Refund Success?

beachbooles

Hi all!

Has anyone succeeded in getting a refund from SD?  Seeing that April, May, June, July and August voyages are now cancelled (and even the end of March maybe?)...I was wondering.  We cancelled our August 29th departure from Malta, ending in Rome, and they said it would take up to 90 days.  It's been 34.. 🙂 I feel i'm going to end up having to get American Express involved but i'm hoping not.  So, if others have gotten their refunds, i'd love to know!!  Thank you!

2 hours ago, beachbooles said:

Hi all!

Has anyone succeeded in getting a refund from SD?  Seeing that April, May, June, July and August voyages are now cancelled (and even the end of March maybe?)...I was wondering.  We cancelled our August 29th departure from Malta, ending in Rome, and they said it would take up to 90 days.  It's been 34.. 🙂 I feel i'm going to end up having to get American Express involved but i'm hoping not.  So, if others have gotten their refunds, i'd love to know!!  Thank you!

Thanks for starting a new thread.

I am not speaking for anyone else, but the only people I've connected with to have gotten any money back was by going through their credit card company.  Otherwise, I haven't seen any stories here or elsewhere of refunds being paid since before mid-February, which is over 90 days ago. And with communication being non-existent and their offices remaining closed, sadly, you may need to go this route too.  If you do, here is what someone shared with me.

"Upload your booking contract and/or a screenshot of their terms and conditions web-page which has the original refund policy.  Then note that when you booked, 90 days was not their policy and still isn't on their T&C page.  Include a short statement on how SD changed to 90 days and made it retro-active to your existing booking without contacting you or posting a policy announcement on their website.  Meaning, you were told one thing when you booked and another when you tried to cancel. And if you have any unanswered or cut/paste emails or bounce-backs from terminated employees, include those as well.  This would support the claim by showing they are unable or unwilling to honor their original terms. Depending on your card and the thoroughness of your appeal, you could get instant notification of success or they may ask for more information. Either way, SD will have to respond to the CC company and may actually even try to contact you with another offer so you will cancel your appeal."

Post here any updates so we can all benefit from your experience?  Thanks!

3 hours ago, beachbooles said:

Hi all!

Thanks for posting this new timely thread.  Hope everyone will share honestly to protect us all and frankly help SeaDream in the end.  The continuing lack of communication is self-defeating.

We are coming up on 90 days next week - assuming as should be the case that it is 90 calendar days since neither their email to us nor the stated new policy on the website mentions business days - but I’m bracing for them to now argue they meant business days not calendar days to buy more time given the full cancellations through August.  At the time they went to 90 days they were expecting to be operational and bringing in revenue by now.

We are all in the dark as to how much SeaDream owes in outstanding refunds through the voyages now canceled through the end of August, how many will take credits v refunds, how much revenue they can realistically recoup with one yacht in Norway for the summer, and how much more the owner is willing to put in to keep the business afloat.  Absent knowing some of these and other data points, it will be interesting to see if even the revised 90-day refunds occur on time as promised.

Intel or insights from anyone else out there?

1 hour ago, ExoticDestinations said:

Thanks for starting a new thread.

I am not speaking for anyone else, but the only people I've connected with to have gotten any money back was by going through their credit card company.  Otherwise, I haven't seen any stories here or elsewhere of refunds being paid since before mid-February, which is over 90 days ago. And with communication being non-existent and their offices remaining closed, sadly, you may need to go this route too.  If you do, here is what someone shared with me.

"Upload your booking contract and/or a screenshot of their terms and conditions web-page which has the original refund policy.  Then note that when you booked, 90 days was not their policy and still isn't on their T&C page.  Include a short statement on how SD changed to 90 days and made it retro-active to your existing booking without contacting you or posting a policy announcement on their website.  Meaning, you were told one thing when you booked and another when you tried to cancel. And if you have any unanswered or cut/paste emails or bounce-backs from terminated employees, include those as well.  This would support the claim by showing they are unable or unwilling to honor their original terms. Depending on your card and the thoroughness of your appeal, you could get instant notification of success or they may ask for more information. Either way, SD will have to respond to the CC company and may actually even try to contact you with another offer so you will cancel your appeal."

Post here any updates so we can all benefit from your experience?  Thanks!

Thank you for this info.  I too, have a friend, that had to go through Amex.  SD had told her 14 days in EARLY March, just before things shut down...so Amex credited her and requested similar documentation as what you mentioned above.  Let's see who else replies.

After a complete lack of communication with Seadream about getting my deposit back after cancelling a Fall cruise in mid March I lodged a dispute with my credit card and received all of my deposit back .. people we were travelling with also had to do the same.  We were originally told 10-14 days in writing and then heard nothing until I contacted Seadream and they then said via email it would be 90 days and did not return any of my several calls. Since I had the contract which clearly stated a refund was due since we cancelled more than 120 days out, and I had a written email acknowledging that the refund would be posted within 10-14 days it was a pretty clear case.  But credit card companies overall say that 10-20 days for a refund is reasonable.  None of them think 90 days is ok. Too bad Seadream did not handle things better 

Edited by Christi209

Just now, Christi209 said:

After a complete lack of communication with Seadream about getting my deposit back after cancelling a Fall cruise in mid March I lodged a dispute with my credit card and received all of my deposit back .. people we were travelling with also had to do the same.  We were originally told 10-14 days in writing and then heard nothing until I contacted Seadream and they then said via email it would be 90 days and did not return any of my several calls. Since I had the contract which clearly stated a refund was due since we cancelled more than 120 days out, and I had a written email acknowledging that the refund would be posted within 10-14 days it was a pretty clear case.  Too bad Seadream did not handle things better 

Thanks.  I'm REALLY hoping that someone  will reply that they actually GOT their refund from SD as promised. 😞 It actually saddens me that this is happening.  I loved SeaDream so much.   

12 minutes ago, Christi209 said:

After a complete lack of communication with Seadream about getting my deposit back after cancelling a Fall cruise in mid March I lodged a dispute with my credit card and received all of my deposit back .. people we were travelling with also had to do the same.  We were originally told 10-14 days in writing and then heard nothing until I contacted Seadream and they then said via email it would be 90 days and did not return any of my several calls. Since I had the contract which clearly stated a refund was due since we cancelled more than 120 days out, and I had a written email acknowledging that the refund would be posted within 10-14 days it was a pretty clear case.  But credit card companies overall say that 10-20 days for a refund is reasonable.  None of them think 90 days is ok. Too bad Seadream did not handle things better 

Thanks for your helpful posts.  If you could share, how long did it take for the credit card company to get it resolved after their process started?  We filed one of several pending refunds with a card - while the bank is giving us a provisional credit pending final resolution - they are giving SD like 45 or 60 days to reply, which is bothersome.

I lodged the dispute at the start of April and a temporary credit was given within a few days.  I got the letter stating it was final after about 4-5 weeks I think. 

Edited by Christi209

4 minutes ago, Christi209 said:

I lodged the dispute at the start of April and a temporary credit was given within a few days.  I got the letter stating it was final after about 4-5 weeks I think. 

Thanks much for the quick reply - wish we had acted sooner like you did.  Oh well.  Still have our fingers crossed.  Still want SD to survive but they keep making it harder on themselves, the crew and their past guests.

Also, on the issue on dealing with the credit card company and their dispute intervals.  I think that most credit will honor a dispute for purchases made within the past 60 days, but in our case, the deposits were paid over a year ago for our next cruise departing in October.  I don't know if they will make an exception here. 

We haven't cancelled our next cruise yet, but will probably do so before the final payment date upcoming in about three weeks.  I guess then we will have to "wait out" the 90 days and then deal with either the credit card company or the Travel Insurance Company.  Either way we are anticipating a long wait for our deposit back. 

I have just printed the "Terms and Conditions" page from their website in the event that the site should shut down, and it clearly states their refund policy.  However, it doesn't say anything about the timeliness of the refund.  So if you have something from them indicating a short period of time, that would be very helpful.

Edited by BeignetBoy

their refund policy clearly States 90 days https://seadream.com/payment-refund-policy/

In regards to 90 days  this is in Line with the latest travel law and regulations both from The Eu and Norway. The New law in Norway was back dated giving travel companies up to 90 days to refund.  This was backdated to all cancellations/refund requests  from March. 

This was implemented by the Government to support the tourism industry and avoid they all companies goes under. 

SeaDream is a Norwegian company and are allowed to follow this law.

Their t&c reads:

• THIS PASSAGE CONTRACT SHALL BE GOVERNED BY AND CONSTRUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH NORWEGIAN LAW, EXCEPT FOR NORWEGIAN CHOICE OF LAW PRINCIPLES. IF THERE IS CONFLICT BETWEEN NORWEGIAN LAW AND A PROVISION OF THIS PASSAGE CONTRACT, THE CONTRACT PREVAILS.
  •  
  • ANY CLAIM FOR EMOTIONAL OR BODILY INJURY, ILLNESS TO OR DEATH ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS CONTRACT MUST BE BROUGHT AT THE ASKER AND BAERUM DISTRICT COURT, NORWAY, TO THE EXCLUSION OF ANY OTHER COURT.

This can all be found here: https://seadream.com/about/policies-terms-conditions/

It is important to know that all tourism companies use money for cash flow when they get money.  No tourism company will just sit on the money they received for bookings. 

I understand that people are frustrated,  but SeaDream is within their legal right to spend 90 days before refunding. 

48 minutes ago, BeignetBoy said:

Also, on the issue on dealing with the credit card company and their dispute intervals.  I think that most credit will honor a dispute for purchases made within the past 60 days, but in our case, the deposits were paid over a year ago for our next cruise departing in October.  I don't know if they will make an exception here. 

We haven't cancelled our next cruise yet, but will probably do so before the final payment date upcoming in about three weeks.  I guess then we will have to "wait out" the 90 days and then deal with either the credit card company or the Travel Insurance Company.  Either way we are anticipating a long wait for our deposit back. 

I have just printed the "Terms and Conditions" page from their website in the event that the site should shut down, and it clearly states their refund policy.  However, it doesn't say anything about the timeliness of the refund.  So if you have something from them indicating a short period of time, that would be very helpful.

We are basically in the same "boat" 🙂 because we booked while on board in October.  That contract only states that if we cancel 120 or more out, then we get the deposit refunded, minus the $50/person booking fee.  I expected to lose the $100 for us. However, now it's THEM that cancelled the voyage, but more importantly, when I cancelled they said it would take up to 90 days. So we, too, will wait it out and then submit this info I copied below to the CC company as proof.  That's a good idea to save a copy from their site in case it is taken down.  I actually feel we may lose our deposit completely.  It's very disheartening.  I hope i'm wrong.

April 22,2020

Thank you for your email. 

We are sad to hear that you wish to cancel your upcoming SeaDream reservation and have declined the offer presented to you, but understand under the circumstances.

We will proceed with your request to cancel your reservation and a notice has been sent to our Accounting Department.

We have been asked by the Local government to shut down our home office, so we have shifted our operations to our homes.  Due to the shutdown, we are working as quickly as we can to process your refund and we hope to have them out as soon as possible. Refunds may take up to 90 days as all refunds are processed manually. 

You are able to view our Cancellation and Refund Policy here: https://seadream.com/payment-refund-policy/

We know there are better times ahead of us and we look forward to welcoming you both back on board in the near future.

Thank you for your patience as we navigate these unusual circumstances.

Sincerely,

Ashley

27 minutes ago, Scspartan76 said:

their refund policy clearly States 90 days https://seadream.com/payment-refund-policy/

In regards to 90 days  this is in Line with the latest travel law and regulations both from The Eu and Norway. The New law in Norway was back dated giving travel companies up to 90 days to refund.  This was backdated to all cancellations/refund requests  from March. 

This was implemented by the Government to support the tourism industry and avoid they all companies goes under. 

Their t&c reads:

• THIS PASSAGE CONTRACT SHALL BE GOVERNED BY AND CONSTRUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH NORWEGIAN LAW, EXCEPT FOR NORWEGIAN CHOICE OF LAW PRINCIPLES. IF THERE IS CONFLICT BETWEEN NORWEGIAN LAW AND A PROVISION OF THIS PASSAGE CONTRACT, THE CONTRACT PREVAILS.
  •  
  • ANY CLAIM FOR EMOTIONAL OR BODILY INJURY, ILLNESS TO OR DEATH ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS CONTRACT MUST BE BROUGHT AT THE ASKER AND BAERUM DISTRICT COURT, NORWAY, TO THE EXCLUSION OF ANY OTHER COURT.

This can all be found here: https://seadream.com/about/policies-terms-conditions/

It is important to know that all tourism companies use money for cash flow when they get money.  No tourism company will just sit on the money they received for bookings. 

I understand that people are frustrated,  but SeaDream is within their legal right to spend 90 days before refunding. 

I think we are all just hoping that at the allowed 90 day mark, refunds start appearing.  That's why I started the thread to see if anyone was  out there yet.  I guess just one is getting real close to the 90 soon.

8 minutes ago, beachbooles said:

I think we are all just hoping that at the allowed 90 day mark, refunds start appearing.  That's why I started the thread to see if anyone was  out there yet.  I guess just one is getting real close to the 90 soon.

Good luck trying to win that legal argument in a U.S. court or many others for that matter.

SeaDream has an entity incorporated under the laws of the state of Florida (where I now reside as a retired attorney), listing U.S. citizens including SD’s President as the relevant officer.  SD sold voyages via the Miami office (and Oslo too), in US Dollars, and cited the government’s closure of the Miami FL USA office as a reason for delaying the promised refunds well beyond the initial 10-14 day period.  The attempt to retroactively change this to 90 days simply wouldn’t fly.

That said, we all learned a long time ago that there is the letter of the law and the practicalities of the matter.  Bringing suit even a class action suit would be costly and time consuming.  The true bottom line is whether SD expects to remain a going concern and thus treats its past guests with the respect they deserve, including processing refunds and communicating appropriately.  Many if not most of us have literally each spent tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars with SD over many, many years.  We hope to enjoy more voyages.  We deserve better.  And I am writing that as one who once gave them the benefit of the doubt, implored senior management to communicate pronto and honestly, and still hopes they make it.

Edited by JES4845
Grammar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JES4845 said:

.  Many if not most of us have literally each spent tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars with SD over many, many years.  We deserve better.  And I am writing that as one who once gave them the benefit of the doubt, implored senior management to communicate pronto and honestly, and still hopes they make it.

Yes!  

49 minutes ago, beachbooles said:

We are basically in the same "boat" 🙂 because we booked while on board in October.  That contract only states that if we cancel 120 or more out, then we get the deposit refunded, minus the $50/person booking fee.  I expected to lose the $100 for us. However, now it's THEM that cancelled the voyage, but more importantly, when I cancelled they said it would take up to 90 days. So we, too, will wait it out and then submit this info I copied below to the CC company as proof.  That's a good idea to save a copy from their site in case it is taken down.  I actually feel we may lose our deposit completely.  It's very disheartening.  I hope i'm wrong.

April 22,2020

Thank you for your email. 

We are sad to hear that you wish to cancel your upcoming SeaDream reservation and have declined the offer presented to you, but understand under the circumstances.

We will proceed with your request to cancel your reservation and a notice has been sent to our Accounting Department.

We have been asked by the Local government to shut down our home office, so we have shifted our operations to our homes.  Due to the shutdown, we are working as quickly as we can to process your refund and we hope to have them out as soon as possible. Refunds may take up to 90 days as all refunds are processed manually. 

You are able to view our Cancellation and Refund Policy here: https://seadream.com/payment-refund-policy/

We know there are better times ahead of us and we look forward to welcoming you both back on board in the near future.

Thank you for your patience as we navigate these unusual circumstances.

Sincerely,

Ashley

I do not understand why they are writing home office. 

SeaDream head office is located in Norway,  not the us.

This is strange practice from them.

I understand everyone and what they are saying,  my point with my previoua post was to bring up their  terms and what the law was saying. 

The Norwegian Government stated that it did not matter what previous  timeframe for refunds a copmpany might have, the New law cancels this old refund policy for all request.  Even if people were told 10-14 days. 

Fingers crossed that everyone gets their money, all I am staying allow 90 days to go.  Several of my friends have got their funds back from SD when they were due 90 days after cxl

1 hour ago, Scspartan76 said:

Their t&c reads:

•  

37 minutes ago, JES4845 said:

Good luck trying to win that legal argument in a U.S. court or many others for that matter.

SeaDream has an entity incorporated under the laws of the state of Florida (where I now reside as a retired attorney), listing U.S. citizens including SD’s President as the relevant officer.  SD sold voyages via the Miami office (and Oslo too), in US Dollars, and cited the government’s closure of the Miami FL USA office as a reason for delaying the promised refunds well beyond the initial 10-14 day period.  The attempt to retroactively change this to 90 days simply wouldn’t fly.

Correct.  They are a "Florida Profit Corporation".  See:  http://search.sunbiz.org/Inquiry/CorporationSearch/GetDocument?aggregateId=domp-p01000079045-551820b2-9f14-42f3-bc07-f10fd1ba0e3c&transactionId=p01000079045-246a4dd4-db05-4f18-9280-8c81325c2132&formatType=PDF 

I am told, the President, Andreas Brynestad (listed on the above filing), not a US Citizen.

8 minutes ago, Scspartan76 said:

Several of my friends have got their funds back from SD when they were due 90 days after cxl

Oh wow! That's GREAT news!  That's the first i've heard of someone getting it from SD since the virus.  SD refunded me within a week last fall when I changed trips.  I cancelled one and booked a different on while onboard. So, this new delay, though understandable,  was making me really wonder so I wanted to know if anyone had gotten a refund since Covid.  I'm glad to hear some have!! 🙂

Edited by beachbooles

I have been reading the accounts of not receiving refunds in the appropriate amount of time. People are angry. I am angry reading all of this. The world and cruising industry did not ask for any of this. When you sailed on SD, you all had the most wonderful time or else you would not have booked again..at 15% off on board no less, most of you. SD has always tried to make your trip memorable. Now, when the chips are reversed you all are so angry that SD can’t jump to the request for all money returned right away. I am not an attorney. Just a normal person who knows that the world is in turmoil and I give a little leeway to those that might be hurting for the time being. SD has always been my happy place, I will never fault them when times are tough. That’s all...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ohmiss said:

I have been reading the accounts of not receiving refunds in the appropriate amount of time. People are angry. I am angry reading all of this. The world and cruising industry did not ask for any of this. When you sailed on SD, you all had the most wonderful time or else you would not have booked again..at 15% off on board no less, most of you. SD has always tried to make your trip memorable. Now, when the chips are reversed you all are so angry that SD can’t jump to the request for all money returned right away. I am not an attorney. Just a normal person who knows that the world is in turmoil and I give a little leeway to those that might be hurting for the time being. SD has always been my happy place, I will never fault them when times are tough. That’s all...

Hey! 🤗 I didn’t realize I came off as angry. I think I said I was sad. I hope they make it and I am waiting the 90 days. I simply want to know if anyone else had gotten their refunds to have some idea where this is going. We have been very blessed that we have not lost any loved ones but our financial losses have been big. I apologize if I seemed angry. I’m not. I’m sad that this is all happening and I’m hopeful that in the promised time, I’ll have a little money on my side. Happy thoughts 😊

Me, on the other hand?  I AM angry.  Or at least, profoundly disappointed.  

I have been on multiple Seadream cruises, and have so many happy memories of the crew and the experience.  We could have/would have been loyal customers for many more years.

This situation is indeed tough for the travel industry, and we all get it.  However, I resent the total absence of communication and transparency by Seadream - regarding cruise scheduling, employee welfare, website updates, and refund timing.  A child could have crafted a better PR strategy on the back of one of their cocktail napkins.

Instead, we have been expected to provide a 90 day interest free loan (hopefully that is all) with no assurance that the money will be forthcoming.  As to the comment up thread regarding tight cash flow - yes, of course.  That is what bank lines of credit are for.  Instead of going to its banks, Seadream has used its clients.

I hope that Seadream will survive and rebound after this period.  But, in the meantime, I am letting my credit card company do my talking for me.  Presumably Seadream answers THEIR emails.

1 hour ago, Scspartan76 said:

Their t&c reads:

•  

I am angry too. Why?  Because the confirmation email/PDF everyone gets upon booking and 1st payment says; "Please contact us to receive a full description of these policies or visit our website at http://www.seadream.com/paymentrefund-policy"  But check it out - this link is missing a dash between "payment" and "refund".  And when you click on it, it redirects you to the main T&C page (https://seadream.com/about/policies-terms-conditions/) where there is no mention of 90 days.  Can anyone else confirm their Booking Confirmation PDF has the same link?

Regardless. it is only when you email SD to cancel that they send a different link - https://seadream.com/payment-refund-policy/ (note there is now a "-") - which is identical to the T&C page refund policy except it has the extra paragraph about 90 days.  And this new link isn't referenced anywhere else I can find the documents or website.

I am not saying this is some conspiracy to keep from refunding, as the missing "-" on the confirmation document may just be an honest mistake. But the mere existence of a separate refund policy page distinct from the T&C page with no ability to read it beforehand is mighty curious. And  it shows the CC company that no one could know about a 90 day policy when booking.  Only when they request a refund.

15 hours ago, ExoticDestinations said:

Correct.  They are a "Florida Profit Corporation".  See:  http://search.sunbiz.org/Inquiry/CorporationSearch/GetDocument?aggregateId=domp-p01000079045-551820b2-9f14-42f3-bc07-f10fd1ba0e3c&transactionId=p01000079045-246a4dd4-db05-4f18-9280-8c81325c2132&formatType=PDF 

I am told, the President, Andreas Brynestad (listed on the above filing), not a US Citizen.

Thanks again to all who posted here for the helpful dialogue on this thread with many points of view - all good to know and think about even when we don’t agree (maybe especially so!).

Following up on the post about the current status of SDYC, Inc. as a Florida corporation, for what it is worth, the linked Florida Profit Corporation registration was amended only late last month (April 2020) to substitute Atle’s son Andreas for Bob Lepisto as President.  That still means SDYC Inc. that sold us the future voyages is a U.S. (Florida) corporation.  While Andreas may not be a U.S. citizen, the amended registration lists two other officers, one with an address other than that of the Miami office, implying at least that person if not both of the other officers is a U.S. citizen.  Also SD itself repeatedly referred to Miami as the home office in numerous emails to most of us.

In any event, as others have pointed out, let’s hope they meet the revised 90-day deadline as promised.  Each of us will need to consider our options if they don’t.  Sadly, just a little communication could have prevented so much of the controversy and lingering concerns.

Good health and safety to all and yours ...

Edited by JES4845
Grammar

Yes, I am angry too.  And why not?  Obviously we loyal customers/passengers are being treated with undeserved disrespect by SD.  90 days refund is not ok.Changing terms AFTER THE FACT is not ok. Having to get your CC company involved to obtain your promised refund is not ok.

Though I love SD (This would have been our 13 trip.) I see our loyalty is not worth much to them only our $$. I would question anything they tell you now.

(Note that the only claim of " several of my friends" receiving refunds came from Oslo.  Just saying.)      

Edited by cabosal1