snorkeling in Galapagos - prescription mask?

Hi,

I'll be going to Galapagos as soon our canceled/rescheduled trip can be done! But I am thinking of getting a prescription mask.

I can see far; but I can't see intermediate or close. I've had cataract surgery in both eyes; and chose the distance option; so distance in both is fine.

does anyone have any experience with getting a prescription mask for snorkeling?

This mask will be used for this ONE trip only.

I bought a bifocal mask from somewhere; but I think I'm going to return it. I don't know how to explain this but: I can't see very well up close with it. It seemed like I had to have the mask in a very tiny exact spot; and look through a tiny area to see close up. And, I couldn't see close up with both eyes at the same time; because the mask would really have to be adjusted. (yes, they did it correctly; but just doesn't really work for me)

I think I need an 'intermediate range' mask; something to accommodate like a computer distance...not really closeup.

any ideas or suggestions?  thanks,

visit a dive shop .... most can order a prescription mask ...

I'd never just order a mask on line. A mask is very 'fit' specific.  A mask that leaks is no good .... so go to a dive shop and find a mask that fits THEN investigate options for prescription lens.

Take your prescription with you, and visit a dive shop.  For what you're looking for, they may have drop-in lenses that can go with any mask, either one you have, or the one that works best for you there.  If those don't work, with your prescription in hand, they can tell you what options exist for lenses that will work for you. 

Usually for what you're describing, the drop-in lenses will do the trick. 

Another thing to understand is the water provides some magnification, so it may be that you're better using a slightly lower power lenses than you would for the surface. 

Harris

Denver, CO

thanks for the info! good to know.

but what I'm actually wondering is:

is there anyone out there that is far sighted and can't read/focus much zero to say 2 feet out; and if they snorkeled without a prescription mask (galapagos/great barrier reef, etc.) and if they felt it mattered?

Do you wish you did get something they could focus that close with?

thanks

Are you only snorkeling or are you diving? For snorkeling I would say it doesn't matter too much. I probably have a stronger rx for hyperopia than you (+3.0) and have no problems with snorkeling but I find that without an rx I was having a hard time reading the gauges for diving. I bought an over the counter mask at Amazon ($50) that works great. They have lower settings that should not affect your distance vision too much. You should be able to find it with this search at Amazon: Scuba Black Dive Mask FARSIGHTED Prescription RX Optical Full Lenses. See if anyone has your issues or you can ask a question if not.

Hi,

just snorkeling : ) 

what did:   'they have lower settings' mean?  thanks

I'll check into what you suggested.

so when you were snorkeling without a prescription mask, I'm guessing you probably couldn't focus on the settings on the underwater camera (I'll have a relatively inexpensive one; so probably not many settings to see); but for one time use; not sure about whether it's worth it.

thanks

To be honest, I ve never heard of such a mask. I mean these masks are big and it will cost like a lot to make a mask for you to have a better vision under water. I would rather consult in the glasses store or with your doctor regarding this issue. Also I wouldnt recommend watering your eyes with salt water in the first place. 

8 minutes ago, cool cruiser 14107 said:

what did:   'they have lower settings' mean?  thanks

Lower strength would have been better stated! They have 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 as well. You can also get it different for each eye but that may take longer (though seems we have time!). From my experience with increasing hyperopia for decades, those lower strengths will help to see in that mid range without affecting your other distance vision by much. Sometimes it takes a bit of adjustment. Folks are pretty good about answering any questions you may have on Amazon.

Hi,

roger 88: 

I'm confused about the 'I wouldn't recommend watering your eyes with salt water in the first place'? I missed that if someone recommended that?  thanks! and sorry, I don't know how to make a quote show up in this space.

HxFx:

thanks;  oh! lower strength/prescription levels; got it!  thx

Sounds goofy but I always wear contact lenses for snorkeling, diving. I wear glasses in regular life but find slipping the contact lenses on in the morning and then having them on all day makes for easy in and out of the water. I bought a pair of $29 polar lens glasses at Costco and I'm all set for land and ocean.

https://www.diversdirect.com/p/tusa-liberator-prescription-mask

Dive or snorkel with clarity for prescription lens users with this high quality corrective lens mask. Simply choose your mask color preference, and the diopter lens that matches your prescription for the left and right eye to start viewing the underwater world in the highest clarity. TUSA Liberator prescription lens mask makes scuba diving or snorkeling the reef easier than trying to wear contacts underwater for prescription lens users. View the underwater world below without worrying about losing a contact, or not seeing clearly because you can't wear your glasses. This prescription mask combo is available in several color options, and a variety of dioptic lens values to match your prescription. Choose a right and left diopter lens, and we'll send you the TUSA Liberator Mask fully assembled and ready for use on the reef!

and add: https://www.divers-supply.com/trident-aqua-optics-mask-magnifier-kit.html

Trident Aqua Optics Dive Mask Magnifiers
Instant magnification for your scuba mask! Features Optical Quality Glass, 5 different Prescription Strengths, Sold in Pairs and Easy Installation.

"I love this mask. I was able to get my prescription (simple spherical, but for far sighted) and I was able to add the little stick on Trident lens to read gauges etc. up close. This combination really improves the scuba experience. The mask functions perfectly with the lenses."

BUT as I mentioned earlier ... the risk is that this mask may not be a great fit for your face .... and it gets a lil $$ for a one time thing . . . 

Edited by Capt_BJ

1 hour ago, Capt_BJ said:

BUT as I mentioned earlier ... the risk is that this mask may not be a great fit for your face .... and it gets a lil $$ for a one time thing . . . 

Holy Cow, those are expensive! They don't have any + strengths either. I got my +3.0 at Amazon for $50. They work great, took them diving to just over 100 feet multiple times. I saw ones for nearsighted (the negative (-) strengths) for about the same but can't attest to the quality.

On 5/27/2020 at 2:52 PM, cool cruiser 14107 said:

I've heard that before! contact lenses are supposed to be great for that. but, I can't wear them; oh well; thanks!

Just curious. Why can't you wear them? They come out with new types of lenses constantly for comfort and various eye problems. I have severe astigmatism and was told I couldn't wear them. Then about 5 years ago found a doctor who found lenses that work perfectly for me. I order them online for about $60 and it's about a 60 day supply, plenty to get me through a few vacations. The beauty of it is that I can wear them all day long whether I'm snorkeling, splashing around in the water or reading a menu.

• 9 months later...

I have two masks with bifocal lenses.  I can see OK at distance, but I needed help with reading gauges, and seeing objects or critters close up - like under 2 feet.  I did one mask with self applied lenses, and bought a DGX Rio Gauge Reader Mask from Dive Gear Express (~$50).  For both, I used the same diopter as my most comfortable reading glasses.  Of utmost importance, test how the mask fits -- spend at least half an hour in a swimming pool or on the beach getting used to it.  A cheap mask that fits is much better than an expensive one that pinches and leaks.

For the future, if you decide to go eventually (which I highly recommend), we only snorkeled in deeper water where the wildlife was minimum 4-6 feet away. Sometimes the younger sea lions would come a bit closer to play (blow bubbles for them), or a large school of fish would swim nearby, but it's not like the Caribbean where you are looking at tiny colorful fish by a reef. If you can see a hand-sized fish near the rocks from 4 feet or so, then you'll be able to see a lot without a special mask.