Alaska in September

bege759

I am going on a cruise leaving from Seward in September.  I plan to take the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Seward, and wonder if the Gold star Service is worth paying double for.  Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, bege759 said:

I am going on a cruise leaving from Seward in September. 

You might want to double check if it's still going-- most major companies have cancelled their entire 2020 Alaska season entirely. 

That being said I think the GoldStar is worth it if you like extra amenities-- included drinks, upgraded dining etc. Much easier access to the dome car seating. No lines you can can get with the regular Cafe in Wilderness class for food and drinks. 

Thank you Princeton 123211.  I will be on Celebrity, and I check daily for new cancellations; so far, so good!  I had a Princess  cruise booked earlier but the cancelled all of their Alaska cruises early on.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

The Gold Star sounds like the way to go!

On 5/29/2020 at 1:42 PM, ARRTrain said:

Guess no ships to Alaska this year.

Ships don't need to enter Canadian waters for an Alaskan cruise. What they would need is a waiver on the "international port" requirement.

34 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Ships don't need to enter Canadian waters for an Alaskan cruise. What they would need is a waiver on the "international port" requirement.

"The Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) prohibits the transportation of passengers between two different U.S. ports on any vessel other than a U.S.-flag vessel that meets all requirements for U.S. coastwise transportation."

Foreign flagged ships must stop in a Canadian port.

23 hours ago, Glaciers said:

"The Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) prohibits the transportation of passengers between two different U.S. ports on any vessel other than a U.S.-flag vessel that meets all requirements for U.S. coastwise transportation." Foreign flagged ships must stop in a Canadian port.

Sooooo....... you didn't understand "they would need is a waiver on the "international port" requirement" or what?

1 minute ago, scottca075 said:

Sooooo....... you didn't understand "they would need is a waiver on the "international port" requirement" or what?

I understand that.  I am just wondering if these "waivers" have ever been issued before.  In other words, could the cruise lines be trying to work something out before making that final call that all Alaska cruises are cancelled?  I realize it's all speculation at this point...

1 minute ago, bege759 said:

Have these waivers ever been issued?

Yes. NCL has a permanent one for their HI cruise around the islands.

No, one has never been issued for an Alaska cruise, but we've also never been in this situation before with Covid 19 and closed borders. The U.S. Congress has already passed funds to help the cruise lines. I can see a tightly worded exemption for situations like Alaska.

As an eternal optimist, my fingers are crossed!!  On the other hand, that probably won't help me much since my cruise terminates in Vancouver, but I know the people of the Alaska ports are hurting so it would be nice if they can get some ships before the end of the season.

I can't imagine they would issue waivers. Canada is trying to reduce the spread and it's unlikely the US will undermine their efforts.  Alaska just had 27 new cases of covid yesterday. This year is a bust for the main line cruises in Alaska. The smaller lines such as UnCruise and Alaskan Dream are still a go.

6 hours ago, Glaciers said:

I can't imagine they would issue waivers. Canada is trying to reduce the spread and it's unlikely the US will undermine their efforts.  Alaska just had 27 new cases of covid yesterday. This year is a bust for the main line cruises in Alaska. The smaller lines such as UnCruise and Alaskan Dream are still a go.

Uh.... the wavier would be to SKIP Canada. The only reason Alaska cruises originate in Vancouver or make a port stop in Canada is to meet the requirements of the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886. The law needs to be entirely rewritten.

8 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Uh.... the wavier would be to SKIP Canada. The only reason Alaska cruises originate in Vancouver or make a port stop in Canada is to meet the requirements of the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886. The law needs to be entirely rewritten.

Yes, that's correct. The US will not issue waivers undermining Canada's worldwide effort in helping contain the virus. It will not happen.  At least not for cruising to Alaska this year.

Edited by Glaciers

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

Alaska cruises from Vancouver started well before Seattle ever had regular R/T Alaska cruises. Seattle started getting ships as Vancouver did not have sufficient berths for the increasing number of ships.

I worked 2 full seasons in the 70's & 80's  and all the ships were based in Vancouver. The primary reason the ships didn't go to Seattle in those days is Vancouver is closer, so less fuel and the route to Alaska is more scenic. 

3 hours ago, Glaciers said:

Yes, that's correct. The US will not issue waivers undermining Canada's worldwide effort in helping contain the virus. It will not happen.  At least not for cruising to Alaska this year.

You are not explaining how U.S. ships NOT going to Canada undermines Canada's effort to contain the virus.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2020 at 9:29 PM, scottca075 said:

You are not explaining how U.S. ships NOT going to Canada undermines Canada's effort to contain the virus.

Canada’s efforts are not just for Canada. They are not only limiting the spread of Covid within Canada but to other countries as well by limiting cruise ships in their ports. It certainly wouldn’t have much effect on Canada if waivers were issued, which they won’t be, although the spread in Alaska/Seattle would most likely increase undermining Canada’ effort to limited the spread in a global sense. This is certainly just my opinion. Time will tell.

Cruise critic is doing a good job pursuing this. Recent article:https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5399/

On 6/20/2020 at 8:58 AM, Glaciers said:

Canada’s efforts are not just for Canada. They are not only limiting the spread of Covid within Canada but to other countries as well by limiting cruise ships in their ports. It certainly wouldn’t have much effect on Canada if waivers were issued, which they won’t be, although the spread in Alaska/Seattle would most likely increase undermining Canada’ effort to limited the spread in a global sense. This is certainly just my opinion. Time will tell.

I wasn't aware Canada had been appointed to limit the spread in a global sense. Do you have that link?

In the meantime, it seems to me their global leadership is being undermined without cruise ships.

1_4975928.jpg?cache_timestamp=1591709551