Does anyone else worry they will randomly sneeze or cough?

firefly333

I sneezed the other day in a grocery store but luckily wasnt close to anyone.

I do sometimes sneeze or cough, maybe it's my sinuses. A eye doctor said my tear ducts were blocked so my eyes tear up. Hard not to rub them. 

I'm just thinking on a cruise with lots of other people it's bound to happen and everyone will be looking at me wondering if I'm sick? My next cruise is Oct 4th, 7 day Freedom. I dont have allergies unless I'm allergic to food that causes it. I'm not sure I'd want me eating near them.

Anyone else worry about stuff like this?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My mom bought a mask to use for vacuuming, its getting better, but that mask really makes me sneeze.

I ordered some black cloth masks from a fb ad, my cousin was like dont you know never to do that. I finally inquired and they said expected to arrived between july 11 and august 30. No where did it say they were located in China. Sighs. ... maybe they will arrive before my cruise.

We sailed in late February, when Covid related protocols started. On that cruise, we were told that our temperature would be taken during check in, and that anybody exhibiting any symptoms of respiratory issues would be pulled aside for medical assessment. I was very conscious about not coughing or sneezing because I didn’t want to be flagged. I was on the lookout, and I swear, I didn’t hear a single cough or sneeze from anybody else during the entire week. 

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

My mom bought a mask to use for vacuuming, its getting better, but that mask really makes me sneeze.

I ordered some black cloth masks from a fb ad, my cousin was like dont you know never to do that. I finally inquired and they said expected to arrived between july 11 and august 30. No where did it say they were located in China. Sighs. ... maybe they will arrive before my cruise.

Well, they do seem to have a pretty good experience with dealing with that nasty bug. Maybe their masks are of a pretty good quality in serving their intended purpose. 👍

I sneezed two times in a row today while I was watching TV at home.  My first thought was that I was glad it didn't happen while I was grocery shopping earlier today.  Even though I wear a mask to go shopping, I don't want to cough or sneeze.

When I went on a cruise last March, I was aware when someone coughed and made sure I kept my distance.  One time someone coughed in the elevator and I had to just hope for the best.  I didn't get sick, so it was fine.

1 hour ago, RWolver672 said:

On the lighter side, my son said the other day that he used to cough to hide a fart.  Now he farts to hide a cough.  😃

Love it!  DD and DH suffer terribly from seasonal allergies, which are terrible this time of year here.  If they sneeze or cough, I just say "allergies" if anyone looks at them.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Love it!  DD and DH suffer terribly from seasonal allergies, which are terrible this time of year here.  If they sneeze or cough, I just say "allergies" if anyone looks at them.  

If you are out to sea and no plants or trees do people still have allergies?  Idk since I'm not allergic, just curious

34 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

If you are out to sea and no plants or trees do people still have allergies?  Idk since I'm not allergic, just curious

That’s a really good question. I have never had any allergies or been allergic to any food, medicine, etc. I am curious too to read responses concerning this issue.  

The hubs calls me a chain sneeze.  I will sneeze up to 12 or 13 times. It is caused from allergies. It is very embarrassing when I'm in public. If I can, I'll excuse myself and go where there are no people around.  I have gotten some very rude remarks from people. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Don’t ask me for a definitive source on this one but I recall reading somewhere that ragweed pollen can be distributed up to several hundred kilometers over water.  So, if that is the case and the wind is in the right direction then seasonal allergies could very well remain a problem for some onboard a ship.

11 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I do sometimes sneeze or cough, maybe it's my sinuses. A eye doctor said my tear ducts were blocked so my eyes tear up. Hard not to rub them. 

I'm just thinking on a cruise with lots of other people it's bound to happen and everyone will be looking at me wondering if I'm sick? My next cruise is Oct 4th, 7 day Freedom. I dont have allergies unless I'm allergic to food that causes it. I'm not sure I'd want me eating near them.

Personally...if I were to sail....I wouldn't worry about what comes out of me....but what comes out of everyone else.

As long as I'm wearing a mask the other people are "theoretically" safe...and if I did go into a coughing spasm I'd point to my mask.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I find once we are out to sea my airborne allergies are not as bad. 

When I start sneeezing more I know I am late getting my allergy shot.  Always try to do my shot the day before we cruise to help me not sneeze.

12 hours ago, firefly333 said:

No,it is normal to sneeze or cough.However,if it was non stop for about 10 minutes I could see that possibly be a problem.Many people have allergies and sneeze and cough.

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

No,it is normal to sneeze or cough.However,if it was non stop for about 10 minutes I could see that possibly be a problem.Many people have allergies and sneeze and cough.

Yeah, but still when I sneezed the other day, I followed up by saying “seasonal allergies, get them every year at this time” to the person about 25 feet away who had a concerned glare. 

No, I don't worry. There are a myriad of reasons for someone to cough or sneeze that are unrelated to contagious illnesses. I'm asthmatic, so I often cough. If someone wants to run away like a frightened little girl, that's up to them.

• Like 1