Now is a really good time to redeem frequent flier and hotel points

Mercruiser

If you are even remotely considering a big trip, perhaps to FP, or elsewhere, this is a really good time to book a frequent flier award and/or free hotel night on points. I just moved my French Polynesia air and hotel booking from Oct/Nov 2020 to February 2021, as part of my switch from a cancelled Pacific Princess FP cruise to a Windstar FP cruise in February.

I am pleased to find better frequent flier award availability than ever before. Furthermore, American Airlines, whose miles I am using to book Air Tahiti Nui, has eliminated fees for frequent flier award changes. Previously, they would charge fees if you cancelled, changed the date, or routing.

Lastly, I was surprised to find a five night award stay available at the Hilton/Conrad in Bora Bora. I booked this as soon as I saw it. For anyone into frequent guest points, Bora Bora is the Holy Grail of hotel award redemptions.

Lastly, cash prices are really low right now and most everyone is offering flexible cancellation options, including cruise lines and most airlines. So even if my February trip has to be cancelled, I will not lose any money (barring a bankruptcy).

We were booked on Nov 4, plus a 5-night pre-stay at the Hilton Moorea. I decided to rebook in Feb on a Windstar cruise. It's a better time of year for me, and has a really great price on a very interesting itinerary. The 5-night pre-stay in Bora Bora is a nice bonus.

On 5/23/2020 at 9:36 PM, Mercruiser said:

If you are even remotely considering a big trip, perhaps to FP, or elsewhere, this is a really good time to book a frequent flier award and/or free hotel night on points. I just moved my French Polynesia air and hotel booking from Oct/Nov 2020 to February 2021, as part of my switch from a cancelled Pacific Princess FP cruise to a Windstar FP cruise in February.

I am pleased to find better frequent flier award availability than ever before. Furthermore, American Airlines, whose miles I am using to book Air Tahiti Nui, has eliminated fees for frequent flier award changes. Previously, they would charge fees if you cancelled, changed the date, or routing.

What is the date on February 21 on Windstar?  We  booked Feb 11 on Wind Spirit. I decide to change from 7 days cruise in March to 11 days in February

Yes, I agree AA has plenty frequent flier award from LAX-PPT.  I redeem them for 2 premium economy on Air Tahiti Nui.  I was so surprise to find that it was so easy to find the award seat.   From what I read it seem like to award flight to Tahiti is very hard to find.  

14 hours ago, travelbug2225 said:

What is the date on February 21 on Windstar?  We  booked Feb 11 on Wind Spirit. I decide to change from 7 days cruise in March to 11 days in February

We are booked on the same cruise: Feb 11, 11-night. With these low prices, I really wanted to go on a longer cruise. 7-days seems too short, given the extensive travel required.

• 1 month later...

I have booked a few of my excursions.  Normally, I'd have them all planned and booked by now. But with the Covid uncertainty and a few non-responsive vendors, I'm way behind what I normally have planned by now.

I've rebooked some of my tours from my cancelled Nov 2020 Princess cruise to my new Windstar Feb 2021 cruise:

• 6-Passengers snorkelling in Rangiroa
  • H2O 1/2 Day Snorkel tour in Bora Bora

I tried rescheduling Patricks in Bora Bora, but he does not take individual bookings for Windstar passengers. Says I need to put a group together. Probably should create a Roll-Call to see if we can get a group together.

I am booked at the Conrad in BB for 5 nights pre-cruise. I have not bought my tickets to FP yet.

Edited by Mercruiser

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 8:32 AM, Mercruiser said:

I have booked a few of my excursions.  Normally, I'd have them all planned and booked by now. But with the Covid uncertainty and a few non-responsive vendors, I'm way behind what I normally have planned by now.

I've rebooked some of my tours from my cancelled Nov 2020 Princess cruise to my new Windstar Feb 2021 cruise:

• 6-Passengers snorkelling in Rangiroa
  • H2O 1/2 Day Snorkel tour in Bora Bora

I tried rescheduling Patricks in Bora Bora, but he does not take individual bookings for Windstar passengers. Says I need to put a group together. Probably should create a Roll-Call to see if we can get a group together.

I am booked at the Conrad in BB for 5 nights pre-cruise. I have not bought my tickets to FP yet.

What’s the minimum people that Patrick in Bora Bora need?  I just start a roll call maybe more people join and we might be able to create a group. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 8:32 AM, Mercruiser said:

@Mercruiser I contact Patrick in Bora Bora.  We can have a private group of 4.  Would you like to join us?  I will also post information on a roll call. 

On 9/18/2020 at 10:28 PM, travelbug2225 said:

@Mercruiser I contact Patrick in Bora Bora.  We can have a private group of 4.  Would you like to join us?  I will also post information on a roll call. 

Yes I would.

Sorry for the delayed response. Not been on CC this week. Start a roll-call and I'll join you there.

• 3 weeks later...

As you may have seen in my other thread, I've decided to switch from a FP cruise, to a resort vacation on Moorea and Bora Bora. As I mentioned in the original post, frequent guest/mile awards in FP have much better availability compared to normal times. I just booked two business class tickets on the overnight ATN flight using AA miles. Last time I did that, I had to book 330 days out. This time it is for February. There is also lots of economy and premium economy space on many days.

I don't have any United miles, but their cash prices are amazingly low. SFO to PPT runs about $370 economy class. PPT to SFO is about $100 cheaper. The nice thing about United is that their one-way tickets are cheap. This is handy if you want to fly one-way on points and pay cash for the other direction. ATN requires a RT to get a decent rate. I also like that the SFO to PPT is a daytime flight. It's much easier for me to sit in a coach seat if it's a daytime flight.

The IC Resort Tahiti and IC Le Moana Bora Bora seem to have very good award availability. 

Edited by Mercruiser