Virgin Suite Perks Changes

Today, I received an e-mail that there would be a lowering of fare for suites and that in turn, some previously mentioned perks would be eliminated.  There was a link that took me to the VV RockStar Quarters page, but I'm having a hard time deciphering which perks were there that are now gone.  Does anyone know? 

To view this email as a web page, go here.

Rockstar Update

Everyone deserves a break right now, even RockStars like you. So in light of that, we've taken a look at our introductory pricing across the board and updated it to reflect the current economic environment as part of our Smooth Sailing program for 2020.

What that means is that we're lowering the fare for your suite, and with that, we've made the decision to remove some of the previously offered perks. If you'd like more details, take a look here for everything that's included with your RockStar status.

With our pricing update, we're also introducing (even more) flexible booking policies — so that you can feel confident about making plans, while knowing that if anything changes, we're on your side. So for sailings through December 16th, 2020, we’re moving final payment dates to 60 days (from 120 days) before you sail, and allowing you to cancel up to 48 hours before your voyage and receive a 100% voyage credit.

You'll receive an updated confirmation email from us in the next 7 days that reflects your new fare. Until then, stay safe and we look forward to sailing out on the open ocean with you soon.

There are a few different speculations flying around.  Some have been about the transfers, wi-fi, and the in room and Bimini included drinks. I saw in one email that details would be coming out in the next few weeks.  My concern is that if we rebook for next year, then what other perks might be eliminated?

Virgin should know that all the unknowns is causing frustration, stress on top of covid to everyone. They should have announced what each room was loosing, and what the rate reduction would be... Poor communication, as it has been since they started.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gskimmel said:

I was wondering the same thing as I got the email, too.  When I looked at the cruise price for my sailing, the price is the same as it was before.  Has anyone noticed a difference?

I have B2B Rock Star bookings for May of 2021. I’ve reviewed the rates and they have dropped a few hundred bucks per cabin. I’m hoping to upgrade to a suite with larger balcony but cannot get through to VV. Was on hold 45 minutes and then opted for callback but that was hours ago.

This sort of cryptic announcement is frustrating. They should be clearer about the changes. They seem to be more interested in generating cute, edgy messages than clearly worded messages.

~Brian 

Same here.  I had some credit before and it looks like there is now more future cruise credit added to my husband's name.  I find that a little odd since he didn't even have an account set up with Virgin and the booking is in my name.  It prompted us to create a Virgin account in his name to keep track, however I'm not even seeing the option to add this cruise to his account.

It seems like the coolest perks, some of which made me want to book the mega suite, are gone! What a bummer. I took the full refund and I’m glad because I don’t feel all that confident that this cruise line is going to be successful...I’ll wait until it’s finally sailing a few months at least and see what others think before rebooking. And wow, how is their website STILL as bad as before? They’ve had quite some time to work out the kinks. Also doesn’t instill confidence...

Edited by Kdiamond55
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kdiamond55 said:

It seems like the coolest perks, some of which made me want to book the mega suite, are gone! What a bummer. I took the full refund and I’m glad because I don’t feel all that confident that this cruise line is going to be successful...I’ll wait until it’s finally sailing a few months at least and see what others think before rebooking. And wow, how is their website STILL as bad as before? They’ve had quite some time to work out the kinks. Also doesn’t instill confidence...

I have complained about their tech since the beginning. Their website has SUCKED since the beginning, and their app is crappy. Hopefully my voyage is a lot smoother sailing..

9 hours ago, Kdiamond55 said:

I so agree. We had a cheeky corner suite in September and opted to get the refund instead of the 200% credit.  I just don't know what this line will look like by next year if they are already eliminating so many of the perks that made it special.  It's sad because I was so excited by all of the initial hype (from North Palm Beach).

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 1:06 AM, flgrl67 said:

I so agree. We had a cheeky corner suite in September and opted to get the refund instead of the 200% credit.  I just don't know what this line will look like by next year if they are already eliminating so many of the perks that made it special.  It's sad because I was so excited by all of the initial hype (from North Palm Beach).

I also opted for the full refund when my Sneak-a-Peek cruise was cancelled for the end of March.  I feel lucky that I received a prompt refund to my credit card, which isn't the case for many requesting refunds as the posts suggest with cancelled Princess Cruises passengers being told it could take 90 days.

The 25% FCC good until March 2021 is a nice touch, and initially had me viewing cruises for later in the year, sailing in a Seriously Suite, which is what I had originally booked.

I noticed a few weeks ago what appeared to be the elimination of the private transfer and premium wifi perks, so I called and got through to a CS agent with little wait.  After checking, they confirmed the benefits were dropped.  There wasn't any mention of a price drop.

Over this weekend, when I read the topics here about the official announcement and price drops, I viewed the Costa Maya cruise dates to find that the prices have INCREASED, rather than decreased for the Seriously Suite.

I think the accountants are waking up to the fact that all those 25% and 100% bonus credits can drastically reduce cash flow at a time when they need it most.  So cutting expenses by reducing benefits and increasing fares are two ways to offset those credits.  That's exactly why airlines place capacity controls on mileage award tickets and upgrades:  they need cash to pay their bills.  It's also why premium cabin service is usually gutted on routes that are predominantly vacation routes such as Hawaii:  "most seats are bought with miles, lacking business travelers, so why spend cash for the usual amenities"?  (Personally I don't agree with that philosophy, but it's long been a practice.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rbt001 said:

I also opted for the full refund when my Sneak-a-Peek cruise was cancelled for the end of March.  I feel lucky that I received a prompt refund to my credit card, which isn't the case for many requesting refunds as the posts suggest with cancelled Princess Cruises passengers being told it could take 90 days.

The 25% FCC good until March 2021 is a nice touch, and initially had me viewing cruises for later in the year, sailing in a Seriously Suite, which is what I had originally booked.

I noticed a few weeks ago what appeared to be the elimination of the private transfer and premium wifi perks, so I called and got through to a CS agent with little wait.  After checking, they confirmed the benefits were dropped.  There wasn't any mention of a price drop.

Over this weekend, when I read the topics here about the official announcement and price drops, I viewed the Costa Maya cruise dates to find that the prices have INCREASED, rather than decreased for the Seriously Suite.

I think the accountants are waking up to the fact that all those 25% and 100% bonus credits can drastically reduce cash flow at a time when they need it most.  So cutting expenses by reducing benefits and increasing fares are two ways to offset those credits.  That's exactly why airlines place capacity controls on mileage award tickets and upgrades:  they need cash to pay their bills.  It's also why premium cabin service is usually gutted on routes that are predominantly vacation routes such as Hawaii:  "most seats are bought with miles, lacking business travelers, so why spend cash for the usual amenities"?  (Personally I don't agree with that philosophy, but it's long been a practice.)

Do you know if the WiFi and transfers where the only thing removed from seriously suites? Any thing said about drinks or access to the private area in Bimini?

4 minutes ago, Jamie2019 said:

Do you know if the WiFi and transfers where the only thing removed from seriously suites? Any thing said about drinks or access to the private area in Bimini?

The website now states:  "Select beverages on us" and describes it as a selection of beverages in your suite.  To me, the wording is different but the intent and offer seems the same as it was originally.  I understood that what's in the minibar to begin with is complimentary, but that it would not be restocked for free.  It was the Mega Rockstar Suites that got essentially an unlimited bar.

I don't see details on drinks being comped at the Beach Club.

Rockstar Suites retain access to Richard's Rooftop, so I would hope they still have access to the private area at The Beach Club.

But on that subject... it's strange that they haven't replaced The Beach Club renderings with actual photos.  I wonder if it's been completed yet.

I got the following email from Red Glove outlining the changes:

Our Crew has been working on some experience changes in response to what Sailors have told us they’re looking for when booking a Virgin Voyages sailing. 

As part of our Smooth Sailing program for 2020, we’ve lowered our introductory pricing across the board, including our suites. With this change, we've made the decision to remove some of the previously offered perks and have kept those that our Sailors feel are most valuable. 

For RockStar Quarters, we’ve removed:

• Complimentary transfers to and from the port. However, our RockStar Sailors will be given the option to purchase and arrange ground transportation with our Crew prior to sailing. 

• Streaming WiFi

• Complimentary laundry service

• Wardrobe team assistance

For our Mega RockStar Quarters, we’ve removed:

• The hair and makeup squad

• RockStar riders

• Kit It Out - music equipment requests

Thanks for your understanding as we continue to develop our onboard programming. We can’t wait to see you on board.

• Thanks 1