Covid-19 Testing

pcakes122

6 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

Instead of trying to compare COVID-19 with influenza, it would be a lot easier to simply say, "I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about." 

Or, say please remove your trousers, as your words are muffled...

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

Sadly, not everyone who contracted Covid-19 has a survivor story.

I get that we have different perspectives.  To you, Covid-19 is something you hear about on the news that is happening to other people. The numbers of infected and/or dead are just statistics. You seemingly feel healthy and fairly immune and/or confident you'd survive if you contracted the virus.

Therefore, I think we should just agree to disagree until it happens to you or someone you love.

If that happens we can talk again (but I'm hoping for your sake that day won't come.)

Sorry, I'm sure you mean well, but your patronizing is not welcome or appreciated.  Like others, you're relying on assumptions with no evidence.  You have no idea what's happened to me, anyone around me or what we've survived.  While I'm glad you recovered, that is by far the expected outcome.

Spock: It would be impossible to discuss the subject without a common frame-of-reference.
McCoy: You're joking!
Spock: A joke
[pause]
Spock: is a story with a humorous climax.
McCoy: You mean I have to die to discuss your insights on death?

You know who else talks in numbers and statistics?  All the 'experts'. 🙂  Happy Cruising!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, boatseller said:

Sorry, I'm sure you mean well, but your patronizing is not welcome or appreciated.  Like others, you're relying on assumptions with no evidence.  You have no idea what's happened to me, anyone around me or what we've survived.

I know you or your loved ones have not had Covid or else you wouldn't be so cavalier about it (or comparing it to the flu.)

If you don't like my views, try your arguments on anyone else who has had Covid and get back to me.  You really don't know what you are talking about, but if it makes you feel better - you do you.

PS I have an idea for you!  Go to the public Survivor Corps group on FB and copy & paste all your statistics and rhetoric there.  See what the 50K folks who have actually had Covid think about your analysis and rationalizations.

Edited by pcakes122

28 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

Instead of trying to compare COVID-19 with influenza, it would be a lot easier to simply say, "I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about." 

You can try to explain how I'm wrong, but you know how that will go.  I have all the numbers ready to go.

Meaning, instead of waving hands and calling names, presents some verifiable evidence or deductive reasoning.

2 minutes ago, boatseller said:

You can try to explain how I'm wrong, but you know how that will go.  I have all the numbers ready to go.

Meaning, instead of waving hands and calling names, presents some verifiable evidence or deductive reasoning.

I don't have to explain it. Countless scientists and doctors already have. Your ignorance is a choice at this point.

I know you or your loved ones have not had Covid or else you wouldn't be so cavalier about it (or comparing it to the flu.)

If you don't like my views, try your arguments on anyone else who has had Covid and get back to me.  You really don't know what you are talking about, but if it makes you feel better - you do you.

Again, assuming facts not in evidence.  You'd be surprised how caviler someone with barely any symptoms can be.  I'm sorry it was bad for you, but your experience does not apply to the vase majority of cases.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

I don't have to explain it. Countless scientists and doctors already have. Your ignorance is a choice at this point.

And just as expected.  Nothing.  If there's so many, you'd have no trouble citing and defending at least one.  That's a pretty low bar, sure you don't want to try at least once?

This is why cruising will resume in August because the evidence will be on the side of the cruise lines and State of Florida.  All the naysayers will have is insults and shaming.  We're good.  Happy cruising!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, boatseller said:

And just as expected.  Nothing.  If there's so many, you'd have no trouble citing and defending at least one.  That's a pretty low bar, sure you don't want to try at least once?

You're honestly not worth it. 

9 minutes ago, boatseller said:

Again, assuming facts not in evidence.  You'd be surprised how caviler someone with barely any symptoms can be. 

Actually, I know two people who were diagnosed with Covid and only had mild symptoms.  They were among the contacts I had to name when I was diagnosed.  Neither of them were cavalier - and they all had to name THEIR contacts as well.  They were both concerned they had infected others.  (One of them is actually who I believe infected ME.)  Three of my contacts had NO symptoms, but had the virus (they tested positive for antibodies.)

So, if you are trying to insinuate you had Covid, you would have had to go through the same tracing procedure I described, which really is difficult to be cavalier about if you care about your family and friends.  If you had it, did you pass it on to any of your contacts? (Assuming you were tested.)

27 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

Actually, I know two people who were diagnosed with Covid and only had mild symptoms.  They were among the contacts I had to name when I was diagnosed.  Neither of them were cavalier - and they all had to name THEIR contacts as well.  They were both concerned they had infected others.  (One of them is actually who I believe infected ME.)  Three of my contacts had NO symptoms, but had the virus (they tested positive for antibodies.)

So, if you are trying to insinuate you had Covid, you would have had to go through the same tracing procedure I described, which really is difficult to be cavalier about if you care about your family and friends.  If you had it, did you pass it on to any of your contacts? (Assuming you were tested.)

Your experience is not a requirement for anyone else.  It's fine that you feel so concerned but you shouldn't expect anyone else to feel the same way.  Following the guidance and/or operator rules is pretty much all everyone has to do to demonstrate their 'social conscience'.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boatseller said:

Following the guidance and/or operator rules is pretty much all everyone has to do to demonstrate their 'social conscience'.  

Which brings us full circle.  In the NY/NJ area, all are encouraged to get tested - symptoms or not.  Hopefully, as you said, people will follow that guidance.

23 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

Which brings us full circle.  In the NY/NJ area, all are encouraged to get tested - symptoms or not.  Hopefully, as you said, people will follow that guidance.

Well.....you want a chance to clarify that comment?  The State of New Jersey seems to think differently.

Should I get tested if I do not have symptoms of COVID-19?
Testing is prioritized for individuals who are experiencing CDC-recognized symptoms of COVID-19, health care workers and first responders, personnel in congregate living settings, and those who have been in close contact with an individual who has tested positive for COVID-19.

Complete this self-assessment to learn what to do.

I went ahead and took the self-assessment, answering every question truthfully.  My result is:

Since you don’t have any COVID-19 symptoms, you don’t need to be tested for COVID-19.
Stay home and take care of yourself. Call your provider if you develop symptoms or your condition changes. 

The State of New Jersey is clearly not encouraging every one to get tested.  I doubt they're outright preventing it but the are making a distinct effort to avoid unnecessary testing.

So, should we conclude that following this guidance directly from the New Jersey Department of Health, including completing the self assessment, demonstrates one's social fitness to cruise?

Well.....you want a chance to clarify that comment?  The State of New Jersey seems to think differently.

Should I get tested if I do not have symptoms of COVID-19?
Testing is prioritized for individuals who are experiencing CDC-recognized symptoms of COVID-19, health care workers and first responders, personnel in congregate living settings, and those who have been in close contact with an individual who has tested positive for COVID-19.

Complete this self-assessment to learn what to do.

I went ahead and took the self-assessment, answering every question truthfully.  My result is:

Since you don’t have any COVID-19 symptoms, you don’t need to be tested for COVID-19.
Stay home and take care of yourself. Call your provider if you develop symptoms or your condition changes. 

The State of New Jersey is clearly not encouraging every one to get tested.  I doubt they're outright preventing it but the are making a distinct effort to avoid unnecessary testing.

So, should we conclude that following this guidance directly from the New Jersey Department of Health, including completing the self assessment, demonstrates one's social fitness to cruise?

Check the date on what you posted.  It's a week old.  Things have changed this week.  I can't help it if they haven't updated their website, but the NJ Governor does a daily update on TV.  You could probably catch a replay on YouTube.

2 hours ago, boatseller said:

There are still plenty of things much more likely to kill your average 35 y/o than sc2.  This is all very well documented.

I don't understand why people want to dispute that.  

5 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

Check the date on what you posted.  It's a week old.  Things have changed this week.  I can't help it if they haven't updated their website, but the NJ Governor does a daily update on TV.  You could probably catch a replay on YouTube.

Nice try, but no.  Please post, as I did, a like to the source to back this up (time stamp in a video will also work).  Until then, the NJ DOH site is still the position of the State.

7 minutes ago, boatseller said:

Nice try, but no.  Please post, as I did, a like to the source to back this up (time stamp in a video will also work).  Until then, the NJ DOH site is still the position of the State.

Google is your friend.  https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/05/19/coronavirus-self-swab-testing-cvs-new-jersey/

This was a week ago.  Our crazy governor thinks widespread testing will drive faster reopening.  What a nut, right?

TRENTON, N.J. (CBSNewYork) – Continuing to tie expanded testing to reopening the state for business, New Jersey’s governor announced a broad increase in the number of locations where people can get tested for COVID-19, along with plans to offer do-it-yourself swabbing kits by the end of the month...

...Relaxing previous restrictions, New Jersey will now allow 18,000 licensed pharmacists across 2,200 pharmacies to give FDA-approved or authorized COVID-19 tests to their customers.

Capture.PNG

Edited by pcakes122

I wonder whether my insurance will cover this testing. I heard it costs 20-40$ and in order to get a correct result one has to take it 2-3 times. I also wonder what will the policy be like for cruise ships, will they ask for some sort of paper the confirms that you are not sick with covid? I also doubt that any serious measures will be taken cause most of the clinics are private. Will see how it goes 

Just now, Roger88 said:

I wonder whether my insurance will cover this testing. I heard it costs 20-40$ and in order to get a correct result one has to take it 2-3 times. I also wonder what will the policy be like for cruise ships, will they ask for some sort of paper the confirms that you are not sick with covid? I also doubt that any serious measures will be taken cause most of the clinics are private. Will see how it goes 

Covid-19 testing is free.

Google is your friend.  https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/05/19/coronavirus-self-swab-testing-cvs-new-jersey/

This was a week ago.  

TRENTON, N.J. (CBSNewYork) – Continuing to tie expanded testing to reopening the state for business, New Jersey’s governor announced a broad increase in the number of locations where people can get tested for COVID-19, along with plans to offer do-it-yourself swabbing kits by the end of the month...

...Relaxing previous restrictions, New Jersey will now allow 18,000 licensed pharmacists across 2,200 pharmacies to give FDA-approved or authorized COVID-19 tests to their customers.

And?  Expanding the number of testing locations does not change the guidance.  Sorry, it doesn't.  Sure, it's more convenient, but it seems the official guidance has not changed.

So, do you agree that following the guidance of the New Jersey Dept of Health fulfills your social fitness to cruise?

And?  Expanding the number of testing locations does not change the guidance.  Sorry, it doesn't.  Sure, it's more convenient, but it seems the official guidance has not changed.

So, do you agree that following the guidance of the New Jersey Dept of Health fulfills your social fitness to cruise?

Read the headline - Covid testing for ALL.  I live here and I listen to the Governor every day.  I know what our recommendations are.  You are clueless and your arguments don't even make sense anymore.

Also, regardless of Federal, NJ or any other guidelines, you can be absolutely sure I will take a test before I cruise again. And before you go on an ill-informed diatribe about how test results take forever and I could contract the virus between the test and the cruise, my last test was Wednesday and I had the results Thursday. I have no idea where you live, but clearly you are not in a Covid epicenter or you would be better informed about what is happening in the real world.

16 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

what will the policy be like for cruise ships, will they ask for some sort of paper the confirms that you are not sick with covid?

The only safe way is that cruise lines are testing every passenger at the time of check-in. Even if i get tested and have a negative result.I am from Europe, so at the airport in the airplane and during my overnight stay e.g. in NYC there are hundreds of possibilities where i can get infected.SO the piece of paper is worthless.

11 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

Read the headline - Covid testing for ALL.  I live here and I listen to the Governor every day.  I know what our recommendations are.  You are clueless and your arguments don't even make sense anymore.

Also, regardless of Federal, NJ or any other guidelines, you can be absolutely sure I will take a test before I cruise again. And before you go on an ill-informed diatribe about how test results take forever and I could contract the virus between the test and the cruise, my last test was Wednesday and I had the results Thursday. I have no idea where you live, but clearly you are not in a Covid epicenter or you would be better informed about what is happening in the real world.

Let me get this straight, you're saying that a web headline for a New York news station is more reliable for official New Jersey policy than the actual web site run by the State of New Jersey?  Ok, I'm sure NJDOH would love to hear about this.

"And before you go on an ill-informed diatribe" - I'll give you the same deal, quit while I'm ahead.  Again with the assumptions. And, I'm the only one providing any supporting facts...oh, that's right, you don't consider https://covid19.nj.gov/index.html as legitimate information.

So in summary, you do not agree with the official guidance from the State of New Jersey.  That's perfectly fine, but please don't try to shame people who are.

• Like 1