United flight waiver till May 31

Petoonya

I changed cruises to from April 4 2021 to May 24 2021.

I'd previously bought tickets SFO to Tahiti on United for the April 4 2021 cruise.  This ticket was able to be canceled up till May 31 without penalty as long as new travel was booked also by May 31.

Can't book the new Tahiti travel until July when reservations for May-June 2021 will be available.

I'm looking for a way around the penalty.

The United agent was not helpful. She couldn't even tell me what the cancellation penalty would be if I rebook flights after May 31.

But if I book a refundable fare before May 31, 2020, cancel that ticket, then shouldn't it be purely refundable and without restrictions? Then upon cancellation of that ticket I could use the proceeds towards my airfare for May 21-June 10 2021?

Ok, there is some key info missing here. You booked flights for an Apr 4, 2021 cruise? You could have only done that in the last couple of weeks, because those flights didn't come available to book until about May 4th 2020. If this is what you meant, you can cancel (without a fee) and you will receive an Electronic Travel Credit (ETC) for the value of the tickets, which is good for 2 years from date of ETC issuance.  Or you could receive a Future Flight Credit, which you must re-book within a year of original ticket issuance. You don't have to re-book by May 31, 2020.

But I suspect there is some other details missing...

One more item....if you originally bought a restricted ticket and exchange the value for a refundable ticket, the value of the restricted ticket doesn't miraculously become refundable.  That still retains the original restrictions, and must be used by the deadline of the original e-credits.

Otherwise, folks could just keep rerolling credits ahead and then ahead again.

Edited by FlyerTalker

9 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Ok, there is some key info missing here. You booked flights for an Apr 4, 2021 cruise? You could have only done that in the last couple of weeks, because those flights didn't come available to book until about May 4th 2020. If this is what you meant, you can cancel (without a fee) and you will receive an Electronic Travel Credit (ETC) for the value of the tickets, which is good for 2 years from date of ETC issuance.  Or you could receive a Future Flight Credit, which you must re-book within a year of original ticket issuance. You don't have to re-book by May 31, 2020.

But I suspect there is some other details missing...

No there are no details missing. I did buy the ticket just 2 weeks ago for 4/4/21 cruise SFO-PPT. Six days ago got a better deal on a cruise for 5/24/21, so  canceled the original ticket. United says I need to purchase a ticket with those funds before 5/31/20 to avoid paying a fee. I have no use for any other United flight that might be purchased before 5/31/20. The only reason I have to fly United at all is SFO-PPT in May 2021.

Regardless I've been told by United agents twice now that if I want to use funds from those tickets anytime after 5/31/20 I will pay a fee. If I'm leaving a piece out or there's something I don't understand please tell me.

7 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

One more item....if you originally bought a restricted ticket and exchange the value for a refundable ticket, the value of the restricted ticket doesn't miraculously become refundable.  That still retains the original restrictions, and must be used by the deadline of the original e-credits.

Otherwise, folks could just keep rerolling credits ahead and then ahead again.

Thanks. That's exactly what I needed to know.

Edited by Petoonya

Yes...the details you weren't mentioning was the "restricted tickets". Have had to re-arrange/cancel 5 different flights since March 13, of different types and fares. Have not met any resistance from United, due to their special procedures and policies. Your situation was definitely different.