Cruise Critic Community
SusieQft

Crystal Refund Roll Call

I called Barclays (JetBlue CC) for help with dispute.  After waiting on hold for a bit, a recording said to please handle disputes on the website as they were not taking any calls for those issues (Corona, everything Corona). I pored over the website looking for direction on how to start my dispute.  I finally came across a page that instructed me to copy and send relevant info so they could process the dispute, which I did.  It needed to be mailed USPS and 2 weeks later I got my reply " we cannot help you with this request, please call the number on the back of your card" So guys, when and if I get my refund, my next step is cancelling the Jet Blue card.  Now at 114 days.

Starj92

cancelled 4/27

cruise was to be June 26

have disputed on my CC’s - pending  

16 minutes ago, Starj92 said:

Starj92

cancelled 4/27

cruise was to be June 26

have disputed on my CC’s - pending  

Which CC? Amex seems most responsive.

We used Citi American Airlines card and received provisional credit as they investigate.  We also used American Express and they did not provide a credit but are investigating.  

Cruise to depart Venice on 5/10

Crystal cancelled on 4/2

100% refund (cruise + airfare) requested and acknowledged 4/14

Now 90 days, nothing yet

Traveling companion, same itinerary requested 100% refund and acknowledged on 4/2

112 days for them, nothing yet

My patience was finally rewarded.

Symphony 4/23/20 cruise cancelled by Crystal on 2/27. Refunded by Crystal 7/9. Posted to my Chase credit card account 7/12. 133 days. No explanation provided to my TA despite asking as to why my refund took over a month longer than everyone else I knew booked on the same cruise. 

48 minutes ago, TER777 said:

Symphony 4/23/20 cruise cancelled by Crystal on 2/27. Refunded by Crystal 7/9. Posted to my Chase credit card account 7/12. 133 days. No explanation provided to my TA despite asking as to why my refund took over a month longer than everyone else I knew booked on the same cruise. 

I was booked on that cruise, too. Refunded last week, but only after I lodged a dispute, so you were not alone.

1 hour ago, TER777 said:

Glad you received your refund but shame on Crystal that it took over 133 days.  That's almost 50% longer than their estimated 90 days.  Others are still waiting longer per the Refund Roll Call.  What's up with Crystal that's causing these delays?

On 6/1/2020 at 11:32 AM, machotspur said:

Sail Date 18th May 2020

Crystal Cancelled 19th March 2020

Requested 100% refund 20th March 2020

No refund received yet (68 Days)

Refund for this cancelled cruise received today - 117 days since Crystal cancelled it ! 

Scheduled sail date: 03/01/21

I cancelled cruise on: 03/19/20

Requested refund of deposit 

No refund as of: 07/14/20

Many thanks. 

Why are people not doing chargebacks via their credit cards?  There are many posters here who received their refunds (not just the credit from the CC but the actual refund from Crystal less the admin fee) within a day or two of the chargeback being initiated.

Hi, please explain the difference between disputing a charge and requesting a chargeback or are they the same?  We have disputed on our cc.

4 hours ago, Starj92 said:

Hi, please explain the difference between disputing a charge and requesting a chargeback or are they the same?  We have disputed on our cc.

semantics. They are one and the same.

We are now at Day 121 with no updated information from Crystal or our TA. The latest is "working at about 120 days from cancellation date".  

We were looking forward to join the Crystal Family on the "Around the World 2022" Itinerary after cruising for many years on other lines. 

We have tried unsuccessfully to dispute with USAA VISA. Our requests  have been denied due to being "beyond the 60 days of the original charge & statement date" . 

We are not trying to dispute the original deposit charges, but to dispute the fact that Crystal acknowledged and authorized the credit of our cancellation of deposit on March 18 and keeps moving the goalposts on when refunds will actually be issued. 

Does anyone have any insight?  

23 hours ago, cruisr said:

Why are people not doing chargebacks via their credit cards?  There are many posters here who received their refunds (not just the credit from the CC but the actual refund from Crystal less the admin fee) within a day or two of the chargeback being initiated.

In my case, I put my trust in Crystal to live by their 60-90 day refund committment, and therefore missed the 60-day dispute window with my credit card provider. Lesson learned. Next time I will wait 45 days and then call the credit card company for a refund. 

43 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

In my case, I put my trust in Crystal to live by their 60-90 day refund committment, and therefore missed the 60-day dispute window with my credit card provider. Lesson learned. Next time I will wait 45 days and then call the credit card company for a refund. 

That 60 day deadline must be unique to your CC.

My claim is for a Crystal deposit made in Feb 2019 and I filed the claim in April 2020. That's more than 1 year later - no problem.

In fact, that card has been closed for a while now - still not a problem.

On 7/14/2020 at 7:54 AM, cruisr said:

I also wonder why people are waiting a ridiculously long time for refunds yet still hesitate to file a credit card dispute.  The chargebacks are what triggered our refunds.  This was confirmed by Chase and I was told that's what usually happens.  If we didn't  go the dispute route we would probably still be waiting. 

Carole

I requested 2 refunds through Chase; one for the deposit going back to August 2018 and then the final payment last year for a cancelled cruise. Cruise was to depart July 25, Crystal cancelled May.  I have received the 2018 deposit back even though Crystal tried to deny it according to Chase.  So charges back that far are being honored by Chase as it was a purchase that was never used and merchant cancelled.  I had all the documentation to prove it and I feel that really helped.  Bravo to Chase; not so much Crystal.

I made my post 120 days inquiry to Crystal, their current response below.  I get more and more worried daily.  We did a chargeback with AMEX and Chase today: 

Please note that refunds are being handled in the order they are received. Because we have an unprecedented record number of claims, and this process is manual, some cases are taking longer than expected. Crystal is fully committed to honoring our obligations to our guests.

I finally got fed up waiting for Crystal to refund the amount due me from their statement dated 4/1/20 documenting that they were to credit me.  I just got off the phone with Chase for my Sapphire Reserve card and disputed the charges giving Chase the info about how Crystal's 90 days changed to 120 days or more.  I have previously documented in this thread my info and will keep you posted with what happens with Chase.  I am already on the spreadsheet.

Crystal Serenity, Venice to Rome

July 19, 2020

4 cabins

1 hour ago, Raptordash said:

I finally got fed up waiting for Crystal to refund the amount due me from their statement dated 4/1/20 documenting that they were to credit me.  I just got off the phone with Chase for my Sapphire Reserve card and disputed the charges giving Chase the info about how Crystal's 90 days changed to 120 days or more.  I have previously documented in this thread my info and will keep you posted with what happens with Chase.  I am already on the spreadsheet.

Crystal Serenity, Venice to Rome

July 19, 2020

4 cabins

If your experience is the same as mine, you will see the credit from Chase on your account by tomorrow and Crystal will refund your money in 2-6days. When that occurs, It will look as if you have twice as  much credit on your account as you asked for. I called Chase at that point to stop the dispute and they removed their provisional credit. I asked if my call was necessary and they said Crystal would have notified Chase before the 35 day dispute time was up and the credit would have been removed whether I called or not. 
    I put the 2-6 day timeframe in as Chase may not show the Crystal credit the day they get it. Sometimes, it takes a few days for it to “clear” Chase and be credited. 

On 7/14/2020 at 5:23 AM, machotspur said:

Refund for this cancelled cruise received today - 117 days since Crystal cancelled it ! 

I am on day 117 today.  Just waiting for my deposit, had not paid in full thankfully.

On 5/26/2020 at 11:00 PM, SusieQft said:

This thread is simply and ONLY to track how long it is taking to get refunds from Crystal.  I will transfer the data from your posts into a spreadsheet that you can see at:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J4VzFbOtV0IvGFMcPxYm3yMB476abmEb8qSCjFUoZKg/edit?usp=sharing

Please post the date your cruise was to sail and the date you requested a refund.  If you have not received your refund yet, please come back and post again when you receive it.  If you have already received a refund, please also post that information.  It will give the rest of us more hope.  If you already posted any of this information on another thread, please check the spreadsheet and post an update here with any dates that are missing,

All the data will be transferred to the spreadsheet, and you will always be able to find it at the link in post #1.   By posting when you cancelled your Crystal cruise AND when you received the refund, maybe we can see a trend and get an idea when future refunds will be coming.

Here is my entry:

scheduled sail date 4/21/20
I cancelled 3/11/20, requested 75% refund + 25% FCC
no refunds as of 5/25/20

Or for others, the second line might be:
Crystal cancelled 3/18/20, requested 100% refund on 3/19/20

Or:
Crystal cancelled 3/18/20, took 125% FCC
still waiting for refund of port taxes

Or:
received refund [of port taxes] on 5/25/20

Etc.

Hopefully, this thread will be for data collection only.  There is already a robust discussion of this topic on another thread, and I suggest that any commentary and discussion be posted there at:

You are welcome to add Cancelled by passenger 4/3 for sailing 10/15 Endeavor. Sailing paid in full but not in penalty. Credit Card dispute started 7/6/20  no refund as of 7/15/20.  Refund promised within 90 days several times. Thank you.

3 hours ago, Benita said:

I put the 2-6 day timeframe in as Chase may not show the Crystal credit the day they get it. Sometimes, it takes a few days for it to “clear” Chase and be credited. 

I am glad that this was your (and some others') experience.

It is not mine.

I filed the dispute with Citi on 6/27. While I have received an immediate provisional credit my dispute has not been permanently resolved in 2 to 6 days.

I did receive a note from Citi today that they have heard back from Crystal and are "studying" their response and will let me know in 10 days. If my dispute is successful - and I don't see why it wouldn't be - I will receive my refund a lot sooner than 120+ days from Crystal.

22 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I am glad that this was your (and some others') experience.

It is not mine.

I filed the dispute with Citi on 6/27. While I have received an immediate provisional credit my dispute has not been permanently resolved in 2 to 6 days.

I did receive a note from Citi today that they have heard back from Crystal and are "studying" their response and will let me know in 10 days. If my dispute is successful - and I don't see why it wouldn't be - I will receive my refund a lot sooner than 120+ days from Crystal.

Had Crystal issued you a refund notification? My refund was processed on March 18, so there was nothing to dispute. Crystal had not responded to Chase when I called Chase to end the dispute- Crystal  just had the refund applied to my credit card. I suppose Crystal has an issue with your situation. I hope it works out for you.