Is Trip Insurance worth it now?

Hi all.  I'm here making my final payment and thinking about trip insurance, which I did not purchase when I booked b/c we booked in February at the beginning of this Covid mess, so I've been watching the cruise news and waiting. It's looking like our cruise will be a go, at least at this point (end of August).  I'm now wondering if it's even worth it for us to purchase trip insurance, and what do the rest of you feel about it?  Now that the cruiseline is offering a full refund if they cancel, or a full FCC if I cancel within 48 hours, plus the airline is offering no change fees and future credits if I cancel.  If they cancel I get refunded. Basically I will be out a lot less money now than I would have before covid.  What do you all think? 

It sounds to me like you think Trip Insurance is only used for "cancellation" purposes. Cancellation is in the bottom of reasons why I purchase Travel Insurance. As a matter of fact, if I'm just doing a 7 day sailing to the Caribbean, I don't even bother with cancellation, but I still buy travel insurance.

The medical and evacuation coverage part of Travel Insurance should be considered.

If you are injured or require hospitalization while on your trip, the cost could be thousands of dollars.  Even worse would be medical evacuation which could cost tens of thousands of dollars.

Without insurance, you would be responsible for these costs.

Some things you should consider.

If you are on Medicare, Medicare does NOT provide coverage outside the US.

I would NEVER travel without insurance.

Edited by Ravbo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

It sounds to me like you think Trip Insurance is only used for "cancellation" purposes. Cancellation is in the bottom of reasons why I purchase Travel Insurance. As a matter of fact, if I'm just doing a 7 day sailing to the Caribbean, I don't even bother with cancellation, but I still buy travel insurance.

No, not just cancelations,  but I mostly buy to cover the majority of expenses I might be out of f something happens. BTW, I still purchased, but am just wondering.  I think now that cruise lines are allowing FCC for cancelations that trip insurance will be applied less often than it has been in the past. The majority of people on here at CC I see post about using their insurance is for canceling due to un-forseen circumstances before the cruise.  

58 minutes ago, Ravbo said:

The medical and evacuation coverage part of Travel Insurance should be considered.

If you are injured or require hospitalization while on your trip, the cost could be thousands of dollars.  Even worse would be medical evacuation which could cost tens of thousands of dollars.

Without insurance, you would be responsible for these costs.

Some things you should consider.

If you are on Medicare, Medicare does NOT provide coverage outside the US.

I would NEVER travel without insurance.

So yes, I understand the medical and evacuation.  In the past I have just purchased evacuation insurance.  My Credit card has travel insurance for things like lost baggage, baggage delays, airline cancelations and delays - things like that just like the insurance does.  It does not cover the other things, but I have good medical insurance that does cover all medical issues even out of country, and it does cover transportation costs to the nearest appropriate medical center.  As expensive as evacuations are, I like to purchase extra - as it does not cost much anyway, so why not be covered as much as possible for that.  I understand not everybody has a good insurance though, so it definitely makes sense for that.  Good points though.  BTW, I purchased insurance, I feel like even needing it for even one thing would pay for it, and I just figure it as part of the cost of cruising.  

I'm trying to figure out if there is even an option to buy travel insurance that would cover you if you happen to contract covid-19 while out of the country.  I'm not worried about trip interruption just medical coverage and evacuation.

I believe I will be willing to take the risk to travel at some point after the cruise lines resume operation but I'm not willing to take the financial risk if the worst were to happen and I were to contract the virus while away from home and require hospitalization.

I'm wondering if insurance companies will relax the exclusions after the CDC and State Department (US) reduce the travel warnings.

Edited by wrk2cruise

I purchased travel insurance for the first time through Insure my Trip for a policy from Nationwide. Never again. Our cruise was canceled and it has been a nightmare trying to get any type of reimbursement back for a trip that never took place. They basically have $1100 of our money and never had to provide any type of coverage. I understand that you may never have to use the policy and it just for peace of mind in case something happens but this trip never happened at all. At least with car insurance you have possession of the car. 

9 hours ago, FLOTR said:

I purchased travel insurance for the first time through Insure my Trip for a policy from Nationwide. Never again. Our cruise was canceled and it has been a nightmare trying to get any type of reimbursement back for a trip that never took place. They basically have $1100 of our money and never had to provide any type of coverage. I understand that you may never have to use the policy and it just for peace of mind in case something happens but this trip never happened at all. At least with car insurance you have possession of the car. 

Please advise when the insurance was purchased and the coverages.

Do you have cancel for any reason or coverage for pre-existing conditions or "cruise only" type of coverage? If cruise only, then maybe the cruise line insurance may be more economical for purchase next time.

This will determine when your coverage(s) started and expected to end.

Which can mean, just because your 'ship did not sail' does not mean that you and your traveling companions were not covered any situation before the sailing.

OR is this a case where the insurance company is not responding quick enough for you OR is this a case where you do not accept what IMT or Nationwide has declined and not acceptable to you?

A few, quite a few, more details are required here in order to guide you towards a resolution, either favourable or not favourable for you.

bon voyage

I appreciate the reply Bo1953 but I am not looking to hijack the original posters thread. I will continue to work with the insurance carrier to hopefully resolve my issue. I just wanted to post my experience with trip insurance to answers the question posted.

1 hour ago, FLOTR said:

I appreciate the reply Bo1953 but I am not looking to hijack the original posters thread. I will continue to work with the insurance carrier to hopefully resolve my issue. I just wanted to post my experience with trip insurance to answers the question posted.

Not a problem either way, yet what are the facts for your issue(s)...

bon voyage