When do you think you'll cruise again?

grest

As it is Mrs K just reached the halfway point of a 2-year post-graduate course.  By happen chance a quirk in her class schedule earlier this year allowed us to squeeze in an 11-day cruise this past January.  We knew at the time she’d be in for the long haul with no reasonable cruise opportunity until after graduation in July 2021.   I had offered Mrs K her number bucket list Baltic cruise as her graduation gift and were watching a number of August-September 2021 itineraries when Covid-19 hit.   That’s still a possibility we’ll take one of those cruises but quite honestly we’ve gone to a wait and see mode rather than booking right now.   Just too many unknowns.

Edited by Randyk47

I had a serious health issue while on the Koningsdam in November and we had to fly home from Rome (missed the last 13 days of the cruise).   It cost us thousands of dollars for medical care on the ship and many more thousands to fly home at the last minute.   Still waiting for my insurance company to reimburse me.

We have an Hawaii/Mexican Riviera cruise booked for November with HAL but unless there is an effective vaccination and we can get travel insurance we will have to cancel that cruise.

9 hours ago, grest said:

Just wondering what people are thinking about when to board another ship....missing it!

When it will start probably spring of 2021, that is a longtime away, I think a few brands will be gone for good.

Optimists will hope for Fall, but w/o a high efficacy vaccine that is given to all likely no way they allow a ship with thousands that are effectively all this in one: shopping mall, dining, buffets, sports gathering, plane proximity, gym, bar.   

Can't see any country letting that happen and then it rides up to dock and let's those thousand out.  

Of course we have Florida and Georgia opened and no explosion of cases, so maybe this was all overblown to begin with by the left folks, a conspiracy OMG, LOL

We will book a cruise again WHEN we are comfortable that the cruise line will be solvent enough to refund our deposit (In a timely manner) IF something happens and we (or the cruise line) cancels the cruise.  Too many "ugh knowns" right now in the world to give ANY company my money for a long (and maybe permanent) period of time. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FredT said:

We will book a cruise again WHEN we are comfortable that the cruise line will be solvent enough to refund our deposit (In a timely manner) IF something happens and we (or the cruise line) cancels the cruise.  Too many "ugh knowns" right now in the world to give ANY company my money for a long (and maybe permanent) period of time. 

I have to agree.  We will not even consider cruising until all money has been refunded.

We're booked on the Amsterdam 2020 holiday cruise (Caribbean) and are hopeful it will (safely) sail. From all accounts, it appears the Amsterdam will be put into extended layup phase soon and sit idle for quite awhile. With the Grand Africa canceled and the 2021 WC set to sail immediately afterwards, we're thinking the holiday cruise will be likely to sail, if only for a shakedown cruise prior to "the big show" WC. 

Fingers crossed that situation improves, either with a vaccine or herd immunity, very soon. We miss cruising, but will not go back until it is safer.

We have an Antarctica, Chilean Fjords and Falkland Islands cruise booked for January 2022 with Hurtigruten for 18 days. I'm guessing cruising will back to some kind of normality by that time.....I hope!!

Rick

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Of course we have Florida and Georgia opened and no explosion of cases, so maybe this was all overblown to begin with by the left folks, a conspiracy OMG, LOL

Hmmmm

Actually, the Swedish government recently released the results of its antibody test. The results indicated that only 7.3% of the Stockholm population had been infected. Only a quarter of what the government has been expected. Its a death blow to the herd immunity strategy.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/just-7-3-stockholm-had-135303599.html

In the natural world, animals have no cognizance of the danger. Infected animals socialize and spread the disease to the local population, and into the regional population. Through natural selection, immune animals survive the cull and eventually breed a (mostly) immune population.

Modern humans have science and global communications. They are aware of the danger. As they hear of the dead and maimed, their sense of self preservation makes them more cautious and less likely to be infected.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/18/havens-dr-atul-gawande-coronavirus-spread-can-be-slowed-if-60percent-of-people-wear-masks.html

We're seeing that in Sweden, UK and the red states. That's why the epidemic has not exploded, and will drag on for a long period of time. Most people are listening to the like of Dr. Fauci and are protecting themselves.

Once covid reaches a significant level, the humans will lock themselves down. You can keep the cinemas open. But, few will come. You can keep the offices and factories open, but there will be mass desertions if these places are not safe.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/three-new-covid-19-deaths-in-alberta-as-union-pushes-to-keep-cargill-closed/ar-BB13ugsZ

The only way that a modern human society can be quickly infected is if the population is forcible exposed to the disease. Would you be willing to let that happen?

Edited by HappyInVan

Not contemplating cruising at all going forward.

Our household and friends are pouring over land tour options with customized pre and post - including private drivers and "mighty trains" in some locales.

Any ship will be expedition only. The main cruise lines are not  being considered for many reasons excluding the virus.

Probably not in a long while.   I have what Dr. Birx calls a "co-morbidity illness" (hate that term) and I'm afraid that if the Covid-19 catches up with me the outcome won't end well.

Everyone else can do what they want, when they want, and suffer the consequences or not, but when the all clear comes for my state I'm still not going to the mall, restaurants, museums, gym, theater, etc. and most of all on a cruise.  

I'm hopefully waiting for a vaccine.  But then again the anti-vaxers will begin their protests...

No idea.  Not enough data.   A guess might be 2022.  We have little confidence in the cruise lines to place our health and well being above their financials.   

Until we know more it will be land vacations for us.

As soon as they sail again, we will book to go asap.

not only for our enjoyment, But  also to support my friends at HAL. That is a personal choice .

btw: those hoping that by the end of the year you will have access to wide-availability Covid19 vaccinations are living in Dreamland. Not gonna happen sorry. Those who say so have political motivations and are simply lying, which is simply disgusting. There might be a developed vaccine by that time, although highly doubtful, but marketing and distributing it to the main population is a whole different beast altogether. 
we even have huge trouble getting facemasks to everyone. How will they produce hundreds of millions of vaccines within mere weeks after approval is granted... let alone vaccinating hundreds of millions of people in hospitals by trained personnel.

At least here in Europe, the authorities are not lying to their citizens and telling them as it is. Vaccine? Maybe early 2021. We in Belgium And our Belgian pharma companies are by the way front runners in vaccination and are doing trials right now. But distribution is first to healthcare personnel, then to those most at risk, meaning nursing homes, respiratory illness patients, cancer patients etc. and ONLY THEN to the general public. This will take time. Saying differently is almost as criminal as suggesting to drink bleach.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Back at the end of 2019 I booked a cruise for January 2021.  When this virus stuff reared its ugly head I thought, no problem, we'll be clear to sail by then.  Now I'm not so sure.

• Like 2

Because of this thread and my earlier post about our future cruise plans, of which there are technically none right now, I brought the subject up again with Mrs K.  As I mentioned before her number one bucket list cruise is the Baltic with a stop in St Petersburg.   There are a few cruises in late summer/early fall 2021 that would be great.  I mentioned to her we could book one now and that led to a discussion of a deposit or the option to pay the full fare now and garner a 10% early payment discount from the cruise line.   Her answer was a very quick and strong no.   Yes both booking options would be refundable but she said she wasn’t ready to risk any amount and certainly not a full prepayment.   End of discussion.  🥴😬

We have five cruises booked for 2021: January 2021 Maasdam Sydney to Singapore (I expect it to cancelled, though, because I think Australia won't be open to [American] tourists by then and HAL will need to cancel the 2020/21 Australia season); May and June 2021 Westerdam in Mediterranean (I'm guessing 25% chance these will be cancelled), and August 2021 in Iceland and September 2021 Veendam in UK (I feel confident these will take place).  I don't expect a medically viable vaccine to be widely available any time this year or even early next year.

Sadly, we had five cruises cancelled in 2020--the "Year that Wasn't"...

23 hours ago, RGEDad said:

Just booked for Sept 25, 2021 around Hawaii. Figured by then this thing had better be contained, controlled, or vaccinated. If not - will not matter as we will be totally lock-down stir crazy and it will not matter. 

That cruise was about as far out as the cancelled 2020 cruise FCC would let us book, and the cruise is mainly US states. If the pandemic gods smile down on us, and we get this under control earlier - we will consider an additional earlier cruise.

We are going to Hawaii in September hopefully too. If that one gets cancelled, we have a British Isles cruise in June 2021. I feel Hawaii is only a 50/50 chance and we won't mind too much if it gets scrubbed. 

55 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

Because of this thread and my earlier post about our future cruise plans, of which there are technically none right now, I brought the subject up again with Mrs K.  As I mentioned before her number one bucket list cruise is the Baltic with a stop in St Petersburg.   There are a few cruises in late summer/early fall 2021 that would be great.  I mentioned to her we could book one now and that led to a discussion of a deposit or the option to pay the full fare now and garner a 10% early payment discount from the cruise line.   Her answer was a very quick and strong no.   Yes both booking options would be refundable but she said she wasn’t ready to risk any amount and certainly not a full prepayment.   End of discussion.  🥴😬

I do wonder if we will see fewer Americans on our cruise in Europe next year. I could see that Americans will choose to only visit Canada and the states for the near future and Europeans might do the same too, only cruise to their neighboring nations.