Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
SusieQft

Crystal Refund Roll Call

Recommended Posts

On 7/1/2020 at 9:39 PM, avalon1025 said:

Every morning is like Christmas,  I wake up all excited and run down to check my credit card to see if I received a refund!    ...111 days no refund

I know the feeling...I am waiting more than 80 days now for refunds from Lufthansa and a couple of hotels, which I had booked directly via their web page. All hotels I had booked via Expedia were refunded within three weeks of cancelling.

Ivi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, CUTTERSAM said:

Spoke once to the TA from the Crystal site and emailed him a couple of times only to get an automated reply.  I get all sorts of junk from Crystal now I am so frustrated with them I don't even read it.

I just got a special delivery of cash. 153 bags of $100 bills with a note to distribute it to those passengers who had not yet received their refunds. They also sent me a list of names but I don't know who gets how much nor their addresses and thus I'm keeping it all for myself. 🙂 I wish ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my, lesson learned.  I just wrote a fairly lengthy post.  Went back to page 1 to double check that I had included all the requested information before hitting send, returned to find my reply had vanished.  Argh.  So now I will keep this short.

 

Sail date of 3/1/21 for a b2b Asia cruise

4/2/20 Crystal "official" refund requested form received.

7/3/20 93 days and still waiting.

 

Thankfully had "only" paid the 25% deposit totaling $5,812, $1,000 of which is not truly refundable just transferable to a different cruise.   So waiting to see the balance of $4,812 actually refunded. 

 

In June I contacted my agent again to ask about the delay and story of what may (or may not) be happening with the refund as like an idiot I was actually thinking of booking one of their October 2020 Serenity special cruise offerings.   Crystal of course was more than happy to transfer my $5,812 to the October sailing but would not just transfer $400 of it which is the total deposit required for those sailings.   Hmmmm.   I was assured via my agent the refund would be coming by mid July.   Like an idiot I gave them a fresh $400 deposit opting to see if the refund from my April cancellation would actually appear mid July. 

 

Then I too received the Crystal email regarding the refund delays which it sounds like now may not happen until fall.  I had concerns before but now and REALLY not getting a warm fuzzy feeling at this point.   

 

Very sad to see Crystal handling things in this fashion.  We have been die hard fans since 2005, 14 cruises ago.  I knew years ago when they went on their spending binge building the plane , all the river boats and the 2 major ocean liner redos that it seemed like over the top spending.   

 

Will post again if anything changes and we actually ever see any of our money again.  Very sad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, andiamo76 said:

 Like an idiot I gave them a fresh $400 deposit opting to see if the refund from my April cancellation would actually appear mid July. 

I am glad you said it instead of me.

1) there will be no cruise in October

2) I would not give them 1 CENT before they had the decency to refund what they owe me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Believe me for sure now they won’t be getting anymore until I get my initial deposit back. And we see if they pull through this or not.   We made the deposit for the October cruise as friends who have always wanted to try Crystal booked and it was to be a celebratory cruise for a rough year they have been having with serious heart issues and surgery for the wife.     At this point we too don’t think that the October sailings will happen for any of the cruise lines, and have more serious doubts about Crystal.   So if we see our deposit back (less the base amount they will only apply to a future sailing) I will be pleasantly surprised.  A good reminder lesson to not let my heart sway my decision over what my mind and gut instinct is saying.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've decided to put in a dispute with CC company.  Travel Agent furloughed, no contact.  Cannot get through to Crystal. It has not been 90 days or more but hopefully will rattle their cage as over 20K+ for July Symphony cruise.  British Air has a much larger operation but received my $ plus the mileage I used to get to this cruise within a month.  What is Crystal's reason?   I've been bad mouthing the wrong company; it's Crystal that is dogging these refunds whereas I thought BA would take much longer and figure out a way not to refund.  Surprise, surprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Filed credit disputes on July 1.  Three of four refund amounts for two cruises were on my account July 4 with a post date of July 1.   Deposit for September 20 cruise refunded and two for the June 7 cruise but still waiting for the third June 7 refund.  The disputed amounts are still on my account so I need to call the Dispute Department tomorrow to verify.   I thought the disputes automatically come off at time of the refunds.

 

Carole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2020 at 1:51 AM, Paulchili said:

I am glad you said it instead of me.

1) there will be no cruise in October

2) I would not give them 1 CENT before they had the decency to refund what they owe me

You must have a “Crystal Ball” to know so definitively there will be no cruise in October!

sheila

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caroak said:

Filed credit disputes on July 1.  Three of four refund amounts for two cruises were on my account July 4 with a post date of July 1.   Deposit for September 20 cruise refunded and two for the June 7 cruise but still waiting for the third June 7 refund.  The disputed amounts are still on my account so I need to call the Dispute Department tomorrow to verify.   I thought the disputes automatically come off at time of the refunds.

 

Carole

Were either of your cruises cancelled by Crystal or did you initiate the cancellation and refund request?  We have thought of filing a dispute with our credit card company but not sure just how to go about doing it given we cancelled for a cruise to take place next February.  We will be cancelling the October sailing ($400 deposit deemed to be non refundable and only allowed to roll it forward),  but are waiting to see if they cancel first.  Thus for now don't think we can file under "failure to deliver".

Also did you get a full deposit refund or did they withhold the piece they keep "to be applied to a future booking"?

Thanks for posting your good news update!   Truly happy for you.  Always glad when at least one more person gets a refund.  And the money clears....!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, andiamo76 said:

Were either of your cruises cancelled by Crystal or did you initiate the cancellation and refund request?  We have thought of filing a dispute with our credit card company but not sure just how to go about doing it given we cancelled for a cruise to take place next February.  We will be cancelling the October sailing ($400 deposit deemed to be non refundable and only allowed to roll it forward),  but are waiting to see if they cancel first.  Thus for now don't think we can file under "failure to deliver".

Also did you get a full deposit refund or did they withhold the piece they keep "to be applied to a future booking"?

Thanks for posting your good news update!   Truly happy for you.  Always glad when at least one more person gets a refund.  And the money clears....!  

We cancelled both cruises and didn't want to wait around for Crystal to cancel and then wait months for them to issue a refund.  The September 20 cruise was deposit only which was refunded less the $200 admin fee.  Not sure of our status on the June cruise for the third refund amount.  Between myself and our TA we were given conflicting information and received conflicting cancellation statements.  Crystal kept changing their policy at that time so not sure how we'll end up.  The last refund amount was the largest and I'll call the Dispute Dept. tomorrow to try and find out where we stand with that one.

 

It's easy to file a dispute.  Just call your credit card bank (ours is Chase) and tell them the reason for the dispute and they'll issue a temporary credit.  I think in our case, and as others have mentioned, as soon as the dispute was filed it triggered a refund although Chase gives them 35 days to respond.  Good luck!

 

Carole

Edited by caroak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

You must have a “Crystal Ball” to know so definitively there will be no cruise in October!

sheila

I do/ What else would you like to know? 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, caroak said:

Filed credit disputes on July 1.  Three of four refund amounts for two cruises were on my account July 4 with a post date of July 1.   

I suspect that these are temporary credits rather than final refunds.

The CC has to give the merchant an opportunity to answer the charges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I suspect that these are temporary credits rather than final refunds.

The CC has to give the merchant an opportunity to answer the charges.

Three of the four credits are posted twice, once when I disputed them and again a few days later, which is why I believe the second postings are actually refunds.   The second credits have 2019 transaction dates which were our payment dates.   Maybe the refunds had already reached our account when I filed the dispute but had not yet been posted.   

 

Carole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, caroak said:

Maybe the refunds had already reached our account when I filed the dispute but had not yet been posted.

That is entirely possible, at least for the fully paid cruise, because Crystal has been working on the early March cancellations for at least a couple of weeks now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, caroak said:

Filed credit disputes on July 1.  Three of four refund amounts for two cruises were on my account July 4 with a post date of July 1.   Deposit for September 20 cruise refunded and two for the June 7 cruise but still waiting for the third June 7 refund.  The disputed amounts are still on my account so I need to call the Dispute Department tomorrow to verify.   I thought the disputes automatically come off at time of the refunds.

 

Carole

We are in the same boat -pun intended. I filed the dispute on June 29 and got an immediate credit, which showed up on my app that night.  This morning, I see a refund from Crystal which reached Chase on July 2 and posted to my account today. I checked before filing the dispute and Crystal had not processed the refund, so I don't know if they did it when they got the notification of my dispute or if my turn came up on day 108.  I would guess if it was due to the dispute, the credit from Chase will be taken off my account in the next day or so. If not, I will call them.  Please let me know what they tell you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spoke to the Dispute Dept. and got confirmation that the June cruise dispute amounts have been refunded.  The deposit for September is still in the dispute stage so no refund yet (Susie you need to change the roll call for this one).  One of the reasons for the initial confusion was a Chase rep (not from the Dispute Dept.) gave me the wrong info on what had actually been refunded.  I called two more times to verify and those agents told me only the Dispute Dept. has access to that information.  

 

When I check my balance online the refunds are posted twice so credit balance is not accurate.  I was told the balance would be adjusted on my next statement.  Let's hope it all shakes out as it should.

 

Carole

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much Carole for posting each step you take, the contacts and responses.  It helps.  What a run around and time consuming process.    

 

 

 

        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A miracle, two refunds appeared on my credit cards this morning.  I had filed disputes, but at 120 days Crystal posted before the resolutions.  The amounts were also correct.  Still totally disappointed in Crystal’s handling of this process this late into the game.  😢
Please update the deposits for 01/2022 and 08/2022 were received.  A thank you

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TUCKERTOOTS said:

A miracle, two refunds appeared on my credit cards this morning.  I had filed disputes, but at 120 days Crystal posted before the resolutions.  The amounts were also correct.  Still totally disappointed in Crystal’s handling of this process this late into the game.  😢
Please update the deposits for 01/2022 and 08/2022 were received.  A thank you

 

I don’t think it was a miracle- I think it was the dispute. Carole(caroak), as well as  you and I had the same experience. Crystal refunded the money soon after a dispute was filed with the credit card companies. Mine occurred within four days ((and posted to my Chase account three days after that). 
     I called Chase today to cancel the dispute, and the rep said that refunds after disputes against airlines and cruise lines often happen quickly as the merchant has to pay the credit card company a fee if the dispute is settled in the customers favor. 

Congrats on the refund.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Benita said:

I don’t think it was a miracle- I think it was the dispute. Carole(caroak), as well as  you and I had the same experience. Crystal refunded the money soon after a dispute was filed with the credit card companies. Mine occurred within four days ((and posted to my Chase account three days after that). 
     I called Chase today to cancel the dispute, and the rep said that refunds after disputes against airlines and cruise lines often happen quickly as the merchant has to pay the credit card company a fee if the dispute is settled in the customers favor. 

Congrats on the refund.
 

 

Chase verified to me that the refunds were not in my account and the dispute is what trigger the refunds.  The agent said this is usually how it happens.  It's a shame we had to twist Crystal's arm in this manner to get our due. Certainly not 6 star luxury service!

 

Carole

Edited by caroak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Benita said:

I don’t think it was a miracle- I think it was the dispute. Carole(caroak), as well as  you and I had the same experience. Crystal refunded the money soon after a dispute was filed with the credit card companies. Mine occurred within four days ((and posted to my Chase account three days after that). 
     I called Chase today to cancel the dispute, and the rep said that refunds after disputes against airlines and cruise lines often happen quickly as the merchant has to pay the credit card company a fee if the dispute is settled in the customers favor. 

Congrats on the refund.
 

Glad it worked for you and Carole - not for me so far.

I filed the dispute on 6/27 and was told that the merchant has till 8/23 to reply.

I was given conditional credit but NOT a refund.

Edited by Paulchili

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Glad it worked for you and Carole - not for me so far.

I filed the dispute on 6/27 and was told that the merchant has till 8/23 to reply.

I was given conditional credit but NOT a refund.

I was given a conditional credit and told Crystal had 35 days to reply. Crystal “replied”  by  giving me the refund a few days later and I called Chase to have them remove the conditional credit and end the dispute. The rep said Chase would have done so without my call at the 35 day point if they saw the refund.My dispute was on 6/29. It can take awhile for the credit card company to show the 
refund- in my case it was only four days.

     I don’t know which credit card you used, but Chase allows 35 days for the merchant to respond. If Crystal feels you are owed the refund, I would be surprised if you don’t get it soon. You may want to check with Crystal and see if they issued the refund because some have posted that it can take weeks to show up due to the credit card company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Benita said:

I was given a conditional credit and told Crystal had 35 days to reply. Crystal “replied”  by  giving me the refund a few days later and I called Chase to have them remove the conditional credit and end the dispute. The rep said Chase would have done so without my call at the 35 day point if they saw the refund.My dispute was on 6/29. It can take awhile for the credit card company to show the 
refund- in my case it was only four days.

     I don’t know which credit card you used, but Chase allows 35 days for the merchant to respond. If Crystal feels you are owed the refund, I would be surprised if you don’t get it soon. You may want to check with Crystal and see if they issued the refund because some have posted that it can take weeks to show up due to the credit card company.

Well, it’s a bit different in a sense that the CC I used(Citi) over a year ago is now closed. Even though it is closed now, they are the ones who filed the dispute.

Not sure how Crystal’s refund will be handled by the the bank or Crystal. Probably Crystal will try to send the money back and Citi will send me a check?

In either case, I will know when the money was refunded by Crystal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...