Accessible Cabins

ToxM

Hi Saga experts!

Considering accompanying my mum on a Saga cruise when we are able. We will be hiring a mobility scooter for her to use during the cruise. Are there specific accessible cabins that we need to book? I had a look at a couple of vids of the standard cabins and I am not sure there is going be anywhere a MS could be easily stored.

Doing a couple of mock bookings, I didnt see anywhere to notify that we would need an accessible cabin?

Thanks in advance for any advice/info.

Have your tried calling them and asking? Their web site is fine for straightforward bookings but I get the impression they're more geared up for phone bookings so that they can discuss what their prospective customers want. We've sailed with them twice, booking once online and once by phone, and found they have all the time in the world to discuss the finer details of bookings over the phone.

• Like 1

Yes, you will need to book an accessible cabin, and Kentchris had the best idea as they will go through the available grades and availabilities of cabin to suit you.

From the cruise on the Discovery, talking to people nearby, wheelchairs and walking frames could be put in the doorway during the day, but had to be kept in the cabin overnight, not sure if mobility scooters would have to go in the cabin or kept elsewhere and brought back and forth to you by crew (there were definitely mobility scooters on board the Discovery).

That is something else that you need to ask Saga, as if so it may mean you want to try and book a larger (deluxe) cabin.

The other thing to be wary of is that port days may be restricted -  tender ports may not be possible, and your mum will need to be able to walk up and down the gangway, albeit with your assistance and/or a frame/sticks, as she will almost certainly not be allowed (on any ship) to ride a a mobility scooter up or down the gangway, then the scooter is brought down/taken up separately for her - (usually see the crew doing this, although the booking conditions do say that crew are not permitted to assist.).

Likewise, in the dining rooms, you and the staff will assist your mum from the scooter to her chair and take the scooter out of the way, then bring it back when you are ready to leave.

One of the reasons that Saga take so long to answer the phone is that when somebody has questions they will, as Kentchris says, take all the time needed to go through and help you get the information you need.

They may even be able to recommend a scooter hire company which will bring a suitable scooter to the ship and collect it afterwards - you never know.

• Like 1

Thank you both for your replies, mum is ringing Saga this afternoon - I think youa re right about the deluxe. Moving between dining room and table wouldn’t be an issue and she understands tenders wouldn’t be possible and that going ashore might be an issue - shes all about enjoying the ship. 

Thanks again 🙂

We had an accessible cabin on Discovery, as I have a manual wheelchair. There are only 10 on each ship, so you need to book early.

The cabins are wider than a normal cabin, so plenty of room for a scooter. You have to keep it in your cabin. In an emergency it would be a hazard if left in the corridor. I wasn’t keen on the big ramp on the balcony as it took up so much room. I don’t need my wheelchair in the cabin.

There is an automatic push button entry door and lots of techy stuff, like usb plugs by the bed.

There were no armchairs because of the layout of the cabin differs from the normal.

A big wet room with seat, grab rails etc. Dim nightlight around bathroom mirror, very useful and push buttons for lights etc. But a bit short on storage in the bathroom.

The corridors seem slightly wider than normal, so easy to get around and didn’t have to wait ages for an empty lift.

Staff are lovely, kind and helpful, and the food divine, especially in the steak house.

We went to Norway and one of the ports was a tender which I got on Ok, you have to pass a step test first. But I don’t think they would take a scooter. My wheelchair folds and is very light.
Loved this beautiful ship.
Any other questions please ask.

Edited by silversurf1
Additions
  • Like 1

We had an accessible cabin on Discovery, as I have a manual wheelchair. There are only 10 on each ship, so you need to book early.
The cabins are wider than a normal cabin, so plenty of room for a scooter. You have to keep it in your cabin. In an emergency it would be a hazard if left in the corridor. I wasn’t keen on the big ramp on the balcony as it took up so much room. I don’t need my wheelchair in the cabin.
There is an automatic push button entry door and lots of techy stuff, like usb plugs by the bed.
There were no armchairs because of the layout of the cabin differs from the normal.
A big wet room with seat, grab rails etc. Dim nightlight around bathroom mirror, very useful and push buttons for lights etc. But a bit short on storage in the bathroom.
The corridors seem slightly wider than normal, so easy to get around and didn’t have to wait ages for an empty lift.
Staff are lovely, kind and helpful, and the food divine, especially in the steak house.
We went to Norway and one of the ports was a tender which I got on Ok, you have to pass a step test first. But I don’t think they would take a scooter. My wheelchair folds and is very light.
Loved this beautiful ship.
Any other questions please ask.

This is very useful thank you so much!