Posted (edited)

This thread is simply and ONLY to track how long it is taking to get refunds from Crystal.  I will transfer the data from your posts into a spreadsheet that you can see at:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J4VzFbOtV0IvGFMcPxYm3yMB476abmEb8qSCjFUoZKg/edit?usp=sharing

Please post the date your cruise was to sail and the date you requested a refund.  If you have not received your refund yet, please come back and post again when you receive it.  If you have already received a refund, please also post that information.  It will give the rest of us more hope.  If you already posted any of this information on another thread, please check the spreadsheet and post an update here with any dates that are missing,

All the data will be transferred to the spreadsheet, and you will always be able to find it at the link in post #1.   By posting when you cancelled your Crystal cruise AND when you received the refund, maybe we can see a trend and get an idea when future refunds will be coming.

Here is my entry:

scheduled sail date 4/21/20
I cancelled 3/11/20, requested 75% refund + 25% FCC
no refunds as of 5/25/20

Or for others, the second line might be:
Crystal cancelled 3/18/20, requested 100% refund on 3/19/20

Or:
Crystal cancelled 3/18/20, took 125% FCC
still waiting for refund of port taxes

Or:
received refund [of port taxes] on 5/25/20

Etc.

Hopefully, this thread will be for data collection only.  There is already a robust discussion of this topic on another thread, and I suggest that any commentary and discussion be posted there at:

Edited by SusieQft
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SusieQft said:

This thread is simply and ONLY to track how long it is taking to get refunds from Crystal.  I will transfer the data from your posts into a spreadsheet that you can see at:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J4VzFbOtV0IvGFMcPxYm3yMB476abmEb8qSCjFUoZKg/edit?usp=sharing

Please post the date your cruise was to sail and the date you requested a refund.  If you have not received your refund yet, please come back and post again when you receive it.  If you have already received a refund, please also post that information.  It will give the rest of us more hope.  If you already posted any of this information on another thread, please check the spreadsheet and post an update here with any dates that are missing,

All the data will be transferred to the spreadsheet, and you will always be able to find it at the link in post #1.   By posting when you cancelled your Crystal cruise AND when you received the refund, maybe we can see a trend and get an idea when future refunds will be coming.

Here is my entry:

no refunds as of 5/25/20

Or:

Or:

Etc.

Hopefully, this thread will be for data collection only.  There is already a robust discussion of this topic on another thread, and I suggest that any commentary and discussion be posted there at:

Hi,

I tried to access your spreadsheet, but i received a message saying I need to request access, I am techno challenged 😉

I cancelled my cruise on the 10th March for a cruise on the 21st April. I have not received my refund yet and the only correspondence I have had is an automated response to my enquiry saying it will be up to 90 days 

Edited by G2G
Posted (edited)

Scheduled sail date  April 23, 2020 on Symphony

Crystal cancelled cruise on March 3, 2020

Full Refund request  March 16, 2020

No refund as of May 27, 2020

Thanks for taking this on SusieQft.  I appreciate your efforts when you did something similar on the Regent Board. Crystal is at almost double the amount of days in returning my money than Regent was, and still counting. I hope they will come through by the 90 day mark, so they still have (a little) time.

If I click on your link, I get a message from "google sheets" that I need to request access. I clicked on the request button. Hopefully, that will work so that I can see the spreadsheet once people have posted.

Edited by Benita
added a paragraph

Cruise Sail Date:   July 19, 2020

Requested 100% Refund for 4 cabins, which Crystal processed April 1, 2020.

Awaiting to receive the refund as of today, May 27, 2020.

Marc

1 hour ago, Raptordash said:

Cruise Sail Date:   July 19, 2020

Requested 100% Refund for 4 cabins, which Crystal processed April 1, 2020.

Awaiting to receive the refund as of today, May 27, 2020.

Was this before the final payment date?   If so, had you already made final payment?  If not, how could you qualify for 100% cash refund -- wouldn't it have been 75% cash, 25% FCC?

9 hours ago, G2G said:

I tried to access your spreadsheet, but i received a message saying I need to request access, I am techno challenged 😉

4 hours ago, Benita said:

If I click on your link, I get a message from "google sheets" that I need to request access. I clicked on the request button. Hopefully, that will work so that I can see the spreadsheet once people have posted.

Thank you for the heads up.  I had forgotten to change a setting to make it so anyone can view.  It should work now,  but you do have to log into your Google account when requested (unless you are already logged into it). 

11 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Here is my entry:

no refunds as of 5/25/20

Or:

Or:

Etc.

Thanks for doing this! It will help a lot to get some transparency on the refunds. 
Ivi

46 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Thanks for doing this! It will help a lot to get some transparency on the refunds. 

I don't think this is a bad idea, but just a word of advisement based on industry context...  If it's anywhere near as nuanced as the refunds at my company, people might get even more frustrated trying to figure out the rhyme or reason to everything.  The fact that your bank alone can take anywhere between 3 and 30 days (as quoted) to post the credit card credit after Crystal does their part, alone, sets every refund off into its own path to completion -- let alone the order Crystal processed them. 

Transparency is great, just make sure no one get frustrated when they can't make sense of the patterns.

Vince

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

I don't think this is a bad idea, but just a word of advisement based on industry context...  If it's anywhere near as nuanced as the refunds at my company, people might get even more frustrated trying to figure out the rhyme or reason to everything.  The fact that your bank alone can take anywhere between 3 and 30 days (as quoted) to post the credit card credit after Crystal does their part, alone, sets every refund off into its own path to completion -- let alone the order Crystal processed them. 

Transparency is great, just make sure no one get frustrated when they can't make sense of the patterns.

Vince

Thanks for the advice. We will take into account the days that the bank can take to read those figures. In the credit card statements it comes always the day of the transaction even if the bank only credits some days later. At leas this is my experience. 

In terms of frustration, I have the impression that it is more frustrating for the people waiting for their refunds not to know what is going on. People wonder where is the bottle neck? Crystal? The travel agent? The bank? 

Ivi

39 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Thanks for the advice. We will take into account the days that the bank can take to read those figures. In the credit card statements it comes always the day of the transaction even if the bank only credits some days later. At leas this is my experience. 

In terms of frustration, I have the impression that it is more frustrating for the people waiting for their refunds not to know what is going on. People wonder where is the bottle neck? Crystal? The travel agent? The bank? 

Ivi

All of the above...  But in fairness, a lot of it is Crystal.  The bank portion is just an example on the variance from person-to-person though, there are literally dozens of factors along the way that will cause one person who cancels later to get a refund faster.  Another example are parties Crystal has to wait on for portions of their money to come back in order to return to passengers -- like airlines, destination management companies, governments, etc..  For the most part it looks like Crystal is breaking those pieces apart and returning them as they come in (which may be before or after they process the cruise fare), which is nice, but that that can still impact the customer's timing.

Again, not saying the exercise isn't worth doing, I'd just hate for the next step to become "Why did XX get their refund in 70 days when mine took 85 days?"  The reality is, there is literally no answer for that, just a list of factors that won't ever really amount to an explanation.  

Vince

51 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

All of the above...  But in fairness, a lot of it is Crystal.  The bank portion is just an example on the variance from person-to-person though, there are literally dozens of factors along the way that will cause one person who cancels later to get a refund faster.

Just to clarify my intention, the "end point" for getting a refund is the day it appears in your credit card account.  And yes, the bank is in the loop there also, but it may not always be possible to tell how much of the delay is the bank's fault.  The same would go if you get a check from Crystal that is dated a month previously.  You got the refund when you got it, not on the date printed on the check before it was left to age a few weeks before mailing it to you.  If the check is delayed coming from your credit card instead of Crystal, that is not applicable (to this data) because you received the refund when it appeared in your credit card account.

IMO, instead of wondering why others from the same time frame are getting their refunds and you are not, this observation would be some extra incentive to get your TA to follow up and find out what is going on.  You might be one of those whose refund got lost in the banking system, or maybe Crystal never got your "request" for a refund when you thought they did.

Sail - scheduled date March 1st

Crystal cancelled Feb 21st. 

No refund as of May 28th

Crystal cancellation email of Feb 21st stated

”please note there is no action required on your part.” 
Waiting over 90 days for refund of; air consideration, port charges and full cruise fare.

Sail Date - Dec. 22, 2020 - Cancel Date: March 5, 2020 - refund requested

Sail Date - Dec. 22, 2020 - Cancel Date: April 23, 2020 - refund requested (same as above but different family members cancelled at different times - I paid for both)

Sail Date - May 19, 2020 - Cancelled by Crystal March 18, 2020 - refund requested

No refunds as of 5/27/2020.

Thanks

Chris

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Just to clarify my intention, the "end point" for getting a refund is the day it appears in your credit card account.  And yes, the bank is in the loop there also, but it may not always be possible to tell how much of the delay is the bank's fault.  The same would go if you get a check from Crystal that is dated a month previously.  You got the refund when you got it, not on the date printed on the check before it was left to age a few weeks before mailing it to you.  If the check is delayed coming from your credit card instead of Crystal, that is not applicable (to this data) because you received the refund when it appeared in your credit card account.

IMO, instead of wondering why others from the same time frame are getting their refunds and you are not, this observation would be some extra incentive to get your TA to follow up and find out what is going on.  You might be one of those whose refund got lost in the banking system, or maybe Crystal never got your "request" for a refund when you thought they did.

Sounds good and makes sense...  Just to clarify though, there is definitely a way to see how long the time gap was from the time Crystal submitted the credit and the time your bank posted it, in the case of credit card transactions.  

Each transaction has a slew of dates on it, but generally speaking two dates are shared by most banks on at least a detailed view of the transaction to the customer.  Depending on your bank’s interface, you may have to click on it to see both dates, but your bank should be showing you both.  

The “transaction date” is the date time-stamped by the credit card processing gateway when the charge/credit is submitted.  The “posting date” is the date your bank applied the transaction to your account.  You’ll notice that the gap between the two dates is a lot wider on higher-value credits than charges, for most card issuers.  For all intents and purposes, that transaction date is the date the money left Crystal’s control.  There are multiple parties involved after that, so your bank isn’t solely in control of that timing from there, but you CAN know within a range of hours (depending on what time zone the gateway is in relative to where the charge was physically processed) when Crystal actually submitted the credit if you wished to figure that part out on a card transaction.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
1 hour ago, PaulCG said:

Crystal cancellation email of Feb 21st stated

”please note there is no action required on your part.” 
Waiting over 90 days for refund of; air consideration, port charges and full cruise fare.

Are you sure that "no action required" was not in reference to whatever FCC offer they gave?  Or at that time was a full refund the only offer on the table?  Either way, it sounds like it is time for your TA to find out what the reason (excuse?) for the delay is.

As Vince just posted, I have both dates on my refund from United Airlines for my cancelled flights for the June cruise from Lisbon to London that Crystal cancelled. I cancelled on May 19 and was told by United that it might take 30 days for my refund. That sounded good as 30 is 3 times better than 90!!! However, my refund to my credit card (the United branded card from Chase) was dated May 23 and posted on my account May 26. Of course, May 24 was a Sunday and May 25 was a holiday. Don't ask me how I got that lucky. As Vince has posted numerous times, there are just too many variables, not the least of which is I'm a special person (NOT!). This was a refund of what I consider a substantial amount of money, over $5,700. I will not be holding my breath waiting for the Crystal refund. 😎

Patty

scheduled sail date 7/7/22
I cancelled 3/10/20 with TA

Crystal confirmation of cancelation arrived by email on 3/11/20
no refund as of 5/27/20

3 minutes ago, rabsab said:

scheduled sail date 7/7/22
I cancelled 3/10/20 with TA

Crystal confirmation of cancelation arrived by email on 3/11/20
no refund as of 5/27/20

Had you already made the final payment, and if so was this under the 75/25 policy?

18 minutes ago, rabsab said:

no - just deposit - a little over $4k

cruise was over 2 years in the future - July 2022

Sorry, I missed that last "2".  🙃