginia is like now,  thinking of heading toward Bristol , Abingdon, Virginia area, house hunting. Wife wants to relocate to that area from NJ.

Any idea what I-81 is like as far as rest stops being open and such for restroom stops. I think she is looking at a AirBnB for the stay.

Hey there!!

I’m in Blacksburg, VA and things are looking pretty good. The governor is still requiring face masks and the restaurants are at 50% capacity as of now. Abingdon is a beautiful area!!

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I'd buy a house on the ocean or walking distance. Florida and texas dont have state income taxes, but too hot agree with your wife. But I'd be looking outer islands. North carolina? 

If not for my elderly parents I'd still be living where I can walk on the beach every day. I moved here from florida to stop my dad driving with macular degeneration. Beach for sure for me. Acerage is nice but lots of upkeep. I want to at least see a blue ocean. .

Have you considered one of the smaller keys? Not key west, maybe  marathon? Why pay state taxes if you dont have to. 

I'm not sure how many houses on the ocean you can get for 250-300K.  Definitely not in the Keys, I can tell you that for sure.

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Over the last few months, I think I95 has had the least traffic I'd ever seen.  I 81 would probably have even less traffic.

Recently, traffic has picked up. 

All restaurants are open for takeout, or outdoor dining until this Saturday.

I think AirBnBs will welcome any business as things had been slow over the last few months.

If you're hungry, remember to get your meals before 9PM.  Most places shut down by 9 except maybe McDonalds or 7/11.

Edited by BillHoo

I havent priced all the keys, thought might still be some bargains in upper keys. 

When I said anything on the beach here for that price has drawbacks.. here is a 616 sf beach house in surfside beach, tx for 259k contract pending ... look at all the cars parked on the beach in this shot and you will see why I'm hesitant about a weekend house I leave empty part time because I have to help my parents here. I was looking for a place close enough to easily drive back and forth. Surfside is just west of Galveston beach, where the beach dead ends. Every house I've seen in surfside, even larger more expensive houses, all pictures of the ocean all show solid cars etc between you and the beach. This was just a cheapie, but they all seem to have this line ... I'm thinking homeless people.?

Easy to get acerage in texas but too hot. I agree. 

20200611_171852639.jpeg

Edited by firefly333

6 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

When we lived in NJ, Morris County, our taxes on our townhouse were close to $8k/yr.  Our friends in Essex county paid considerably more.  Not sure why we are discussing this here!  Too much time on our hands.

Cause earlier today alot of August cruises got canceled , so pretty much this thread is toast otherwise.

15 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Cause earlier today alot of August cruises got canceled , so pretty much this thread is toast otherwise.

which cruises have been canceled? Everything is still available on RCCL's website.

OK folks please respect one-mans opine.

Royal will not start cruising in August and will not have a full ship schedule next year. The “new” Normal will be a day at Sea and a day on Coco Cay then a day at sea.

Too many variables, countries rules, CDC guidelines or lack thereof, legal considerations, crew re-manning logistics and FEAR.

I have had three cruises already cancelled this year and I’m starting to lose hope on the seven I have booked in 2021. 

I hope I’m wrong but daily events after day after are disheartening. We are watching the industry die a deaths of a thousand cuts.

Phil

Edited by Slidell_Cruiser
Misspelling
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Slidell_Cruiser said:

OK folks please respect one-mans opine.

Royal will not start cruising in August and will not have a full ship schedule next year. The “new” Normal will be a day at Sea and a day on Coco Cay then a day at sea.

Too many variables, countries rules, CDC guidelines or lack thereof, legal considerations, crew re-manning logistics and FEAR.

I have had three cruises already cancelled this year and I’m starting to lose hope on the seven I have booked in 2021. 

I hope I’m wrong but daily events after day after are disheartening. We are watching the industry die a deaths of a thousand cuts.

Phil

I respect your opinion, allow me to present a different point of view.  As of 15 July all EU borders will be open. Italy and Greece have both announced that they are open to tourists from any EU country with no restrictions including arrivals by sea.  We are hopeful that RCL will have a Med cruise season.

19 minutes ago, crazyank said:

I respect your opinion, allow me to present a different point of view.  As of 15 July all EU borders will be open. Italy and Greece have both announced that they are open to tourists from any EU country with no restrictions including arrivals by sea.  We are hopeful that RCL will have a Med cruise season.

Yes, but UK still imposing 14 day quarantine. 

• Thanks 1

Guest BigRoger

The UK quarantine period will be 'massaged away' quickly as its clear the UK government have no clue how to make it work and the scientists are saying there's no point now anyway. There was a point at which it would have been valuable but its past.

Also in UK they can't even make the 'test, track and trace' process work at all.... not only are they not able to trace people who have come into contact with a positive tested individual, they can't even make contact a big proportion of those who have actually tested positive even though they know who they are and where they live! 

That's before the airlines sue the government, which is starting now....   

5 hours ago, crazyank said:

Given multiple European Cruiselines have aleady cancelled through October/November I do not see RC back in the Med this year.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 3:54 PM, toad455 said:

If RCCL does sail on Aug. 1, it would likely only be the following ships sailing the Caribbean:

- Navigator(via Miami)

- Independence(via Fort Lauderdale)

- Mariner(via Port Canaveral)

- Enchantment(via Galveston)

- Harmony(via Port Canaveral)

- Liberty(via Galveston)

- Freedom(via San Juan)?

- Majesty(via New Orleans)

- Symphony(via Miami)

I doubt the Grandeur sails out of Baltimore and none of the three ships scheduled to sail out of Bayonne will be sailing this year. The Freedom out of San Juan is also questionable. So RCCL might be in a similar situation as Carnival in only having 8 ships sailing if they do start on Aug. 1.

I doubt there will be any sailings out of the US before October or even November per current situation and if yes, it will be likely only  some of the Oasis, Freedom and or Voyager Class ships. Wouldn't be suprised that we will not see any ship class below Voyager sailing up until spring time next year, at least from the US. Depending how the situation will develop over the end of the year (winter) if numbers will eventually be low and remain stabalized only then the offering would be expanded faster. Otherwise we might see the worst case scenario that cruisng will be halted again for some time.

Saw this on another thread about Spain:

am not sure if the new Spanish decree for the New Normal would have anything to do with the timing of Pullmantur's decision. 

With the "New Normal" decreed by the Spanish government and approved when the Ciudadanos center-right party joined the coalition, insight was given what would be required of transportation companies after the state of emergency is lifted at the end of the month. 

The decree will be permanent until such time that the government considers the pandemic over. 

Masks will be obligatory in all indoor public spaces including workplaces, restaurants, hotels and airlines and other transport companies. Fines as much as 100 euros have been introduced. Outdoor mask usage and fines will be handled by the local regional governments around Spain. 

Transportation companies must keep records of where passengers were seated (dined - lounges) or moved for 30 days. This will allow for proper contact tracing should a confirmed virus case be found. 

It would be required for all transportation within or originating or arriving in Spain to allow for contact tracing. 

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-06-09/spanish-cabinet-approves-decree-for-new-normality-after-coronavirus-state-of-alarm-ends.html

On 6/13/2020 at 8:31 AM, parrotfeathers said:

Did the RCL entertainers, etc. from the U.S. ever get back home or are they still floating around on a ship?

Some are still floating on the ship.  Been watching their VLOGS on Youtube.

RCCL gave them the option to stay on the ship without pay.  They do get free meals and move to a guest cabin.

Everyone has their own motives, but I would have just left the ship and gone home.  At least I can then find a job and get laid off and collect some kind of unemployment.

For now it's three square meals and a place to sleep and hang out on a boat.

On 5/21/2020 at 9:18 AM, LXA350 said:

The subject is dicussed in various other threads already in the Forum.

It is realistic that operation of some sort will commence begining of August but it will be very limited; I would say 2-5 ships global at max and at the easliest.

...Based on what data or statement?

• Like 1