How About a Cruise With No Ports for Safety

cruzsnooze

Who would join me on a 5 or 7 days cruise out of San Pedro that would have to stop for a few hours in Ensenada but no one disembarks. All safety measures like temperature before boarding and other CDC guidelines being followed. The caveat would be no chance of picking up any virus (not already on the ship) at ports and hopefully no one who embarked was ill.  RCL is talking about a quarantine section of rooms on their ship just in case and only allowing 50% passenger capacity. Buffet would not be self serve and seating at all venues would have social distancing. Under the right conditions I would venue back. The biggie for me would be no ports to pick up any virus. 

• Like 6

The ports are not the issue.  I love as many sea days as I can get. The issue is that without a vaccine there is no way to stay safe on a cruise. No way to distance etc. Once we have a vaccine I would believe you will be required to show proof just as you need to show shots for yellow fever or malaria 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

Who would join me on a 5 or 7 days cruise out of San Pedro that would have to stop for a few hours in Ensenada but no one disembarks. All safety measures like temperature before boarding and other CDC guidelines being followed. The caveat would be no chance of picking up any virus (not already on the ship) at ports and hopefully no one who embarked was ill.  RCL is talking about a quarantine section of rooms on their ship just in case and only allowing 50% passenger capacity. Buffet would not be self serve and seating at all venues would have social distancing. Under the right conditions I would venue back. The biggie for me would be no ports to pick up any virus. 

I'd sooner go to Las Vegas or perhaps some other land based resort.  Everything on a cruise is a compromise for the value of a moving hotel, food is 3rd rate, entertainment 3rd rate, extras restaurant almost 1st rate, but you can't beat the value of the moving hotel and with it all the convenience,even a warm place round trip I'd rather have the security of not being locked up and not allowed to dock if somebody of the few thousand fall ill, much harder a quarantine in a hotel, I just check out, LOL

• Like 4

No interest whatsoever.   Non interested in that many sea days.  Not interested in being in a captive environment when one or more of the crew or passengers may have the virus.

We are not the least bit interested in booking or taking a cruise unless we have a very good idea of what the on board environment will be, whether or not we will enjoy it, let alone the itinerary. 

We travel fairly frequently.  We are tentatively planning for two years of land trips, four extended trips, without the inclusion of a cruise.  Perhaps  a late next year we will look at adding a cruise. But not before we know what we are buying.  Nor do we have much confidence, based on recent events, that the cruise lines will place our health and personal well being above their financial interests.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Where do I sign up for such a cruise?

Interesting, there has been on other Message Boards discussions about this possibility.  If enough potential cruisers want such, it might just happen.  Business models for many industries are going to be changing as a result of this virus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, iancal said:

Unclear to me how the cruise line could ‘screen’ passengers on embarkation.  Certainly temperature is not a reliable guideline.

Supposedly spit tests for the active virus are becoming available as are antibody tests. Both of these types of tests supposedly are fairly rapid.  Question is how sensitive and how accurate are they.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The PVSA does not allow token port stops.

Yep, this in essence becomes a cruise to nowhere, which while allowed by PVSA, would require US work visas for the entire crew.

• Like 3

If this was the only way we could cruise again we would do it. We  love sea days and would be content ( at least for a while) to see the sights from the balcony as we sail by or stop at a port for supplies. 

I would much prefer to be quarantined on a ship than a hotel. They will  have learned from this experience and be better prepared for it. Extra medical staff and extra supplies. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Who would join me on a 5 or 7 days cruise out of San Pedro ............….t

Your 5 to 7 day cruise would probably turn into a 19 to 21 day cruise with you quarantined in your cabin for the last two weeks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Omega1 said:

No, not for us. Cruising is a means to an end, not an end in itself (for us).

Our exact sentiments too and we have done at least fifteen 20 to 30 days cruises on Princess around the world and I could not imagine a 5- to 7 day cruise if they hit inclement weather (which can and does happen) and everyone is inside and not out on deck.....soooooooooooooooooo much FUN!!!!

14 hours ago, chipmaster said:

I'd sooner go to Las Vegas or perhaps some other land based resort.  Everything on a cruise is a compromise for the value of a moving hotel, food is 3rd rate, entertainment 3rd rate, extras restaurant almost 1st rate, but you can't beat the value of the moving hotel and with it all the convenience,even a warm place round trip I'd rather have the security of not being locked up and not allowed to dock if somebody of the few thousand fall ill, much harder a quarantine in a hotel, I just check out, LOL

I am not a Vegas fan but you are 100% right. The entertainment and food are not good enough on the ship and with no ports - definitely not interested.

12 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

There are plenty of ways to distance, and they've been discussed on here multiple times.

I think talking about ways to distance on a ship ... but then actually have them work effectively are two entirely different conversations. After a couple of days even well intentioned passengers will slowly start forgetting about “new rules.” Just look around. As we begin to “open up” too many people in grocery stores and other public places are already forgetting about the lessons of the past several months.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Yep, this in essence becomes a cruise to nowhere, which while allowed by PVSA, would require US work visas for the entire crew.

But if it were to be a cruise stopping at Princess Cay in the Bahamas would that eliminate the US work visas?

19 minutes ago, voljeep said:

we would do a 4-5 day max cruise to Princess Cay at 50% capacity or less and balconys or above only

I see your point mostly, but why the requirement of balconies or above only?  What difference would it make if some cruisers had inside cabins or ocean view cabins?  It might be helpful if they did permit insides as it would be easier to distance balconies from each other.