Would you cruise if Wearing a mask is mandatory?

Would you cruise if wearing a mask is Mandatory?  

711 members have voted

1. 1. Will you cruise if wearing a mask is mandatory?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

5 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

If anyone says " I want to stay safe" ONE.MORE.TIME..😒

Well, I guess we could go back to the “have a nice day” .. I don’t know.... I am living a movie I would never watch. 

Couldn't find garden gloves, wet ones, wet wipes.  I scored diaper wipes which I have made  my own wet wipes. So how about “stay positive”.

• Like 1

At first I said no but after thinking about it, I switched to yes.  I work in the ICU where I wear an N95 at least 3 to 4 hours straight.  I can definitely handle wearing a mask in the cruise lines’ public spaces. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Erik101 said:

At first I said no but after thinking about it, I switched to yes.  I work in the ICU where I wear an N95 at least 3 to 4 hours straight.  I can definitely handle wearing a mask in the cruise lines’ public spaces. 

I think of all the surgeons, doctors, and nurses who wear masks for extended periods of time, and it makes me laugh when people claim that they are breathing in carbon dioxide from wearing a mask...how does the medical world survive? lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2020 at 2:05 PM, Tree_skier said:

Your video is non-scientific commercial advertising from a distributor of masks with a financial vested interest in the promotion of mask sales.  My article, not video, produced by the University of Minnesota's Center for Infectious Disease Reearch and Policy demonstrates that wearing a mask may present a bigger risk than not wearing one.  For 10 weeks we've been told to trust the science.  That's what I'm doing.  Getting scientific information from a mask merchant on Youtube isn't science.

And your article is the one YOU have chosen. The one I read today, from the Mayo clinic (I think they still count as science), recommends their use to help curb spread to others.

By the way, just how many hands high is that horse you ride?

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

I think of all the surgeons, doctors, and nurses who wear masks for extended periods of time, and it makes me laugh when people claim that they are breathing in carbon dioxide from wearing a mask...how does the medical world survive? lol

What’s worse is when I have colleagues who claim their carbon dioxide levels are increasing from wearing an N95. 

🤦🏻

• Like 1

Aside from all the thoughtful people who understand the use of masks is for prevention of the spread of illness to others...I read the "heck no" comments and immediately smile at all the available cabins to choose from at competitive pricing to entice and enable return cruisers. Thanks naysayers...your loss is our gain.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

After wearing a mask in 88 degree heat here in Michigan today it just verified how much I would not enjoy it in hot conditions.  It’s much different in the comfort of air conditioning versus heat (and potential humidity)

Dan

loving this weather across the border here in Ontario. 

Imagine a cruise with the Karen’s of the world, along with the Anti-Karen’s. Both can prove to be problematic, as the press has shown the last few, days from dog walking to pool parties. All depends what side you see it from.🤷‍♂️

CC should really spice up when sailing begins again, one day.

@Biker19get the 🐎 ready. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

3 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Aside from all the thoughtful people who understand the use of masks is for prevention of the spread of illness to others...I read the "heck no" comments and immediately smile at all the available cabins to choose from at competitive pricing to entice and enable return cruisers. Thanks naysayers...your loss is our gain.

Yeah, if RCCL has to start out and sail at lower capacity for a while, I don't think they will have a problem with overbookings to deal with.

What definitely convinced me to wear a mask when going out in public is the CDC or WHO article about other people's air space.

I told Mr. Pcur when he goes to Home Depot, for instance, and stands in line with a social distance, and the line moves forward.  Well, he's walking through someone else's air space from a few seconds/minutes ago, and COVID19 droplets hang around in the air for a while, especially if the person has been talking and pushing air out forcefully.  Think about the number of people you see standing in line talking on a cell phone.

The information I read said to stagger your position so you are behind and off to the side of the person in front of you.  We are all conditioned to line up like little soldiers, so it's a hard habit to break.

Regarding the CO2 build-up in a mask:  once you get somewhere social distant from others, or in a breezy location, pull your mask down and breathe deeply for a few breaths.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

Me too. I just love that argument. Lol

• Like 3

10 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

9 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Me too. I just love that argument. Lol

I don't really know about the carbon dioxide issue as I have never done blood gasses on myself after wearing one. But I do know that I feel quite fatigued after having a mask on or a long period of time. And as I have said before, whether it is from standing on one place for a long period of time, the mask, the mental processes of the procedure, or a combination of all three I don't know. What I do know is that I feel relief when the mask comes off my face. So all I can do is relate my personal experience, nothing more and nothing less. People can chose to do what they want with that. They can take it, leave it, or LOL as much as they want. It doesn't change my experiences either way.

• Like 4

I find the results of the survey at the top of this thread fascinating.  Over 58% of the responses would rather give up cruising rather than wear a mask part time on the ship.  I think it's a valid assumption that you take the mask off when you eat or drink, and when you are out on deck at least 6 feet away from other passengers.

I wonder how this 58% are going to feel a year from now if the mask requirement is still in place?  

Personally, I've become accustomed to wearing a mask in the last 2.5 months, and it's no big deal.  I made soft cotton tee shirt material masks for both of us, with double fabric.  That might be a factor:  people here might be thinking of the scratchy "cup" shaped masks.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, pcur said:

I find the results of the survey at the top of this thread fascinating.  Over 58% of the responses would rather give up cruising rather than wear a mask part time on the ship.  I think it's a valid assumption that you take the mask off when you eat or drink, and when you are out on deck at least 6 feet away from other passengers.

I wonder how this 58% are going to feel a year from now if the mask requirement is still in place?  

Personally, I've become accustomed to wearing a mask in the last 2.5 months, and it's no big deal.  I made soft cotton tee shirt material masks for both of us, with double fabric.  That might be a factor:  people here might be thinking of the scratchy "cup" shaped masks.

My family will be perfectly happy taking other types of vacations where masks aren't required.  We just booked a trip to Hilton Head Island for the week in June where we were supposed to be on the Liberty of the Seas.  We plan on cruising next summer, but if masks are required we will do another beach vacation where it isn't.  The idea that they may be required is why I opted for a refund instead of FCC.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, pcur said:

I will walk down the street and go to the beach. 

• Like 4

If the opinions here are indicative of the cruising population in general, then the cruise lines will have fewer passengers, of course, and this is actually a healthier situation for those that do choose to cruise.  Once vaccinated, the volume will most likely pick up, and the masks come off.

I have 4 future cruises booked:  3 on RCCL, and 1 on Princess.  I deliberately moved our bookings around to start next April 2021, hoping there will be a vaccine by then.  If not, and we feel comfortable, we are happy to cruise with masks.  Otherwise, they all have refundable deposits, and I can kick them down the road.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pcur said:

If the opinions here are indicative of the cruising population in general, then the cruise lines will have fewer passengers, of course, and this is actually a healthier situation for those that do choose to cruise.  Once vaccinated, the volume will most likely pick up, and the masks come off.

I have 4 future cruises booked:  3 on RCCL, and 1 on Princess.  I deliberately moved our bookings around to start next April 2021, hoping there will be a vaccine by then.  If not, and we feel comfortable, we are happy to cruise with masks.  Otherwise, they all have refundable deposits, and I can kick them down the road.

So assuming a vaccine is rushed out in lets say the next six months, that would bring us to the end of the year. Efficacy aside,  you would feel enough confidence is the safety profile to receive it in time to take an April cruise?

• Like 1