Cruise Critic Community
SusieQft

Crystal Refund Roll Call

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Benita said:

Had Crystal issued you a refund notification? My refund was processed on March 18, so there was nothing to dispute. Crystal had not responded to Chase when I called Chase to end the dispute- Crystal  just had the refund applied to my credit card. I suppose Crystal has an issue with your situation. I hope it works out for you.

I have heard absolutely nothing from Crystal at all but they are hearing from me.

Why should they waste their time communicating with me - do I matter to them at all? (sarcasm emoji)

I've had 2 Crystal cruises (sort of) - they were at the same time. My first and my last were on the same cruise.

I reluctantly booked this cruise with friends because I wanted to give them a second chance - that is now not a dilemma any longer.

Plenty other cruise lines in all categories to choose from.

Edited by Paulchili

It's been 109 days for us and no refund - this is for the entire family that cruises together, and occupies 4 suites on each of our past cruises.

In comparison, American Airlines refunded our $17,000 in airfare within 3 days of cancellation. Every other paid reservation from others (hotels, insurance, ground trans) has been refunded to us within the first 30 days.

They're taking an "interest free" loan from us without our authorization, and we're having to pay the interest on their loan, along with losing our ability to have our cash work for us - think about your financial loss as it is compounding.

After cruising Crystal exclusively for over a decade, we are all thinking twice about traveling with Crystal in the future (probably not considering how the family is feeling about how we are treated).

Crystal is in trouble financially for sure!

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SFRiA said:

It's been 109 days for us and no refund - this is for the entire family that cruises together, and occupies 4 suites on each of our past cruises.

In comparison, American Airlines refunded our $17,000 in airfare within 3 days of cancellation. Every other paid reservation from others (hotels, insurance, ground trans) has been refunded to us within the first 30 days.

They're taking an "interest free" loan from us without our authorization, and we're having to pay the interest on their loan, along with losing our ability to have our cash work for us - think about your financial loss as it is compounding.

After cruising Crystal exclusively for over a decade, we are all thinking twice about traveling with Crystal in the future (probably not considering how the family is feeling about how we are treated).

Crystal is in trouble financially for sure!

I feel the same way, I am still going through the chargeback process (hours on hold with crappy Chase, AMEX was a breeze), but having just past 125 days, I'm close to done with Crystal.   I find the lack of communication (the one email over 4 months from their CEO is a bit too late) and now that they have (in my view) blown through the 120 day period, I really don't trust them anymore (I've been given every pre-written answer in their book).   At this point I need to do what I can to get my cash back.  If I ran my company like this, I'd have no company.

Edited by avalon1025

1 hour ago, avalon1025 said:

I feel the same way, I am still going through the chargeback process (hours on hold with crappy Chase, AMEX was a breeze), but having just past 125 days, I'm close to done with Crystal.   I find the lack of communication (the one email over 4 months from their CEO is a bit too late) and now that they have (in my view) blown through the 120 day period, I really don't trust them anymore (I've been given every pre-written answer in their book).   At this point I need to do what I can to get my cash back.  If I ran my company like this, I'd have no company.

I never miss an opportunity to post on Crystal FB and Instagram pages.  A simple "when are we getting our refunds". I don't feel bad about hijacking the ads, after all, I am paying for it...we all are.

I’m not sure Susie is keeping track of this type of information, but I filed a formal dispute for the charges with my credit card company on 7/13/20 for the Sept. 20, 2020 cruise that was cancelled.

Posted (edited)
On 7/15/2020 at 6:26 PM, Paulchili said:

I am glad that this was your (and some others') experience.

It is not mine.

I filed the dispute with Citi on 6/27. While I have received an immediate provisional credit my dispute has not been permanently resolved in 2 to 6 days.

I did receive a note from Citi today that they have heard back from Crystal and are "studying" their response and will let me know in 10 days. If my dispute is successful - and I don't see why it wouldn't be - I will receive my refund a lot sooner than 120+ days from Crystal.

Well - I am here to say that CC disputes DO work.

I got credited on my CC for the deposit (minus $200/pp) on 7/15.

I cancelled the cruise on 4/21 and if I had waited for my refund from Crystal w/o dispute, 120 days would have been on 8/19 (or possibly even later). Thus by filing the dispute I gained over 1 month in speed of refund.

It's a shame that Crystal forces one to do that. If they can refund the money under 90 days after a dispute they should be able to do it on their own as well.

Edited by Paulchili

It is encouraging to read of each refund as they come through.  What a relief that is for each person.  But yes, very sad it seems that more often than not it takes filing a dispute to get action.  

We too filed a dispute with Chase Sapphire yesterday, day 105 or thereabouts of waiting.  

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, andiamo76 said:

We too filed a dispute with Chase Sapphire yesterday, day 105 or thereabouts of waiting

This will obviously make no difference for you but I think filing sooner will get you the money faster. You are already close to the 120 day time and the dispute will not speed things up very much. In fact, under certain scenarios it may prolong it.

When the CC files a claim against a merchant, the merchant has up to 2 months to reply. If Crystal chooses to go that route, it might delay your refund.

Hopefully they will respond quickly and you'll get your refund fast.

Edited by Paulchili

3 hours ago, Psoque said:

I’m not sure Susie is keeping track of this type of information, but I filed a formal dispute for the charges with my credit card company on 7/13/20 for the Sept. 20, 2020 cruise that was cancelled.

Yes, I added it to the comments column.

Processed a non receipt of services claim with Chase.  Once I got through, its was super straight forward.   I recommend, at this point, if you haven't received your refund to process a claim with your credit card(s).  I'm over 125 days with zero additional communication from Crystal and obviously no refund.   Sadly, this has impacted my desire to book with Crystal, we will keep our 2021 reservation (its just deposit), and see how this all goes.  Worst case we dispute the deposit and call it a day with Crystal.   As a business leader, I've been very impacted by the events happening across the globe.   I have found being transparent and honest with vendors and customers has helped save not only our staff but our company (we are retailed based and had little to no revenue inbound for months, so I can imagine what Crystal is going through).   With that, its no excuse to take advantage of your customers by failing to uphold your promises over and over again.   I blame the CEO fo failing to read the situation.  I for one would have no issue giving Crystal as much time as they need to process my refund, but with their poor communication, those days are over

6 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Well - I am here to say that CC disputes DO work.

It's a shame that Crystal forces one to do that. If they can refund the money under 90 days after a dispute they should be able to do it on their own as well.

I'm happy for you Paulchili.  It certainly does appear that your cc dispute expedited your refund. "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."

We got mail 😄

After persistent (yet polite) follow-up, we finally received the air consideration that was promised on Feb 21 for our cancelled Asia cruise.  Cheque dated July 7, postmarked July 8, arrived July 16, deposited July 17.

So true Paulchili, filing our claim now may slow things down but clearly from other posts it does seem to have helped even at a "late date".  At this point I figure anything is a gamble.   All I can do is explore every angle I come across.

28 minutes ago, MightyQuinn said:

We got mail 😄

After persistent (yet polite) follow-up, we finally received the air consideration that was promised on Feb 21 for our cancelled Asia cruise.  Cheque dated July 7, postmarked July 8, arrived July 16, deposited July 17.

MQ - glad you finally got satisfaction.

Better late than never.

Interestingly, a week or so ago I listened in on a zoom call a major travel agency hosted with 2 of the top sales Mgr types in Crystal.  Basically a major promotion spiel by the Crystal reps.  Quite unimpressed.  When asked about the delay in refunds they skirted the issue with the usual empty excuses  including "they had to install check printers in homes for those working from home".  I thought to myself, how many checks and for what can there possibly be?  Seems nowadays most people use Credit cards.  Sounded bogus but now I know of an actual check.  Ah ha!  Glad you got your promised air $. 

4 hours ago, andiamo76 said:

I thought to myself, how many checks and for what can there possibly be?  Seems nowadays most people use Credit cards.  Sounded bogus but now I know of an actual check.  Ah ha!  Glad you got your promised air $. 

Payment by cheque was the only option to receive the air consideration offered by Crystal for early Asia cruises.  I'm glad they finally paid, even if it took 146 days.

19 hours ago, Paulchili said:

This will obviously make no difference for you but I think filing sooner will get you the money faster. You are already close to the 120 day time and the dispute will not speed things up very much. In fact, under certain scenarios it may prolong it.

When the CC files a claim against a merchant, the merchant has up to 2 months to reply. If Crystal chooses to go that route, it might delay your refund.

Hopefully they will respond quickly and you'll get your refund fast.

Chase gives the merchant 35 days to respond, but they post a conditional credit immediately. Crystal can potentially buy itself more time, by waiting the 35 days, but the passenger has use of the credit immediately. When Crystal gives the refund, it shows up on the Chase account as the credit from Chase plus the refund. I called Chase to  tell them when I saw the refund. 
    Interestingly, I had put my original $200 deposit on a different Chase card, where my husband was the primary cardholder and had not bothered to dispute that, but while I was chatting with the Chase rep, I mentioned it to him and he said although one card was a Sapphire and the other a Freedom, he would give the $200 conditional credit to my husbands card and just copy all the info from my dispute. 
Crystal  refunded the $200 two days later. 
     I did get an answer, a few days ago,  to my email to Crystal sent a month earlier, at day 91 apologizing for the delay in replying, but noting that my issue was resolved as Crystal had issued the refund. 

Day 120 - refund received for cancellation processed on March 20th. Good luck to everyone.   

38 minutes ago, csto said:

Day 120 - refund received for cancellation processed on March 20th. Good luck to everyone.   

Did you dispute or wait? Thank you!

39 minutes ago, csto said:

I cancelled on 3/20, 120 days ago as well. Hoping I will get something soon!

5 minutes ago, krisbelledc said:

Did you dispute or wait? Thank you!

Waited

Susie, I noticed in the Deposit Only section our cruise is still listed as not yet received with a credit card dispute.  I was assured by Chase that all the disputes have been finalized and refunded.  I haven't received my latest Chase statement and at this point it's confusing to figure out the exact dates on line with both temporary and permanent credits still listed.  Glad this refund mess is behind us.

Carole

Carole, thank you for the update.  I put it down for today, but if you confirm an earlier date just let me know and I will change it.

Many of you are talking about getting wonderful results from credit card disputes.  So far, it sounds like most of those are after waiting 90 days or close to that.  My TA just informed me that generally when people enter a dispute and it has been less than the "promised" 90 days, that the credit card company finds in favor of the cruise line and cancels the dispute because they are not yet really "due".  She did cite one specific example of this happening on another cruise line, and caused the ultimate refund to be delayed even more than it probably would have been without the dispute.  She did not have a similar case with Crystal, but was of the opinion that this would be likely on Crystal also.

So I have a question:  Have any of you who have entered a dispute within the first month  after the refund request had Crystal respond by promptly issuing a refund?  If and when that happens, or if your dispute is resolved against you, please let us know.

2 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Carole, thank you for the update.  I put it down for today, but if you confirm an earlier date just let me know and I will change it.

I believe when my statement says "rebill" Crystal that dispute amount is permanent since Chase had already refunded me the disputed amount.  The "rebill" date for the deposit only cruise is 7/16.   The line items are confusing because the amounts initially  show up twice and some double refunds are still on the statement.  

Carole