NCL BOOKED AIRFARE / flights question

Hello,

I recently booked a cruise through NCL that included the free airfare to Tahiti. The only thing they can tell us over the phone is that they will let us know a couple weeks before the cruise what our flights are. 

Does anyone have any experience with NCL booked flights? Some of the flights we looked at have 4 connections and one has a 27 hour lay over!.  Do they like to get you in a day before or hours before embarkation?  Do you have any say what flights you get or any flexibility? Please share your experiences! thank you in advance! 

Used their flight last January to Miami.  We flew in very early on day of flight.  I believe you can pay an up charge to have more flexibility in the flight.  We went to Tahiti several years ago with Windstar cruises. Flew out of LAX on Air Tahiti Nui.   Long but ok flight.  Getting to plane was a chore.  Farthest gate and then had to ride a bus on the tarmac to get to plane.  But there are several companies that fly there.  You will love the Society Islands.

• Like 1

In your favor may be that I believe there are very few flights to Tahiti, even in normal times.

Do you have a say in what time you board your flight?  No.  Do you have a say in what DAY you board your flight?  YES.  It's a $25pp surcharge and you can deviate up to 2 days (I believe you can do it at both ends if you pay $50pp).  You become responsible for hotels and additional transportation to/from the hotel, and you can still make use of cruise line transfers from the airport if you go back to the airport to get it.

You will see placeholder flights on your booking after you've made final payment (or maybe even before).  You will receive your airline booking number sometime after 60 days to go.  Once you have your booking number you can generally go on the airline website and select your seats and possibly even pre-pay for luggage but those options depend on the airline.  There was a long thread on this last Fall, I participated.

• Like 1

If you want to deviate your flights you have to call NCL there is not a way to do it online. If you are booking far enough out they may not be able to deviate your flights yet-I was able to deviate when I booked my replacement Alaska cruise 14 months out but my summer 2022 Iceland cruise I booked a few weeks ago I could not and was told to call back closer to the sail date. I would not be willing to fly to Tahiti landing day of-my understanding is NCL will not pay to catch you up to the ship if you’re delayed. 

• Like 1

I had added air from DFW R/T Honolulu and just now cancelled it. The price was cheap but we wanted to fly into Honolulu two days before cruise which they added air deviation fee and that was reasonable, but they are booking you on contract air and it goes thru 4 levels of booking and can end up with multiple stops or not get there in time, and sometimes you don't know, until much closer to the actual cruise date. They guarantee you will get there, but you have to rely on them to do the booking. I decided to book my own  and pay 200.00 PP more and be in control of my own flights. Cruise air may be just fine, but I have read about too many that did not go well and I don't want to be one of them.

• Like 1

Thank you all So much for your input! This answers all my questions! We dont want to arrive to Tahiti hours before our flight, we ideally want to arrive a day early or more. I will pay for a hotel, How often does one go to Tahiti after all. Thank you all! 

7 hours ago, sugcarol said:

but they are booking you on contract air and it goes thru 4 levels of booking and can end up with multiple stops or not get there in time, and sometimes you don't know, until much closer to the actual cruise date.

Care to explain?  4 levels of booking?  As long as you're on a flight, why does it matter how many "hops" that booking took?  NCL would not book a flight that does not get you to the port city in time.  Will you like the time that your flight takes off?  Possibly not..

The conditions of the offer are that domestic flights have no more than one connection when possible, with international flights having no more than two when possible.  For example, I might need a 3 hop flight to get to Tahiti, depending on where the final leg to Tahiti leaves from.

@Anonymoussol what ship are you on?  The terms/conditions I'm looking at for the free/reduced airfare offer indicate Norwegian Jewel sailings that embark or debark in Tahiti are not eligible for deviation.

5 hours ago, hallux said:

Care to explain?  4 levels of booking?  As long as you're on a flight, why does it matter how many "hops" that booking took?  NCL would not book a flight that does not get you to the port city in time.  Will you like the time that your flight takes off?  Possibly not..

The conditions of the offer are that domestic flights have no more than one connection when possible, with international flights having no more than two when possible.  For example, I might need a 3 hop flight to get to Tahiti, depending on where the final leg to Tahiti leaves from.

@Anonymoussol what ship are you on?  The terms/conditions I'm looking at for the free/reduced airfare offer indicate Norwegian Jewel sailings that embark or debark in Tahiti are not eligible for deviation.

We are On the Jewel... OCT 9 leaving from san diego or LAX. I will try and find the terms and conditions as I didn't see it when booking. I am just hoping to get there morning of or day before. The Jewel leaves at 10 pm.

5 hours ago, hallux said:

Found it... For anyone elses reference. https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

15 hours ago, sugcarol said:

They guarantee you will get there, but you have to rely on them to do the booking. 

Take another look at the terms.   There is NO guarantee.    NCL does not operate any flights and are only a booking agent.    They will "assist" you  but no guarantee-   they'll get you to your ship prior to sailing.     Many times,  it is far more advantageous to fix your own problems.   KNOWING what to do, and your options,  prior to a torpedo are more efficient.      I always,  have plan B, C,  D and sometimes an E known.    🙂     I needed it in March.   🙂   

We are booked on the same Oct. 9, 2020 cruise flying out of Phoenix.  Our reservation shows that NCL will fly us into Tahiti the day before the cruise departs as there are no flights on any airline that arrive the day of the flight.  We anticipate that NCL will have to book us a hotel room for the night before the cruise as their flights get us in the day before.  On a side note - we have our final payment due on June 11th. At what we know today, we will likely cancel as I don't think all of French Polynesia will be open by October and I really don't think Hawaii is going to welcoming big cruise ships come October.  I don't believe that NCL will cancel the cruise, I think they will simply slightly change the itinerary and include a whole bunch more sea days.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Budget Queen said:

NCL does not operate any flights and are only a booking agent.

Not completely correct.  I was booked on a cruise leaving from Tahiti and we were booked on a charter flight from LAX - there were actually 2 charters, leaving LAX around midnight and arriving in Papeete about 5am.  I wasn't thrilled with the NCL-booked flights getting to LAX  but when I checked, turns out they weren't that bad, considering what flights were available.

4 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Not completely correct.  I was booked on a cruise leaving from Tahiti and we were booked on a charter flight from LAX - there were actually 2 charters, leaving LAX around midnight and arriving in Papeete about 5am.  I wasn't thrilled with the NCL-booked flights getting to LAX  but when I checked, turns out they weren't that bad, considering what flights were available.

Yes absolutely correct.   NCL did NOT operate any flights,  and your flight was completely up to the airline-   NCL  had NO input into the operation,   if it went,   delayed etc.       The plane didn't have NCL painted on the side.    

6 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

Yes absolutely correct.   NCL did NOT operate any flights,  and your flight was completely up to the airline-   NCL  had NO input into the operation,   if it went,   delayed etc.       The plane didn't have NCL painted on the side.    

NCL charted the flights, so details were per NCL specifications, not subject to cancellation for reasons other than flight conditions.  Of course NCL didn't fly the plane but the flight was not up to the airline, except with respect to flight conditions. Nor does NCL drive the buses on excursions and airport transfers - but if you book those through NCL, they will do whatever they can to get you to your cruise.  And within reason, they will wait, something they will not do if you make your own arrangements.

I was providing info to the OP specifically for Tahiti.  Your mileage may vary under different circumstances.  I have personally used "free airfare" and it has suited my needs, no issues.  Apparently you have not had such a positive experience.  I've been on cruises that waited because of airline delays and on cruises that waited for late excursions.  I personally prefer to have some backing, which I consider better than nothing.  But to each their own.

4 minutes ago, julig22 said:

NCL charted the flights, so details were per NCL specifications, not subject to cancellation for reasons other than flight conditions.  Of course NCL didn't fly the plane but the flight was not up to the airline, except with respect to flight conditions. Nor does NCL drive the buses on excursions and airport transfers - but if you book those through NCL, they will do whatever they can to get you to your cruise.  And within reason, they will wait, something they will not do if you make your own arrangements.

I was providing info to the OP specifically for Tahiti.  Your mileage may vary under different circumstances.  I have personally used "free airfare" and it has suited my needs, no issues.  Apparently you have not had such a positive experience.  I've been on cruises that waited because of airline delays and on cruises that waited for late excursions.  I personally prefer to have some backing, which I consider better than nothing.  But to each their own.

Everything about that flight operating is up to the airline.    Of course that flight can be canceled,   delayed,  just like any other.     NCL has NOTHING to do with the flight operation=   as I mentioned in my post.    

3 hours ago, Dlarruso said:

We are booked on the same Oct. 9, 2020 cruise flying out of Phoenix.  Our reservation shows that NCL will fly us into Tahiti the day before the cruise departs as there are no flights on any airline that arrive the day of the flight.  We anticipate that NCL will have to book us a hotel room for the night before the cruise as their flights get us in the day before.  On a side note - we have our final payment due on June 11th. At what we know today, we will likely cancel as I don't think all of French Polynesia will be open by October and I really don't think Hawaii is going to welcoming big cruise ships come October.  I don't believe that NCL will cancel the cruise, I think they will simply slightly change the itinerary and include a whole bunch more sea days.  

Now thats good information! Same cruise even! ...  While I hope the cruise is not altered, that is a decision we might have to make too. :-( 

Hello,
I recently booked a cruise through NCL that included the free airfare to Tahiti. The only thing they can tell us over the phone is that they will let us know a couple weeks before the cruise what our flights are. 
Does anyone have any experience with NCL booked flights? Some of the flights we looked at have 4 connections and one has a 27 hour lay over!.  Do they like to get you in a day before or hours before embarkation?  Do you have any say what flights you get or any flexibility? Please share your experiences! thank you in advance! 

We did it last October Chicago to Vancouver. Paid an extra $25 to go a day early. Great flights, non stop, early arrival, later departure. Very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BonnieJeanne said:

We did it last October Chicago to Vancouver. Paid an extra $25 to go a day early. Great flights, non stop, early arrival, later departure. Very happy with it.

On the jewel?
Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Anonymoussol

5 hours ago, Dlarruso said:

Our reservation shows that NCL will fly us into Tahiti the day before the cruise departs

2 hours ago, Anonymoussol said:

Now thats good information! Same cruise even!

Just a point of note, those are placeholders.  Those flights you see are not final.  Until you get the booking numbers they are subject to change.

I booked on August 22 for a cruise on Oct 28.  We had placeholders for the flights right away, and the ones for my booking were different than for my sister's.  By Sept 17 we had the final flight reservations with booking numbers and were able to pick our seats for the flights.