Celebrity Cruises 30th Birthday

Mojogurued

29 minutes ago, Argo. said:

Horizon 1994.

but their website gives this info:

Celebrity Cruises cruise line headquartered in Miami, Florida and a wholly owned subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. en.wikipedia.org

Interesting.  Perhaps they did not sail until 1990?  We started in 1992 on the Horizon also - got us hooked.  55 in total and it would have been more except for Mr. Corona.

6 hours ago, Argo. said:

Horizon 1994.

but their website gives this info:

Celebrity Cruises cruise line headquartered in Miami, Florida and a wholly owned subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. en.wikipedia.org

Did some research online.  It looks like the cruise line was created in 1988 but the first ship sailed in early 1990.

Celebrity Cruise Lines was created in 30 years ago- before it was Chandris Line- CH= X- the greek letter for CH. I am happy to have been with them since about 20 years.

Huge fan of the M- class.

They still offer an excelent product and I have many many wonderful memories of sailing with X. Met wonderful people- some turned out to be friends for life.

Don´t like everything they introduced or eliminated for good. So I switch between X and Cunard now.

Always will come back to them from time to time!

Even though I never sailed with Capt. Mac Kue- or Captain Kate and her Bug naked- I am huge fan of both. Love their Insta- posts. So - Happy Birthday X- kind of sad- the 30. milestone in such a terrible terrible year!

We have been X cruisers for almost all of the 30 years. I can't remember if we were first on the Meridian or Horizon or Galaxy but to me the classiest ship in the fleet back then was the Century. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alcpa1 said:

We have been X cruisers for almost all of the 30 years. I can't remember if we were first on the Meridian or Horizon or Galaxy but to me the classiest ship in the fleet back then was the Century. 

We did Meridian in 92 and I agree completely about the Century.  As early CC members we were invited to tour her in New York harbor before her first cruise.   Immediately struck by the beautiful wood in the Main Dining Room, sailed on her a few months later.   

Edited by dkjretired

Been onboard since Century and Mercury. ( still our favorite).   It has been a great way to vacation .  A bit sad that Royal C has changed X...We miss the old ways when it was more personal, less corporate and truly  provided " Modern Luxury" for all guests! Hoping it goes back to that model once the pause is lifted!

4 hours ago, hcat said:

Been onboard since Century and Mercury. ( still our favorite).   It has been a great way to vacation .  A bit sad that Royal C has changed X...We miss the old ways when it was more personal, less corporate and truly  provided " Modern Luxury" for all guests! Hoping it goes back to that model once the pause is lifted!

Never going to happen. They've got several billion dollars in new debt that has to be paid back first, before they do any improvements they don't have to.

After a slight delay of ten years, in 1999 we finally took our honeymoon on the Mercury. I had never been on a true vacation before and was quite worried if I would be able to figure out how to cruise. It was supposed to be a one and done, but we booked the Millennium for the next year and we continued to vacation (land and cruise) from then on.

Yes many changes have come about with Celebrity, but we still find the product to be very good. We are currently looking at doing a Lift and Shift for our upcoming January cruise. Not ideal, but with the current situation it makes sense for us.

I sailed on the 9th cruise of the Horizon back in 1990! Was such a great ship especially coming from the old Chandris ship's which I cruised as a kid. Too bad they didn't mention any of their founding ships in their video. 

A week or so ago I stumbled on a channel on YouTube that had some of the old promotional videos of the Horizon and Meridian, among other ships. They seem to update the channel every week with some other old cruise video. I remember having the Horizon video and watching it constantly, I was a kid back then and obsessed with cruising. I was very happy to find this.

I linked the channel below. I hope this is not against the rules of the board. If so I will remove. Doesn't look like it is affiliated with a travel agency or anything like that. The channel is called Cruise Nostalgia.

Enjoy!

Edited by nycruiser80