Your favorite memory

14 hours ago, mugtech said:

My dad was in the 106th but got sent to college, but when they scrapped the college program he was reassigned to the 25th.  The 106th was surrendered at the bulge, the biggest US surrender since Bataan in the Philippines.  Was Kurt Vonnegut's outfit, he got to live through the firebombing of Dresden, write about it later. 

Small world indeed! The 106th, another young, inexperienced division - the "Golden Lions", was apparently captured on the 16th in the same area - battle of Lanzerath. My dad was captured on the 17th. https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/fall-golden-lions

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

I guess I  sadly in a way to have 2 best memories . My first would be our first cruise out of San Juan on the Adventure of the Sea , Just flying in to San Juan seeing Old San Juan and then seeing the AOS the first time and then all of those southern Caribbean Islands was so much  fun , so great we booked the same cruise one year later opposite route and would come to PR again maybe 5 or 6 more times.  Sadly my wife of 35 years would pass of Brain cancer in 18 . NYE of 19 god would lead me to another great women I would introduce her to cruising and I had never been on a NYE cruise as my wife couldn't travel that time of year. It was truly like starting all over again for me as well .  It was truly a wonderful cruise on  the Carnival Miracle .

• Thanks 1

This is gonna be a long one due to so many favorite memories!

All our cruises have had special meaning. Our first cruise was on the Carnival Triumph and a favorite for all the obvious reasons of the first cruise. On that trip we had to contend with Tropical Storm Debbie in the Gulf of Mexico. During the instructions of the  stingray swim in Cozumel, we kept our whole bodies submerged with only our head out of water as the gulf water was warmer than the falling rain.

The second cruise was on the Carnival Miracle and we sailed to PV and Cabo seeing humpback whales for much of the trip. The highlight was a whale watching excursion on a zodiac boat.

The third cruise was to Alaska on the Norwegian Jewel. Enough said cause first time to Alaska is pure magic.

The fourth cruise was on the Royal Harmony of the Seas. Our first time on a massive ship and going to Maho Beach to experience the planes landing so close to the shore!

The fifth cruise was with two other couples, one of which were first timers and it was so much fun to see newbies be awestruck of the ship (Royal Liberty of the Seas).

Our latest memory came because of Covid19 as our cruise in late March was cancelled. Not to worry though as we are rebooked for March 2021 on the Royal Oasis of the Seas!

In all these cruises we've had only one duplicate port and that was Cozumel. We like to keep it different for each cruise!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Amazing stories indeed.....the "Greatest Generation" to be sure. My dad, after being captured at Honsfeld, spent the rest of the war in several German prison camps. The most fascinating part of his story is that he was finally liberated near the very end of the war by his own division! He later described it as a "joyful and often tearful reunion with a lot of good buddies". The 99th was highly decorated. Though young and totally inexperienced (hence the nickname "Battle Babies"), while outnumbered 5 to 1 they inflicted casualties at a rate of 18 to 1 during the early days of the Bulge, and was the first complete division to cross the Rhine at Ludendorff Bridge. On a personal family note, my Mom was expecting (my older brother) at the time and had no idea if my dad was alive or not. And people today are upset about something as simple as having to wear a mask????   

Thanks to all vets today - everywhere - for their service, those both living and no longer here. 🇺🇸

Wow what an incredible sacrifice for the country, is your pops still with us? Please thank him for me.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 9:18 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Our first cruise with the kids and we were on a beach in St. Kitts and my daughter then 10 yo stating that we should make this “Our usual beach”. Thus our addiction to cruising had begun.

I love this!!!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Newleno said:

Wow what an incredible sacrifice for the country, is your pops still with us? Please thank him for me.

Thanks for your kind words. Sadly, no, he passed back in '09 from complications associated with dimentia / COPD. Never talked too much about the war - which is typical of many vets - other than when he prepared a sermon for his church. Besides it being a most interesting review of his entire life, the focus was on relaying his army experience. There were some things I had never heard before. Thankfully, it's preserved on cassette tape. (Really have to transfer it to digital). In his declining years, suffering from severe memory issues and confusion, I'll never forget the one time at his place. DW and my Mom went to the grocery store, so I was with my Dad. Made some lunch for him, and then he got very quiet for a time - with a pensive expression that was common for him. Finally, said..."Well, I'll tell you one thing...war is hell". That was it. I didn't explore it further since, at that point, his mind operated on a primarily moment to moment basis. Had I questioned it, he probably wouldn't have even recalled saying it!  To this day, however, I wonder what he was thinking about just then.

Think of how many untold stories go to the graves along with all the vets who have passed. Very sadly, COVID-19 has really taken a toll on many of them at the various VA hospitals and such.

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

I have posted this a few times...

Our fondest memory was our cruise on the Song of America...yes easily over 20 years ago.  We shared a table for 8 with the most wonderful British couple and the Assistant Captain (not sure if that's the correct title, but that's how he introduced himself). 

The rest of the chairs were filled by various/different entertainers every night.  We also had complimentary wine/alcohol every night, and the best service the entire cruise.........(perhaps because of our tablemates? smile.)  Some of the stories we heard from entertainers and the Asst. Captain were priceless.

We were young, didn't know what we were doing...and thought WOW!, this is the way we want to spend our very limited vacation.  We were hooked.  Sigh...

• Like 1

So many great memories. Particularly loved excursion to the beautiful Jost Van Dyke, BVI. 

And for today, Memorial Day, I honor my uncle (who I never knew) killed-in-action in the Battle of the Bulge in 1945. 🖤

• Like 2

On 5/24/2020 at 7:45 PM, maxcat910 said:

Last year we had an aft balcony and one morning it was clear enough and we could actually see far enough that the ship sailing away from us disappeared from the bottom up. Round earth + relaxing, amazing wake.

Is there a lot of movement in an aft balcony?  I've heard they are great and always wanted to try them.  I have family members who get motion sickness though. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 5:42 AM, OnTheJourney said:

Hmmm..tough question. Different types of cruises hold different feelings and memories. So many good ones. I'm going to expand on the title of the thread in offering several thoughts rather than just trying to pick one. I apologize in advance for the lack of brevity in doing this. 🤭

In a typically sentimental vein, probably a very special memory is our first (ever) cruise when our daughter was quite young. It was only a few days - and in some ways certainly not the best cruise experience I've had especially in terms of interesting ports - but with it being the first time as a family, that made it quite unique and made for some memories that were impossible to duplicate.

Next was probably our Alaska cruise (sorry, not with RCCL) since, again, it was with our daughter. Both of those trips carry memories of some things that have gone the way of the dodo relative to cruising in general; e.g. ice carving demos (older cruisers...remember those??)  and also midnight buffets. You'd get to take pictures of it like an hour before it opened. I just talked about this on another thread somewhere. Some for chocolate buffets. 

Outside of those trips, I'd have to say B2B trips we've done hold a special memory. There is something really cool about watching all the people getting ready to disembark at the end of the first week while you're just leisurely biding your time waiting for the ship to go back out again.

Our first cruise that began in Europe was also great in that it was again just another 'first' of many different types of travel experiences.

Then there are cruises - undoubtedly special to so many here - that truly held unique adventures to some amazing places. For us, that would be Antarctica and the Northern Lights trips.

I think each cruise, though, IS unique in its own way. Everything about it comes together to form an overall impression - itinerary and ports (and anything special about those that happened along the way...wow....I could devote paragraphs to that one), crew, captain, special meals, etc. I have to second what others have said about just being out on the decks - sunrise, sunset, late at night -  that affords an opportunity to be part of something so much larger than ourselves. The quiet and solitude of communing with nature at such times is pretty unforgettable and one of the key things that has drawn me back to sea over the years. 

The more memories, the better.  🙂 

20 hours ago, Daytonasailor said:

Woops, kind of got away from this thread with my last post, sorry. My favorite cruise was our first one. My DW was afraid to cruise in the open ocean. Probably relates to the time we got caught in the tail end of a hurricane while sailing on our catamaran. I was about 45 minutes from Port Canaveral and always wanted to cruise. I saw a special on a 3 day sailing to Nassau and return to PC. A great price and I told her about it, but she still refused to go. I put on my man pants and said OK, I'm going and I'm taking our 16 YO GD. DW finally relented and said she would go. The ship was the Monarch of the Seas and it was the last sailing as RCI had sold the ship. We didn't know it till we were on board. We had the best time and DW stated any time someone puts a napkin in her lap, cooks dinner and brings it to her, she is all in. I guess the only mistake? was being picked for the Love and Marriage game. Our 16 YO GD said she would never look at us the same. Jeeze, they kept playing the show on the TV over and over. But, we all say when we talk about our cruises, that this was the best one.

No worries about getting off topic.  We are free because of the brave. 

Sounds like a great trip.   Your GD will probably have an all new appreciation for the Love & Marriage game as she gets older. 

17 hours ago, frito58 said:

I guess I  sadly in a way to have 2 best memories . My first would be our first cruise out of San Juan on the Adventure of the Sea , Just flying in to San Juan seeing Old San Juan and then seeing the AOS the first time and then all of those southern Caribbean Islands was so much  fun , so great we booked the same cruise one year later opposite route and would come to PR again maybe 5 or 6 more times.  Sadly my wife of 35 years would pass of Brain cancer in 18 . NYE of 19 god would lead me to another great women I would introduce her to cruising and I had never been on a NYE cruise as my wife couldn't travel that time of year. It was truly like starting all over again for me as well .  It was truly a wonderful cruise on  the Carnival Miracle .

You have been very blessed to have 2 great women in your life. Puerto Rico is on my bucket list.   It looks so beautiful. 

9 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

I have posted this a few times...

Our fondest memory was our cruise on the Song of America...yes easily over 20 years ago.  We shared a table for 8 with the most wonderful British couple and the Assistant Captain (not sure if that's the correct title, but that's how he introduced himself). 

The rest of the chairs were filled by various/different entertainers every night.  We also had complimentary wine/alcohol every night, and the best service the entire cruise.........(perhaps because of our tablemates? smile.)  Some of the stories we heard from entertainers and the Asst. Captain were priceless.

We were young, didn't know what we were doing...and thought WOW!, this is the way we want to spend our very limited vacation.  We were hooked.  Sigh...

There are worse things to be  hooked on.  😉

My best memory was our cruise on Monarch of the Seas. I don't even know why, really. It was just a special ship, our most memorable cruise. Things were just done right, back then. The windjammer had this magnificent waterfall from that deck to the deck below, it was amazing. I also loved the alfresco Windjammer dining. I'll never forget that cruise, or that ship.

• Like 1

To all service members out there, men and women, past and present. Thank you! I can't say it loud enough, or proud enough. THANK YOU!! Our nation's flag flies high and proud because of you. If I haven't said it already, thank you.

• Like 4

My favourite memory was when I went sailing with my aunt and uncle 15 years ago. For some unknown reason it was a very relaxing cruise. Usually you get screaming kids and stuffed swimming pools but this time it was undoubtly relaxing. I also tried my first margarita. What a great memory 

• Like 1

We have been blessed to have been cruising for 20 plus years.  Our first cruise on Celebrity's Galaxy was magical. It opened up a whole new world for us. So much so,  my sister's family and ours sailed the next year on the Century. The best memory on that was the embarkation. As we reached the top of the escalator , the kids looked out the window at the huge ship and all nearly screamed! They had no idea it was such a big ship (by 1990's standards!!)  We had prepared our children all summer long for table manners at a formal dinner. They were told, this is your chance to try new things to eat and explore the cultures of the world. One night they served escargot. Ready to heed Mom's advice, they ordered the Ox tail soup and escargot.  After eating it all, (remember your table manners...eat what you order!) they looked at me and asked why I didn't order the escargot. I emphatically stated, I wouldn't eat snails for anything.  You should have seen their faces!  BUT, they still eat them to this day when cruising!! 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 8:51 AM, mailmama said:

We have been blessed to have been cruising for 20 plus years.  Our first cruise on Celebrity's Galaxy was magical. It opened up a whole new world for us. So much so,  my sister's family and ours sailed the next year on the Century. The best memory on that was the embarkation. As we reached the top of the escalator , the kids looked out the window at the huge ship and all nearly screamed! They had no idea it was such a big ship (by 1990's standards!!)  We had prepared our children all summer long for table manners at a formal dinner. They were told, this is your chance to try new things to eat and explore the cultures of the world. One night they served escargot. Ready to heed Mom's advice, they ordered the Ox tail soup and escargot.  After eating it all, (remember your table manners...eat what you order!) they looked at me and asked why I didn't order the escargot. I emphatically stated, I wouldn't eat snails for anything.  You should have seen their faces!  BUT, they still eat them to this day when cruising!! 

Yeah.   My kids eat stuff that I wouldn't.  

On 5/26/2020 at 4:11 AM, Mallefiscent said:

Is there a lot of movement in an aft balcony?  I've heard they are great and always wanted to try them.  I have family members who get motion sickness though. 

Ever since our first aft balcony - we always dive for those first. Very little motion out aft, just some warped shaft harmonic rumbling, but awesome.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 4:11 AM, Mallefiscent said:

Not at all for us. And I'm prone to motion sickness too. I brought dramamine and ginger with me but didn't need either of them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, johnjen said:

Ever since our first aft balcony - we always dive for those first. Very little motion out aft, just some warped shaft harmonic rumbling, but awesome.

I didn't used to be big on balconies and the extra that they cost as I spend little time in the cabin. But it seems that more and more I enjoy a private retreat away from the general commotion of the ship. For me it is becoming more of a necessity as time goes on. I haven't done an aft yet though. 

• Like 3