RCCL Excursion assistance

MCManders99

I know it’s a long time away and things can definitely change but has anyone had any experience with any of these specific excursions? These are the three that caught my eye in the cruise planner. We are a family of 4 and the kids will be 10  & 13. The 10 year old has high functioning autism but is very adventurous. I am considering a dune buggy tour in St. Kitts so a water excursion would be cool. We have been St Thomas before and did the Island tour and been to Emerald Beach 2X. DH does not like just sitting at a beach so need some activity. We will be on Oasis in April 2021. 

Caribbean Sail To Christmas & Honeymoon Coves

St. John Half Day Champagne Cat Sail Beach & Snorkel

Secret Sands Beach Exclusive And Skyline Drive

You can find tons of info on these and other excursions just by entering the various terms in the Search field. And these posts make for great reading while waiting for your cruise to be scheduled...

Lots of good info in “them thare” threads! 😃

Edited by blue_water

Lindquist is arguably the nicest beach on STT, and I believe the cruise line excursions include lounges and drinks. However it is a short day and more popular with folks also looking for shopping or exploring Charlotte Amalie. So for a nice beach day you could grab a lunch and drinks and just taxi there with no lounges. But not a very adventurous day for DH and the kids...

For a water activity I think your first two choices are both very good and although we have not taken either I have read great reviews for both. Friends and other folks we’ve met on this forum consider the STJ Champagne Cat excursion one of their favorite excursions, especially for families. This daysail is an extremely popular excursion and I often see it is sold out.

They say the cat is very nice with great reviews for the crew (at least pre-COVID-19). You sail to Caneel Bay and moor off the cays near Honeymoon Beach for the snorkeling. You can choose to snorkel in the deeper water there, or the crew will take you by dinghy in to the beach to relax there or snorkel closer to the shoreline. Depending on when you go and the sea conditions then, the current can be very swift, and when we were on a sailboat in the same place Honeymoon Beach was almost entirely covered in water. But this is when we were staying on STT in January, and there were very high swells that particular month. Normally it is a great spot for off-the-boat snorkeling, and Honeymoon Beach is a lovely, less crowded beach.

I’m sure others who have taken the other excursion can give you their feedback. For St Kitts  we would choose a cat sail there but you do want to plan different activities and STT is another great daysail port. Does the cruise you are considering include to Maarten or Tortola? I ask only because there are amazing cat sail excursions from Tortola to “Treasure Island” (Norman Island) and other snorkel spots with tales of the pirate history that kids would enjoy. And the Golden Eagle daysail on SXM is one of our favorites.

Your time in port may allow for other more adventurous excursions, even including a powerboat excursion to the BVI! So if a 10 hr or longer port time be sure to check back - enjoy your research!

Edited by blue_water

9 hours ago, blue_water said:

Lindquist is arguably the nicest beach on STT, and I believe the cruise line excursions include lounges and drinks. However it is a short day and more popular with folks also looking for shopping or exploring Charlotte Amalie. So for a nice beach day you could grab a lunch and drinks and just taxi there with no lounges. But not a very adventurous day for DH and the kids...

For a water activity I think your first two choices are both very good and although we have not taken either I have read great reviews for both. Friends and other folks we’ve met on this forum consider the STJ Champagne Cat excursion one of their favorite excursions, especially for families. This daysail is an extremely popular excursion and I often see it is sold out.

They say the cat is very nice with great reviews for the crew (at least pre-COVID-19). You sail to Caneel Bay and moor off the cays near Honeymoon Beach for the snorkeling. You can choose to snorkel in the deeper water there, or the crew will take you by dinghy in to the beach to relax there or snorkel closer to the shoreline. Depending on when you go and the sea conditions then, the current can be very swift, and when we were on a sailboat in the same place Honeymoon Beach was almost entirely covered in water. But this is when we were staying on STT in January, and there were very high swells that particular month. Normally it is a great spot for off-the-boat snorkeling, and Honeymoon Beach is a lovely, less crowded beach.

I’m sure others who have taken the other excursion can give you their feedback. For St Kitts  we would choose a cat sail there but you do want to plan different activities and STT is another great daysail port. Does the cruise you are considering include to Maarten or Tortola? I ask only because there are amazing cat sail excursions from Tortola to “Treasure Island” (Norman Island) and other snorkel spots with tales of the pirate history that kids would enjoy. And the Golden Eagle daysail on SXM is one of our favorites.

Your time in port may allow for other more adventurous excursions, even including a powerboat excursion to the BVI! So if a 10 hr or longer port time be sure to check back - enjoy your research!

Thank you, lots to research and plenty of time to do it 😁 I’m even considering private excursions as well as I read more of these boards. With my son, I am always concerned of large group, not that he doesn’t do well, sometimes people are more in a hurry when there are more people and my guy can be slower to adjust like getting off the boat to snorkel. Our time in St Thomas is 7-4. So if I book privately probably a half day tour would be good. Shopping not too important, may just grab a couple tshirts for the kids, my daughter loves del sol. 
just St Kitts and St Thomas and then CocoCay for this cruise. We’ve been to St. Maarten a couple times and my DH loves Maho Beach since he is a pilot and flown into that airport before. 

Yes I understand, many of the crews are really great and do spend time with guests who are hesitant to get in the water or just don’t want to be in the crowd. We were on a snorkel excursion in Aruba and one guest recently had a close friend drown, and had never been in the ocean before, at all, but had always dreamed of snorkeling. The staff was so caring and patient and that made all the difference. We much prefer private excursions for the more personal experience and you can often have more input on the itinerary. But many of the independents in STT - whether booked through the ship or privately - take small groups of 6 - 8 ppl which would is different from other big cruise ship ports...