Regent Watercooler! Off topic and non-cruise discussion here!

For all U.S. folks, I hope you had a great Fourth of July weekend. During these times, it’s nice to relax with special friends and enjoy a special holiday. 
We met with Beebob Bonnie and her sister who we cruised with last March on the Explorer and had a great time. We had a nice BBQ and great conversation.  During our soirée, we FaceTimed with Travelcat and woke up her husband, Dennis, and he had on some nifty pajamas for his siesta. 
It would not have been an official time with Z and TB unless someone got sick and surprise, it was me. Too much Sangria mixed with rum and no chow. 
Z and TB

2 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

For all U.S. folks, I hope you had a great Fourth of July weekend. During these times, it’s nice to relax with special friends and enjoy a special holiday. 
We met with Beebob Bonnie and her sister who we cruised with last March on the Explorer and had a great time. We had a nice BBQ and great conversation.  During our soirée, we FaceTimed with Travelcat and woke up her husband, Dennis, and he had on some nifty pajamas for his siesta. 
It would not have been an official time with Z and TB unless someone got sick and surprise, it was me. Too much Sangria mixed with rum and no chow. 
Z and TB

It was so good talking to (and seeing) you.  As you know, you look so good with your new beard, I almost didn't recognize you.  Of course, TB always looks wonderful and it was such a treat to "meet" your mom!  So sorry to hear that you got sick from Sangria and not eating (you know better!). Although we have communicated with Bonnie (and Debbie) for a few months, it was amazing to meet them.  Can't wait to have dinner with all of you in Miami in March.

;

Dennis was really taken aback when I brought the phone into him and put it in his face.  He gets up around 5:00 a.m. and works in the garden and the house for a few hours and then takes a rest.  He does enjoy his siestas!  

All of you are very special to us.  Please be safe.  Hope that you are feeling better.

Jackie

The following text may, or may-not, conform with previous totally-unrelated introspections as to how we Regent cruiser comrades have been spending time following a series of canceled 2020 cruises.  

For wife and self: currently 0 for 3.  Two canceled Regent cruises; and one series of three B/t/B/B river cruises canceled by Uniworld River Cruise on which we hoped to "sail", yet-again, throughout France's river system later this Summer.  Everything shut-down in Europe.  The most-poignant loss was Splendor, March 14 sailing from San Diego via Panama Canal (which would have been our fifth Canal transit) to Miami.  Our 50th wedding anniversary was to be celebrated onboard with our TA for the past 13 years; the couple who were with us at our Seattle wedding way, way back in 1970; and several other couples who, via that particular Splendor Roll Call, had coordinated an opportunity to meet while commemorating significant wedding anniversaries. 

So, with the above as prologue: 

I  had a unique opportunity to combine overlapping careers over a 35 year segment of my professional life as both an Army Officer and a criminal investigator with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service.  This circumstance would not be possible today.  But, during combined service--1965 to 2000--due to needs of those times, particularly in the early '70s and '80s, it was possible. 

From perspective as a Postal Inspector.  Spent significant periods from September, 1991 to July, 1995 involved in a criminal investigation at Anchorage and Chugiak, AK; Los Angeles; and Seattle and Tacoma, WA.  Genesis:  September 17, 1991 murder-by mail bomb at Chugiak. Chugiak is a suburb of Anchorage.  Result:  one dead; home blown-up; grievous injury to the surviving widow.  She continues to recover from the shrapnel wounds inflicted as result of a plot hatched by five really, really evil conspirators. 

Subsequent efforts led by the Postal Inspection Service in a Task Force involving various State and other Federal Agencies, and Attorneys from the U. S. Department of Justice's Organized Crime and Terrorism Unit, Washington, D.C. and Federal District at Anchorage resulted in ultimately arresting all five persons.  All were convicted either by pleading guilty; or in a lengthy trial in Federal Court.  Two of the ring-leaders will only be released from the U.S.'s Maximum Federal Penitentiary at Golden, CO in pine boxes.  Serious stuff. 

Bottom line:  "October Films", a London, England-based Production Company, has completed a series titled "Devil Among Us."  Six "notorious" murders committed in the USA are chronicled.  The above Chugiak investigation will be the lead-off Case.  A two-parter. Airing in the USA will be via Comcast Cable Discovery Channel on a program titled "Investigation Discovery (ID)"   

I have spent many, many hours since December, 2019 working with the Production Company.  My wife and I were "October's" guests for several days at Anchorage (and Chugiak) in mid-January--together with a film crew flown-in from New York.  Lots of snow.  Was in front of, and behind the cameras providing narration and background as to the investigation.   Then, again, from our Redmond residence via mid-June Zoom conferences.  Me from our dining room table; the Production Staff from a London studio.  The Producers were set to visit our home for another on-site filming in early March.  However, the COVID-19 situation canceled that. Thus, fallback to Zoom. 

Whatever--I partner with another retired Postal Inspector as narrators during portions of this two-hour program.  In the Seattle-Redmond, WA area, Discovery Channel (Investigation Discovery ID) is carried on Comcast Cable.  Have no idea where it might be available in  your area.  "Devil" is currently being promoted through a series a 12-second spots on Comcast.  Yours-truly is included.   "October" also advises this series will be carried in the U.K. and Commonwealth countries. 

Should you have time on your hands--who doesn't--might want to tune-in.  I will be "Jim"--with a beard.  The other retired Inspector is "Russ"--also with a beard.  For whatever reason(s), retired American Federal criminal investigators tend to spout beards.  

Regards, and stay safe.  And--still hoping for an April-May Explorer cruise, Tokyo to Vancouver, B.C. 

GOARMY!

• Like 2

GOARMY!  What an interesting life!  Thanks for posting your career experience and your involvement with the film production of one of your major cases.  Hopefully the film will be streamed in the US at some point in time.  Also, congratulations on your anniversary, and here's hoping for future lovely cruises.

@goarmy, I see a Season 1, Ep 1 episode scheduled for July 16 called Fire and Ice for a series called Devil Among Us.  Description says 'A sniper shooting on an Alaskan highway leaves a young man dead and a comunity running scared; as one family grieves, another becomes hell bent on revenue as it formulates an audacious plot.  That your baby?'  

I do have Xfinity (Comcast).  

And yes, what an interesting and busy life!  Thanks for sharing and for your service.

Go Army— how exciting. We will be watching from  NY on FIOS. If anyone is interested to find the broadcast download the free TV Guide app. It makes finding  programs simple. 

Edited by Got2Cruise

greykitty and others: 

Yes, that is the program.  At one time, our Federal/State/Local Law enforcement Task Force led by the Postal Inspection Service numbered over 200 persons operating in the Anchorage-Chugiak area.  Electronic surveillance; wire-taps; aerial surveillance; Search Warrants; Informants--the whole gamut.  Plus analysis of bomb debris by several Federal Crime Laboratories at D.C. and in California.  I forgot to give credit to U.S. Army and Air Force Canine Units who also rendered assistance during service of Federal Search Warrants.  Bomb-sniffing "experts" (the dogs) kept us safe.

Happy viewing. 

GOARMY!

• Like 1

I credit bomb sniffing dogs with doing so much for this and other countries.  There are charities that donate bullet-proof vests for dogs.  He is one of them (I am not affiliated with them in any way) https://projectpawsalive.org

BTW, Anderson Cooper donated vests in memory of two police dogs that were killed in action (one dog was killed when responding to a domestic assault call ...... so sad).

On 5/26/2020 at 7:36 PM, Travelcat2 said:

I like the way that you think.  How could I have forgotten internet and booze (especially Veuve Cliquot!  I'm so used to social distancing and am glad that I can still hug my cats (and my DH).

P.S.  Thank you for starting the thread asking about the WaterCooler and to Host Dan for getting it going!

Tc2. Looks like this cave  may be an option. If you find the cave I promise I will bring the Veuve Clicquot and may be a few other Champagnes to you may like too.  Another of my favourites is Pol Roger

3 hours ago, cerise638 said:

Tc2. Looks like this cave  may be an option. If you find the cave I promise I will bring the Veuve Clicquot and may be a few other Champagnes to you may like too.  Another of my favourites is Pol Roger

The cave with lots of Champagne is sounding really good right now🍾

On 7/9/2020 at 11:39 AM, Travelcat2 said:

You two would always be welcome in our cave - just bring some champagne!

OK - we will be coming to your area hopefully in sept. and expect dinner , dancing, etc.

• Haha 1

Okay - I have a couple of questions.  Firstly, does anyone have a cave that they will rent (with air conditioning, bedrooms, bathrooms, etc.)?   We would likely need a 5 star restaurant nearby and a refrigerator to hold our champagne, ice and munchies.😇

If the above doesn’t work and if we can’t cruise many places, is anyone planning a luxury vacation instead of cruising?  We have looked into very small luxury resorts in Fiji (likely my favorite spot on earth) and also luxury dude ranches in the U.S.

Any ideas are welcome!

12 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Okay - I have a couple of questions.  Firstly, does anyone have a cave that they will rent (with air conditioning, bedrooms, bathrooms, etc.)?   We would likely need a 5 star restaurant nearby and a refrigerator to hold our champagne, ice and munchies.😇

If the above doesn’t work and if we can’t cruise many places, is anyone planning a luxury vacation instead of cruising?  We have looked into very small luxury resorts in Fiji (likely my favorite spot on earth) and also luxury dude ranches in the U.S.

Any ideas are welcome!

Please include Herb and Me.....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

If the above doesn’t work and if we can’t cruise many places, is anyone planning a luxury vacation instead of cruising? 

Any ideas are welcome!

Travelcat2 -

Well, one man's luxury is another man's misery, I suppose.  Much as we would love to jump on a nice ship and cruise, we think it will be a while.  We also suspect the insurance aspect may or may not be there as fast as the cruise lines figure out a way to do things that satisfy the CDC and various countries.  Insurance can be a real buzz kill, knowwhutahmean?? 

Given current circumstances, anything that involves a change of scene is looking more and more luxurious.  Why, just today we visited a friend who needed some help, who lives out in the hinterlands.  We had a nice drive going and coming, and it was like the highlight of our week.  Which only goes to show how low the bar has been set. 

I'm of the mind that the most likely trip(s) we will take - assuming the status of US as personna non grata all over the world, due to our conflagration of Covid 19 - has been lifted, will start with road trips.  We think we can plot out trips that will involve lots of interest, minimal exposure to other people, and staying in nice hotels and eating yummy grub.  We have a dear friend who lives in south of France (www.anthonybayiseurope.com) who will guide such trips, and who makes all the linguistic issues go away, and is a walking encyclopedia of euro history.  The current list of trips we want to do (having done several already), are UK in 30 days;  south of Germany, into north of Switzerland and east of France; Switzerland by rail; north of Germany, the North Sea and maybe into Poland and Romania (these are not super popular, and maybe not "luxury", but much to see, do and eat, particularly for a history buff; south of France - from Montpelier to Monaco, and everything in between.  Not to mention Norway, Sweden, Denmark, wherever they have roads and hotels.  And don't get me started on Italy, the Dalmatian coast, Greece.  If we can get back to cruising - great.  But if not - we're going to still check off boxes on the bucket list, assuming we still have a pulse.  

• Like 1

We spent July 4th and the rest of the week in a Cabin at Gilbert Lake State Park in  upstate NY , not a hot spot in anyway, except for the baseball hall of fame a half hour drive away, which was very quiet because there aren’t any baseball camps being attended in the area.  My son-in-laws family have been going here for 40 plus years, to hang out at the lake,  make simple dinners, camp fires, roast marshmallows, play games and enjoy the family.  

My husband and I were suppose to be on a Regent cruise in the Baltic Sea, but instead we were in Cabin 31 with our dog, Cabin 32 had my daughter, son-in-law, granddaughter(7) and grandson(12) and Cabin 33 had my son-in-laws mom and dad and brother and another dog!  The cousins from California weren’t going to be able to attend, so we did. 

Was this a luxurious trip - not quite.  However,  I cooked dinner the first night and that consisted of filet Mignone,  salmon with a nice mango salsa,  potatoes with bacon, cheese and a smoked paprika butter in a cast iron skillet,  a very tasty salad and my granddaughter helped me make a  plum custard cake served with heavy cream that everyone shook in a thermos to make it thick.  Mind you my husband and I had bottle of Silver Oak,  so as much as we are in a cabin in the woods - we are going to at least drink and eat well.  Later  that night my grandson and I after midnight split the Texas hold Em pot.   Not luxurious, but such a great night for all of us.   

The rest of the week we had great weather,  80 during the day by the lake with a good book and 60 at night around the fire and other good meals.   The kids had a blast walking the dogs,  running back and forth between the cabins and hanging with both sets of grandparents, hiking with me, and biking with others.   (No political discussions,  not everyone is on the same page, so peace needs to be maintained!).  

Was the trip we had planned, hell no,  but it was a lot of fun to hang with the family and not worry about masks and social distancing.  Mind you,  if I don’t go to Hawaii in February 2021 I will be very unhappy.  

GoArmy,   I will watch the show,  we love stuff like that.  If the USO opens up in Newark airport in the future, stop by and say hi.   (I don’t see that happening for a while.) 

irishwitchy: 

Sue and I have transited the Newark Airport on several occasions en route to, or returning from, Regent cruises.  Due to the current situation, doubt we will have another opportunity in the near future.

Anyway.  Will keep this stop in mind in the hope there will be another opportunity before our cruising days are over.

Take care.  And--keep those masks on! 

GOARMY!

To me, at the moment, I live in relative luxury, nice view, air conditioning (although the dishwasher just broke.)  But the real luxury is being able to go to the cottage, our summer home, on the river outside of Ottawa. I've spoken about it before, but I'm jonesing for it right now.  It is far from luxurious there, as accommodations go, but it is far above camping, and I have endless access to the great outdoors, the trees and wildlife, my bicycle. Our porch is like a large cruise ship balcony, with a view of the river, flowing by. Utterly quiet except for the odd waterskier.  And swimming in the river, which will be fairly warm by now after our horrendous heat wave.  Only downsides are limited internet and no TV reception, so we're experimenting with casting to the TV from our phones.  Hope to be up there again next week, with David.  

On 5/26/2020 at 12:34 PM, Mudhen said:

Has anyone had any experience flying Emirates Business Class? Considering giving them a try....

December 2019 we went from Boston - Dubai in Business and returned in January from Hong Kong to Boston.  Service and food was top notch and much better than others that we've been on.

• 2 weeks later...

Another reality accelerated due to current COVID-19 situation.  This concerns British Airways (BA) "retiring" Boeing 747s from its Fleet.  That was due to happen, anyway, sometime in 2020.  Now, a fact.

How nice it was to book early--via our Travel Agent--on a BA N/S flight either from SEATAC to Heathrow; or the reverse, while going to/returning from a European-based Regent or Silversea cruise; or before a few days in London before heading to France for a Uniworld river boat cruise. 

"Those were the days, my friends . . ."  Sorry for diverting to a Don McLean 1970s lyric.

747-400 Aircraft.  Two levels for Business Class seats.  The Main, and the "upper" accessed via a staircase.  Always went for, and acquired via staircase, that upper level.   Specifically Row 62, Seats A-B; or J-K.  Never disappointed.  Quiet, attentive service.

Well--we all have time to reflect on the past. That is my contribution. 

So-many uncertainties as to realistic expectations to resume either ocean or river cruising in the next 18 months. 

Take care, and keep those face masks on, please.

GOARMY!

• Like 3

On 7/7/2020 at 11:46 PM, GOARMY said:

The following text may, or may-not, conform with previous totally-unrelated introspections as to how we Regent cruiser comrades have been spending time following a series of canceled 2020 cruises.  

For wife and self: currently 0 for 3.  Two canceled Regent cruises; and one series of three B/t/B/B river cruises canceled by Uniworld River Cruise on which we hoped to "sail", yet-again, throughout France's river system later this Summer.  Everything shut-down in Europe.  The most-poignant loss was Splendor, March 14 sailing from San Diego via Panama Canal (which would have been our fifth Canal transit) to Miami.  Our 50th wedding anniversary was to be celebrated onboard with our TA for the past 13 years; the couple who were with us at our Seattle wedding way, way back in 1970; and several other couples who, via that particular Splendor Roll Call, had coordinated an opportunity to meet while commemorating significant wedding anniversaries. 

So, with the above as prologue: 

I  had a unique opportunity to combine overlapping careers over a 35 year segment of my professional life as both an Army Officer and a criminal investigator with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service.  This circumstance would not be possible today.  But, during combined service--1965 to 2000--due to needs of those times, particularly in the early '70s and '80s, it was possible. 

From perspective as a Postal Inspector.  Spent significant periods from September, 1991 to July, 1995 involved in a criminal investigation at Anchorage and Chugiak, AK; Los Angeles; and Seattle and Tacoma, WA.  Genesis:  September 17, 1991 murder-by mail bomb at Chugiak. Chugiak is a suburb of Anchorage.  Result:  one dead; home blown-up; grievous injury to the surviving widow.  She continues to recover from the shrapnel wounds inflicted as result of a plot hatched by five really, really evil conspirators. 

Subsequent efforts led by the Postal Inspection Service in a Task Force involving various State and other Federal Agencies, and Attorneys from the U. S. Department of Justice's Organized Crime and Terrorism Unit, Washington, D.C. and Federal District at Anchorage resulted in ultimately arresting all five persons.  All were convicted either by pleading guilty; or in a lengthy trial in Federal Court.  Two of the ring-leaders will only be released from the U.S.'s Maximum Federal Penitentiary at Golden, CO in pine boxes.  Serious stuff. 

Bottom line:  "October Films", a London, England-based Production Company, has completed a series titled "Devil Among Us."  Six "notorious" murders committed in the USA are chronicled.  The above Chugiak investigation will be the lead-off Case.  A two-parter. Airing in the USA will be via Comcast Cable Discovery Channel on a program titled "Investigation Discovery (ID)"   

I have spent many, many hours since December, 2019 working with the Production Company.  My wife and I were "October's" guests for several days at Anchorage (and Chugiak) in mid-January--together with a film crew flown-in from New York.  Lots of snow.  Was in front of, and behind the cameras providing narration and background as to the investigation.   Then, again, from our Redmond residence via mid-June Zoom conferences.  Me from our dining room table; the Production Staff from a London studio.  The Producers were set to visit our home for another on-site filming in early March.  However, the COVID-19 situation canceled that. Thus, fallback to Zoom. 

Whatever--I partner with another retired Postal Inspector as narrators during portions of this two-hour program.  In the Seattle-Redmond, WA area, Discovery Channel (Investigation Discovery ID) is carried on Comcast Cable.  Have no idea where it might be available in  your area.  "Devil" is currently being promoted through a series a 12-second spots on Comcast.  Yours-truly is included.   "October" also advises this series will be carried in the U.K. and Commonwealth countries. 

Should you have time on your hands--who doesn't--might want to tune-in.  I will be "Jim"--with a beard.  The other retired Inspector is "Russ"--also with a beard.  For whatever reason(s), retired American Federal criminal investigators tend to spout beards.  

Regards, and stay safe.  And--still hoping for an April-May Explorer cruise, Tokyo to Vancouver, B.C. 

GOARMY!

@goarmy, I'm about 40 minutes into the first episode.  I admit, on a 103F heat index day, at first all the snow attracted my attention.  But, very shortly, I was drawn into this truly frightening story.   There was a time I was fascinated by books from authors such as Ann Rule, but it's been a while since I've followed true crime stories.

BTW, I think you sound and look great on TV, and so far all the narrators are doing a great job of going through the facts of the crime, and the investigation process for viewers unfamiliar with this crime.  

Thanks for mentioning these episodes....I don't think I ever would have seen them otherwise.  And thanks to you, and to all the various involved personnel, who so diligently work to seek justice.

• Like 1