Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

I received an email this afternoon from Andrew Flintham (not a personal one of course) - there is now an online method to claim refunds without having to 'phone in.

 

You still need a refund credit reference number - that's the bad news !!!

 

Ours is a package holiday deal, however I assume it'll be the same for cruise bookings.

 

Happy to post the message if anybody feels the need.

 

At least that's a step forward - ish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WeeCountyMan said:

I received an email this afternoon from Andrew Flintham (not a personal one of course) - there is now an online method to claim refunds without having to 'phone in.

 

You still need a refund credit reference number - that's the bad news !!!

 

Ours is a package holiday deal, however I assume it'll be the same for cruise bookings.

 

Happy to post the message if anybody feels the need.

 

At least that's a step forward - ish.

 

 

Perhaps they saw how near the bottom of Martin Lewis's table of the best and worst of holiday companies for refunds they were which was published yesterday. Maybe shamed them into action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe's aye - then again, maybe's naw....................................

 

Probably a less inconvenient (for them principally) method of administering refunds.

 

It appears they've reduced the telephone call in time frame to 5:30pm - and, of course without the refund credit code this new process is academic.

 

Mind you, anything which eliminates endless and repeated attempts to 'phone in must be a step forward.

 

Here's the direct link for anybody who needs it

 

https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/contact-us/pre-travel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, I've tried several times to log onto my booking  for August 4th cruise, but each time it says there is a technical error and to go back to the previous page. Still not had any message from Marella saying cruise is cancelled. It would be nice if they had the courtesy to do that. On a different note, have now been waiting for 53 days  for a refund of over £4000 from Virgin Holidays for cancelled April cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Me and Mrs JTS should be on the 4th day of our cruise and still not received anything official from Marella to say its cancelled 😂

Edited by Jim The Scot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's unbelievable really just don't understand what they hope to gain. Anyway this is obviously your holiday 😎 so so please enjoy as best you can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim The Scot said:

Me and Mrs JTS should be on the 4th day of our cruise and still not received anything official from Marella to say its cancelled 😂

 

So sorry to hear that Jim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, WeeCountyMan said:

I received an email this afternoon from Andrew Flintham (not a personal one of course) - there is now an online method to claim refunds without having to 'phone in.

 

You still need a refund credit reference number - that's the bad news !!!

 

Ours is a package holiday deal, however I assume it'll be the same for cruise bookings.

 

Happy to post the message if anybody feels the need.

 

At least that's a step forward - ish.

 

Received the same email yesterday afternoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WeeCountyMan said:

Have you received your refund code now ?

 

Ours came next day.

Hi WCM.

We got our refund code just over a week ago so I don’t think that there is any order of distribution. At least it looks like there is something happening at long last.

Keep well.😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Agreed - at least it removes the telephone contact lottery scenario.

 

I was most definately not looking forward to having to sit beside the 'phone on handsfree on the slim chance that we might actually speak with a real person.

 

Have shop bookings been included in this online refund process ?

 

Otherwise shop staff are going to be deluged with punters at the door the minute they open, whenever that might b.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Have shop bookings been included in this online refund process ?
 

Not sure about that as we always book online.   According to the apology letter it says that more TUI shop based agents were working from home So maybe that may make a difference with shop booked refunds........If you can believe them🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have a shop made booking for later in the year and not confident it will go ahead, even although it's a few months away.

 

If it's cancelled and shops are not re-opened, and reservations made there not included in the refund process, that will simply extend the ongoing telephone contact problem.

 

When shops do re-open they will be inundated with less than satisfied customers - and the staff will take the flak for TUI's chaotic handling of the situation.

 

 

 

 

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WeeCountyMan said:

I have a shop made booking for later in the year and not confident it will go ahead, even although it's a few months away.

 

If it's cancelled and shops are not re-opened, and reservations made there not included in the refund process, that will simply extend the ongoing telephone contact problem.

 

When shops do re-open they will be inundated with less than satisfied customers - and the staff will take the flak for TUI's chaotic handling of the situation.

 

 

 

 

When this thing is over I don’t believe that I will be booking TUI in a hurry, They haven’t handled this at all well. This is a shame because the actual product/ experience that we all buy into (Marella) is an excellent example of catering to the needs of a section of the nations tourists  (Nation as in UK) such a shame.😔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed, I've always been impressed with Jet2 for package holidays - their resort check in is a very convenient service, as is their single queue setup at GLA. Aircraft seats are slightly more legroom too.

 

As for Marella cruises - I'll wait out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, WeeCountyMan said:

Agreed, I've always been impressed with Jet2 for package holidays - their resort check in is a very convenient service, as is their single queue setup at GLA. Aircraft seats are slightly more legroom too.

 

As for Marella cruises - I'll wait out.

 

40 minutes ago, WeeCountyMan said:

Agreed, I've always been impressed with Jet2 for package holidays - their resort check in is a very convenient service, as is their single queue setup at GLA. Aircraft seats are slightly more legroom too.

 

As for Marella cruises - I'll wait out.

I think that as UK customers of TUI we put up with being treated with slight contempt, We did a cruise and stay in tenerife and the stay hotel was a RUI branded hotel (TUI owned) and it was obviously pointed towards the German market, It was the best hotel we have been in ever. It was spotless, the staff were immaculate and the attention to detail was so impressive. If ever you have ever  been to a Thomson hotel (in the past) the difference is unbelievable. Also the aircraft fleet that TUI use for UK customers has mostly seen better days and paying for reasonable leg room is something that we do as a norm with them.
As I have said before it is only the Marella product that has meant that we keep using them, I certainly wouldn’t go on a package holiday with them.

stay safe😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We stayed in the RIU Arecas Tenerife not long after it opened some years ago - top notch.

 

To be fair Thomson/TUI do offer some good hotels, we like the Gold ones for the decent(ish) evening entertainment. I believe these can now be booked without flights via TUI, however we'll stick with package holidays now that its confirmed that they enjoy better protection than DIY efforts.

 

We saw that in Malta 2010 when the volcanic activity in Iceland caused choas - we were on a package as opposed to a large party who were there independently. We were kept on by Thomas Cook in same room on same board - the DIY crowd had to quit the hotel or pay upfront for extra days.

 

I strongly suspect TUI will feel a strong customer backlash when this all settles and punters will be looking at Jet2 in the first instance for future packages.

 

Likewise for Marella cruises.

 

They really have shot themselves in the foot. As alluded to above, I would not like to be shop staff once the "High Street" stores re-open.

 

Keep safe.

 

PS I could bore you to death with past issues with Thomsons - all relatively minor, it's their condescending attitude and absurd positions that irritate.

 

Like the time I wrote to Head Office praising a resort rep. (by name) who went above and beyond. A couple of weeks later I received a reply apologising for the poor service expereinced - eh ?

 

I then had to copy him into our response to Luton to set the record straight. You could not make it up !!!

 

Here endeth the rant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, WeeCountyMan said:

We stayed in the RIU Arecas Tenerife not long after it opened some years ago - top notch.

 

To be fair Thomson/TUI do offer some good hotels, we like the Gold ones for the decent(ish) evening entertainment. I believe these can now be booked without flights via TUI, however we'll stick with package holidays now that its confirmed that they enjoy better protection than DIY efforts.

 

We saw that in Malta 2010 when the volcanic activity in Iceland caused choas - we were on a package as opposed to a large party who were there independently. We were kept on by Thomas Cook in same room on same board - the DIY crowd had to quit the hotel or pay upfront for extra days.

 

I strongly suspect TUI will feel a strong customer backlash when this all settles and punters will be looking at Jet2 in the first instance for future packages.

 

Likewise for Marella cruises.

 

They really have shot themselves in the foot. As alluded to above, I would not like to be shop staff once the "High Street" stores re-open.

 

Keep safe.

 

PS I could bore you to death with past issues with Thomsons - all relatively minor, it's their condescending attitude and absurd positions that irritate.

 

Like the time I wrote to Head Office praising a resort rep. (by name) who went above and beyond. A couple of weeks later I received a reply apologising for the poor service expereinced - eh ?

 

I then had to copy him into our response to Luton to set the record straight. You could not make it up !!!

 

Here endeth the rant.

 

 

Agree with all you have said here.  Friends and family have used Jet 2 and have nothing but praise for the  service they have received. They also get a discount off their next booking.  

 

I also emailed Tui Head Office once to say I was very happy with the service I received in my local Tui store. I said they couldn't do enough for me.  Like you I received an apology  ( After 28 Days ) for the poor service I received in store.  Just shows they don't even read the emails properly.  I was worried that my local store would get unfavourable feed back from Head Office so I went back to the store to explain the situation. The staff in my local shop are excellent just as are the crew once on board the ship are.  It's a pity those at the top don't match up to the same standard.  Hopefully they will take a long hard look at themselves in future and listen to their customers.

 

PS.

 

Although I got the " We're Sorry "  email my cruise was for later in the year on Celebration  Now transferred. Feel ok about that but will wait till near the time to pay balance before finally deciding what to do.  Still feel uneasy about cruising this year so prepared to lose the deposit if necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've now done most of the Marella itineraries that appealed,  so I think we'll be looking elsewhere for cruises.

 

I remember talking to a middle management TUI employee in Spain a couple of years ago and he confessed that staff at levels below very senior types were regularly frustrated by unworkable rulings from above.

 

One example - resort staff were issued with a PAYG mobile 'phone to keep in contact with local main office, preloaded with £5 credit. That didn't go far for official business like organising tours and excursions etc. - then the reps were questioned as to why they were needing regular top ups. Nobody higher up the chain of command had thought out the practicalities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nancyneptune said:

 

Although I got the " We're Sorry "  email my cruise was for later in the year on Celebration  Now transferred. Feel ok about that but will wait till near the time to pay balance before finally deciding what to do.  Still feel uneasy about cruising this year so prepared to lose the deposit if necessary.

Hi Nancy. If TUI keep their word regarding online refunds  I would be inclined to pay the balance when requested as I don’t realistically think that any cruise lines will be sailing anytime soon so a refund voucher would then be issued and no loss of deposit.

Keep well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's now 9 weeks since our cruise was cancelled (scheduled to fly out on 31st March) and we still haven't received any sort of credit reference number. Maybe because they agreed to a refund on the day of cancellation? If so, I'd like to know when I'll see the refund, 'cos I'm still waiting..... Have tried to call the customer services lines 4 times in the past 2 days (after trying several times in the past couple of weeks). Can't even get onto a queue, just keep getting a recorded message that they're busy and can't take my call. Infuriating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NIX70 said:

It's now 9 weeks since our cruise was cancelled (scheduled to fly out on 31st March) and we still haven't received any sort of credit reference number. Maybe because they agreed to a refund on the day of cancellation? If so, I'd like to know when I'll see the refund, 'cos I'm still waiting..... Have tried to call the customer services lines 4 times in the past 2 days (after trying several times in the past couple of weeks). Can't even get onto a queue, just keep getting a recorded message that they're busy and can't take my call. Infuriating.

Our trip was on 23 March and they cancelled on 13 March, Our refund note arrived on 5 may So there is quite a wait to get the note.

Infuriating I know.😖🤷🏻‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NIX70 - I recommend ringing the number around 8.30 (supposed to open at 9.00am) My daughter got into the queue at that time, and after listening to endless repeat messages, and about to give up, at 9.40 they answered and refund was sorted out. Received a confirming email within the hour.

 

She rang the number that ends in 68, not the one that ends 88.

 

2 days later, part of refund was in her bank (the 20% paid by debit card), the remainder which she had paid by direct debit, is administered by a separate Tui dept, and hasn't arrived yet.

 

Although they tell people that they are working in date order, Tui appear not to be. My daughter was due to fly on 24th May, her refund credit email arrived a week before that date, and the part refund was received before her flight date (she got through on the 2nd day of phoning)

 

We however, waited 8 weeks for a refund on the cruise and stay that got cancelled mid holiday on 15th March. 

Edited by howmuch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully, when things settle down, the governmemnt will initiate a Parliamentry enquiry into all aspects of the holiday, cruise and airline industry focusing on financial procedures and practices - so that there will be root and branch reform.

 

Somebody told me that there are recommendations that deposits and balances are deposited in a "holding account" so that the travel operators etc. don't directly control funds until they require them for operating use

 

The more dissatisfied customers who complain to their MPs, the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...