Ten steps the cruise industry needs to take to recover

Why pick on cruises??????

What about air travel?  More people in smaller space.

What6 about sports events???  More people smaller space.

What about theater?   More people in a smaller space. 

What make cruising so special about the spread of diseases?  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Donray said:

Why pick on cruises??????

What about air travel?  More people in smaller space.

What6 about sports events???  More people smaller space.

What about theater?   More people in a smaller space. 

Air travel should only be when absolutely necessary.  Sports and theater should be on hold until the virus is under control as well.  Same with parades, concerts, festivals, etc.

13 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

If it means no cruises for 5 years, all of the cruise lines will be out of business.  

The ships will go to debt collectors and the older ones carved up on Africa/India/Far-East, the newer ones probably mothballed like the airplanes and brought out when things return, there will be a business, a bit different look but people like their cruises, and those willing to pay, there will be those willing to take your money 🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

If it means no cruises for 5 years, all of the cruise lines will be out of business.  

So what? 

Is non-essential recreational travel more important than trying to control what is killing tens of thousands of people a month?

Do you think inactivated ships will evaporate after a few months?

Do you think that Hertz’s filing for reorganization will mean that there will be no more rental cars?

6 hours ago, Donray said:

Air travel and audiences are static and you spend less than 24hrs in their company. You can only pass the infection to those immediately in your vicinity but on a cruise you spend at least a minimum of three days roaming amongst the population therefore increasing your opportunity to spread an infection to more people. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Air travel and audiences are static and you spend less than 24hrs in their company. You can only pass the infection to those immediately in your vicinity but on a cruise you spend at least a minimum of three days roaming amongst the population therefore increasing your opportunity to spread an infection to more people. 

A cruise is like an airplane, restaurant, bar, and shopping mall, gym and more all stacked together.   And you rinse and repeat morning / afternoon / night  day and day again, then you offload to ports to mingle and if anyone picks a bug you bring that back on the ship too.   There is a reason cruising will be last, football will happen before cruising. 

A good summary read of all the superspreader and from what I can tell all those occur on a cruise over and over again

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/05/23/your-guide-how/

Today I went to the farmer market, and did take out brunch home.  When things open up we'll be going out, to the gym, etc.   of course keeping social distancing and wearing a mask, and when cruising comes back go too 🙂

Edited by chipmaster

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Is non-essential recreational travel more important than trying to control what is killing tens of thousands of people a month?

Do people really not "get" this? If really so, I'd suggest some counseling.

I am 73, my dh is 88, we were both on the last Grand Princess cruise, where 2 passengers came down with virus after we got off.   I say this because I never had any concern about getting the virus after wards, we practice washing hands on board like we have done for years.   So do think the cruise lines will figure this out in good time.

Either cruise lines sell all the ships to states like California will a high homeless population and start building new smaller ships, or we are going to need to trust the industry to figure this out and then we can decide whether we want to cruise or not.

Flying has is much risk as cruising... airlines are trying to work it out now.  

I for one am waiting for Israel to stop requiring US citizens to quarantine for 14 days, so I can make a flight there, had tickets for May 12; cancelled for now, have 18 months to rebook.   

I have a cruise booked for next February, on the Ruby, final payment due November.  Will wait to see how it goes, whether the ship is even going.

I have a lot of faith in Americans we will get this in good time.  May not happen as quickly as anyone wants, but we will do it.  Life goes on.  We all make choices regarding what is best for us.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pris993 said:

I have a lot of faith in Americans we will get this in good time.

When I see the packed "American" beaches...well, they're showing me how stupid they are.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

When I see the packed "American" beaches...well, they're showing me how stupid they are.

Well you and I disagree... suspect many at the beach are very young... and less at risk.  Once again I have faith in my fellow Americans.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, pris993 said:

suspect many at the beach are very young... and less at risk.

Do you also suspect they're otherwise hermits?  They may be less at risk of getting sick, but they are not less at risk of becoming infected -- and that means they can pass on that infection to people who are at higher risk of getting sick.

I don't see a lot to have faith in when I see people who aren't caring much about transmitting a serious infection like this one. 

On 5/23/2020 at 12:18 PM, Donray said:

I don't agree with you.  Yes there will be a vaccine.  There are many in trails now.  We almost eliminated Polio my vaccine.  Except for the idiot anti vaccine people we would almost eliminate measles.  

The only thing that will slow down a vaccine are governments. 

Today a doctor on a news channel stated that Companies that are attempting to produce a vaccine are concerned because the virus is going away too quickly. I took a photo of the TV but can't attach it for some reason. I will just give the direct quote, "Scientists warn virus may be disappearing too fast for vaccine studies to produce meaningful results"....

2 minutes ago, Jasawyer said:

Today a doctor on a news channel stated that Companies that are attempting to produce a vaccine are concerned because the virus is going away too quickly. I took a photo of the TV but can't attach it for some reason. I will just give the direct quote, "Scientists warn virus may be disappearing too fast for vaccine studies to produce meaningful results"....

Fantasy land.  

1 hour ago, calliopecruiser said:

Do you also suspect they're otherwise hermits?  They may be less at risk of getting sick, but they are not less at risk of becoming infected -- and that means they can pass on that infection to people who are at higher risk of getting sick.

I don't see a lot to have faith in when I see people who aren't caring much about transmitting a serious infection like this one. 

If you are that concerned stay home,  let others make choices for themselves.  I am senior, I got out once a week to do shopping, once a month to do banking for the most part, but I do  think it time to open up the country and I respect others will make choices for themselves.  I do not plan to over react to this situation. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Jasawyer said:

yes, I have heard some experts say the virus may simply go away on its own... that would be a good thing. 

• Like 1

Not taking precautions to slow the spread of a pandemic is NOT a personal choice, it is a evil selfishness.  Not wearing a seatbelt or riding a motorcycle without a helmet is a foolish personal choice, but you are only causing harm to yourself.  Not wearing a mask or social distancing is like choosing to drive drunk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The virus is not going away quickly, let alone "too quickly"; the world is still gaining about 100,000 new cases each day, and it's been that way for the last 4-6 weeks.  The number of cases isn't showing any signs of trending downwards, though the number of daily new cases is relatively stable about about 100,000. 

It's easy for someone to say "one day it might just disappear", but there's really no evidence that it will happen any time soon (if at all), so someone dreaming about it and not giving any reasons for their dream becoming a realistic idea is just as meaningless as my saying "one day, there might be peace on earth". 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

The virus is not going away quickly, let alone "too quickly"; the world is still gaining about 100,000 new cases each day, and it's been that way for the last 4-6 weeks.  The number of cases isn't showing any signs of trending downwards, though the number of daily new cases is relatively stable about about 100,000. 

It's easy for someone to say "one day it might just disappear", but there's really no evidence that it will happen any time soon (if at all), so someone dreaming about it and not giving any reasons for their dream becoming a realistic idea is just as meaningless as my saying "one day, there might be peace on earth". 

Those saying virus may just disappear base this on the fact other viruses have done so.   So not just wishful thinking.    

10 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Those saying virus may just disappear base this on the fact other viruses have done so.   So not just wishful thinking.

There aren't many that have "just disappeared" in history - I can only think of 1 that has disappeared on its own, but I'm sure there must be more.  Yes, it is the closely related SARS-Cov1 virus, but it disappeared after infecting just over 8000 people world-wide in about 18 months; currently the world is gaining about 100,000 new cases of Covid-19 every day.  Think about that - compare the spread of a virus that is infecting 100,000 new people every day to one that infected just 8000 in a year and a half.  They're really incomparable in that regard, even if they are genetically related, and that kind of opportunity for transmission (with it's relatively high transmission rate) means it isn't just going to peter out on its own.

So, SARS-Cov1 (causing SARS) acted totally differently than the current SARS-Cov2 (causing Covid-19) --- so I think it would be wishful thinking to believe it will act in the same way and "disappear quickly".   As Dr. Fauci said " the degree of efficiency of transmissibility of this is really unprecedented in anything that I’ve seen. It’s an extraordinarily efficient virus in transmitting from one person to another,” Fauci said. “These kinds of viruses don’t just disappear.”"

Are there other viruses you know about that just disappeared, never to be seen again?

GET RID OF THOSE INFERIOR INTERIOR CABINS

Really?  I don't like the tone here...seems to imply that people who book them are of a lower class.  Is there a study showing that interior cabins are the source of illness and disease on cruise ships?  How could cruise ships get rid of interior cabins?  If they don't allow passengers to book them, it stands to reason fares will go up for passengers in other categories.

On 5/25/2020 at 1:34 PM, pris993 said:

Well you and I disagree... suspect many at the beach are very young... and less at risk.  Once again I have faith in my fellow Americans.

23 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

IMHO this phase of the pandemic response has things exactly backward.  As we open up the economy, we can no longer impose the responsibility of protecting the high risk groups on the shoulders of the young and healthy.  It's now time for the elderly and those with comorbidities to assume responsibility for their own safety from COVID.   Yes, some of the young and healthy have also died from COVID-19, but this is the exception - for school age children it is a very rare exception.  Children need to return to school. If you follow the science there is no justification for keeping schools closed any longer.  Young and middle age healthy adults need to get on with their lives and get back to work...... and yes, back to socializing.  Again, the science tells us that for this demographic COVID-19 is akin to the flu - and we don't take these drastic measures for flu season - even though tens of thousands die.  Will more of the young and healthy contract COVID-19?  Yep, but only a very small percentage will get seriously ill and of those only a tiny percentage will die.

So that leaves us older folk, and those with comorbidities, to fend for ourselves -  as is appropriate and doable.  This means that while others are encouraged to wear cloth masks to protect others, we must wear masks designed to protect the wearer (i.e. ourselves).  We need to wear N95 or equivalent masks when we leave the house just like those worn by hospital workers (who despite working in a coronavirus rich environment every day have an infection rate equal to, or often lower than, the public).  

It also means that while the young and healthy start to return to normal, we can't.  The risk for them relaxing social distancing rules is so much lower than it is for us.  They can resume flying, we can't.  They can start to return to restaurants, we can't.  And  yes, in a couple of months they can resume cruising, we can't.  In truth, we too can start to do these things - and some of us will, but in doing so we must accept the risk along with the responsibility to protect ourselves.  This is no longer a burden we can impose on the young.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by mnocket