When do you think you'll cruise again?

grest

1 hour ago, iancal said:

Where we live the Health Authority is distributing masks to everyone.   Drive up windows in several restaurant chains have agreed to be a distribution point. 

Moreover, last night the Director of Public Health in our area made the comment that she believes masks will be required until we either get an available vaccine or a product that will negate the virus.

Alberta is going a good job of this.  I'd like to see BC do the same.

Alberta is doing a good job.   Alas, some people in the Province are ignoring the recommendations with an alarming outcome.  At least 10 new cases from 2 seperate family gatherings.   Not to mention the crowds at the large anti racist demonstration in Calgary yesterday.  Not silly....dangerous.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/deena-hinshaw-chief-medical-officer-covid-19-coronavirus-1.5593355

We have relatively good stats so far however I am amazed by the number of people who think that we are past this.  Nothing could be further from the truth and that attitude is very dangerous to everyone else.  The real challenge is that we cannot fix stupid.

This is a great example of why we have absolutely no intention of booking or taking a cruise in the near future.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

On 6/1/2020 at 10:21 AM, HappyInVan said:

Right.

Back in March, the policy was social distancing and the lock-down. Back then, Fauci was talking about the benefits of the mask to the wearer. Limited unless you have a N95 respirator.

Today,  we are easing lock-down. How do we protect ourselves when we can't maintain distance?

Simple, my mask protects you. Your mask protects me. Together we protect everyone. That's if everyone is wearing a mass in crowds. That's why masks will be needed on cruise ships and buses.

Many people fail to understand cause and effect.

We have a severe public health problem.

https://ca.style.yahoo.com/coronavirus-covid19-ventilator-body-physique-094048638.html

The economic problem follows as a consequence of not squashing the epidemic. China is in a V-shape recovery. May see a small growth this year. That's because they quickly quarantined 5% of their population. Leaving life to go on for the other 95%.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/01/china-is-seeing-a-v-shaped-recovery-but-that-may-not-be-global-norm.html

On the other hand, the lack of testing capacity in the States meant that the states had no idea of how bad it was. So, many states had a blanket lockdown.

http://gatton.uky.edu/about-us/stay-connected/news/2020/new-study-suggests-us-covid-19-cases-could-have-been-35-times

San Francisco county had a shelter-in-place policy. Deaths only 42. New York state started slowly with a soft lockdown. Deaths 23k.

In every state where the epidemic was raging, a weak response meant more lives lost. Until the entire continental USA gets the epidemic under control, cruising will be unsafe. And, the economy sputters as people lack confidence.

Even Hawaii (only 17 deaths) is afraid to admit people from North America.

Cause and effect!

Those who disparage social distancing and mask wearing -- they know who they are -- should read this recent piece from the Lancet (a peer-reviewed medical journal).

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31183-1/fulltext 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

For those wondering about herd immunity ie Sweden it is very interesting to look at the comparison between Alberta and Sweden which had 12 to 18 times higher rates without lockdown.  

https://www.alberta.ca/assets/documents/covid19-cases-alberta-vs-sweden.pdf

The difference in cases is one thing but the difference in deaths is staggering.

I agree with the masks and social distancing,  none of us can afford to be smug.  This is not over.  I am fearful of the second wave with so may not respecting distancing and just wanting to get back to normal.    

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I agree with the masks and social distancing,  none of us can afford to be smug.  This is not over.  I am fearful of the second wave with so may not respecting distancing and just wanting to get back to normal.    

bennybear,

I do agree with you. We just came back from our local park after walking our little Paisley and we wear our masks keep social distancing and people on bikes no mask riding by you, people walking no masks. Here in San Diego especially the young ones don’t care or our skateboarders who have a skate park here that is still closed but they break the barriers down to skate and no masks.I want it back to normal but I will respect others with a mask.

Denise😊

• Like 3

I'll cruise as soon as my schedule allows. I was supposed to be on one in Alaska later this month. I am booked on one for January 2021 in the Caribbean, and rebooked Alaska for June 2021. I don't think my schedule will allow for any cruises prior to January, but if it does, I'll try to be on one.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

bennybear,

I do agree with you. We just came back from our local park after walking our little Paisley and we wear our masks keep social distancing and people on bikes no mask riding by you, people walking no masks. Here in San Diego especially the young ones don’t care or our skateboarders who have a skate park here that is still closed but they break the barriers down to skate and no masks.I want it back to normal but I will respect others with a mask.

Denise😊

If there are no others around you to 'respect', then there is no reason to wear a mask. I live in San Diego too, and where I walk each day, I rarely see anybody the whole time I'm out; so again, no need for a mask (and I'm not young). Even in the rare situation where I do happen to see someone, I am easily able to alter my path to maintain safe physical distancing.

And that is the county requirement. Maintain safe physical distancing if you are out in public. If you're able to do that, then a mask is not required. 'Respect' does not enter the equation..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

I am easily able to alter my path to maintain safe physical distancing.

I live in NW Washington state.  I've been so pleased to see walkers cross the street if they see me outside gardening.  I don't care that they aren't wearing masks, they're still thinking of my safety.  Also masks are required in our stores plus 6 feet minimum distance.  Other than some kids who are out skateboarding etc. (like Denise mentioned) our area is doing very well.

• Like 1

Krooznut I also agree with you! I live n Leucadia where surfers, bikers, walkers,

skateboarders are everywhere. It is very hard to keep distances from one another on 101. Living up on Neptune one way street heading to Grandview everyone is up here which is great but the majority are very young trying to get down the cliffs to surf. Our local sheriffs are trying to disperse crowds but it is hard. As a DDS for me a mask is something I will  wear when social distancing  can’t happen and 

hard to change a habit I have worked with LOL!

Have a great day

Denise😊

• Like 1

I noticed today that HAL has changed it message on its website.  The alert now states,

"We are currently assessing enhanced health and safety protocols in light of COVID-19 and how they may impact our future offerings. Our actual offerings may vary from what is displayed or described here..."

Kinda makes booking future cruises a challenge as it is almost impossible to determine whether an advertised cruise is an actual offering.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Krooznut I also agree with you! I live n Leucadia where surfers, bikers, walkers,

skateboarders are everywhere. It is very hard to keep distances from one another on 101. Living up on Neptune one way street heading to Grandview everyone is up here which is great but the majority are very young trying to get down the cliffs to surf. Our local sheriffs are trying to disperse crowds but it is hard. As a DDS for me a mask is something I will  wear when social distancing  can’t happen and 

hard to change a habit I have worked with LOL!

Have a great day

Denise😊

We're in 4S Ranch Denise, and it's a whole different situation here, but I know how the beach areas can get sometimes, so I hear you.

And I very much appreciated the fact that my dentist wore a mask when he cleaned my teeth yesterday! 😷😁

Enjoy your next sailing... ours is in March '21! 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I live in NW Washington state.  I've been so pleased to see walkers cross the street if they see me outside gardening.  I don't care that they aren't wearing masks, they're still thinking of my safety.  Also masks are required in our stores plus 6 feet minimum distance.  Other than some kids who are out skateboarding etc. (like Denise mentioned) our area is doing very well.

I walk pretty much every day on neighborhood trails and parks.  I always  wear a mask indoors with the exception of my house and my office in the fire house.  I virtually never wear a mask outdoors and perhaps 50% of the people I see walking do.  If I meet somebody on the trail I will briefly cover my face, especially if the other person is wearing a mask.  If 6 feet is a minimum distance with a mask I assume it is appropriate somewhere between 200 and 10 feet away without one.  I have seen people I passed on the trail thanking me for putting on the mask as we passed.

Roy

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

If I meet somebody on the trail I will briefly cover my face

That is what our DSIL has taught our grandsons to do.  He's a PA in the Seattle area and has taught them well. One day an "older man" saw them and said "you don't have to be afraid".  I'm so proud of our 6-year-old grandson, he politely told the man they weren't afraid, they were protecting him.  🙂  I'm not sure the man "got it" but I hope so. 

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

That is what our DSIL has taught our grandsons to do.  He's a PA in the Seattle area and has taught them well. One day an "older man" saw them and said "you don't have to be afraid".  I'm so proud of our 6-year-old grandson, he politely told the man they weren't afraid, they were protecting him.  🙂  I'm not sure the man "got it" but I hope so. 

Wow! That brought tears to my eyes. He has been taught well and he's learned well, also.

Thank your grandsons and your DSIL and DD for me. 

The only way senors with health conditions will be able to live a semi-normal life in the pandemic days, will be because of people like them. I appreciate their efforts for my health. 

8 minutes ago, wombatKY said:

Wow! That brought tears to my eyes. He has been taught well and he's learned well, also.

Thank your grandsons and your DSIL and DD for me. 

The only way senors with health conditions will be able to live a semi-normal life in the pandemic days, will be because of people like them. I appreciate their efforts for my health. 

Thank you so much.   I'm very proud of them and will tell them what you said.  Because of our DSIL's job, we haven't hugged our grandsons in over 3 months now.  I know it's hard on them too, but they've been taught so well from their parents, they do understand  even at their tender ages that it's to protect their Nana and Grandpa.  🙂

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you so much.   I'm very proud of them and will tell them what you said.  Because of our DSIL's job, we haven't hugged our grandsons in over 3 months now.  I know it's hard on them too, but they've been taught so well from their parents, they do understand  even at their tender ages that it's to protect their Nana and Grandpa.  🙂

You should be!. Please tell them that there are people that appreciate their selfless actions.

We came home Feb. 19 after traveling since the first week of December and haven't touched our only granddaughter(turning 8 this week!) since then. She is an only child and she is afraid to make her Oma and Opa sick. I hate that she is living with this burden, but I would hate, even worse, that she would spend her lifetime thinking her actions had caused one or both of her grandparents to lose their life or be very, very sick and on a ventilator for weeks.

We've never been lucking in Vegas and our family motto has always been "Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong". (You can all blame me for the stock price!) We don't usually suffer from viruses very often, but I'm not willing to roll the dice this time.

Stay safe!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Smart grandchildren! Such a delight to read about. 

• Like 3