DAY 70 NO CREDIT NO REFUND $8,500 ON 3 CABINS

Just want to point out a few things here.....

1. It's not just RCL.  EVERY cruise line is having this problem currently, and they're all doing the best they can to get through it.

2. Every passenger for every ship since mid-March has to a) provide preference of FCC or refund (you don't get in the refund queue until you do this) and b) has to be processed.  They're not working in their offices anymore than the rest of us capable of working from home.  It's a lot of refunds to process, and it takes time.

3.  The lag may not be with RCL; it could be with your bank.  Banks are ALSO on modified working arrangements, and in some cases, people are being pulled in from other departments to handle the influx of traffic from the travel sector as a whole.  Because these transactions run into the thousands, the process is more complicated than if you, say, retrned a ***** to Macy's for $50.  There's more scrutiny to it in order to prevent fraud or erroneous transactions (my brother works for a bank...it's crazy at the moment).

4.  Due to the sheer volume of passengers that have to be refunded, it's not going to be as quick as if the ship was still sailing and you were one of a handful that decided to cancel.  The average time for refund is running about 90 days - for all cruise lines, hotels, and airlines.

5. Refunds usually come as a reversal of charges based on payments you made.  So, if you paid for your cruise in 3 installments, you will likely get 3 separate refunds as opposed to one lump sum.

Patience is extremely important at the moment, and while I can understand the frustration, please remember that no one is doing this to spite you personally.  It's simply another case of a company that got blindsided by COVID-19 and the global impact (like many companies did).

10 minutes ago, BensonFan711 said:

1. It's not just RCL.  EVERY cruise line is having this problem currently, and they're all doing the best they can to get through it.

2. Every passenger for every ship since mid-March has to a) provide preference of FCC or refund (you don't get in the refund queue until you do this) and b) has to be processed.  They're not working in their offices anymore than the rest of us capable of working from home.  It's a lot of refunds to process, and it takes time.

3.  The lag may not be with RCL; it could be with your bank.  Banks are ALSO on modified working arrangements, and in some cases, people are being pulled in from other departments to handle the influx of traffic from the travel sector as a whole.  Because these transactions run into the thousands, the process is more complicated than if you, say, retrned a ***** to Macy's for $50.  There's more scrutiny to it in order to prevent fraud or erroneous transactions (my brother works for a bank...it's crazy at the moment).

4.  Due to the sheer volume of passengers that have to be refunded, it's not going to be as quick as if the ship was still sailing and you were one of a handful that decided to cancel.  The average time for refund is running about 90 days - for all cruise lines, hotels, and airlines.

5. Refunds usually come as a reversal of charges based on payments you made.  So, if you paid for your cruise in 3 installments, you will likely get 3 separate refunds as opposed to one lump sum.

Patience is extremely important at the moment, and while I can understand the frustration, please remember that no one is doing this to spite you personally.  It's simply another case of a company that got blindsided by COVID-19 and the global impact (like many companies did).

Nice try. 

Every passenger did not have to notify the cruise line of their preference of either FCC or refund.  FCC was the default, you had to notify if you wanted a refund.

I would love to see the source for your claim of 90 day average refund period for cruise lines, airfare and hotels.  Most are getting cruise fare back in less than 90 days.  Our hotel was refunded immediately and our airfare posted in less than a week as has been the experience of most people I know.

Not all refunds are cookie cutter.  We cancelled our cruise prior to the cruise line stopping sailing and those refunds are the ones that the cruise line has completely dropped the ball on.

As far as your patience comment, we have waited since MARCH 10th, we have been very patient.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

When someone mentions status, I usually take it to mean that they are a frequent cruiser, a loyal customer and well versed in cruising policy and procedures, which lends validity to their complaint vs a disgruntled/inexperienced newcomer. 

Key word is usually. I'm sure there are some that think they deserve special attention or just like to brag. 

In my opinion. 

Reasonable enough reply.  I just don’t think it should matter if high ranking C&A or Suite when it comes to refunds. I do have a sense that their are more than a few that feel them should get Preferential treatment based on their status (cruise experience). 

This is my opinion too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Nice try. 

Every passenger did not have to notify the cruise line of their preference of either FCC or refund.  FCC was the default, you had to notify if you wanted a refund.

I would love to see the source for your claim of 90 day average refund period for cruise lines, airfare and hotels.  Most are getting cruise fare back in less than 90 days.  Our hotel was refunded immediately and our airfare posted in less than a week as has been the experience of most people I know.

Not all refunds are cookie cutter.  We cancelled our cruise prior to the cruise line stopping sailing and those refunds are the ones that the cruise line has completely dropped the ball on.

As far as your patience comment, we have waited since MARCH 10th, we have been very patient.

My source?  Do a Google search.  Duh.  You can find the answer to that as there are several articles out there.

You got lucky on airfare and hotel.

90 days from March 10 is JUNE 10.....*checks calendar* it's still May.  Chil, and don't be a jerk.  There are too many of those as it is.

4 minutes ago, BensonFan711 said:

My source?  Do a Google search.  Duh.  You can find the answer to that as there are several articles out there.

You got lucky on airfare and hotel.

90 days from March 10 is JUNE 10.....*checks calendar* it's still May.  Chil, and don't be a jerk.  There are too many of those as it is.

Personal attacks are against community guidelines, would suggest you google that.

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

So why would someone mention their status in regards to refunds?  What should it matter?

Post #37 not mine????

Post #37 is below... I think some cleaning of the thread moved things around.  

On 5/25/2020 at 8:05 AM, A&L_Ont said:

All inclusive, like Sandals for an example. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BensonFan711 said:

A lot of this seems made up. 

I have had round trip airfare for 6 trips on 2 different airlines refunded in less than 2 weeks. 
Hotel deposits for those 6 trips refunded in less than 2 weeks. 
Concert tickets refunded in less than 2 weeks 

Google is hardly a source I would be comfortable quoting for the daily operations of a major corporation. 

I am as big a fan of RCI as anyone else, but there is no excuse for the way these refunds are being handled.  My new favorite company is American Express; after 69 days waiting for RCI, I go to the AMEX website, check a box disputing he original charge and I have my money back in a matter of hours, and AMEX can wait on RCI. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I have had round trip airfare for 6 trips on 2 different airlines refunded in less than 2 weeks. 

Google is hardly a source I would be comfortable quoting for the daily operations of a major corporation. 

I am as big a fan of RCI as anyone else, but there is no excuse for the way these refunds are being handled.  My new favorite company is American Express; after 69 days waiting for RCI, I go to the AMEX website, check a box disputing he original charge and I have my money back in a matter of hours, and AMEX can wait on RCI. 

LOL....Google is search engine, not a source...nice try though. There are plenty of articles being written about this, and there’s an entire Internet for you to verify the information. 

so, what you’re saying is that your personal experience, which is statistically insignificant, is what’s real. Sure. Ok. Excuse me while I ignore the multitude of cases that refute that. 

8 minutes ago, BensonFan711 said:

LOL....Google is search engine, not a source...nice try though. There are plenty of articles being written about this, and there’s an entire Internet for you to verify the information. 

so, what you’re saying is that your personal experience, which is statistically insignificant, is what’s real. Sure. Ok. Excuse me while I ignore the multitude of cases that refute that. 

You appear to be a very angry person, who can’t handle being disagreed with.
Yes these are my personal experiences, (many corroborating experiences on these boards) 

I have had MANY large credits from large corporations (travel related and other), the last 3 months. 
I don’t care how busy a corporation or bank is, no one holds my (statistically significant) money for 90 days past the date a service is no longer offered. 

nice try

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I believe you are correct. There seems to be at least one who is now MIA. 😇

Rules are well established here. 😁😎

can’t figure out who though.

33 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

100% agreed.  I've also cancelled a multitude of flights, hotel rooms, rental cars, Vegas shows, Broadway shows and various concerts. All refunds took anywhere from 24 hours to 2 1/2 weeks.  The worst was Avis who didn't want to waive their cancellation fee of $50. I took it up the chain and was eventually reimbursed.

I love Royal as much as anybody else on this forum but I make a distinction between their shipboard customer service and land-based corporate customer service.  On the ship, we are treated *ahem* Royally by the staff - stateroom attendants, bartenders, waiters, etc. However, the corporation, I don't extend the same love. Why people are willing to put up with some of their less-than friendly customer policies and actually make excuses for them is beyond me.  And I realize it's all cruise lines, not just Royal.  And I get it, they want to hang on to the money as long as possible. While not criminal, its' definitely a bit shady.  It would be nice if there were some strengthening of consumer protection regulations once this is all over.

Seriously, 15 days should be normal. 30-45 days in a pandemic, okay. Anything more is just not right.

27 minutes ago, BensonFan711 said:

Well, now there are 2 personal experiences.  Getting more statistically significant.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

100% agreed.  I've also cancelled a multitude of flights, hotel rooms, rental cars, Vegas shows, Broadway shows and various concerts. All refunds took anywhere from 24 hours to 2 1/2 weeks.  The worst was Avis who didn't want to waive their cancellation fee of $50. I took it up the chain and was eventually reimbursed.

I love Royal as much as anybody else on this forum but I make a distinction between their shipboard customer service and land-based corporate customer service.  On the ship, we are treated *ahem* Royally by the staff - stateroom attendants, bartenders, waiters, etc. However, the corporation, I don't extend the same love. Why people are willing to put up with some of their less-than friendly customer policies and actually make excuses for them is beyond me.  And I realize it's all cruise lines, not just Royal.  And I get it, they want to hang on to the money as long as possible. While not criminal, its' definitely a bit shady.  It would be nice if there were some strengthening of consumer protection regulations once this is all over.

Seriously, 15 days should be normal. 30-45 days in a pandemic, okay. Anything more is just not right.

Well, now there are 2 personal experiences.  Getting more statistically significant.

Thank you for adding your statistics to my small sample size, you put it much more eloquently than did I. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Thank you for adding your statistics to my small sample size, you put it much more eloquently than did I. 

Thanks. I get it,  People love cruising and love Royal.

But I always ask myself, how would I feel if my local cable TV company, bank/investment advisor or home renovation contractor  had treated me the same way. I would think most people would not be happy.  

39 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

" i love Royal as much as anybody else on this forum but I make a distinction between their shipboard customer service and land-based corporate customer service.  On the ship, we are treated *ahem* Royally by the staff - stateroom attendants, bartenders, waiters, etc. However, the corporation, I don't extend the same love."

I agree 100% it has always been that way.  Love to cruise and really missing it....  BUT that land-based "customer service"  is another story

Edited by SJ1_
spelling
  • Like 1

I cancelled on March 12th before cruises were cancelled by RCI.  I got the taxes and fees back in a few days,  After numerous phone calls and promised dates, I finally received the rest after 63 days.  It was strange though that my credits were for amounts under $500 all on the same day.

On 5/23/2020 at 1:15 PM, ONECRUISER said:

Good Luck. CC Members/Royal Cruisers had Class Action yrs ago. Settlement by Royal $7 Million Lawyers got cash Cruisers inc Wife and I got $28 in FCC$ 7 for each Cruise times 2 and required use it within 1yr.. This situation with Royal, others having same issue with other Cruiseline's and Travel... 60 Days could expect and many were told, with Millions Bookings last 2 months. BUT, I'd be hounding them everyday after. Keep after them!

We had a couple of those $7 certificates. <LOL< :classic_biggrin: And some $5 ones from Princess. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, well, well, miracles do exist.  I just received a notification from AMEX that a merchant has issued a credit.  We have finally received our refund of 25% of our cruise fare for our cancellation of our cruise way back on March 10th.  We had already received our FCC and our cruise planner items, so we are finally fully refunded.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Whats the big deal?  

The big deal is I don’t give interest feee loans to multi billion dollar companies 

The big deal is since folks booked these trips, it’s quite possible their financial situation has changed dramatically. Maybe they have some medical bills to pay, maybe been furloughed. Doesn’t matter, it is their money, for a service both parties have agreed will not be rendered. 

It’s really not for you to say that booking the vacation was a bad financial move on their part. 

That is tone deaf 

• Like 7